The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Next Big Thing

1)Marvel and Lucas were IP focused acquisitions.
2)Maker Studios is a MCN with personalities which for a company not wanting to be associated with Gambling the personalities associated with Maker Studios its a weird fit.
3)I suspect that Disney will change all contracts that are view based monetization to ad-click monetization ... those some of the largest channels will/most likely leave them.
4)I also suspect they will move all managed channels such as Pewdiepie from being a managed channel to an affiliate so Disney takes potential risk away from themselves. Another good reason to leave that MCN
5)Disney still doesn't understand how the internet works ...
Well, I believe somethings are likely to change, but lets not kid ourselves. Disney even said in a statement, Maker knows how to run this operation a lot better than they do, so that's why I think most things will stay the same operationally. Why off a bunch off people with big online followings?

And Disney obviously understands how the internet works. That's why they are getting out ahead on this. They just may not like it.

Next Big Thing

You were saying people don't stay at those hotels because of express pass as if it was just some free bar of soap only some used anyways.... And more stayed there simply due to location. It's the main perk and people know it...
I wasn't saying because of location, I was saying simply because they are nice hotels (and the location only adds to that). Obviously Express does play a big part as well though.

CDavid

I admittedly understand Maker Studios business about as well as Bob Iger understands theme parks, so maybe somebody can explain just how this acquisition is worth half a billion dollars?

Perhaps I have memories of go.com dancing in my head, but that's an awful big chunk of change. I just don't get it.

SirLink

Well, I believe somethings are likely to change, but lets not kid ourselves. Disney even said in a statement, Maker knows how to run this operation a lot better than they do, so that's why I think most things will stay the same operationally. Why off a bunch off people with big online followings?

And Disney obviously understands how the internet works. That's why they are getting out ahead on this. They just may not like it.

You know this is Disney who paid over the odds for go.com as well. Perhaps "works" was a bad word to use "get" would of been the more appropriate word usage. But saying that DCL reservation systems break under pressure all the time, Movie Rewards site has been broke for at least 3 months no fix yet....you really think this same company who enjoys talking to their audience instead of conversing with their audience will actually get it right. Ha!

Soarin' Over Pgh

I admittedly understand Maker Studios business about as well as Bob Iger understands theme parks, so maybe somebody can explain just how this acquisition is worth half a billion dollars?

Perhaps I have memories of go.com dancing in my head, but that's an awful big chunk of change. I just don't get it.

Yep, this. I'm just not getting it. I guess I'm simply not intelligent enough to understand why dumping 500 million on something online (which Disney does NOT do well at all. Hi, go.com! Hi, mydisneyexperience! UGH) versus dumping 500 million on putting Star Wars -which they already own- into the parks to give them a huge boost and a nice chunk of revenue?

I hope the next Mickey ears hat they design is a dunce cap with ears.

Cesar R M

Google benefits, sure. But there are so many more ways to capitalize that most don't even think of as possibilities for a site like YouTube. This is a good move for Disney, no doubt.
for 500 and more millions? I honestly dont think so.
since Disney already as the media and the means to make such type of online movements...

for me, this move was to actually move money from a established company (disney) to a company that might be crashing and was "friends" or "direct" relationship with Iger.

sounds almost like when Cheney was using "HIS" company (halliburton) to build up on Iraq after he got the help from them to get elected.

Yep, this. I'm just not getting it. I guess I'm simply not intelligent enough to understand why dumping 500 million on something online (which Disney does NOT do well at all. Hi, go.com! Hi, mydisneyexperience! UGH) versus dumping 500 million on putting Star Wars -which they already own- into the parks to give them a huge boost and a nice chunk of revenue?

I hope the next Mickey ears hat they design is a dunce cap with ears.

agree!

ParkMan73

A lot of companies get bought because of the abilities of the people that work there, not the capabilities of the technology the company owns.

This could very well be the case here. Maker's been successful at this - so you buy them and have them come to Disney and do the same.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Tuesday Afternoon Musings:

Was that a couple of MAGIC bands in the mailbox or was the mailman just happy to see me? Yeah, probably a little of both. Now, gotta go wrap them in tinfoil and hide them in the garage.

So, those bands are so convenient. You can leave your wallet in a safe. All your cards ... oops, what? You want an AP discount??? Well, then you better have that gray discount card in your pocket that you'll have to fumble and bumble and stumble around for. Again, this thing was so well thought out.

So, Bob Iger spent $500 million (about 30-40% of the cost of a nice theme park) on a tech company that has no real synergies with Disney. Look for Disney to lay people off, remove content and replace it with Disney-BRANDED content soon if history is any guide.

Talking about leaders, Michael Eisner is having fun at WDW with the kids and grandkids and having fun by showing exactly how you'd never see Iger (or Rasulo or Staggs or Crofton or Kalogridis) behaving. I've told you as someone who has had the pleasure of knowing the man that he is real. I think his Tweets show it. ... There is no ulterior motive here, btw. He is enjoying what he created with his family and thumbing his nose at Iger and Co at the same time. ... So to Eisner-hating fanbois I just say LET IT GO!!!

George Kalogridis is gay? Who knew? OK, we all knew ... well, I didn't when I first met him, but I can be a bit slow that way. But he finally attends an O-Town LGBT event late last week and the only reporter invited is a columnist from the O-Town Business Journal. Georgie, never a good public speaker, made a couple of comments that likely made Disney PR tongues fall out of mouths and he rewrote a little history, but so what? I do find the timing a little odd ... but I also think George thinking he'll replace Tom Staggs at age 62 very odd.

Speaking of Greeks that don't get much attention ... so Kouzzina is closing. I wish I could say I am shocked. I'll only be shocked if something better and at the same (or lower) price points opens there. I have never had dinner there, but since Boatwrights stopped serving breakfast in a cost saving move, Kouzzina absolutely serves the best breakfast at a Disney resort. Great coffee and sublime Bloody Marys too. ... Sure, Spoodles was better ... it was even better when it first opened and had a massive menu and was open for lunch that was great and cheaper than say running to the Red Lobster on 535.

Oh well, so last night I went to a place on SoBe that has a $1,000 ice cream sundae on the menu (complete with edible gold flakes). Answers the question what would I not buy if I ever go from Faux Top One Percenter to Real Top One Percenter.

I may be eating grapes right now, but I am fantasizing about some of those TDR treats ... damn you @WDWFigment!

Speaking of TDR, is @Buried20KLeague back from Japan? I want to hear all about the trip (mostly the food!)

Fanbois really need to get off the ''Oswald is a great character and Disney needs to use him more'' kick. And one fanboi friend really needs to get off the "Bob wants to boy Warner Brothers kick'' before I put him over my knee!

Saw the RCCL's Majesty of the Seas leaving Miami yesterday. Boy, does that look like an old tug compared to today's modern ships.

Let's all take a moment to celebrate the fact @Lee hasn't even moved into his hillbilly mini-man... I mean cabin ... and he already isn't getting along with the neighbors. Way to go buddy. Same thing would happen to me!

Traffic problems at TAFKaDD? (The Area Formerly Known as Downtown Disney) Seriously, who could have ever seen that one coming?

I am not conservative about many things (imagine wanting living wages, honest politicians an the rich to pay a bit more instead of less!?!) BUT ... I am sorry, I don't get why everyone under the age of 65 (fanbois excepted) feel the need to cover their bods in tatts. They don't look good. On anyone. And they only look worse with age.

Finally, I tried Shake Shack. Burgers are good,like much better than the overrated (but also good) In N Out, but way overpriced.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 You'd think someone at Disney would of clued in most of the successful Maker Studios Youtube personalities have a popular, but very dark sense of humour - unless Disney wants it because they think they can control the vlogger message further.

I have no idea why Disney ... well, Iger ... wanted this company.

But taking over companies that often aren't compatible with Disney and its image or policies leads to difficult situations.

Just look at Marvel and its thriving little gambling business. Or the fact ABC Family has to air a religious nutjob's TV show as long as he wants them to.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

We all have images of go.com dancing in our heads, also Disney Interactive, The POPULAR Internet properties were shut down by Disney, Remember 'Virtual Worlds' etc

WDW1974

Original Poster
I know I mentioned Michael Eisner taking the grandkids to the Cape May Cafe this morning.

A few things to ponder on that subject:

Do you think Iger even knows what the Cape May Cafe is (well, other than he has folks watching Michael 24/7)?
Do you think Iger (or Rasulo or Crofton etc) has ever dined at a character meal?
Do you think Michael said something like 'I remember when breakfast here was $8.99 before my CM discount!''?

Nemo14

I know I mentioned Michael Eisner taking the grandkids to the Cape May Cafe this morning.

A few things to ponder on that subject:

Do you think Iger even knows what the Cape May Cafe is (well, other than he has folks watching Michael 24/7)?
Do you think Iger (or Rasulo or Crofton etc) has ever dined at a character meal?
Do you think Michael said something like 'I remember when breakfast here was $8.99 before my CM discount!''?

no
no
and yes!

Phil12

Are you guys sure on that '82/'83 date? Makes sense if they were sponsoring Horizons. I just feel like I read '85. Who knows. You may be right, I can't find a definitive answer on the 'net and it's splitting hairs. But love that photo!!! Good stuff!!
You're right: "General Electric ceased sponsorship of the attraction on March 10, 1985, although the company continued to present Horizons at Epcot." http://waltdatedworld.bravepages.com/id215.htm

WDW1974

Original Poster
Oh, neglected to mention that in another 'business as usual' move, Iger picked ABC News head Ben Sherwood to replace Anne Sweeney.

THIS is how Disney does business. They are like a church, you only promote from within.

No, I am not going to compare the way many Lifestylers treat Disney as a religion. That will be in the book that I write and Disney sees to it that it never gets published!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom