The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

PeterAlt

RSoxNo1

Having just watched The Lone Ranger, if the whole film had been as good as the train scene at the end, it would have done fine.

Still, a film that I would watch again, and I would rather watch The Lone Ranger 2 than Pirates of the Caribbean 5...
Great opening scene, great ending scene, mediocre middle. I was a fan of The Lone Ranger, but to say "it would have done fine" if everything was like the finale is an understatement. It would have been a great film.

MarkTwain

The Lone Ranger was an awesome movie but fell under the "love to hate" category due to the high budget

Agreed. I highly enjoyed that movie (especially the last 20 minutes) and I was saddened to find out how much ire it was receiving from both critics and audiences. It was a fun summer blockbuster, I'm surprised it wasn't received as such.

Agreed. Like John Carter, Lone Ranger was a fine movie that the press jumped on for its high budget before even opening, damaging both critical opinion and audience turnout. I usually respect critical opinion religiously, but in my opinion unjustified negative press killed both movies.

Captain Neo

Looks like good ol'Bobby went shopping again. This time buying a youtube channel for 500 million dollars with the possibility of an addition 400 million. Can't help but shake my head in disgust. How about investing that money in the parks that could use new rides, new infrastructure, more monorail routes, and general maintenance and upkeep. If Walt was around to here about this latest acquisition he would be one sad panda.

Anywhoo, Spirit any truth to the rumor that the Astro Orbiter @ Disneyland is being removed soon to start preliminary work on the Star Wars land/redo?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Thanks for the ultra cool post!

Just wondering...

I know Eisner continued that tradition and rode every new Disney attraction to officially open it (or send it back to WDI for additional work if he wasn't satisfied). Does Iger do the same?

Insufficient data - there have been so few new attractions opened since the beginning of the Iger era even counting the non-US parks.

PeterAlt

The company Michael Eisner started in 2005 is called the Tornante Company, LLC (www.tornante.com).

According to Wikipedia, it "is a privately held investment firm founded by former The Walt Disney Company CEO Michael Eisner in 2005. Tornante invests in and creates media and entertainment."

Based in Beverly Hills, California, "Eisner's company signed a worldwide distribution deal with Universal Pictures to release the firm's slate of films."

The company's current assets and subsidiaries include the following: (copied from Wikipedia)
  • Vuguru - online video production company responsible for web series Prom Queen, which made its debut on MySpace and has been the first major hit from Tornante.
  • Team Baby Entertainment - Children's sports DVD and production company.
  • Topps Company - Sports trading card and bubble gum maker.
  • Glenn Martin, DDS - stop-motion animation series which premiered in August 2009 on Nick at Nite.
  • BoJack Horseman - an animated comedy series, it will premiere in mid-2014 on Netflix.
It is Vuguru that I confused today's Disney acquistion news item with. Notice the similarities. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the Tornante Company is targeted by Iger for acquistion of Vuguru.

If Eisner comes with the deal, would could see the second coming of Eisner at Disney (ala Steve Jobs's return to Apple when a Apple purchased his company called NEXT)...

Just more of my theories... Could happen... Maybe not, but today's news indicates that Iger is interested in companies like these, so I wouldn't be surprised if they have talked, are talking, or entertained the idea. Take it or leave it...

Last edited:

NoChesterHester

Hard to say since it's hard to define a typical situation.
On average, from the decision to begin the conceptual phase to green light, I'd say it takes somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple dozen approvals and about three years.

Well... There is part of the way these things are getting so bloated then.

I bet the way their project tracking systems work is that after the project is finally green lit the time spent to date is added into the project budget. Three years of design meetings with high level people will cost millions in billable time.

Funmeister

Soooooooo was this the "big" acquisition that was rumored here the last couple of months? Any other info on the mysterious company buying up a media/content company?

PeterAlt

Soooooooo was this the "big" acquisition that was rumored here the last couple of months? Any other info on the mysterious company buying up a media/content company?
This is not the one I'm expecting. It will be one of the big ones, if not biggest. I'm expecting it to be announced some time in 2015. There will be many smaller ones, like this one, in the time being.

Next Big Thing

When it's prime time and Express is being sold for $70+ a PERSON PER DAY... meaning a $250+ perk per day.. I highly doubt anyone is going to say "but yeah, I am so close to the bowling alley...".
In peak season, yes, you are right. It will be more worth it to stay at one of their Deluxe hotels. In a slower time of year (perhaps right before the start of HHN)? I think CBBR is a steal then. Not only is it vastly cheaper and there are still all the amenities, but you don't even need Express during those times of year.

Anyone who has used it wouldn't say that... Will many UNI-noobs not understand what they are being offered and will pass it by based on ignorance? I'm sure... but will anyone who is informed gloss over it? I don't think so
I'm curious what you think an "informed" person knows/who they are. Do you mean bloggers/lifestylers or just the average tourist who knows a little more than most?

If you mean the latter, I still think it's easy for them to miss that it isn't included. Especially with locals. I know a lot of people who are semi-local (to the Tampa area) and stay on property every once in awhile just for fun. I'm not quite sure if they stayed at CBBR though that they would look to make sure it had express. They EXPECT IT.

Cesar R M

Jurassic World Concept Art has been leaked and it shows a remodeled visitors center, perhaps UNI could out-synergize Disney with the rumored Jurassic World overlay/family coaster/spinner?
http://www.slashfilm.com/jurassic-world-concept-art/
Jurassic-World-Concept-Art-2.jpg

They even have Poly DVC!
Jurassic-World-Concept-Art-1.jpg
If they can pull it in the way it looks. it would be incredible.
but We will probably get the "playskool" dumbed version due of "costs"?

Agreed. Like John Carter, Lone Ranger was a fine movie that the press jumped on for its high budget before even opening, damaging both critical opinion and audience turnout. I usually respect critical opinion religiously, but in my opinion unjustified negative press killed both movies.

I honestly liked John Carter a lot, but hated Lone Ranger (had very few funny parts and felt too rushed).
to each their own I suppose.
Looks like good ol'Bobby went shopping again. This time buying a youtube channel for 500 million dollars with the possibility of an addition 400 million. Can't help but shake my head in disgust. How about investing that money in the parks that could use new rides, new infrastructure, more monorail routes, and general maintenance and upkeep. If Walt was around to here about this latest acquisition he would be one sad panda.

Anywhoo, Spirit any truth to the rumor that the Astro Orbiter @ Disneyland is being removed soon to start preliminary work on the Star Wars land/redo?
The question is.. FOR WHAT?
They already have studios, channels..etc.. why would they need a youtube channel system?
Will they convert the a youtube channel in a 24/7 Guerrilla Marketing video campaing? or an online travel channel?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom