The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

spacemt354

Chili's
With that logic then why even have a "rumors" board

What anyone thinks they know around here usually doesn't pan out and I'm not saying what I know will either so take it for what it's worth

There is a difference between rumors and blue sky rumors.

Rumors are correlated with actual information about potential projects. Rumors are not individual opinion regarding what will happen.

Blue Sky Rumors are when people say things like "maybe Beastly Kingdom will come or maybe Star Wars will come and it will be great" Blue Sky Rumors are more closely related to opinion.

Why have a rumors board? Because it's fun to discuss what might happen next. It's tough to discuss it when we are just trusting your opinion. All you say is Star Wars Land, Avatar, Disney Springs, it will be good but we will have to wait.

Wow, that really leaves a lot of info to discuss in the rumors board regarding those topics. Or do we have to wait for a few years, like you had said, in order to be able to discuss it?

If you're only reading the opinions of the faux insiders, then yes, none of their rumors pan out. However the established insiders on the site stand by their rumors with valid information. They also have a track record of being right. If you feel you have inside information and you want to be taken seriously, then you need to provide information than what you have.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Maybe it had to you, but to a majority of others it hasn't.

If popularity peaked with the release of book 6, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince...

Can you explain why in 2007, the release of book 7, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, broke the record for the fastest selling book of all time? 15 million copies in 24 hours. This record is still held to this day.

If the popularity had peaked by book 6, can you explain why in 2010, the opening of Wonderful World of Harry Potter produced these crowds?
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/06/54408252.jpg

If the popularity had peaked by book 6, can you explain why the theatrical release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 grossed over $1.3 Billion (with a B) making it the 4th highest grossing film of all time and the highest grossing film in the whole Harry Potter franchise?

If the popularity had peaked by book 6, why are Harry Potters film still being shown on TV? Disney own TV stations no doubt.

All of these questions can be summed up with the same answer. Harry Potter is popular among a wide variety of age-groups. You may not personally like it, but that doesn't mean just because you don't like it or don't want Uni to succeed with it, that it isn't still popular.

DW and I waited to buy our copies at midnight for every book from 'The Prisoner of Azkaban' onward. And we paid for them in ADVANCE when was the last time any piece of Disney IP was that successful.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
There is a difference between optimism and delusion.

Of course there is a difference. But I have also seen plenty (including myself) get killed for a bit of optimism.

Here is my thing. I am optimistic that Disney can knock people's socks off with Pandora, and then continue that with some type of Star Wars land. Why am I optimistic, you ask? Because there is so much substance with both, not to mention the enormous number of Star Wars fans as well as new Avatar movies coming out.

Now, I am sure the reply will be, "yeah but all they have done in recent years is let us down with dumbed down attractions." I do not disagree with this. I just feel like these two franchises will be a different story. Could they let me down and do these two "lands" the wrong way and cheapen them? Possibly. But I am hopeful that some of the success from Cars-land will rub off in Florida.

bhg469

Of course there is a difference. But I have also seen plenty (including myself) get killed for a bit of optimism.

Here is my thing. I am optimistic that Disney can knock people's socks off with Pandora, and then continue that with some type of Star Wars land. Why am I optimistic, you ask? Because there is so much substance with both, not to mention the enormous number of Star Wars fans as well as new Avatar movies coming out.

Now, I am sure the reply will be, "yeah but all they have done in recent years is let us down with dumbed down attractions." I do not disagree with this. I just feel like these two franchises will be a different story. Could they let me down and do these two "lands" the wrong way and cheapen them? Possibly. But I am hopeful that some of the success from Cars-land will rub off in Florida.
I'm optimistic that I'll land a new client in Florida and escape the state of NY, I'm optomitic that Abrams will make a star wars worthy of our money. I'm optimistic that the bills will have a winning season again. I have zero faith that we will see a worthwhile attraction inside wdws border for a decade. I don't think I will ever see anything that I love more than haunted mansion ever again.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm optimistic that I'll land a new client in Florida and escape the state of NY, I'm optomitic that Abrams will make a star wars worthy of our money. I'm optimistic that the bills will have a winning season again. I have zero faith that we will see a worthwhile attraction inside wdws border for a decade. I don't think I will ever see anything that I love more than haunted mansion ever again.

That is called pessimism. :p

crispy

I think most of us are hopeful, but not optimistic because of recent history. We are all Disney fans and want them to knock our socks off. I want to have a reason to want to visit the parks again.

I personally don't think their is a lot of substance with Avatar. Pretty visuals definitely, but it's one movie that really isn't part of popular culture the way Star Wars or even Harry Potter is. I think people would be dancing in the streets if a Star Wars land was announced, but nothing HAS been announced. Any hopes or optimism is just pure speculation at this point and nothing more.

What we do have are MagicBands, Fastpass+, a roller coaster that is taking too long to complete, a not-so-great Little Mermaid ride, double Dumbo, and a restaurant. Oh, and pictures of executives breaking ground on Avatar with hopes that it will be completed within the next decade.

Forgive everyone for not being as optimistic as you. I wish I could be. I want to be. I am rooting for Disney and Imagineering. I want my socks to be blown off! But right now the picture in front of us is bleak. And that's Disney's fault, not the fans.

MerlinTheGoat

Optimism is one thing and you're free to have that opinion (though again pretty shaky objective reasons to be optimistic at this point). Posing as a fake insider to troll people is another. We've gone through too many unproven people who come with comments amounting to little more than "nah nah nah, i got info i'm never telling you and can't back up". We just went through one of those regarding the Mine Train debacle with DisneyConstruction23 (there have been countless others such as ThemeParkOne on Twitter), lets not start this nonsense again because it fools NO ONE here at this point...

Cars Land AGAIN only tuned out as well as it did because Lasseter was heavily involved and used what was effectively political blackmail to ensure they didn't value engineer it beyond salvaging. There is NOTHING to suggest that they have learned anything from its success unfortunately. Hell if there were such signs of learning from Cars' success then we'd actually be seeing a greenlit already under construction clone of Cars at DHS already (i'm not saying I want a clone, but that's what the company has always done when they take massive financial successes under serious consideration). Which was under consideration until unfortunate financial circumstances arose. And they'd have taken steps to make some substantial last minute improvements to the New Fantasyland elements that weren't yet anywhere close to completion at the time Cars opened and became a hit. Even the Festival of Fantasy parade as stated was heavily reduced from its intended form.

Despite the efforts of creative talent within the company (and the recent successes of those great efforts at both DCA as well as Hong Kong Disneyland), Iger and his gang still clearly do their best to avoid building the parks organically with new rides of substance. Instead their focus continues to be centered around creating and pushing short term money schemes designed to exploit their customer base without giving them anything of real value in return. Next gen was kind of just a lose lose situation for park goers like us, whether it succeeded for the company or failed. If it succeeded it would simply have sent out a signal that they're doing the right thing, they'd continue to ignore building new good attractions and instead focus on more scams like nextgen instead. But its failure hasn't helped us either because they're just trying to keep it on life support by pumping ever greater quantities of money into it while they figure out how to cover its cost. That cost recovery plan appears to be to mandate yet more budget cuts to maintenance and future attractions (probably at both US parks) and accelerating ticket/parking/hotel/food prices.

Pandora has no creatives involved that have ANY kind of the same power Lasseter had. Even the normally meticulous and picky James Cameron was unable to prevent the loss of the land's true E ticket, and Rohde certainly doesn't hold any power (as stated unless new leadership changes things this is likely to be his final major project at Disney before he's eventually forced into retirement alongside Tony Baxter). And again with next gen crashing and burning, continuing to eat through hundreds of millions as we speak with little to no hope of returning that investment, there are going to be more cuts and price hikes levied towards both US parks (especially WDW though as they need to make Kalogridis into the fall guy). Feel free to be optimistic about this, I wish I could be more hopeful (I actually was myself before the nextgen debacle). But it's not realistic to expect great things about this project given some unfortunate surrounding circumstances in the company.

It is no pessimism to be very wary about Pandora at this point and assume the worst. When at every opportunity prior you've been given no reason to be excited about a new project (and with ever more problems arising that stand to threaten it), people have every reason to be worried. It's not pessimistic, it pragmatic and realistic. Until proven otherwise (which is not going to happen until at least 2017 or later) getting your hopes up for quality WDW attractions in this climate isn't worth it. It's setting yourself up to be let down.

I expect the worst but hope for the best when it comes to Disney World. I am hopeful that one day Disney can once again reclaim some of their former glory that we can once more expect the best and still have our expectations surpassed by whatever they're planning. Definitely not optimistic that will happen (at this point it may even be unlikely to ever occur), but I hope it will.

Last edited:

SirLink

Completely disagree, in fact, it's down there with DHS as the worst looking, worst laid out park in my opinion, but it looks like we'd need a new thread for that discussion as this one is on about 10 other topics right now

I'm now 100% curious to see what you think is the best looking Disney stateside park....

eastvillage

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
What we do have are MagicBands, Fastpass+, a roller coaster that is taking too long to complete, a not-so-great Little Mermaid ride, double Dumbo, and a restaurant. Oh, and pictures of executives breaking ground on Avatar with hopes that it will be completed within the next decade.

I am going to be using magic bands and FP+ for the first time in April. I was an avid FP user so am not a fan of being limited to 3. But we will see if I like it.

I liked the LM attraction but from what I have seen and heard, it could have been a lot better. So, disappointed here.

Double dumbo needed to happen because the queue was always so long. The interactive queue is pretty cool and I think was a good idea.

7DMT was always scheduled to be open in the spring of 2014 as far back as I can remember, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about with it taking too long. It is opening according to their scheduled time frame. I didn't think it would happen any sooner based on what was released.

Be our guest restaurant is awesome. But, yes, it is only a restaurant.

I would of preferred their first focus was on Star Wars rather than Pandora, but unfortunately that is not happening. It would be very nice if we could get some type of Star Wars announcement by the end of the year, instead of Iger just saying that "you will see more Star Wars in the parks".

spacemt354

Chili's

But see, if you want to be optimistic, that's one thing. You're not claiming you have sources who have relayed information to you in order to derive your optimism. But when you post your opinions, especially ones that could drum up controversy, just be ready to back them up with supporting arguments.

People who get "killed" for a bit of optimism are two kinds of members. And they bring it on themselves.

The first kind is a member like DisneyConstruction23, who claim to have faux inside info and then boast about their optimism. These members end up being caught in their lies and misinformation, then proceed to typically..meltdown.

The second kind is someone who will state opinion like it is fact. There's nothing wrong with optimism. But be prepared to back up your opinion. These members don't like it when people question their opinions. When people question them, they refuse to give evidence to support their opinions, which leads to the proverbial "killing" as you refer to it as.

Evidence is the best way to show that your opinion doesn't stem from a fanboy-dust machine, and that you've actually given thought to said opinions. These members never get "killed"

For example, Zack Metternberger (allegedly) sexually assaulted a waitress and he was dismissed within hours even though his momma was with the Athletic Dept for 15 years and he was groomed to be Georgia's QB.

So when you want to put things in context, lets put them in the proper context.

Choose a better analogy.
It was not an analogy, so perhaps learning the definition would be prudent.

I chose the example because it is current and he is likely to be one of the top NFL draft picks this year. Cam Newton is getting a degree in May from Auburn so the same example would apply to him.

Other than not understanding what an analogy is, the rest of your posting is irrelevant to discussing the difference in GSR and FGR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom