The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Cesar R M

If they can pull it in the way it looks. it would be incredible.
but We will probably get the "playskool" dumbed version due of "costs"?

I honestly liked John Carter a lot, but hated Lone Ranger (had very few funny parts and felt too rushed).
to each their own I suppose.

The question is.. FOR WHAT?
They already have studios, channels..etc.. why would they need a youtube channel system?
Will they convert the a youtube channel in a 24/7 Guerrilla Marketing video campaing? or an online travel channel?

also, reading the news source..
why they claim this company is "behind the success" of pewdewpie?
He started by himself, he got popular, THEN HE GOT SPONSORED.
Annoying when someone eats the "credit" over when something goes popular.
Its like claiming Youtube and Google were responsible of the popularity of gangnamstyle.

I'm telling everyone you said that. Now those four pages are gonna be about you!

<3
bring it on! im ready to bring the thunder!

Last edited:

rodserling27

Creepy lifestylers stalking Michael Eisner are creepy
Agreed.
I've decided to go to the 24hour party at Magic Kingdom May 24th...
For real? I was considering it. It would be a neat thing to do. But there will be so many dang people there. I prefer MK when there aren't tons of people there, like really early in the morning or late at night, but the 24 hour thing is guaranteed to be packed.
I want to say 1982-ish off the top of my head. Certainly early 80s.
As I remember it, General Electric stopped its sponsorship of Carousel of Progress in 1983 just after Horizons, Presented by General Electric opened at EPCOT Center. Maybe there was a period of time in late '83 or early '84 when both locations had the GE logo on it, but that didn't last long.

The Carousel of Progress was a GE ride in 1964-65 at the World's Fair. Then from 1967 to 1973 at Disneyland. Then from 1974 to 1983 at WDW.

The whole thing was basically a giant commercial to sell toaster ovens and dishwashers and pump up the American consumer economy of the late 20th century, but it was done so charmingly by Walt Disney's staff that no one really remembers it that way.

Act IV at Disneyland, 1967 - Look at all that GE loot!
COP12.jpg
Are you guys sure on that '82/'83 date? Makes sense if they were sponsoring Horizons. I just feel like I read '85. Who knows. You may be right, I can't find a definitive answer on the 'net and it's splitting hairs. But love that photo!!! Good stuff!!

Next Big Thing

Really Disney...500 million on a dumb YouTube channel! Talk about wasting money!?! Anyone else ed that that 500 mil could have been our Star Wars Land budget or an upgraded Epcot future world budget! I'm all for acquisitions, but this is just absurd!
Here's my post from the main thread on the topic:

Disney is nothing more than the owner in this deal.

All operations at Maker Studios will continue as they have been under current management. It's basically the same as how the deals for Marvel and Star Wars were. I'm sure there will be some cross promotion here and there, maybe some of the talent from maker doing some commercials, tv, etc to promote something to a certain target demographic, but other than that, things continue as normal.

And they don't get a huge slice, but that's not where they make all of their money. They make their money in advertising from outside companies on videos. PewDiePie could have a video that has 2 million views or so. He'll make a decent amount of money just from that one video alone (Maker takes a % of course), but of course he does videos of himself playing video games.

He just did a video of himself playing Dark Souls II the other day (a game just released), the video got 2.65M views. Among content creators, PewDiePie has the most subscribers on YouTube at 25.2 Million. That's where the real money comes in. The high subscriber rate means he can demand a pretty good amount of money to companies for him to use their games in his videos.

Again, Maker gets a % of all of this money. PewDiePie is just one person too. There are plenty of other big creators under the Maker umbrella with pretty big followings from Epic Rap Battles of History, Mike Thompkins, Snoop Lion, KassemG, LisaNova, all the way to CEO Shay Carl's ShayTards and WhenTheKidsGoToSleep. There's so much diversity among the group and in the end I think you'll see this type of relationship between Hollywood and YT is where things are going. DreamWorks recently bought AwesomenessTV and Warner Bros also recently invested $18M into the video gamer You Tube channel Machinima.

It isn't dumb at all. Disney is getting out in front on this. There's LOTS of money to be had in the YouTube world.

PeterAlt

Agreed.

For real? I was considering it. It would be a neat thing to do. But there will be so many dang people there. I prefer MK when there aren't tons of people there, like really early in the morning or late at night, but the 24 hour thing is guaranteed to be packed.

Are you guys sure on that '82/'83 date? Makes sense if they were sponsoring Horizons. I just feel like I read '85. Who knows. You may be right, I can't find a definitive answer on the 'net and it's splitting hairs. But love that photo!!! Good stuff!!
Cool! There's just a few things there that I haven't seen yet. I'll spend the day at the other 3 parks to get caught up with what's new there and spend the rest of the night at the MK... I haven't been to a good party in a while, so I'm accomplishing a lot in a single trip!

EDIT - I've been considering going to Raver Day at DL... This may be more affordable... Maybe not as good... Maybe better because I don't think Raver Day is 24 hours!

SirLink

Well, Maker Studios reports directly to Rasulo. Here's hoping it's a turkey!

Wait... hasn't NextGen burned through 2 billion plus... nevermind...

Don't worry when they try and renegotiate those Youtube contracts so they make more money. The bigger Youtubers they have will leave Maker Studios for other MCN's and boom - Disney has a white elephant.

Next Big Thing

Don't worry when they try and renegotiate those Youtube contracts so they make more money. The bigger Youtubers they have will leave Maker Studios for other MCN's and boom - Disney has a white elephant.
Why would the bigger YouTubers leave Maker now? This is basically what they've worked for. They get to still do what they've been doing with the added benefit of Disney potentially using them for promos, commercials, etc. The bigger YouTubers will have a lot more chances to actually get their face out there and make more money.

I get doubting Disney when it comes to WDW, but they haven't screwed up Marvel or Lucas yet. They've let both run just as they were before with maybe a bit more cross-promotion here and there. I doubt this will be any different.

SirLink

Why would the bigger YouTubers leave Maker now? This is basically what they've worked for. They get to still do what they've been doing with the added benefit of Disney potentially using them for promos, commercials, etc. The bigger YouTubers will have a lot more chances to actually get their face out there and make more money.

I get doubting Disney when it comes to WDW, but they haven't screwed up Marvel or Lucas yet. They've let both run just as they were before with maybe a bit more cross-promotion here and there. I doubt this will be any different.

1)Marvel and Lucas were IP focused acquisitions.
2)Maker Studios is a MCN with personalities which for a company not wanting to be associated with Gambling the personalities associated with Maker Studios its a weird fit.
3)I suspect that Disney will change all contracts that are view based monetization to ad-click monetization ... those some of the largest channels will/most likely leave them.
4)I also suspect they will move all managed channels such as Pewdiepie from being a managed channel to an affiliate so Disney takes potential risk away from themselves. Another good reason to leave that MCN
5)Disney still doesn't understand how the internet works ...

culturenthrills

I'm gonna complain about DTD parking for a minute...

Whatever senior level executive has allowed parking to devolve into the utter clusterF that it is has no business being an executive at any company, let alone having the responsibility of walking a dog.

Clearly, nobody thought this through by any stretch of the imagination. The amount of disrespect shown the guests and the cast is immeasurable.....

Carry on.

It is ridiculous. After trying to go to a movie down there once after this crap started, never again for now. I would have loved to go to Raglan Road's St Paddys Day stuff but it just wasn't worth the hassle. It may cost more but they should be working 24 hours a day to finish that parking garage.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In peak season, yes, you are right. It will be more worth it to stay at one of their Deluxe hotels. In a slower time of year (perhaps right before the start of HHN)? I think CBBR is a steal then. Not only is it vastly cheaper and there are still all the amenities, but you don't even need Express during those times of year.

Even in slow times the pass is very expensive and the days of uni being a walk on park are dwindling.

I'm curious what you think an "informed" person knows/who they are. Do you mean bloggers/lifestylers or just the average tourist who knows a little more than most?

Anyone with two eyeballs. You can't go 100ft in the park and not see pitches for express pass being sold. There are sandwich boards promoting it freaking everywhere.

QUOTE="Next Big Thing, post: 6005590, member: 63848"]Especially with locals. I know a lot of people who are semi-local (to the Tampa area) and stay on property every once in awhile just for fun. I'm not quite sure if they stayed at CBBR though that they would look to make sure it had express. They EXPECT IT.[/QUOTE]

You were saying people don't stay at those hotels because of express pass as if it was just some free bar of soap only some used anyways.... And more stayed there simply due to location. It's the main perk and people know it...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
2)Maker Studios is a MCN with personalities which for a company not wanting to be associated with Gambling the personalities associated with Maker Studios its a weird fit.
3)I suspect that Disney will change all contracts that are view based monetization to ad-click monetization ... those some of the largest channels will/most likely leave them.
4)I also suspect they will move all managed channels such as Pewdiepie from being a managed channel to an affiliate so Disney takes potential risk away from themselves. Another good reason to leave that MCN

All the reasons Maker Studios WAS making money will be cancelled by Disney so they can make it a Disney media property - which on the internet is the kiss of death. Disney in a year will have a name and a 500 mil writedown

Soarin' Over Pgh

I dunno guys. I'm pretty butthurt over Disney buying Maker Studios/Youtube versus building new attractions/upgrading parks/maintaining parks/investing in properties they've already bought/paying their employees a living wage.

Does it seem like Iger is like a little kid- give him a new toy and his eyes light up, but seconds later he has grown tired of that toy and he's eying up the next one?

the.dreamfinder

I dunno guys. I'm pretty butthurt over Disney buying Maker Studios/Youtube versus building new attractions/upgrading parks/maintaining parks/investing in properties they've already bought/paying their employees a living wage.

Does it seem like Iger is like a little kid- give him a new toy and his eyes light up, but seconds later he has grown tired of that toy and he's eying up the next one?
I personally think he wants to acquire Netflix, but the BoD won't let him because it would cost too much. I bet he would love to make an acquisition that has a larger price tag than ABC/Capital Cities.

SirLink

I personally think he wants to acquire Netflix, but the BoD won't let him because it would cost too much. I bet he would love to make an acquisition that has a larger price tag than ABC/Capital Cities.

Thy could of acquired Hulu platform put all their content on that and create an international destination for all Disney TV/Movie content ... but they blew that one.

jlsHouston

I think you hit the nail on the head with point number 5......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom