The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

jlsHouston

So WDI could be possibly part of the reasons behind so many delays getting attraction and ride projects from artwork to completion and opening. Love the Paralysis by Analysis label.

Well I am not going to totally side with Imagineering for putting 500 dollar saddles on 50 dollar horses. Gosh that is probably a bad analogy. I still think the culture and mindset of WDI goes all the way back to Walt. Wasn't he the head of Imagineering once? Or maybe it was even it's own company way back in the day?

GiveMeTheMusic

So WDI could be possibly part of the reasons behind so many delays getting attraction and ride projects from artwork to completion and opening. Love the Paralysis by Analysis label.

Well I am not going to totally side with Imagineering for putting 500 dollar saddles on 50 dollar horses. Gosh that is probably a bad analogy. I still think the culture and mindset of WDI goes all the way back to Walt. Wasn't he the head of Imagineering once? Or maybe it was even it's own company way back in the day?

WDI is a toxic cesspool that has several people who know what they are doing and how it should be done, but they are not allowed to do what they need to do. There's plenty of blame to go around, and WDI should get its fair share - the leadership is not in tune with the culture and mindset of Walt AT ALL. Not at all.

GiveMeTheMusic

In all due respect, Walt is dead, and if he were alive don't you think he would have had adjusted his mindset along with technical and social progress? Or would he have stagnated and had the same philosophy and mindset that he did in December of 1966?

Of course he would have - but the present day WDI doesn't reflect the basic and timeless Disney ideals in the slightest, and that's evident in the majority of the work they do. They're still able to do great work, but it's become more and more rare as the truly creative types are drowned out or pushed out altogether.

If Walt were still alive he would have abandoned his supervision of theme parks by now, I would imagine. I think would have moved on to something bigger and more interesting to him, like Epcot.

aladdin2007

WDI is a toxic cesspool that has several people who know what they are doing and how it should be done, but they are not allowed to do what they need to do. There's plenty of blame to go around, and WDI should get its fair share - the leadership is not in tune with the culture and mindset of Walt AT ALL. Not at all.

Agree, they also have some egos (that Im thinking are a pain and root of the issue sometimes) that really need to go. A lot of you probably know the names I dont need to include them.

jlsHouston

In all due respect, Walt is dead, and if he were alive don't you think he would have had adjusted his mindset along with technical and social progress? Or would he have stagnated and had the same philosophy and mindset that he did in December of 1966?

No I believe he would have adjusted and I believe he would embrace new technology and ideas too but I do think sometimes he shelved or caused delays because he was distracted or the ideas weren't resonating with him, for instance the HM attraction.

jlsHouston

And I am sorry to hear this. But maybe I am not surprised.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Somehow I don't think the attention to quality and show and show before efficiency would have changed all that much...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
No I believe he would have adjusted and I believe he would embrace new technology and ideas too but I do think sometimes he shelved or caused delays because he was distracted or the ideas weren't resonating with him, for instance the HM attraction.

I believe the original HM took 10 years from groundbreaking to opening at DL, But Walt and Imagineering wanted to get it RIGHT, Not just another 'Haunted House' attraction - I think they definitely got that one right.

John

Somehow I don't think the attention to quality and show and show before efficiency would have changed all that much...

I agree, although he would have loved the technological capabilities we have today and would use them to there fullest. I believe that a man like Walt and many other men of that era cared about their own values. Walt had personal beliefs in a way his company should be ran. Its these values that made Disney what it is today. It isn't his legacy that has pee pee'ed all over what it was. Its his legacy that made many of men and woman very wealthy. They simply sold his legacy.....for a price. They have parlayed his legacy in to nostalgia...then the nostalgia in to money. TWDC no longer is in the business to create nostalgia.....its in the business to sell nostalgia.

crispy

TWDC no longer is in the business to create nostalgia.....its in the business to sell nostalgia.

I think that pretty much sums up of everything right there. Sadly, people are eventually going to stop buying it. They are coasting on good feelings and childhood memories and charging a premium for it. When people get priced out of WDW, which seems to be happening sooner rather than later, people will create attachments to other places and properties. As someone else said, they seem to be short-term geniuses and long-term fools.

ParentsOf4

I believe the original HM took 10 years from groundbreaking to opening at DL, But Walt and Imagineering wanted to get it RIGHT, Not just another 'Haunted House' attraction - I think they definitely got that one right.
I agree, although he would have loved the technological capabilities we have today and would use them to there fullest. I believe that a man like Walt and many other men of that era cared about their own values. Walt had personal beliefs in a way his company should be ran. Its these values that made Disney what it is today. It isn't his legacy that has pee pee'ed all over what it was. Its his legacy that made many of men and woman very wealthy. They simply sold his legacy.....for a price. They have parlayed his legacy in to nostalgia...then the nostalgia in to money. TWDC no longer is in the business to create nostalgia.....its in the business to sell nostalgia.
I always feel uncomfortable when someone speaks for someone else who has been dead for 50 years but ...

Walt Disney seemed to enjoy technology. I suspect he might have embraced technological advances.

Socially, each person reacts to change differently and, had he magically lived to be 110 years old, I don't think it's possible to say one way or another how Walt's views would have evolved over the last 50 years.

It's unrealistic to take someone's mindset from years ago and instantly transport it to another time. We do not live in isolation; we are products of our times. In order to know what each of us would be like today, it's necessary for us to have experienced the events that led up to today, and each of us reacts in different and sometimes surprising ways.

Walt is no different and we have no way of knowing how events of the last 50 years might have shaped Walt's thinking.

I will leave you with a few Walt Disney quotes to consider:

"Get a good idea and stay with it. Dog it and work at it until it's done, and done right."

"I function better when things are going badly than when they're as smooth as whipped cream."

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

"I could never convince the financiers that Disneyland was feasible, because dreams offer too little collateral."

jlsHouston

This is where I find this debate about WDI, very very interesting and I have to confess I'm not well read about WDI history.

I think WDI is the heart of the theme parks because is was Walt's. So I think inefficiency might be part of the dna so to speak of this business unit. Now whether it has gone all corrupt and deviated from being Walt's legacy and is producing product severely over budgets and not up to standards of yesteryear.....that is the question.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This is where I find this debate about WDI, very very interesting and I have to confess I'm not well read about WDI history.

I think WDI is the heart of the theme parks because is was Walt's. So I think inefficiency might be part of the dna so to speak of this business unit. Now whether it has gone all corrupt and deviated from being Walt's legacy and is producing product severely over budgets and not up to standards of yesteryear.....that is the question.

To be fair that delay included Walt working on attractions for the Worlds Fair where all WDI activity was directed toward building attractions for the Worlds Fair - It's also where 'Small World' came from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It's_a_Small_World

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom