The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
At this point I'd be happy to see Star Wars land in time for the 50th Anniversary. Of course, I'm not sure what guests are supposed to do in the Studios between now and then. Give me a FP+ on TSM, ToT, and ST, and I'm done before lunch.

I don't know what people have been doing there the last decade. There were periods when even with my AP where I wouldn't visit more than once (one day) in a year.

I used to go to dine at Brown Derby and ride ToT and RnRC.

Now, I won't pay Brown Derby prices or make arrangements six months out ... RnRC is getting too damn rough. I do like the new Star Tours too. But there just isn't much at that park at all.

I don't call it a half day park. More like a two-three hours at most park.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Nope, we've never met, we just share a level headed love of DLR.

The DHS parking lot rumors were swirling big time a little while back when Cars Land was a for sure ready to build thing. At this point, I don't believe TDO will approve anything that costly. Unless it directly affects short term revenue, it won't be addressed.

Those were largely fanboi-rumours. I never got any proof that there was absolutely anything to it.

I think @Lee made it up ... maybe @marni1971 or that dude Tim that disappeared a while back after playing 'insider' here for what? 14 months?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yes, those are horrible magnitudes. Seismologists keep saying "The Big One" will hit California, soon, like we've never had a big one before.:rolleyes:

4.4 isn't big ... but many folks out there forget that California is earthquake territory ... I've never been in one out there and I lived there part time from 2001-08.

I was in a 6.9 in Tokyo ... at TDS ... but I missed the whole thing. Thought it was just the effects from JTTCoTE ... REALLY!!!

That should tell you how well they do things in Japan!

WDW1974

Original Poster
I admit parking is an issue for DHS.

The last I heard about why Star Wars Land isn't happening yet though isn't caused by parking based on WDW1974 mentioned in the past.

I think its going to a while before any of the rumors you mention are going to happen in terms of construction though. There is budget issues with WDW right now and going to be for a long time at this point because of the cost of Mymagic Plus is increasing. That is going to be the hang up fixing the parking problem for DHS.

I have no idea on what the cost Disney Springs is going to end up besides the construction with Avatar. Hopefully there would be some budget space for DHS after Disney Spring Springs and Avatar is done.

Star Wars absolutely has NOTHING to deal with any parking issues at the Studios.

It isn't happening yet because Iger wants to shove the new Disney films IP into the area AND, and more importantly, WDW spending has been severely cut to make up for MM+ rollout issues.

Those are facts. The real story. No BS. No spin.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And how many people are saying 'that's crazy ... why are they paying so much?''

That is one messed up thread that I want no part of.

For the record that's for a Bus Driver who needs a Federal commercial drivers license, The Lynx drivers start at 3 dollars an hour more and have a higher top end. Surprisingly TDO is having problems finding bus drivers...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wine and Dine sells out in 1 day. Glass Slipper in 3 hours. Dumbo in 1 hour.

There is a severe discrepancy in supply and demand.

When I ran my first RunDisney event in 2009, the Half was $79. Wine and Dine was $189.

Those Goofy shoes sell easily. Buzz or Mr. Incredible next?

The average RunDisney guest spends significantly more than the average guest.

Well, the problem is we have many 400-pounders who can barely walk, paying Disney just so they can get the bling.

That just makes me sick as someone who used to run competitively (really! ancient times!) and who has many friends who regularly run and COMPLETE the Disney races. Sorry, but you want the race medal? You gotta finish the race or you should get some small pin or a certificate of competing.

I think we already had this discussion and it turned nasty, but I don't care. I'm right.

ParentsOf4

That is just an amazing figure there.

Even if you think WDW is better than UNI (it isn't ... not now ... but opinions ...) does anyone really think it is 81% better? Anyone want to make that argument?
The truly sad part is that Uni's strategy is to invest heavily in its theme parks in order to provide guests with some impressive additions over the next few years, and do it for significantly less than what WDW charges for a multiday ticket.

WDW's strategy is to provide guests with rubber bands, move its Frozen meet-and-greet so more can stand in line, change the layout of the central hub so more can cram into it to see fireworks, add a parade in which the centerpiece already is non-functional, and charge a family of 4 many hundreds of dollars more for the "privilege" of doing it, all because anything with Mouse Ears slapped on it is somehow "magical".

I guess a sucker is born every minute.

I thought P.T. Barnum was dead. Instead, it looks like he's alive and well running WDW's theme parks. :banghead:

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Sunday night is getting a bit crowded now, don't the networks know you can put programs on at anytime. Some network should make appointment viewing television on Friday night and sell the DVR aspect.

Friday was once a great night for TV. When I was a kid we'd watch Dukes of Hazzard (hey, I was a kid too!) and then Dallas. ... ABC then did the TGIF thing in the 90s and was quite successful. FOX started X-Files on Fridays and I remember having parties with friends to watch that and then Picket Fences (great, great show ) on CBS.

Now, after years of ignoring Fridays, the networks are starting to really program it seriously again.

Naturally, CBS is doing the best with Hawaii Five-O and Blue Bloods. The first is worth watching for all the scenery ... the second I've never seen.

I'd like to say I am never home on Friday nights, but I'd also like to say that I have a few billion in off-shore accounts.

ParentsOf4

I've never met a human being who couldn't be bought ... or at least influenced.
There are plenty of honest, hard-working folk who cannot be bought or influenced, who remain true to their own convictions.

And that's why they almost never climb the corporate or political career ladder.

It's nearly impossible to get above a certain level without compromising ones own principles or simply not having any.

RSoxNo1

Nostalgia and memories are a huge part of Disney's entire marketing scheme.

I just don't get how a fanboi old enough to experience and love Horizons or WoM or Dreamfinder would ever give the company that destroyed those beloved fixtures (and replaced them with crappier experiences) money for RETRO merchandise based on these favorites, yet that keeps happening.

And there was a virtual online orgasm over Scary Steven's blog post about all that RETRO merchandise Disney will be selling this summer to go up against Diagon Alley's debut.
I didn't even think of that, but think it's a great move. I'm very intrigued by the offerings at the Marketplace Co Op, it sounds like it's the type of merchandise that Disney fans have been asking for. Hopefully it's a far cry from the homogenized crap available in every store.

To your point about spending money on nostalgia, I see no problem with it whatsoever. These are things that I (and others) liked, and if I had a Horizons shirt from the 80s or 90s that fit me (good luck with that) I'd be wearing that.

djlaosc

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yep.
We cooked that one up during one of our bi-annual rumor-manufacturing meetings.
You weren't there. Try to make it to the next one so you can keep up.

;)

And agreed about Melissa McBride. She deserves a raise after last night.:jawdrop:

I think you guys keep forgetting to send me an invite. You know I'd love to get together and do that ... our next made up story should be Small World moving to EPCOT, so that building can be a Frozen ride. You wanna do that one? Or how about a DVC taking the place of the TTC? Or Disney moving to a model where certain days a week only on-site resort guests will be able to enter the MK? ... You wanna suggest one or two ... @Lee? How about you @marni1971 ?

And yes, last night she was amazing. Should have seen that coming ... I sorta knew something bad was going to go down ... but crazy Lizzie and what followed was not what I saw. Good writing. And some amazing acting.

Oh, and thought Resurrection was still strong in its second outing. ... And I also enjoyed the opening episode of NBC's Crisis, but like many shows, it doesn't look like it can last more than 2-3 seasons. Nice to see Dana Sc... I mean Gillian again!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom