The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm sorry, but the point of this is an assumption that the evil people in the world, be it our own government or outside forces, have some reason to be concerned about how many Mickey plush's I purchase and how many times I buy popcorn or ride Small World.

I know the association seems to bring out the best of imaginations, but, I have yet to hear or see and feasible reason that anyone besides Disney would want or need that information. Now using a company that knows how to track and collect information makes pretty good sense for a company that so many feel that management is as incompetent as possible. If you want to build a bicycle you don't call in company that makes radio's.

All this stuff about Disney tracking people in their parks is something that a little thought would make anyone realize that they have been doing that by camera, computer and manually for years and years. The more things change the more they stay the same.

In that case you bring in a business analytics company SAP/Oracle immediately come to mind, Since a Intelligence analytics INSTEAD of a BUSINESS analytics company was hired Inquiring minds want to know WHY do you bring in a company who specialty is Intelligence gathering for Government/Military/Law Enforcement ???. Instead of a company who focuses on getting people to BUY things...

Or is this one more monumentally stupid move because some exec's in Burbank thought it would be 'cool' to hang out with the intelligence crowd. (who are laughing their a--es off at the TWDC types in their SCIF's in DC.)

All I am saying is it's a INTERESTING choice, Hiring Palantir instead of other analytics firms who specialize in getting people to BUY things.

Last edited:

Crafty

I think that Disney management is waiting for a drop in attendance. When that happens, they will take the minimal action needed to barely reverse the trend.

As long as they can raise costs and degrade customer experience through cuts, they will. That is their business model.

Is room occupancy up or down?

Are sales at the VGF brisk?

Is park attendance up or down?

These are the questions that need to be answered.

71jason

My one beef with UNI is parking. I don't know why they are not opening the other toll plaza for Mardi Gras nights esp during Spring Break. They were even checking AP's for ID. They have opened both plazas in the past and always during HHN. Couldn't believe how packed it was for Foreigner(who were surprisingly good, so was Collective Soul and both bands played for hour and a half instead of the usual hour and fifteen). I can't wait to finally see Weezer after all these years and I am expecting that one to be packed too.

The F&G crowd is an older crowd and the don't seem to be as interested in the food booths. I just don't think they have caught on yet. I will say this I enjoyed it way more than I did F&W last year. Really liked the pork slider, shrimp and grits and the bacon cupcake.

Agreed on the parking issue, tho I was not a fan of the Foreigner cover band at all.

As for F&W, proves my point. Hasn't caught on with the masses. Doesn't have name recognition yet. People go to F&W to go to F&W, not because of the quality of the experience. It's as much a stunt as a dining event.

Goofyernmost

In that case you bring in a business analytics company SAP/Oracle immediately come to mind, Since a Intelligence analytics INSTEAD of a BUSINESS analytics company was hired Inquiring minds want to know WHY do you bring in a company who specialty is Intelligence gathering for Government/Military/Law Enforcement ???. Instead of a company who focuses on getting people to BUY things...

Or is this one more monumentally stupid move because some exec's in Burbank thought it would be 'cool' to hang out with the intelligence crowd. (who are laughing their a--es off at the TWDC types in their SCIF's in DC.)

All I am saying is it's a INTERESTING choice, Hiring Palantir instead of other analytics firms who specialize in getting people to BUY things.
OK, I see what you're saying, but, still I think that if my purpose was to gather information that would be my go to place. Disney already does a good job of separating one from their money. I doubt that they think they need any help in that area. Just tell them what is going on, and they will market the hell out of it. I mean they already have a pretty good sized marketing department, all that they need is information to decide which way to go with it.

Rodan75

It's only stronger if you look at the surface and don't scratch it. The foundation is decayed in many areas (much like WDW's parks are ... quick someone, Tweet Dr. Blondie about the Tree of Life crumbling!) ... The business model that Iger and Co are using isn't sustainable. Think about it: they pay their workers nothing, they keep raising prices and cutting quality and they are doing GREAT ... they are making record profits.

But, and I really hope everyone reads this post and lets it sink in, what happens when they finally get a blip in the business? What happens if some evildoers crash a few planes? What happens if the 'economic recovery' lie is shown to largely be just that? What happens if there are weather disasters in the USA? What happens if ... people simply decide that WDW is too pricey? What happens if Disney has 2-3 $200 million writedowns from making every film a tentpole release?

What happens if all sorts of little things just start adding up? You can't cut any more (they'll try, of course). And you can't charge $150 for a day at EPCOT and raise adult drinks to $20 each. You can't cut salaries of people who make $8 an hour. So then what?

I can tell you very simply that if that day comes, Disney will start shedding 'assets' simply to stay above water. I know that fanbois won't let that trickle into their heads (they are too busy clutching Oswald plush while wearing their D23 Dreamfinder tees and drinking out of Orange Bird mugs) but that IS reality.

Cuts won't be closing a dining facility, letting an attraction fall apart or closing marinas. That's all been done when things ostensibly have never been better for TWDC.

No, cuts will be selling Marvel off or Pixar ... or parts (or all) of P&R.

That business model isn't sustainable forever. And Iger only cares about the next 2 1/4 years. After that, the company could crumble and it won't be his legacy.

Oh and I love @ParentsOf4 ... really. Not in the fanboi/Imagineer way, either. I absolutely believe he is looking for employment with his posts here, and I'd hire him ... after I hired myself and @Lee.

EDIT (to add): That said, I agree with everything you wrote except the part of everything being fixable. Sometimes, the damage is just too much, too deep. WDW, for example, is so decayed in quality (if not infrastructure) that Walmart is the rule. I don't see them able to go back to Nordstrom or Saks. Maybe ... maybe they can get back to Macy's.

And, Iger wants his replacement to be either Staggs or Rasulo (whomever survives their duel to the death) and that just can not happen for Disney to ever come close to what it once was. Those guys will continue his policies and the current business model. They absolutely will destroy the company just as all those Wall Street bankers cost the American people trillions of dollars with their Ponzi and other schemes.

I agree with much of what you say above, but not even the almighty Comcast could weather that many storms without major changes as well. The truth is, what you describe isn't about Disney, it about our consumerism economy. Not many publically traded companies can survive a moderate recession.

In the salary department, again a microcosm of the greater economy. I want Dis to employ the best, but I don't expect it when park admission is a fraction of the cost of a top artist concert ticket. Even our beloved DCL gets away with poor pay packages that are fractions above Carnival.

I don't believe any CEO could make folks here happy without broader changes with Wall Street and the economy at large.

I appreciate that Iger made TWDC stronger today, I appreciate that he doesn't meddle too heavily in the creative, I appreciate that I enjoy virtually every studio movie they produce.

bhg469

I agree with much of what you say above, but not even the almighty Comcast could weather that many storms without major changes as well. The truth is, what you describe isn't about Disney, it about our consumerism economy. Not many publically traded companies can survive a moderate recession.

In the salary department, again a microcosm of the greater economy. I want Dis to employ the best, but I don't expect it when park admission is a fraction of the cost of a top artist concert ticket. Even our beloved DCL gets away with poor pay packages that are fractions above Carnival.

I don't believe any CEO could make folks here happy without broader changes with Wall Street and the economy at large.

I appreciate that Iger made TWDC stronger today, I appreciate that he doesn't meddle too heavily in the creative, I appreciate that I enjoy virtually every studio movie they produce.
Concert tickets are not a fraction of gate admission buddy. Maybe one or two acts are about 200 bucks but that also depends on venue. One of the top current draws in the country is Timberlake. Those tickets aren't any more than a park hopper.. I do ticketing, its what pays my bills and you're describing a big concert in a huge market, wdw is not a big market product. They are more like a meatloaf tribute band.

Last edited:

Yensid1974

Star Wars absolutely has NOTHING to deal with any parking issues at the Studios.

It isn't happening yet because Iger wants to shove the new Disney films IP into the area AND, and more importantly, WDW spending has been severely cut to make up for MM+ rollout issues.

Those are facts. The real story. No BS. No spin.

I believe that your assessment of the SW Land situation is spot on. My question is this, given this information when should we realistically expect an opening of a new land for SW? I am guessing by the time Episode Nine is getting ready to hit theaters. Think that is too soon?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
OK, I see what you're saying, but, still I think that if my purpose was to gather information that would be my go to place. Disney already does a good job of separating one from their money. I doubt that they think they need any help in that area. Just tell them what is going on, and they will market the hell out of it. I mean they already have a pretty good sized marketing department, all that they need is information to decide which way to go with it.

Intelligence data gathering is far different from collecting marketing data, it is about collecting actionable information about INDIVIDUAL's not creating marketing profiles which is why the choice is so puzzling as there are firms which do analysis of real time buyer psychology, eye tracking, dynamic pricing (think electronic shelf tags).

Hiring a firm whose primary product is systems to produce classified dossier's on individuals for government agencies as opposed to a firm who collects realtime data to influence point of sale impulse buying.

1 - Disney has made a monumentally stupid decision.
2 - Disney is participating in intelligence activities with a secondary goal of creating individual buyer profiles
3 - The black helicopter crowd is correct.

My personal vote is #1 because the whole NGE is about shiny objects of dubious utility.

Eye tracking system

http://www.prsresearch.com/prs-tools/prs-eye-tracking/

Electronic Shelf tags

http://www.store-electronic-systems.com/en/content/esl-electronic-shelf-labels

This is just the stuff i've worked with and helped customers integrate

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

Intelligence data gathering is far different from collecting marketing data, it is about collecting actionable information about INDIVIDUAL's not creating marketing profiles which is why the choice is so puzzling as there are firms which do analysis of real time buyer psychology, eye tracking, dynamic pricing (think electronic shelf tags).

Hiring a firm whose primary product is systems to produce classified dossier's on individuals for government agencies as opposed to a firm who collects realtime data to influence point of sale impulse buying.

2 - Disney is participating in intelligence activities with a secondary goal of creating individual buyer profiles

My personal vote is #1 because the whole NGE is about shiny objects of dubious utility.
Yes, but dossier's are capable of having a variety of content. If it's the habits of people roaming around WDW or who is selling secrets to the Russians wouldn't some the same processes be germane? Gathering information that is important to the organization seeking it?

Cesar R M

Imho, Pretty sure they are doing more than just marketing studies.. perhaps doing full face recognition, tracking, psychology studies to see who buys what he does.. he complains? he doesnt?
It would probably also be used to see averages, mean lines and toleration of guests to bad service...

Marketing information would be used to get better product or get clients what they want.
THIS PALANTIR tech seems more to study THE PERSON not the CONSUMER..
Their information can be used for more things than just marketing and products.

I think that Disney management is waiting for a drop in attendance. When that happens, they will take the minimal action needed to barely reverse the trend.

As long as they can raise costs and degrade customer experience through cuts, they will. That is their business model.

Is room occupancy up or down?

Are sales at the VGF brisk?

Is park attendance up or down?

These are the questions that need to be answered.
If that is true, then why keep raising costs? they want to squeeze as much before the imminent collapse?
That is why they want to buy as much property as possible and explot it before they diminish of value?

Eye tracking system

http://www.prsresearch.com/prs-tools/prs-eye-tracking/

Electronic Shelf tags

http://www.store-electronic-systems.com/en/content/esl-electronic-shelf-labels

This is just the stuff i've worked with and helped customers integrate

Agree with you there, but that doesnt mean they cant use that information for real personalized stuff for clients ( ala Google + tracking)

They could also do an amazing study of real people to see their desires, tastes.etc.. (aka social experiment) for other people ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yes, but dossier's are capable of having a variety of content. If it's the habits of people roaming around WDW or who is selling secrets to the Russians wouldn't some the same processes be germane? Gathering information that is important to the organization seeking it?

True - but the mindset of the software is creating geolocation data so you can eliminate a target with a special ops team or a drone, or creating a set of data which can be used in court as evidence in a criminal case, All I can think of without going down the conspiracy rathole is that It makes exec's feel like M in the Bond movies.

Retail these days is a science if you have done any work with a large retailer, And it's puzzling as to why the well known retail analytics firms are not working on this project especially since the stated goal is to increase impulse spending.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Imho, Pretty sure they are doing more than just marketing studies.. perhaps doing full face recognition, tracking, psychology studies to see who buys what he does.. he complains? he doesnt?
It would probably also be used to see averages, mean lines and toleration of guests to bad service...

Marketing information would be used to get better product or get clients what they want.
THIS PALANTIR tech seems more to study THE PERSON not the CONSUMER..
Their information can be used for more things than just marketing and products.

ould also do an amazing study of real people to see their desires, tastes.etc.. (aka social experiment) for other people ;)

That kind of dossier building is generally reserved for Gov't agencies and if Governments are the ultimate customer for this information it would explain why the project has a unlimited budget as detailed dossiers on millions of people would be literally priceless to government researchers who are legally enjoined from creating such data sets -but not peeking at data in PRIVATE hands.

Of course if this is the motivation for the project and it gets out - Well Congressman Markey who was asking WHY all this data is being collected and rudely answered by Iger is going to be the least of their problems.

I'm thinking hoping that it's simply 'spies are cool' because if Disney is in a 'Spying for Governments is fun and profitable' brand destruction will be overnight.

michmousefan

Last edited:

71jason

In the salary department, again a microcosm of the greater economy. I want Dis to employ the best, but I don't expect it when park admission is a fraction of the cost of a top artist concert ticket.

But the fast food joints in WDW charge double what Mickey D's gets--can't I expect better service there? What about the stores, with their prices shouldn't I expect better customer service than Wal-Mart?

Even our beloved DCL gets away with poor pay packages that are fractions above Carnival.

Having sailed both, I don't know that DCL's advantage over Carnival is customer service--it is exceptional on both lines. Most negative comparisons to DCL's customer service involve the parks.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Having sailed both, I don't know that DCL's advantage over Carnival is customer service--it is exceptional on both lines. Most negative comparisons to DCL's customer service involve the parks.

I have done RC and DCL. DCL trumped food, more friendly employees (not that RC's werent friendly, DCL's were just always above and beyond), details on DCL couldn't be rivaled, shows could not be compared, Castaway Cay > Coco Cay, and the list goes on. It is why I booked DCL last week for a 7 day cruise over someone else. Having done DCL and non DCL it is worth the extra cost in my eyes.

Bolna

I want Dis to employ the best, but I don't expect it when park admission is a fraction of the cost of a top artist concert ticket.

I truly think comparing theme park tickets to other entertainment ticket prices does not make any sense and the example of concerts is especially useless. I have heard from someone who works in the top management in the music industry and has been involved with artists that are globally known that in todays market concerts is where there is still money to be made. In the past artists would give concerts to promote their albums. Now it is more the other way around in the world of easy access to digital copies. So the price of a concert ticket is not set by how expensive it is to pay for the light show, the rent for the venue and the people working there, it is a price that goes as high as possible to maximise return.

The same goal (maximising return) sets the prices for WDW tickets. That's why we see the annual price hikes that far exceed increase in costs (as shown by the same sentence every quarter about how profits have increased due to increased guest spending caused by higher prices). They will rise prices until they hit the price which people are no longer willing to pay.

Investing in your labour force is not something that brings an immediate return - however, that's the only thing that counts for the current TWDC's management...

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
True - but the mindset of the software is creating geolocation data so you can eliminate a target with a special ops team or a drone, or creating a set of data which can be used in court as evidence in a criminal case, All I can think of without going down the conspiracy rathole is that It makes exec's feel like M in the Bond movies.

Retail these days is a science if you have done any work with a large retailer, And it's puzzling as to why the well known retail analytics firms are not working on this project especially since the stated goal is to increase impulse spending.

I know for a fact that Acxiom Corp. is working directly with Disney on analytics both in-house and coordinated. Believe me, the amount of data Acxiom collects on "customers" for their customers is nothing short of astounding. Their ability to extrapolate small data sets and create expected/verifiable outcome expectations is very high. They work with quite a few worldwide retailers, media companies, service providers and much more.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
But the fast food joints in WDW charge double what Mickey D's gets--can't I expect better service there? What about the stores, with their prices shouldn't I expect better customer service than Wal-Mart?

I don't know about your McDonald's and WalMart but if I received the same level of service at WDW that I do at either I would NEVER return. While the service at WDW is not always perfect, in general it is substantially better than the typical service we get at most fast food and discount retail stores in my area. For all the "declines" in customer service at WDW the same service declines have been going on even more radically in food-service, hospitality, retail in the markets I frequent. Much of the decline locally comes from the fact that sales are/were down so the stores cut back customer facing positions at an alarming rate.

When workers are either overworked or underpaid you get poor service in general. Here there is are so many open minimum wage jobs that local retailers are starting to pay a premium for good people, some up to $15/hr and that is in Little Rock, AR.

71jason

For all the "declines" in customer service at WDW the same service declines have been going on even more radically in food-service, hospitality, retail in the markets I frequent. Much of the decline locally comes from the fact that sales are/were down so the stores cut back customer facing positions at an alarming rate.

Next time you're in town, swing by Chik-Fil-A. Then we'll talk about WDW QSR service. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom