The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Dude, I read almost everything in "WDW Rumors", hoping to learn something of import.

Dude, you don't know me well enough to call me 'dude' ... show some respect.

I'm willing to talk to you when I firmly believe you don't have a firm grasp on reality over your love of a character that Walt didn't even care about. Go visit the Walt Disney Family Museum and see what Oswald's creator thought. Seriously. He is only beloved by fanbois who just don't get it.

That's the only reason I'm willing to plod through all your long-winded off-topic petulant Andy Rooney impressions in hopes you'll say something interesting.

Hey, no one forces you to. While I am sure Steve appreciate the traffic, I don't want anyone reading here who feels they have to plod through anything.

Of course, this isn't the type of thread where everything gets spelled out for you. Maybe you need threads like that?

Oh, and I met Andy Rooney a few years ago at a Super Bowl. He was crotchety ... I liked him. He died soon after.

And FWIW, if Disney wants to blend two of their unnecessary acquisitions and go all "Island of Dr. Moreau" on them, that's fine and dandy with me. The way I see it, since they fell so far out of fashion that they had to sell their souls to Disney, it's exactly what they deserve.

What if Walt's ghost comes back in your sleep tonight and says ''I love that green frog, and that group of talking toys really tugs at my heartstrings and that Darth Vader guy is one great baddie and son, you really need to stop sleeping with children's stuffed Mickeys and get a girlfriend?' ... Will you believe Ghost Walt that maybe you just might not be right here?

But it sucks that the dragon's already broken. :{

We don't know whether it is broken at all ... it could just be something designed to be off except when Celebration Place and TDO needs it on.

JimboJones123

Not even joking when I say I'm surprised this hasn't become a thing yet.
Wine and Dine sells out in 1 day. Glass Slipper in 3 hours. Dumbo in 1 hour.

There is a severe discrepancy in supply and demand.

When I ran my first RunDisney event in 2009, the Half was $79. Wine and Dine was $189.

Those Goofy shoes sell easily. Buzz or Mr. Incredible next?

The average RunDisney guest spends significantly more than the average guest.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I agree with your analysis but note that it's a matter of affordability.

If all I can afford for my family is a 4-day Universal hopper ticket at $196, then that's what I'm going to buy even if it means revisiting the same theme parks more than once.

It doesn't matter if WDW's 4-day ticket offers 4 theme parks if I cannot afford its $354 pre-tax price tag. Multiply that times a family of 4, throw in sales tax, and 4 days at WDW is $673 (81%) more expensive than 4 days at Uni.

That is just an amazing figure there.

Even if you think WDW is better than UNI (it isn't ... not now ... but opinions ...) does anyone really think it is 81% better? Anyone want to make that argument?

71jason

OK, we are smack dab in the middle of spring break for colleges in the USA and spring training for MLB teams in Florida ... and ... any breathless reports of three hour waits for attractions?

Waited in an hour-long line to park at Universal Saturday evening. And saw a huge, unshaded line waiting to see some has-been I've never heard of in EPCOT Sunday.

My take-away was old people like free concerts.

Speaking of EPCOT, despite some truly novel options, the only F&G booth with a line was Italy. If this was Food & Wine, every booth would be at least a 30-minute wait. There was also a huge line to pay $15 for a pre-mixed margarita at La Cava. Behold the power of branding and Disney memes.

RSoxNo1

Wild rumor I heard....

DHS expansion into the parking lot?
New parking built across World Drive?
New park entrance built into the backlot?
Bridge with walkways and shuttles being built over World Drive to bring people to new entrance?
Parking Lot expansion Star Wars Land?

I know there are some major parking concerns at DHS, especially during the holidays. We saw it for sure during the Villains party.

Maybe one of the big hesitations with adding Carsland, SW, Pixar Place, ect. is that there simply isn't enough parking spaces if attendance bumps 10-25%?
I would think that addressing the DHS parking concerns would be done in concert with any expansion. In theory building a parking garage or larger lot shouldn't take as long as expanding the park.

JimboJones123

That is just an amazing figure there.

Even if you think WDW is better than UNI (it isn't ... not now ... but opinions ...) does anyone really think it is 81% better? Anyone want to make that argument?
Plus, the Universal resort area is fantastic in its much more compact nature. There are no 45 minute bus rides each way for dinner. A movie ttheater is right there. It is so easy to get to the parks.

Sounds like a dream escape where the theme parks are almost a secondary experience.

WDW1974

Original Poster
You may get a "new" third park with Disney but at this point there is almost more to do in Universal's two parks compared to DHS, EPCOT off-Center and DAK combined. If not now...then soon. Also...as DIsney sells "magical memories" and nostalgia are you really getting a "new" park to visit? Sorry...I do not and can not see the justification of the price difference.

Nostalgia and memories are a huge part of Disney's entire marketing scheme.

I just don't get how a fanboi old enough to experience and love Horizons or WoM or Dreamfinder would ever give the company that destroyed those beloved fixtures (and replaced them with crappier experiences) money for RETRO merchandise based on these favorites, yet that keeps happening.

And there was a virtual online orgasm over Scary Steven's blog post about all that RETRO merchandise Disney will be selling this summer to go up against Diagon Alley's debut.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Interestingly, here in England the advert I've seen most this year is of a middle-aged guy lamenting the fact that his daughter is a teen and only interested in boys and her mobile...until he takes her back to WDW. Then she is his little girl again...

Now I'm not sure if the advert was produced in response to more families with older kids/teens choosing Uni, skipping FL altogether...

But I don't watch a lot of commercial telly (Go, BBC 4!) and it feels like I've seen that ad 5,000 times...so they must run it a lot. Proactively or reactively, I don't know.

Any advertising in the UK for DLP? Either print or broadcast or bus/subway station etc?

What about for DCL?

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a note, but I have decided to sorta skip a dozen or so pages. So if I ignore you, don't take it personally. Just don't have as much time now that I am healthy again and this thread has been very active in the last four days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom