The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

I keep coming back here hoping to see something that suggests there is still a chance for TDO to turn WDW around (I know, I know, but a guy can hope, right?), but after reading about what was said yesterday, I'm very disappointed. Sounds like (as you mentioned, Spirit,) nothing of any real substance on any front.

Now, a question: I remember reading somewhere (forget where) about a "mystery" attraction coming to Epcot in 2015. This really happening? Am I crazy?

71jason

And now that there are rumors of the AC coming back in some form those critics are nowhere to be found. Because they know very well that negativity could get the rumored project scaled back or even canceled. I am going on the assumption the rumors may be true. Apparently AC fans think they are true too.

Just curious what you're referring to here--nothing on the main Rumors board that I saw, nothing on Save PI or Screamscape.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This video again proves relevant

I hope he really doesnt pull an ENRON on disney.. making the priced subsections (entertainment + parks) run dry and move the money to the wall street zone only.
and Agree with you on the Ponzi schemes.

At this point I think that outcome is inevitable. Else why is everything but NGE being cut, Once again look at the contractors involved. Palantir - This is a company who builds software for intelligence agencies. One really wonders where the endless cornucopia of cash for NGE is coming from and WHY will Iger not answer questions about it.

Clip from Palantir's website
We currently offer a suite of software applications for integrating, visualizing and analyzing the world's information. We support many kinds of data including structured, unstructured, relational, temporal and geospatial.

Our products are built for real analysis with a focus on security, scalability, ease of use and collaboration. They are broadly deployed in the intelligence, defense, law enforcement and financial communities, and are spreading rapidly by word of mouth into applications in other industries and realms of impact.

Palantir is headquartered in downtown Palo Alto, CA, with offices around the world.

Last edited:

LondonGopher

Any advertising in the UK for DLP? Either print or broadcast or bus/subway station etc?

What about for DCL?

Apologies if others have addressed this...husband, son, work, house...never enough time for faffing about on the computer...

In London and the SE, adverts for DLP are EVERYWHERE. Telly, magazines, 'net...and from 2010-2102, we could save tokens from The Sun and redeem them for a free day trip for four to DLP! We did it twice and total cost for our family was £20 plus petrol. It was worth the embarrassment of being seen buying The Sun.

This past autumn, no tokens to collect...and I've seen fewer discounted offers this year than in previous years. We've stayed on property twice at DLP (Newport Bay/Sequoia Lodge), both times after booking massively discounted packages (direct). £500 for five nights, included length-of-stay park tickets and an enormous breakfast every morning. While I haven't been scouring the 'net for deals this year, I sure haven't seen anything like that. The state of DLP on our last visit...it would have to be a CRACKER of deal to get me back. We're planning a visit to Efteling, instead.

As for DCL, I definitely see more adverts than ever. Cruising is SO huge here. There is a channel on Freeview (free to air) that shows cruise related programmes/infomercials all day (Holiday & Cruise Channel?).

No one in England is more than 60 miles from the sea, so there are 60 million people just a short drive away from the terminals. Limeys love Disney...Disney would be mad not to try and tap this market. I am not immune to the marketing and popped into our local travel agent to grab some brochures on Monday...chatted with the manager. She is expecting BIG business for DCL next year as they will have a ship in and out of Dover a few times next summer. I won't lie...despite being less than impressed with Aulani (understatement...I was greeted at check-in with "Photo ID and credit card"...and it did not improve from there), I am tempted by the idea of DCL. Love the idea of family evening shows after "cultural" ports like St. Petersburg (assuming we're not at war with Russia next year...). DCL in the Baltic seems like a bit of dessert after dinner.;)

nor'easter

Good point. There must be a better analogy to get the idea across. You have become much better (expert even) at providing criticism and justifying your opinion. Others here are just boorishly negative which is tiresome (like you once were). And it drowns out well thought out content like you provide of late.

Since I took such a hit here on my opinion, I feel I need to give an example of how pure negativity is counter productive. We all know what happened after the AC closed around here. And what did all the endless atttacks on management accomplish? Hmmmm.

And now that there are rumors of the AC coming back in some form those critics are nowhere to be found. Because they know very well that negativity could get the rumored project scaled back or even canceled. I am going on the assumption the rumors may be true. Apparently AC fans think they are true too.

The squeaky wheel sometimes just gets replaced.

~Kungaloosh~

Squeaky wheels, drowned flies...you still don't make any sense.

lazyboy97o

Now, a question: I remember reading somewhere (forget where) about a "mystery" attraction coming to Epcot in 2015. This really happening? Am I crazy?
Jerry Rees made the comment about working on a "mystery" during an episode of The Season Pass Podcast. Nobody else has ever seemed to indicate what. Given his background in film he could be working on the new Soarin' film that recently did some filming at the Disneyland Resort.

PhotoDave219

Good point. There must be a better analogy to get the idea across. You have become much better (expert even) at providing criticism and justifying your opinion. Others here are just boorishly negative which is tiresome (like you once were). And it drowns out well thought out content like you provide of late.

Since I took such a hit here on my opinion, I feel I need to give an example of how pure negativity is counter productive. We all know what happened after the AC closed around here. And what did all the endless atttacks on management accomplish? Hmmmm.

~Kungaloosh~

I can see where you're coming from....

Most of my criticisms are of upper management. Senior, executive level stuff whom have never set foot in a Disney park and likely never will. All they're interested in is making their financial targets and I have a problem with that.

I also see how they feel in regards to criticism and that most senior executive level people - in any field - feel criticism is "being negative."

I disagree with that notion. I think that when you join a company like this, one that was started in a garage by a family and relies heavily on nostalgia & experiences for it's business, the criticisms are valid.

I think senior management has to take I to account it's customer base beyond Wall Street. They've strayed far from it and I don't care for it.

Also, adv club is dead. Long live the club.

~Kungaloosh~
So what you are saying here is that the endless attacks may have played a part in convincing management to possibly bring back AC? If that is true, why would the "critics" criticize that which they were being critical about if it accomplished what the goal was to begin with?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Well, it didnt took long for nature to reclaim the Six Flags park at New Orleans after hurricane Katrina.
I would say it would take less than a year for vegetation to start growing everywhere.

The D8's would be employed so DHS could not be re-opened by another management team and made successful, I've been through too many corporate 'scorched earth' campaigns to think something like this would be any different.

When you get to 'Mahogany Row' you are living in the land of fragile ego's and irrational decision making at least in the US.

PeterAlt

I keep coming back here hoping to see something that suggests there is still a chance for TDO to turn WDW around (I know, I know, but a guy can hope, right?), but after reading about what was said yesterday, I'm very disappointed. Sounds like (as you mentioned, Spirit,) nothing of any real substance on any front.

That is really happening. A Disney Imagineer talked about it on a podcast.

PeterAlt

Jerry Rees made the comment about working on a "mystery" during an episode of The Season Pass Podcast. Nobody else has ever seemed to indicate what. Given his background in film he could be working on the new Soarin' film that recently did some filming at the Disneyland Resort.
He did say the project is specific to EC. That rules out Soaring, unless Soaring is getting a unique Florida version of the new film.

Cesar R M

~Kungaloosh~

regarding your quote here:
and what did all the endless atttacks on management accomplish? Hmmmm.
I can say that happens when the top executives are more focused on their ego and profits than worrying about best performance and good service... not because of "over negativism".
taking a dumb 9 year old "I wont do this because they called me a booboo!" stance of revenge-behavior to the critics, will not win them anything.

I can see where you're coming from....

Most of my criticisms are of upper management. Senior, executive level stuff whom have never set foot in a Disney park and likely never will. All they're interested in is making their financial targets and I have a problem with that.

I also see how they feel in regards to criticism and that most senior executive level people - in any field - feel criticism is "being negative."

I disagree with that notion. I think that when you join a company like this, one that was started in a garage by a family and relies heavily on nostalgia & experiences for it's business, the criticisms are valid.

I think senior management has to take I to account it's customer base beyond Wall Street. They've strayed far from it and I don't care for it.

Also, adv club is dead. Long live the club.
And things will never improve in the parks if they never set foot.. They are always in the "wall street land" not in Disneyland, so their priority will be always wall street value than anything else.. even if the disney brand crumbles to dust.

Also, its my imagination or the server is burping internal server errors left and right??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom