The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

danv3

And now that there are rumors of the AC coming back in some form those critics are nowhere to be found. Because they know very well that negativity could get the rumored project scaled back or even canceled. I am going on the assumption the rumors may be true. Apparently AC fans think they are true too.

Your theory requires us to assume that (1) Disney thinks bringing back the AC club in some form is a good idea (i.e., would be profitable for the company), and (2) despite that expected profitability, if too many fans on some website are "negative" about it (or any other idea), the company will kill the plans. Item #2, in particular, is just preposterous.

Indeed, if this were true, MM+ would have been shelved months ago!

BrianLo

Showed a bit of SDL's PoTC, which I hope will be a cool new take on a classic, but I have big worries since this isn't the Pirate Mountain concept that Tim Delaney worked on for a few years for HKDL that was shelved for cost. I'm not so concerned about fanbois trying to guess about things by looking at one or two pieces of concept art and ride layout, more concerned about this new WDI fascination with mapping and projection tech as the new 'go to' toy for the parks.

Speaking of SDL, as someone planning on being there for the opening it would be damn nice if Disney/Iger announced the date already. They have one. They have for a while. It is spring of 2014 and they're looking at opening in either November or December of 2015. C'mon already! Us Faux Top One Percenters are not going to actually pay for our flights except with miles and those cheap reward tix need to be booked far out!

Well you can't book an award ticket until 330 days out, so you have a while on that front. I honestly half expected it to be delayed, I am glad they are still sticking to 2015 (for now).

As far as projection mapping goes, it is a real highlight of Mystic Manor, so I have no real qualms with its usage. As long as the incorporation of many different technologies, including physical sets and AA's continues.

Iger was playing the 'I am not gonna be here in 27 months card' when answering that babble that was supposed to be a question about the DL subs returning. He knows that Disney has plans for a drastic SW redo of that area, but since the timetable got pushed back nothing will happen on his watch. That's really the whole deal with corporate BS today ... you spin a lie enough so that it is kinda, sorta, partly true and you go with that.

This assumes he won't at least announce the project before he leaves... there is no way he is letting that slide without taking some (most) of the credit.

wogwog

Well, it didnt took long for nature to reclaim the Six Flags park at New Orleans after hurricane Katrina.
I would say it would take less than a year for vegetation to start growing everywhere.
The MK will have added so much more concrete by then it will take nature a bit longer there than DHS to grow over near the castle especially.

wogwog

Apologies if others have addressed this...husband, son, work, house...never enough time for faffing about on the computer...

In London and the SE, adverts for DLP are EVERYWHERE. Telly, magazines, 'net...and from 2010-2102, we could save tokens from The Sun and redeem them for a free day trip for four to DLP! We did it twice and total cost for our family was £20 plus petrol. It was worth the embarrassment of being seen buying The Sun.

This past autumn, no tokens to collect...and I've seen fewer discounted offers this year than in previous years. We've stayed on property twice at DLP (Newport Bay/Sequoia Lodge), both times after booking massively discounted packages (direct). £500 for five nights, included length-of-stay park tickets and an enormous breakfast every morning. While I haven't been scouring the 'net for deals this year, I sure haven't seen anything like that. The state of DLP on our last visit...it would have to be a CRACKER of deal to get me back. We're planning a visit to Efteling, instead.

As for DCL, I definitely see more adverts than ever. Cruising is SO huge here. There is a channel on Freeview (free to air) that shows cruise related programmes/infomercials all day (Holiday & Cruise Channel?).

No one in England is more than 60 miles from the sea, so there are 60 million people just a short drive away from the terminals. Limeys love Disney...Disney would be mad not to try and tap this market. I am not immune to the marketing and popped into our local travel agent to grab some brochures on Monday...chatted with the manager. She is expecting BIG business for DCL next year as they will have a ship in and out of Dover a few times next summer. I won't lie...despite being less than impressed with Aulani (understatement...I was greeted at check-in with "Photo ID and credit card"...and it did not improve from there), I am tempted by the idea of DCL. Love the idea of family evening shows after "cultural" ports like St. Petersburg (assuming we're not at war with Russia next year...). DCL in the Baltic seems like a bit of dessert after dinner.;)
"faffing about" I have not heard that delightful bit of language since living in England. I also remember delightful economical trips to DLP while living and working in England for several years. Wonderfully the DLP specials were good for my British address and I was not excluded for being a Yank abroad. If DCL returns to the Baltic look for me aboard. Love DCL so much more than the parks especially in recent years. Here in Florida the cruise lines offer excellent discounts for locals. Sailed eleven times last year with the majority on DCL. Sailing Royal C to South Hampton in a few months. Cheers.

LondonGopher

Sailed eleven times last year with the majority on DCL. Sailing Royal C to South Hampton in a few months. Cheers.

Indeed? Then let me pick your brain...Baltic on DCL...ports that demand long and thorough explorations. It it worth paying the Disney premium for a cruise where so much time will be spent ashore? Or should I go RC or Cunard at half the price?

My TA suggested the DCL Dover-Barcelona repositioning cruise next year so we could enjoy the shipboard offerings...but DH MUCH prefers the ports on the Baltic sailings.

I should be glad of your advice...Ta! And sorry for wandering off-topic but I thought it might interest others...maybe? ;)

Bolna

Wonderfully the DLP specials were good for my British address and I was not excluded for being a Yank abroad.

Actually, anyone can book any of the specials DLP offers for one specific country. While the website won't let you change the country, it is a pure electronic transaction (i.e. confirmation comes via email, nothing is mailed to you). I just add my country after the name of the city and leave the country set as it is. My last trip was booked through the French website, but I have used Ireland and UK in the past. Generally UK, France and the Netherlands seem to have the best offers, but things change quite regularly. If you find a country with a great deal, but are unsure of your foreign language abilities to book through this, you can also call the DLP call centre (which btw is operated by WDW, at least that's what they told me when I called the last year) and ask for the deal specifically.

Cesar R M

Just heard on the radio that Bob Iger said he is ready to raise WDW cast member pay.
Lol I wont believe it until I see it.

The MK will have added so much more concrete by then it will take nature a bit longer there than DHS to grow over near the castle especially.
It wuold just need a hurricane or two to move sand and raw materials for them to block or grow on the concrete.
but agree with you.. most of sixflags were metal and bare areas.. not many concrete buildings.

culturenthrills

Waited in an hour-long line to park at Universal Saturday evening. And saw a huge, unshaded line waiting to see some has-been I've never heard of in EPCOT Sunday.

My take-away was old people like free concerts.

Speaking of EPCOT, despite some truly novel options, the only F&G booth with a line was Italy. If this was Food & Wine, every booth would be at least a 30-minute wait. There was also a huge line to pay $15 for a pre-mixed margarita at La Cava. Behold the power of branding and Disney memes.

My one beef with UNI is parking. I don't know why they are not opening the other toll plaza for Mardi Gras nights esp during Spring Break. They were even checking AP's for ID. They have opened both plazas in the past and always during HHN. Couldn't believe how packed it was for Foreigner(who were surprisingly good, so was Collective Soul and both bands played for hour and a half instead of the usual hour and fifteen). I can't wait to finally see Weezer after all these years and I am expecting that one to be packed too.

The F&G crowd is an older crowd and the don't seem to be as interested in the food booths. I just don't think they have caught on yet. I will say this I enjoyed it way more than I did F&W last year. Really liked the pork slider, shrimp and grits and the bacon cupcake.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
My one beef with UNI is parking. I don't know why they are not opening the other toll plaza for Mardi Gras nights esp during Spring Break. They were even checking AP's for ID. They have opened both plazas in the past and always during HHN. Couldn't believe how packed it was for Foreigner(who were surprisingly good, so was Collective Soul and both bands played for hour and a half instead of the usual hour and fifteen). I can't wait to finally see Weezer after all these years and I am expecting that one to be packed too.

The F&G crowd is an older crowd and the don't seem to be as interested in the food booths. I just don't think they have caught on yet. I will say this I enjoyed it way more than I did F&W last year. Really liked the pork slider, shrimp and grits and the bacon cupcake.

Gardeners tend to be responsible people who have taste, Not the Drunkytown crowd who comes for the WS pub crawl

lazyboy97o

He did say the project is specific to EC. That rules out Soaring, unless Soaring is getting a unique Florida version of the new film.
Eh, I don't put too much stock in that because I've heard plenty of people be unaware of other aspects of projects, etc. If I recall correctly Rees has yet to oversee a major attraction and has typically been involved in smaller aspects.

Soarin has an film projector, DL Soarin is Digital already I believe so a EC Digital would be specific to EC only in the parks.
Both are film.

Goofyernmost

At this point I think that outcome is inevitable. Else why is everything but NGE being cut, Once again look at the contractors involved. Palantir - This is a company who builds software for intelligence agencies. One really wonders where the endless cornucopia of cash for NGE is coming from and WHY will Iger not answer questions about it.

Clip from Palantir's website
We currently offer a suite of software applications for integrating, visualizing and analyzing the world's information. We support many kinds of data including structured, unstructured, relational, temporal and geospatial.

Our products are built for real analysis with a focus on security, scalability, ease of use and collaboration. They are broadly deployed in the intelligence, defense, law enforcement and financial communities, and are spreading rapidly by word of mouth into applications in other industries and realms of impact.

Palantir is headquartered in downtown Palo Alto, CA, with offices around the world.
I'm sorry, but the point of this is an assumption that the evil people in the world, be it our own government or outside forces, have some reason to be concerned about how many Mickey plush's I purchase and how many times I buy popcorn or ride Small World.

I know the association seems to bring out the best of imaginations, but, I have yet to hear or see and feasible reason that anyone besides Disney would want or need that information. Now using a company that knows how to track and collect information makes pretty good sense for a company that so many feel that management is as incompetent as possible. If you want to build a bicycle you don't call in company that makes radio's.

All this stuff about Disney tracking people in their parks is something that a little thought would make anyone realize that they have been doing that by camera, computer and manually for years and years. The more things change the more they stay the same.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom