The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Captain Neo

This is something we call reality, the reality of running a business, something I seemingly am reminded of by our PRO-BIG BUSINESS cabal every time I get into a serious discussion here.

You were disappointed in KRR? Awe. So was I. Such is life. WDW is a business after all.

Nothing ever gets built as seen in the artwork.

I'm somewhat confused here. Disney has always been a business yet major attractions built prior to the late 90s/early 00s were never bare-bones in the way that attractions like KRR were. OLC is running a business too yet they still maintain Walt era high standards and were building beautiful, lavish attractions at the same time we were getting lower and lower quality stuff. Why did Eisner and the parks leadership think it was ok to treat American guests like third class citizens and serve us garbage? I know Iger hasn't done much but at least the attraction projects approved under his tenure have been of a higher quality than what WDW was getting in the early 00s (Say what you will about New Fantasyland I will take it any day over Dino-RAMA and that aladdin spinner in Adventure land and I have no doubt the upcoming Avatar attractions will deliver on a level WDW hasn't seen since the early 90s)

I also disagree with your statement that nothing ever gets built as seen in the artwork since Splash Mountain, Tower of Terror, Tokyo Disneysea and Star tours all delivered as promised by the concept art.

By the way, I am aware of the situation the company was in when Eisner and Wells came in and there is no denying his first decade at the helm was stellar (as a child at the time it was heaven believe me). However, you can't deny things started to go south shortly after the death of Frank Wells and Jeff Katzenberg's departure from the film studio. It suggests the possibility that Wells and the leadership team at the time were the real talent and Eisner was mostly getting the credit for the work of others. If that is not the case, then I believe Eisner simply got too complacent and arrogant after that first successful decade.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
which again for the most part is your perspective on avatar..obviously it was popular for many reasons but people will spin it to fit their ideas and opinions, which is fine that's what this board is for

in terms of the magic bands in your opinion are a huge disaster..ill admit im not thrilled about them but I haven't tried them out yet either (I will in June)
but both paragraphs are primarily how you feel
I agree with your line of thinking. However, you don't need to use it to determine my magic plus is a disaster. I have used the magic bands and I like them (a whole lot actually). They aren't a lone reason to go back to WDW but for me they enhanced my vacation and I enjoyed FP+ too (though I can see why others have a problem with the 3 reservation limit). Despite those positive reviews it's still a disaster because of the opportunity cost on the money spent. $1B could have gone a long way to restoring WDW to highest quality. They could have invested in huge transportation and park infrastructure and ride refurbs. They could have greenlit a DCA 2.0 like rebuild at DHS. Instead we got magic bands. Now add to that the rumors that cost overruns are leading to a spending freeze on new projects and it's officially a train wreck. Even if those rumors are false or highly exaggerated it's still a bit of a disaster in my mind.

Nemo14

And Queens. Dont forget all the Queens that get ignored.
laugh2.gif

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm now 100% curious to see what you think is the best looking Disney stateside park....

With a few minor exceptions, its Epcot. Sure, the attractions in FW aren't what they used to be, and there's some temporary theming problems, but compared to DAK its great.

Here's a few quick reasons why I don't like DAK:

There's only a couple of pathways to get around the park, and no quick transportation options available anywhere. There's no train circling the park (only the Rafiki's Planet Watch which is cut off from the rest of the park), no boat ride, etc.. The Tree of Life "Hub" doesn't really make things easier to get to the way MK does.

The pathways are too narrow and bumpy in many places, and with the average stroller brigade, it makes it difficult to get around.

Then the parade (which I realize is leaving now) causes massive backups....I worked as a contractor for a few months and when I had to get from the Safari area over to Dinoland...if the parade was going on, it was nigh impossible to move.

There's very few air conditioned places, only a few shops and eateries. In the summer, with the brutal heat and trees everywhere, the humidity seems to be much worse.

It is easy to get lost in the park....since the entire park is just trees, trees, trees everywhere.

The theming, while it is accurate, is far from the idealistic versions you see in the other parks. They're very run down, dilapidated and poor looking. While they are definitely accurate to the source "material" in this sense, it never gives me the positive vibes of the other Disney parks. This is more of a personal preference thing with me, and I realize that a lot of people disagree on that point. I even had a discussion with Eddie Sotto on here once about it.

To me, the park is built on too much authenticity and not enough on accessibilty for the average theme park guest.

WDWDad13

Yuck it up and question me all you want... :) I don't care...believe what you want to believe but Disney is certainly not just sitting on their hands for future development ideas - enjoy

Bolna

With a few minor exceptions, its Epcot. Sure, the attractions in FW aren't what they used to be, and there's some temporary theming problems, but compared to DAK its great.

A lot of what you say is not about the look of DAK, but about the infrastructure of the park. And it is amazing how people can see the same things differently. My sister on her first trip was totally shocked by the ugliness of Epcot's Future World. She kept calling it the concrete jungle (themed after an abandoned 1980s shopping mall - her words, not mine) and refused to spend time there in the middle of the day because she claimed it was the hottest park of them all. And if you are on the trek around World Showcase, there really is not a lot of shade, very little air conditioning (besides shops, those are available at AK as well) and no easy way out. Those boats really are not a big help either. They take ages to arrive (while you are waiting - possibly standing in the bright sunshine) and then don't get you really close to the exit.

However, while I love DAK, I think the prettiest stateside Disney park might still be the original one over in California...

SirLink

Here's a few quick reasons why I don't like DAK:

There's only a couple of pathways to get around the park, and no quick transportation options available anywhere. There's no train circling the park (only the Rafiki's Planet Watch which is cut off from the rest of the park), no boat ride, etc.. The Tree of Life "Hub" doesn't really make things easier to get to the way MK does.

The pathways are too narrow and bumpy in many places, and with the average stroller brigade, it makes it difficult to get around.

Then the parade (which I realize is leaving now) causes massive backups....I worked as a contractor for a few months and when I had to get from the Safari area over to Dinoland...if the parade was going on, it was nigh impossible to move.

There's very few air conditioned places, only a few shops and eateries. In the summer, with the brutal heat and trees everywhere, the humidity seems to be much worse.

It is easy to get lost in the park....since the entire park is just trees, trees, trees everywhere.

The theming, while it is accurate, is far from the idealistic versions you see in the other parks. They're very run down, dilapidated and poor looking. While they are definitely accurate to the source "material" in this sense, it never gives me the positive vibes of the other Disney parks. This is more of a personal preference thing with me, and I realize that a lot of people disagree on that point. I even had a discussion with Eddie Sotto on here once about it.

To me, the park is built on too much authenticity and not enough on accessibilty for the average theme park guest.

For me Futureworld, has some of the worst theming. It needs more reflective glass, water, trees and chrome to get across the sense of a modernity ... which Epcot lacks.

On the note of theming DAK has the idealistic version of Africa and Asia or the "safe" Africa and Asia. But some of your complaints like "it is easy to get lost" and the textured ground concrete are why I prefer DAK in terms of best looking best designed.

RSoxNo1

Agreed DAK is the best looking (Disney) park Stateside.
DCA post 2.0 version has some pretty impressive parts. It also has it's eyesores like Dinorama but I don't think they're as visually offensive. DAK is my favorite stateside park, but don't dismiss how much beautification was done at DCA.

SirLink

DCA post 2.0 version has some pretty impressive parts. It also has it's eyesores like Dinorama but I don't think they're as visually offensive. DAK is my favorite stateside park, but don't dismiss how much beautification was done at DCA.

For what they were going for with Dinorama it is themed really well including the fake road portion. I feel that DCA is disjointed to the point of distraction, "best looking park" must have a cohesive design feel. But it always seemed strange to me as a Brit why would I want to visit Disney version of California when I could go out and see California including the getting up and close with a real Bear in Sequoia National Park ...

Last edited:

Cesar R M

In the case of just WDW there really is no comparing the Eisner years to the Iger years. The old times really were better. Remember that under Eisner they added 2 whole parks (or 2 half parks for some people) not to mention 2 water parks and tons of resorts. It really was a remarkable time. The only knock you could make is that in the end of the Eisner era he did begin some of the cost cutting that has accelerated under Iger.
Well its clear that Iger never gave much of a damn to the Park zone, except to monetize on whats built and just add the minimum necessary to keep the whole thing afloat.. while he converted Disney into a Media IP megamammoth.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/03/...s-and-where-to-find-them-planned-as-a-trilogy

Personally I think you're talking absolute rubbish but either way this trilogy will be the start of the Potter Expanded Universe. The boy wizard remains as popular as ever and his franchise is about to get a lot bigger.
Well, It will also depend if Harry will appear or not.. the appeal of the chars put a lot on the franchise.
Just like how Harrison Ford's Han Solo is LEGENDARY and the "new" Anakin was utter crap.

That is called pessimism. :p
I think more like "Realism" or Balance between blind optimism and emo levels of pessimism.

I think most of us are hopeful, but not optimistic because of recent history. We are all Disney fans and want them to knock our socks off. I want to have a reason to want to visit the parks again.

I personally don't think their is a lot of substance with Avatar. Pretty visuals definitely, but it's one movie that really isn't part of popular culture the way Star Wars or even Harry Potter is. I think people would be dancing in the streets if a Star Wars land was announced, but nothing HAS been announced. Any hopes or optimism is just pure speculation at this point and nothing more.

What we do have are MagicBands, Fastpass+, a roller coaster that is taking too long to complete, a not-so-great Little Mermaid ride, double Dumbo, and a restaurant. Oh, and pictures of executives breaking ground on Avatar with hopes that it will be completed within the next decade.

Forgive everyone for not being as optimistic as you. I wish I could be. I want to be. I am rooting for Disney and Imagineering. I want my socks to be blown off! But right now the picture in front of us is bleak. And that's Disney's fault, not the fans.
I wish Iger could try at least defend his magicband, mm+ and fastpass systems.. like explaining that the infrastructure was REALLY required to upgrade the ageing systems of Disney's backbone.. I really wish to believe that.

You aren't given sources cause you don't have any... Or is Disney now in the business of feeding B.S. to supposed travel agents?
Why you ask? its always those Bus Drivers! the sneaky drivers!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom