The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I was kind of beaten to it, but DLs HM schedule had little with "getting it right".

I know the reasons for some of the delays 1964 Worlds Fair, From various books i've read Imagineering was challenged to do some of the effects in a maintainable fashion, Please share 'The Rest of the story...' I'd love to know more

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I know the reasons for some of the delays 1964 Worlds Fair, From various books i've read Imagineering was challenged to do some of the effects in a maintainable fashion, Please share 'The Rest of the story...' I'd love to know more
Much like pirates. No clear idea of a story or ride system. Then 1963-6 tied WED up at the fair. Then Walt died.

The Omnimover was fine tuned as was the story to match. Things began to move ahead. In a nutshell.

Most of WDWs props and scenery was built as a duplicate and at the same time as DLs. That's how long it took for the DL ride to be finally designed. If I recall it was all made in 68-9 and the WDW parts were put in storage for a year or so until the Orlando show building was completed in late 1970.

jlsHouston

I was kind of beaten to it, but DLs HM schedule had little with "getting it right".

You might be right but I was sure I read somewhere in a discussion on this forum that Walt had several issues with HM theme and kept sending it back to the imagineers, while he was caught up producing COP and IASW for the World's Fair.
Tell me all the histories you know about attractions still open in at least one of the theme parks today. Jim went turkey hunting for 3 days and I have time.

Bolna

One man who started a movement which was inadequately examined by the PRESS who was then LEGALLY elected using the democratic process and once there declared himself leader for life.

What's frequently not discussed is how the PRESS in 1930's Germany was the lapdog of the government, Not it's adversary. If the PRESS had done it's job instead of being a cheerleader 1930's germany would never have happened.

Two facts: Hitler was never elected in a free election by the majority of the German people. According to the German constitution at that time the German President (Mr Hindenburg at that time) had incredible powers to circumvent parliament and he declared Hitler chancellor in a coalition government with other conservative parties. By that time most of the governing was already done by decree anyway for some time. However, Hitler used massive tactics like burning down the Reichstag (the house of the German parliament) and producing a scape goat for that, throwing all communist members of the German parliament in prison or concentration camps and scaring everyone else in parliament into voting for the law that finally gave him absolute power - with only the Social Democrats voting against it even though they had to fear that the same thing would happen to them as had happened to the communists.

Also, there certainly was critical press around. Some of them are actually very well know names, like Kurt Tucholsky or Alfred Kerr. The later one actually had to flee with his family on the day that Hitler got to power as he was on the list of those to be imprisoned as soon as possible - one can read the whole story from the perspective of his daughter Judith Kerr in the novel When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit.

And finally: There certainly was no single cause for Germany becoming a Nazi dictatorship. And blaming the press on it, is just very odd. The Versailles treaty and the World Economic Crisis of the late 20s and early 30s certainly were far more important factors.

I really feel that this whole topic has no place in this thread, but if it comes up I would really prefer the facts to be straight!

Mickey_777

Been a NoVAnite my entire life. I think you are selling short how great and statistically safe this area is. Having said that, the trouble that the metro will undoubtedly bring to Tysons worries me.

Don't get me wrong, Northern VA is great. I'd only trade it for Florida. But DC is a problem. It'll take something special to get me to visit the city. Traffic around here is a problem. Plus I've got 30+ east coast winters under my belt. I just can't stay here forever.

JimboJones123

FYI, Issue still not resolved. As far as I can tell, th. The username I created back in 2002 on ESPN.com for my insider account is continuing to cause problem. That username is linked to my e-mail address across the board. This means that the ESPN username/email address is taking precedence on some sites while just my e-mail address is taking precedence on others. I was unable to find a support line the addresses account issues across the board, only issues at each entity. This means that even though the same account name/email combination can be used on ESPN, DisneyWorld, DisneyMoviesAnywhere, DisneyStore, etc however they don't consistently talk to one another.

This is my own doing, but it's something that no one has been able to fix. I was setting up my Disney Movies Anywhere account and at some point yesterday had the option to deactivate one of the two accounts. I opted to deactivate the one that had the additional username attached to it. Unfortunately that was set up as the default and it's how I had my DisneyWorld and ESPN accounts set up. Thankfully, my insider account expires on March 30th and I don't have a Disney World pass right now. The lady I spoke with regarding My Disney Experience is "submitting something to their web site support" to have all information moved under just my e-mail address. If that doesn't work, I will set everything up myself again in hopes of correcting the problem. The risk here is that I may lose movies I setup on the Disney Movies Anywhere App. Right now, other than time, that's the only thing that actually has a quantifiable value linked to any of my accounts.

I have no confidence in their ability to fix it and that's based solely on previous experiences with this nonsense. If they are able to fix it, I will be sure to come back on here and apologize.
I ran into the same type of issue truing to figure out how to get the digital copy set up for Frozen on the iPods for the kids.

It ended up that I had 4 different Disney/Go usernames from my email???

Next Gen strikes again.

Bolna

I ran into the same type of issue truing to figure out how to get the digital copy set up for Frozen on the iPods for the kids.

It ended up that I had 4 different Disney/Go usernames from my email???

Next Gen strikes again.

My favourite gripe with Disney websites is that they always rest my profile so that I am located in Georgia (the country that was once part of the Soviet Union, not the state of the USA) instead of Germany. So far, whenever they mailed something to me, it did arrive, but I am in constant fear that one day they will start sending me stuff to Georgia!!

RSoxNo1

Yeah, the website is bad. Even when it is working, it is so slow that it is hard to retain the continuity to complete what you are doing. I don't call anymore because it doesn't seem to do any good and wastes a lot of my time.

I agree that dining reservations are the worst. One night it kept freezing and bouncing me out. After two hours I gave up.

Several times I have turned it off and come back later to find that things seemed fixed. It seems to need an incredible amount of time to update changes.
I will say that Universal's website is just as bad. I was navigating that today as well.

RSoxNo1

When Disney announced Disney's Magical Express (DME) at the end of 2004, I thought it was one of the most brilliant financial moves at WDW in years. It, along with the (at the time) new Magic Your Way (MYW) a la carte ticket pricing helped WDW recover from the post-9/11 economy. WDW hotel occupancies immediately improved.

I hope whoever came up with the idea got a big fat bonus for it.
I'm writing an article right now that points to all of the smart changes that took place in 2005, this is a huge one.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think WDI is the heart of the theme parks because is was Walt's. So I think inefficiency might be part of the dna so to speak of this business unit. Now whether it has gone all corrupt and deviated from being Walt's legacy and is producing product severely over budgets and not up to standards of yesteryear.....that is the question.

Walt could be very frugal... the key difference was he was never willing to compromise on what he thought was important. So if you were coming along and saying "it costs too much" or "that part doesn't matter" - he would never buy into those arguments if it impacted what he thought was important. If he didn't think it was important.. he was cheap. He wasn't lavish to just be extravagant... he just was willing to throw any and every resource he had at something to make his vision real and convincing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom