The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm sure they will be heartbroken that they can't keep track of your bathroom habits. Your going to mess up their ledger because there will be a huge empty space next to your name. ;) Or they might be able to marvel at your ability to hold everything in. It might even make the CM newsletter.

You truly have a gift for missing the point. I don't want to be nasty, so that's all I'll say.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep. This times 10000. Disney doesn't want to ever broach the subject that something awful could possibly happen to a child on its property.

Then with their 50,000 RPM spin machine you announce a 'Where's My Party' map on MDE make the dots the same color as the MB's - DONE parents can find johnny when he wanders off to watch the Pirate show and spin machine touts it as new 'FEATURE'.

WDW1974

Original Poster
That is shame because DH, kids and I were thinking about moving down there from Indiana one year soon to be closer to the magic. Yet everything we read or learn about the area is negative, saying no jobs, high cost of living, and so on. it gets rather depressing but is still a dream of ours some day.

Moving anywhere to be closer to a theme park resort isn't a smart decision unless you're going to work for the resort at a high level. Even if you are just wealthy and like The Mouse, I can think of far better places to live and far better ways to spend one's money.

Not trying to crush a dream, just be realistic about what really awaits ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Attitudes are not much different from 1930's Germany I find that scary in the extreme, I've brought up this subject before and was called a 'conspiracy theorist' etc

Sometimes, I think your opinions are a bit out there ... but I certainly see scary similarities. Hell, I even see it on Twitter when some friends will try and discuss current events and politics and when they are critical of the US government you hear crickets chirping.

If Disney is using facial recognition tech, let's say under the train station for instance since I know nothing about this (right? :) ), on every guest that enters, then I think people have a right to know ... and stockholders have a right to question whether that is responsible conduct and spending.

yeti

Agree with most of your opinions except the MU short. I liked it. Sure it was about a college party ... those tend to happen in the real world and I in no way thought it was glorifying that part of college life (but I am not the parent of an eight-year-old either).

Oh of course. I'm not gonna be a hypocrite and say I haven't been there, either.

But I grew up on Disney movies, and the mix seems...off. Like something I'd prefer they commented on rather than banking on.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Sometimes, I think your opinions are a bit out there ... but I certainly see scary similarities. Hell, I even see it on Twitter when some friends will try and discuss current events and politics and when they are critical of the US government you hear crickets chirping.

If Disney is using facial recognition tech, let's say under the train station for instance since I know nothing about this (right? :) ), on every guest that enters, then I think people have a right to know ... and stockholders have a right to question whether that is responsible conduct and spending.

I've been told that before :), I do quite a bit of work with local/state/federal emergency management on the communications infrastructure side So I'm forced to think about things most people (including myself) would rather not think about. A side effect of that you need to think about what can happen as opposed to what is likely to happen.

As a result I tend to look at the world and technologies with what can be done as opposed to what I think WILL be done. The CAN is objective reality, 'what is X likely to do' is merely educated guesswork and unless it falls in my areas of expertise I tend to leave that to others who are better qualified to make a situational judgement.

When I write I tend to use the CAN scenario as it is objective and factual, The likelihood of any given scenario be it Disney or real world related is much more grounded in reading the personalities involved and that takes people intimately familiar with them and their quirks.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Where can they possibly build now though? Arent we DVCed out? Ft. Wilderness? Second Bay Lake Tower?

Seriously, where? All the Deluxes have them, IIRC. You think Disney would understand the market is dangerously close to over saturation.

They already masterplanned a resort where River Country sits and rots (maybe Dr. Blondie or Bland Tommy or Crazy Gary can do a blog post about RC 'Then and Now' ...) that was shelved due to cost.

BUT ... building one in the EPCOT parking lot would be far less costly ... yes, I am serious ... yes, they have a plan.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not going to place it here, but there was a fascinating little discussion on the twitter this week between a dead guy that used to run Disney ... E.Cardon Walker ... and a live guy that takes nice pics for Micechat, Andy Castro regarding all the cuts that happen at WDW ... worth a look for you Tweeters or just lookers.

StageFrenzy

I'm not going to place it here, but there was a fascinating little discussion on the twitter this week between a dead guy that used to run Disney ... E.Cardon Walker ... and a live guy that takes nice pics for Micechat, Andy Castro regarding all the cuts that happen at WDW ... worth a look for you Tweeters or just lookers.

Dead guy won?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Some friends of ours were trying to book at the new Cabana Bay hotel over at Universal and they found it completely sold out for at least June and July. That seemed surprising to me, but I guess it's going to be crazy busy this summer. I thought with the lack of express it may be less popular, but it may wind up being a runaway hit.

Uni's values- standard starts at $93 standard, Suites start at $134; moderate 165-186 depending on which; Deluxe, where I stay at start at $204. AoA rack rates start at $164 standard for the values and $391 for a value suite.
I understand why tourists are going to Uni for values, because they are just that a Value. Disney's Moderate resorts are slightly more than Uni's deluxe resort.

And a secondary thought...The Harry 2.0 is just more of a draw than The Dwarf Mine Coaster. While I am sure the Dwarf will be popular with long queues but my gut is families are not planning a pilgrame to Disney 'cause they have to ride Dwarf where I know people who are going to Uni to see everything new and old of Harry Potter. So why not just stay onsight at Uni, possibly day visit to Disney since the Uni resorts offer a better value and their major transportation doesn't shut down for 8 hours in the middle of the day?

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I find it just as fascinating that no one really wants to talk about it ... I'm leaving my opinions out, largely, and still ... nothing.

I guess folks are afraid to type anything into their computers with letters like NSA, CIA or FBI in them. It isn't entirely different from the attitudes of people back in Germany in the 1930s and 40s.

Oh Jeez I typed Interpol this week. *slaps wrists* :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom