The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

71jason

I have done RC and DCL. DCL trumped food, more friendly employees (not that RC's werent friendly, DCL's were just always above and beyond), details on DCL couldn't be rivaled, shows could not be compared, Castaway Cay > Coco Cay, and the list goes on. It is why I booked DCL last week for a 7 day cruise over someone else. Having done DCL and non DCL it is worth the extra cost in my eyes.

I think DCL does a lot of things better than Carnival/RC. I just would argue customer service is impeccable on all three lines (from what I hear about RC, and all are far ahead of CMs in parks and resorts). Not an attack on DCL, I agree it justifies a premium price--but that's not because it's crew is so much better.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I know for a fact that Acxiom Corp. is working directly with Disney on analytics both in-house and coordinated. Believe me, the amount of data Acxiom collects on "customers" for their customers is nothing short of astounding. Their ability to extrapolate small data sets and create expected/verifiable outcome expectations is very high. They work with quite a few worldwide retailers, media companies, service providers and much more.

Acxiom is a data broker I'm very familiar with them and Disney probably wants to sell access to the NGE data to them. I'm still puzzled as to why well known retail analytics firms are not involved.

stevehousse

I'm at Epcot right now and I just want to throw this out there....FP+ you have ruined this park!! 30 minute wait for SSE 15 for Nemo 65 for TT at 9:30 am 100 for Soarin by 9:45. Well ok, it's not all your fault FP+ I blame half this on TDO for not adding an expansion in 20 years.

It's spring break for a lot of people hence I'm sure it's pretty crowded and those wait times r the normal for the time of year it is. I wouldn't necessarily say it's just because of FP+...

MarkTwain

@WDW1974, Any thoughts on this?

http://www.buzzfeed.com/peterlauria/why-bob-iger-may-not-leave-disney-in-2016

It's interesting how much of a cheerleading tone this article (and most other media outlets) take for Iger. He's really becoming the quite the paradox. His leadership as CEO has been extremely successful for Disney's stock price, and clearly many shareholders are pleased with his performance. There's no denying that the Animation Studios have seen a tremendous turnaround during his reign, and that acquisitions like Marvel and Pixar have been very profitable, so to some extent it's easy to see why shareholders love him. That 99% support figure at the shareholder's meeting is very telling.

But at the same time they seem blind to his disturbing spending habits, from the relatively quiet (but significant) failures with MM+ and Disney Interactive, to much more public debacles resulting from a film studio built exclusively on expensive tentpoles (Prince of Persia, John Carter, Lone Ranger, Mars Need Moms). And many on this site justifiably take issue with his lack of interest in theme parks, reliance on sequels and branding (successful though the animation studios have been, their movies have also added five princesses to the toy line-up in the last five years - the first five princesses debuted over 54 years), and in general little patience with genuinely creative ideas. The problem is that while Eisner's creative failures led to financial failures as well, Iger's creative failures seem to always be masked by successes in other divisions (e.g. John Carter being quickly covered up with the Avengers, which does little to support the central Disney brand).

As a result, the stock price soars while the creative integrity of the company suffers.

Last edited:

Fe Maiden

I have done RC and DCL. DCL trumped food, more friendly employees (not that RC's werent friendly, DCL's were just always above and beyond), details on DCL couldn't be rivaled, shows could not be compared, Castaway Cay > Coco Cay, and the list goes on. It is why I booked DCL last week for a 7 day cruise over someone else. Having done DCL and non DCL it is worth the extra cost in my eyes.

The thing that keeps me from going on DCL is Disney itself. I'm just not that interested in a "disneyfied" cruise. Wow, I can meet Captain America? No thanks. I've never heard a bad word about DCL, know they have great food, great service, even appreciate the look of their ships (hate the boxy look of today's ships) but I can get what makes DCL great on other lines for less. Or pay a few dollars more per day for a true luxury line.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
The thing that keeps me from going on DCL is Disney itself. I'm just not that interested in a "disneyfied" cruise. Wow, I can meet Captain America? No thanks. I've never heard a bad word about DCL, know they have great food, great service, even appreciate the look of their ships (hate the boxy look of today's ships) but I can get what makes DCL great on other lines for less. Or pay a few dollars more per day for a true luxury line.

And that along with what @71jason said is all perspective. The way we did our's on DCL in December it was not over Disneyfied and I saw aspects that makes it worth it to me over the others. On the flipside this is a POSITVE, you have different lines whose prices all reflect their products that overall really have a ton of quality in it. A problem with making a choice I will gladly take.

Travel Junkie

I'm at Epcot right now and I just want to throw this out there....FP+ you have ruined this park!! 30 minute wait for SSE 15 for Nemo 65 for TT at 9:30 am 100 for Soarin by 9:45. Well ok, it's not all your fault FP+ I blame half this on TDO for not adding an expansion in 20 years.

So far FP+ has really increased the standby times of secondary attractions. Yesterday for example there were times the Jungle Cruise had the longest wait in MK. So sure you get your FP for Space, Splash, and Big Thunder then wait in standby for 45 minutes plus for JC, HM and Pirates.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yep, nothing but sarcasm there, glad you could tell. :D

I think I'm about done with all of this. Trip last fall was just disappointment after disappointment at WDW. And I stay connected here hoping, just hoping, to see some real hope for the place. Avatar isn't it, Disney Springs isn't it. Those just aren't going to restore the magic. Without a dramatic shift in the corporate culture, they will indeed hit a 'tipping point' and the way back will be dimly lit, if at all.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit, in the not too distant future, to see rumblings of them completely closing one of the 'gates', under the guise of a complete re-do, only to drag their feet, and leave it a ghost town. If I had to guess, it would be DHS, as the outdoor food and shopping mall known as Epcot likely rakes in far too much cash and profit for that to be on the chopping block, plus they're already working in AK and MK won't go away. And, @WDW1974 I wish I was joking about that part.

One more thing before I go...'74 if you get a chance, can you pull up the PM I sent you last fall and see if you can connect me with someone? I do still have a very bitter taste in my mouth from that trip, and I have a bit more time available since my mom recently passed away and I'd like to follow up more on that. Thanks!:)

First, I am very sorry to hear about your mom.

As to that PM, I'll see what I can do over the weekend (have some out of town company coming, so if you don't hear from me until the middle of next week don't think I forgot ya!)

GiveMeTheMusic

So Uni is heading to Beijing, but DreamWorks Animation is partnering to build a $2.4 billion "lifestyle center" in Shanghai (no theme park component that I can tell, even at half of SDL's budget). Deadline has concept art for the center, its IMAX theater, DWA's new Chinese animation studio and a theater district with multiple Broadway-sized theaters.

Clearly, after a different demographic than SDL, but interesting nonetheless.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Good point. There must be a better analogy to get the idea across. You have become much better (expert even) at providing criticism and justifying your opinion. Others here are just boorishly negative which is tiresome (like you once were). And it drowns out well thought out content like you provide of late.

Since I took such a hit here on my opinion, I feel I need to give an example of how pure negativity is counter productive. We all know what happened after the AC closed around here. And what did all the endless atttacks on management accomplish? Hmmmm.

And now that there are rumors of the AC coming back in some form those critics are nowhere to be found. Because they know very well that negativity could get the rumored project scaled back or even canceled. I am going on the assumption the rumors may be true. Apparently AC fans think they are true too.

The squeaky wheel sometimes just gets replaced.

~Kungaloosh~

Let's end that right here. No legit news or rumours about the AC coming back in any form. Just none. Let's not start one, either.

WDW1974

Original Poster
At this point I think that outcome is inevitable. Else why is everything but NGE being cut, Once again look at the contractors involved. Palantir - This is a company who builds software for intelligence agencies. One really wonders where the endless cornucopia of cash for NGE is coming from and WHY will Iger not answer questions about it.

It does make those of us who have been following the world (and not just the World) since 9/11 wonder ...

Scuttle

First, I am very sorry to hear about your mom.

As to that PM, I'll see what I can do over the weekend (have some out of town company coming, so if you don't hear from me until the middle of next week don't think I forgot ya!)
Don't forget about him! Dave's a good guy. He even went out of his way when I was in Germany to go back outside of the park to grab me a 30th anniversary guide map without even knowing me. You the man Dave!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well you can't book an award ticket until 330 days out, so you have a while on that front. I honestly half expected it to be delayed, I am glad they are still sticking to 2015 (for now).

As far as projection mapping goes, it is a real highlight of Mystic Manor, so I have no real qualms with its usage. As long as the incorporation of many different technologies, including physical sets and AA's continues.

I don't think it will be delayed at all. If anything, they'll finish ahead of time just like they did in HK. Between budget hacking and Chinese 24/7 construction, they know exactly when they plan on opening. It's sorta absurd that on 10/1/79, TINY Walt Disney Productions broke ground on the largest private construction project in the world at the time and said 'come back three years from today for the opening' ... and today Disney can'....won't announce openings of everything from kiddie coasters at MK to entire resorts in Shanghai.

This assumes he won't at least announce the project before he leaves... there is no way he is letting that slide without taking some (most) of the credit.

I have heard a lot of 'chatter' ... on lots of things ...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom