The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

PhotoDave219

Wait wait wait...you can get the actual race medal just by paying?

Is that new? I ran the wine and dine half in 2012 and they gave you a medal after you crossed the finish line. You get plenty of stuff before the race and get into the Epcot after party just for signing up, but it would be kinda sad to get the finisher's medal if you didn't finish.

.... Im not 100% positive but Ive heard this from CMs

PeterAlt

Scrap it then. It should not be the 4th most expensive movie ever made. And PotC 3 should not be #1 for sure.

Sorry, Tangled was #2. John Carter #4.

Yes, John Carter is #4 all time.
Unofficially, Avatar is still the most expensive movie ever made. It's real price tag was in the neighborhood of $400 million. The cost is derived from what Fox put into it (the official cost of the film) plus additional money put into the project by two outside private investment interests that Cameron went out and got after he realized he got all he could get out of Fox.

The next film to break budget records will be Battle Angel, a film Cameron will direct and has co-written. Battle Angel actually started pre-production art before Avatar (the first one) even started. Its art department has been in continuous work on the project ever since and will continue until actual production begins (after the Avatar sequels are finished). It is rumored that the Battle Angel project will require a budget of upward of $800 million! That's also the rumored budget for Avatar Land at Animal Kingdom.

FYI, before Avatar, the most expensive film ever produced up until that point was Titanic (at $200 million). Before that, it was Terminator 2 at $100 million. The first Terminator had a budget of $50 million. Coincidentally, Cameron was the director/writer for all these.

Cameron's determination of making the highest budget movies of all time by doubling the budget of the last record breaker is part of a weird superstition he has. Part of that superstition is that his films' titles must always begin with the letters "A" or "T". This is why Battle Angel will be called Alita: Battle Angel, instead of just Battle Angel.

If you're curious what the movie will be about, it's based on a Japanese anime series. Go into Google, click images from the top, and search Battle Angel to see the artwork from the original anime. Now, imagine Cameron's take on it and an art department under his direction that's been developing Cameron's take on it for longer than a decade now...

Last edited:

Longhairbear

We had another one two weeks ago, in Marina Del Rey. That one was tiny, though.

It's amazing when you're in motion you can't feel a quake. It's normal you didn't realize it was an earthquake on Journey to the Center of the Earth haha. 6.9 is bad, hope that doesn't happen here anytime soon.
Here in Palm Springs we can hear them coming toward us across the desert floor, and usually the house creaks, or a little shake. We've had bigger, and when one big shake stopped, the pool sloshed out each end for a few minutes.

StageFrenzy

They had soups when we were there, too, but not the cones. I can't stand those cones at DCA, so I guess I have no reason to go back there (there as in the Gazebo, not TDR!).

I'm actually a bit surprised that the cones aren't all they've imported from Cars Land. My Japanese friends (who have visited the states--which is most of them, because Japanese Disney fans aren't afraid to travel internationally) all are infatuated with Cars Land. When you think about it, it really does make more sense there--an incredibly well done land, with merchandising! If I were a betting man, I'd say Cars Land goes to Tokyo Disneyland before it goes to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

The Japanese also have a thriving car culture and view the 50-60's as one of the high watermarks of car design and beauty. Carland's evokes that.

Next Big Thing

So you still feel like they really care/ready for some cuddles afterwords?
Do I feel like they are doing everything they could? no, not at all. There's much more they could be doing. With the same token, are MagicBands the big disaster they are made out to be? no, they actually work pretty well. That doesn't mean they haven't cost way too much money though.

Listen, i'm all about banging the drum for new attractions, new experiences. It's needed. I've been at WDW for about 5 days and the only park i've really been tempted to go to that much is MK. Everything else is just so stale right now. We've spent a ton of time doing the recreational stuff around the hotels and at DTD and have had a great time nonetheless.

The reason i'm still fine spending the money isn't even about the parks and what they offer. It's about friends and family and who I go with. I live only about an hour and a half away and end up coming a decent amount with those mentioned and I appreciate that time spent enough that i'm totally fine forking over the money, especially considering how often our passes get used.

And no, I do not expect nor want any cuddles from anyone while I am at Disney.

alissafalco

I have no real problem paying for an AP at around the $409 price, but there's also not that much more room for an increase before I start to see the value go down.
The Florida resident seasonal AP renewal is $286.49. I think that's the best deal. There are black out dates but only during the crazy times. If you can avoid the school breaks/holidays then that's the way to go.

John

Hoping I do this right.
@WDW1974, my I ask if you're a reporter or writer of some kind? I see lots of little professional touches to your posts and was just curious. When I joined this web page I got a nice little message from a young lady who said you and one other poster here were must reads and while I don't agree with all you write, you certainly are entertaining. Thank you.

You are correct....he is a good read. But you shouldn't tell him this stuff. We have to deal with him...;)

the.dreamfinder

It appears Michael Eisner didn't make the cut on this
http://deadline.com/2014/03/disneys...down-with-last-minute-board-guideline-change/
The change appears to have appeased shareholders who are still seething over Disney’s decision to make Bob Iger both CEO and Chairman — and scratches a potentially embarrassing vote today over a proposal that could have made the process of selecting board members slightly more democratic. The company says in an SEC filing this morning that it agreed to change its Corporate Governance Guidelines so that, in the future, the chairman will be an independent director unless the group decides it would be best to give one person both jobs. If it does, then directors have to justify it in writing every year and designate an independent board member to be the Lead Director. In return for the change, the California State Teachers Retirement System (CalSTRS) and others withdrew a proposal that would have required Disney to list in its proxy candidates for as many as a fifth of the board seats nominated by firms that own 3% or more of the shares for at least three years. Vanguard Group, State Street Global Advisors, BlackRock, MFS Investment Management, and the Laurene Powell Jobs Trust (which controls the shares formerly owned by Steve Jobs) are the only shareholders that would have qualified. Advisory firms Institutional Shareholder Services and Glass Lewis, and several major pension funds, supported the resolution similar to one endorsed last year by owners of about 40% of Disney’s shares.

Supporters said that the change would “enhance [Disney's] accountability to shareholders.” Many believe that the concentrated power in a single CEO-Chairman has made it easier for the board to approve outsized compensation for top execs: Iger made $34.3M last year and $40.2M the year before. Disney urged a “no” vote saying that the board already serves investors’ long term interests and a change would lead to “disruption, expense, distraction, politicization of director elections.”

fosse76

There's a huge difference between a ride being thrilling and just uncomfortable (or rough). Expedition Everest is well above Space Mountain in thrills for example, but is far newer and with a much smoother ride (and i've heard tell they've made Space Mountain even less thrilling recently with more brakes because of the stress it's putting on the track, and because they didn't refurb it properly back in '09). Many now aging coasters need track replacements to keep them smooth. Space Mountain at Disneyland Paris (which I hear is rather similar to R&RC) was said a few years ago to have become too uncomfortable to ride anymore by some people. Dunno if they fixed that, but it's not about people getting older or being too thrilling. I'm pretty young (25) and like a fun thrill to some extent, but I don't like getting off a ride with bruises and an annoying headache I didn't start out with caused by the track (or vehicles) deteriorating with age.
You want uncomfortable? Try riding GhostRider at Knott's Berry Farm. I can ride almost any ride out there. But GhostRider makes the Matterhorn feel as smooth as butter in comparison. I went to the park when there were literally no lines. They were only running one train on everything because even many of those only had one or two guests. I refused to ride again (something I would never do). It's the most painful experience on a coaster I'ver had.

Goofyernmost

Wait wait wait...you can get the actual race medal just by paying?

Is that new? I ran the wine and dine half in 2012 and they gave you a medal after you crossed the finish line. You get plenty of stuff before the race and get into the Epcot after party just for signing up, but it would be kinda sad to get the finisher's medal if you didn't finish.
No, you also have to at least partially participate. It's not exactly a medal, it's a soft rubber thing that looks like a refrigerator magnet with a thyroid condition. I know that to the highly competitive it seems wrong to give those things out, but Disney is not the Boston Marathon, it has many more uses. I have a sister that had about 8 months previous undergone the (don't remember what it is called), for lack of a better description the stomach stapling procedure and during the remaining time had lost nearly 100 pounds. She entered the 5K. Previous to that she was having trouble walking 500 feet. It was a major incentive for her to lose weight and start the long process of feeling good about herself. That is what Disney provides. If you must be super competitive then run the Boston or other Marathons and skip the Disney one. The rewards are completely different and serve a much wider purpose then an individual trophy.

If you could have seen her face and how proudly she displayed the faux medal. It represented a break through from years of self loathing. It represented months of hard work, determination and overcoming emotional obstacles to WIN that badge of honor. It meant more to her than any medal for 1st place that anyone could have ever received.

Moral of the story... there are real people out there that have overcome many things to get what the "better then thou" crowd considers a freebee. I have more respect for them and their efforts then I will ever have for the super athlete born with ability and therefore achieves at a higher level.

If one wants to take themselves seriously and go to a place where only 1st, 2nd or 3rd, measures accomplishment then don't, I repeat don't go to a place called Disney and expect that to be the case. There are many other places where you can accomplish that. Where do these other people get to go?

BTW, since I've had this problem before I would like to point out that even though I used your post to quote, I am not necessarily addressing you specifically. You is used in the general sense and not directed.

Soarin' Over Pgh

I have a sister that had about 8 months previous undergone the (don't remember what it is called), for lack of a better description the stomach stapling procedure and during the remaining time had lost nearly 100 pounds. She entered the 5K. Previous to that she was having trouble walking 500 feet. It was a major incentive for her to lose weight and start the long process of feeling good about herself. That is what Disney provides. If you must be super competitive then run the Boston or other Marathons and skip the Disney one. The rewards are completely different and serve a much wider purpose then an individual trophy.

If you could have seen her face and how proudly she displayed the faux medal. It represented a break through from years of self loathing. It represented months of hard work, determination and overcoming emotional obstacles to WIN that badge of honor. It meant more to her than any medal for 1st place that anyone could have ever received.

Moral of the story... there are real people out there that have overcome many things to get what the "better then thou" crowd considers a freebee. I have more respect for them and their efforts then I will ever have for the super athlete born with ability and therefore achieves at a higher level.

I wish people would understand this when they call the runners/walkers all sorts of degrading terms (fatties, blubbers, whales, cows, obese, etc) and realize that everyone is different and those people also have goals and feelings.

No need to make this into yet another obese Disney fan thread, we've had enough of them. Just wanted to comment on your (well done) post regarding this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom