The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

lebeau

Could be. But this store is typically very well staffed and well maintained. There are no empty shelves anywhere else. The store itself was rebuilt and designed specifically for Target and has only been open for about 5 months. The rest of the toy section was well stocked, if not over stocked (Monster High, Littlest Pet Shop, and in the boys section, Star Wars Legos dominated half an aisle) in some areas.

Maybe it's the demographics. The first Target is located in an upper class area. But it's also attached to a mall with a dedicated Disney Store. There's also a TRU nearby (I didn't venture into it because I rage in the parking lot with all the baby strollers and parents letting their kids run wild through the lot). The Disney Store didn't have a piece of Frozen merchandise, either.

The second Target was a stand alone store in a middle class neighborhood, with no other toy stores or outlets nearby.

Not entirely sure what that says about either store.

I actually took the girls out shopping yesterday. We were tripping over Frozen stuff at several locations. Later, I went grocery shopping. Our grocery store had nearly an entire aisle stocked with new Frozen toys. It looked like they had just unloaded the truck.

My neck of the woods may be over-stocked and yours under-stocked. It's always hard to say based on your own personal experience.

Way back in the day, I did a bit of toy collecting. I was always amazed what a huge difference it made when I drove an hour north. It was a completely different shopping experience.

the.dreamfinder

Nope, we've never met, we just share a level headed love of DLR.

The DHS parking lot rumors were swirling big time a little while back when Cars Land was a for sure ready to build thing. At this point, I don't believe TDO will approve anything that costly. Unless it directly affects short term revenue, it won't be addressed.
Maybe they'll roll it into NextGen's budget?

Californian Elitist

I don't know - I'm on like the 10th floor, so maybe that's why? Is there a law of diminishing returns with quakes the higher up you are? Made for great entertainment on the morning news though.

Haha, the male newscaster! His face was priceless. I'm on the third floor of my dorm... It's possible your placement on the tenth floor had something to do with you not feeling it. Or you just slept through it. It was really loud and I could hear things in my room rattling.

Okay, back on topic now.:D

Soarin' Over Pgh

Haha, the male newscaster! His face was priceless. I'm on the third floor of my dorm... It's possible your placement on the tenth floor had something to do with you not feeling it. Or you just slept through it. It was really loud and I could hear things in my room rattling.

Okay, back on topic now.:D

If that happened here (PA) it would be allllll over the news. Every building would have evacuated, everyone would be clogging phone lines and Tweeting their experiences.

It did happen a few years ago. True story, people RAN out of my building and were standing in the streets.

Californian Elitist

If that happened here (PA) it would be allllll over the news. Every building would have evacuated, everyone would be clogging phone lines and Tweeting their experiences.

It did happen a few years ago. True story, people RAN out of my building and were standing in the streets.

Lots of funny tweets and Facebook posts popped up right after the earthquake hit.

Yeah, you're not supposed to run out, you're supposed to get under a desk or a table. Earthquakes rarely or never hit east, which explains why people ran out.

WildcatDen

Seismologists keep telling us a big one is on the way, as if California's never experienced a big earthquake. Granted, the last major one in LA County was twenty years ago, but we've definitely experienced them.
Thanks for steering us back to the real meaning behind your quote. Doesn't stop me from hoping you have adequate protection if you ever get suprised by a big one. . .

doctornick

Wild rumor I heard....

DHS expansion into the parking lot?
New parking built across World Drive?
New park entrance built into the backlot?
Bridge with walkways and shuttles being built over World Drive to bring people to new entrance?
Parking Lot expansion Star Wars Land?

I know there are some major parking concerns at DHS, especially during the holidays. We saw it for sure during the Villains party.

Maybe one of the big hesitations with adding Carsland, SW, Pixar Place, ect. is that there simply isn't enough parking spaces if attendance bumps 10-25%?

Don't buy it because it would be just a massive investment and very difficult to boot -- having to change the entire entranceway to the other side of the park would completely change the entire flow of the park (which already needs help).

However, I do see a possibility of more parking on the other side of World Drive, specifically moving CM parking over there -- with either shuttles taking them over World Drive or building an overpass for them to walk in. Since they are workers, having them take an overpass and enter backstage would not be an issue at all unlike if it were guest parking on that side. Would not require changing the guest entrance of DHS.

Then the current CM parking could certainly be used for a SW expansion, as it is located right next to that section of the park. This could also be done in concert with using a new access road/toll booth for parking as has been discussed in the past (I think coming off Victory Lane?).

In this scenario, if they build enough CM parking on the other side of World Drive (even potentially a parking deck there), they could use it for overflow for guests if the regular DHS parking is taken. Though that would require shuttles to the entrance.

doctornick

At this point I'd be happy to see Star Wars land in time for the 50th Anniversary. Of course, I'm not sure what guests are supposed to do in the Studios between now and then. Give me a FP+ on TSM, ToT, and ST, and I'm done before lunch.

Adding a new ride to Soundstage 1 (like the Monsters Inc door coaster...) is an obvious thing to do for TDO. So, of course, there seems to be no plan for it to happen.

Also, replacing VOTLM and/or BatB would be reasonable given the presense of those franchises elsewhere in the World -- like using Tangled, PatF or y'know that Frozen movie as a theme.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Does anyone know, at any given point, how many transportation busses (guests and cast member) are running at WDW during the day?

Are the bus drivers contracted through Disney or Meyers (I think that's the Florida group, correct me if I'm wrong) or another company entirely?

... @ParentsOf4 ?

wogwog

Does anyone know, at any given point, how many transportation busses (guests and cast member) are running at WDW during the day?

Are the bus drivers contracted through Disney or Meyers (I think that's the Florida group, correct me if I'm wrong) or another company entirely?

... @ParentsOf4 ?
You are thinking of Mears. They contract only Magical Express. On property bus system are WDW employees. Last numbers I heard a year or so back was a little over 1100 bus drivers including FT PT and seasonal. Think they have a fleet of a bit north of 300. But these numbers could be more or less now. I do know WDW has issues keeping a full roster of drivers.

Last edited:

Cesar R M

Don't buy it because it would be just a massive investment and very difficult to boot -- having to change the entire entranceway to the other side of the park would completely change the entire flow of the park (which already needs help).

However, I do see a possibility of more parking on the other side of World Drive, specifically moving CM parking over there -- with either shuttles taking them over World Drive or building an overpass for them to walk in. Since they are workers, having them take an overpass and enter backstage would not be an issue at all unlike if it were guest parking on that side. Would not require changing the guest entrance of DHS.

Then the current CM parking could certainly be used for a SW expansion, as it is located right next to that section of the park. This could also be done in concert with using a new access road/toll booth for parking as has been discussed in the past (I think coming off Victory Lane?).

In this scenario, if they build enough CM parking on the other side of World Drive (even potentially a parking deck there), they could use it for overflow for guests if the regular DHS parking is taken. Though that would require shuttles to the entrance.

why they wont build double decker or triple decker parking lots? shadow for the guys below and if they need expansion they could retrofit these big parking buildings to other stuff ;)

PhotoDave219

Wild rumor I heard....

DHS expansion into the parking lot?
New parking built across World Drive?
New park entrance built into the backlot?
Bridge with walkways and shuttles being built over World Drive to bring people to new entrance?
Parking Lot expansion Star Wars Land?

I know there are some major parking concerns at DHS, especially during the holidays. We saw it for sure during the Villains party.

Maybe one of the big hesitations with adding Carsland, SW, Pixar Place, ect. is that there simply isn't enough parking spaces if attendance bumps 10-25%?

I am not discounting your rumor… It's not the first time I've heard this.

I am not sure what all the utility construction along victory way is for. Some of the speculation involves relocation of the Disney Hollywood studios traffic flow to an entrance on victory way.

My overall feeling with the studios and any potential construction or makeovers, I would not expect anything personally before 2017 at the earliest.

Soarin' Over Pgh

You are thinking of Mears. They contract only Magical Express. On property bus system are WDW employees. Last numbers I heard a year or so back was a little over 1100 bus drivers including FT PT and seasonal. Think they have a fleet of a bit north of 400. But these numbers could be more now. I do know WDW has issues keeping a full roster of drivers.

Thanks! I had a fleeting thought of if it would be more cost efficient to have an alternate transportation system (resort wide peoplemover?) than the busses + bus drivers- I'm assuming they're hourly, not salaried? Regardless... I'm still contemplating that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom