The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
See, I also strongly dislike Mater. Well, I strongly dislike most aspects of Cars in all honesty. But Mater was (mostly) used as the comic relief for cheap laughs. Maybe Olaf's sense of humor was more my type, but from everyone I've talked to about it, they seem to be in love with Olaf. A lot more so than anyone was with Mater.

I enjoyed Mater. Olaf is like your aunt's Chihuahua that doesn't shut up and never tries to top mounting your leg.

Had I not seen Frozen for free on a cruise and been one of those who paid to see it, I would be ed. The movie was a large let down.

JimboJones123

MerlinTheGoAn akin st: 5991601 said:
Good to know that you're willing to dismiss and argument instead of presenting your own, but not really when you delve deeper. He's an interesting and great villain for a great many reasons. He doesn't even start out as a straight up villain in the traditional sense, more just an arrogant jerk that subscribes to the same narrow minded views as the rest of society around him. The villagers feed and enable his behavior and are arguably just as stupid and potentially evil as he is as seen when he manages to instigate a mob to go kill the beast (it's not actually an unrealistic look at how many real people act when presented with political propaganda to invade a country). It's interesting because in another Disney movie (though less embellished), he could for all we know pass for the male prince we usually see (who are rarely given any development and could be just as bad as Gaston behind their facades). He's always a complete arrogant jerk but it does take him time to transform completely into an obsessed psychotic lunatic. He goes from bad to far worse, but it's development nonetheless. We do see him change as a character beyond a cheap twist shoehorned in to shock people who couldn't see it coming a mile away. Frollo has a similar character arc of going from bad seed who thinks he's doing right to complete psycho willing to kill everyone to get something (and that something he wants adds even more dynamics to his character due to the way it erodes his sanity from being a sin against his beliefs).

In the beginning, you could argue that the Beast is the real villain. The backstory makes it quite clear that he is very similar in nature to Gaston- inwardly selfish and non caring towards people around him. The difference is that unlike Gaston (who is held in high regard basically as the leader by the rest of the village due to his physical appearance and strength) he was cursed to have a face that matched his personality. And unlike Gaston, Belle manages to change him for the better.

Just seemed like a less shocking and blander written version of the Stinky Pete twist to me. And unlike Pete, I saw it coming from a mile away. I was wishing they didn't even bother with a villain because I didn't feel it even needed one by that point. It just felt shoehorned in at the last second just for the sake of adding someone who was evil. Underneath he really is nothing more than a cookie cutter villain that hides in the shadows waiting to pop up to say "haha and I was the villain all along".
Oh I get it. He's Anakin Skywalker.

I didn't buy it.

And I still think Frozen's lack of a true villain was better storytelling.

Sorry I don't want to agree with you.

That upset you, bro?

JimboJones123

[QUOTforSoarin' Over Pgh, post: 5991639, member: 86399"]Yep, this. It's very refreshing to e a g girl turned kinda villain but not really because you like her and are rooting for her at the same time. It's a very well defined dynamic and was played out very well.

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS, DO NOT READ THE REST IF YOU HAVENT SEEN THE MOVIE. :)

The thing with Hans was a real gasp moment that no one saw coming...it was very effective at what it was striving to do. In that case, he was a good guy turned bad but you really liked him up to that point.

Olaf added a comical layer to the movie and Sven the reindeer helped with that.

But most of all I liked the message of the movie. True love doesn't have to be your first boyfriend or the man you'll marry. True love is family. There's no love quite like the bond between two sisters close in age. That bond strengthened at the coronation, and shown through beautifully. The bond beamed at the end if the film as well. That right there, my forum friends, is a great message to be had. Especially in our times now, where life is what it is and for a lot of people, there's not much hope left. This movie gives you hope. It's incredibly uplifting.

The hit song says it all. Let it go. The anger, the nonconformity, the judgemental views that others have. Screw it. Let it go. I love that.[/QUOTE]
Yes!
I can see how a Disney song whose theme is "Eff it and Eff them" might turn some people off. But it has clearly been an inspiration for others.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Speaking of the Hawaiian shirt with Olaf motif, I wish Disney would make in adult sizes the children's t-shirt that depicts Olaf and says "I like warm hugs". Would have loved to buy it in a large size to wear as a night shirt this winter. Oh well, thanks Disney Marketing for being too stupid to get more of my money.

Yep, for sure. They're leaving a lot of money on the table by not making more adult shirts with the characters... besides Mickey, Pluto, etc. which is about all I seem to find. Granted, there was *one* Elsa and *one* Anna shirt in adult sizes a few months ago (LOL. Havent seen them since) at the Disney Store (physical store not online) but I didn't care for the designs as the characters were placed on the side of the shirt. And the characters name fell right on... well, on a place that most women don't want to draw more attention to.

Dateline Disneyland is reporting this weekend that shops in Disneyland and DCA and Downtown Disney Anaheim all have Frozen dresses and merchandise available in advance of the DVD release. These photos were taken this weekend...
DSC_9636-M.jpg

DSC_9644-M.jpg

DSC_9611-S.jpg
DSC_9615-S.jpg

So maybe Disney's merchandise team are purposely moving the product to the parks and abandoning the big box stores around the country? There's obviously a run on the merchandise, so Disney would be wise to have the stuff available in the theme parks in Anaheim and Orlando where the profit margins are much higher than the stuff being sold at a Target in Ohio.

But I agree that Disney's merchandise team really missed the boat on Frozen and how popular it turned out to be. Even the theme parks were caught flat footed in getting the meet n' greets firing on all cylinders and moving the Frozen princesses into the higher capacity Fairytale Hall facilities in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Park. And they needed a much bigger theme park presence than they got, aside from the predictable meet n' greets.

A BIG miss on the Frozen craze from the synergy experts in Burbank.

HUGE miss. Incredibly huge miss!

And GAH that's the Animators doll I've been hunting for. Makes me sick to see it only at Disneyland. Of course I could spend double the price to get it off of Amazon or Ebay but there's not a chance I'm going to do that.

Someone really dropped the ball with the merchandise for this movie.

JimboJones123

Wild rumor I heard....

DHS expansion into the parking lot?
New parking built across World Drive?
New park entrance built into the backlot?
Bridge with walkways and shuttles being built over World Drive to bring people to new entrance?
Parking Lot expansion Star Wars Land?

I know there are some major parking concerns at DHS, especially during the holidays. We saw it for sure during the Villains party.

Maybe one of the big hesitations with adding Carsland, SW, Pixar Place, ect. is that there simply isn't enough parking spaces if attendance bumps 10-25%?

Soarin' Over Pgh

As much as I'd love to jump on board with that, @JimboJones123 I have a "will believe it when I see it" attitude towards DHS.

They need to do something with that park. All of the above would be fantastic. Feasible? Probably not. Does it need it? Absolutely.

Star Wars addition alone would bump attendance and bring in some serious $$$. Will they do it this decade? I'm not holding my breath.

JimboJones123

As much as I'd love to jump on board with that, @JimboJones123 I have a "will believe it when I see it" attitude towards DHS.

They need to do something with that park. All of the above would be fantastic. Feasible? Probably not. Does it need it? Absolutely.

Star Wars addition alone would bump attendance and bring in some serious $$$. Will they do it this decade? I'm not holding my breath.
It sounds like a huge feat for sure.

Parking at a distance isn't a new thing for Disney parks. MK of course, but even the Disneyland garages makes it so guests have a 45 minute delay from paying for parking to entering the front gate.

danv3

At this point I'd be happy to see Star Wars land in time for the 50th Anniversary. Of course, I'm not sure what guests are supposed to do in the Studios between now and then. Give me a FP+ on TSM, ToT, and ST, and I'm done before lunch.

JimboJones123

At this point I'd be happy to see Star Wars land in time for the 50th Anniversary. Of course, I'm not sure what guests are supposed to do in the Studios between now and then. Give me a FP+ on TSM, ToT, and ST, and I'm done before lunch.
I can only watch the same shows over and over and over again so many times.

The only other must do for us is the Drawing Class.

But that little secret has started to get out and you now have to start lining up a full show ahead of time.

They really need to switch the Drawing Class with the always empty Mushu theater. Disneyland's drawing class is in a theater like that and it works out great. They have smaller papers and Lapboards. They also have a scheduled list of characters that they draw, and with the bigger venue, they can hold more guests for the more popular characters.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Dateline Disneyland is reporting this weekend that shops in Disneyland and DCA and Downtown Disney Anaheim all have Frozen dresses and merchandise available in advance of the DVD release. These photos were taken this weekend...
DSC_9636-M.jpg

DSC_9644-M.jpg

DSC_9611-S.jpg
DSC_9615-S.jpg

So maybe Disney's merchandise team are purposely moving the product to the parks and abandoning the big box stores around the country? There's obviously a run on the merchandise, so Disney would be wise to have the stuff available in the theme parks in Anaheim and Orlando where the profit margins are much higher than the stuff being sold at a Target in Ohio.

But I agree that Disney's merchandise team really missed the boat on Frozen and how popular it turned out to be. Even the theme parks were caught flat footed in getting the meet n' greets firing on all cylinders and moving the Frozen princesses into the higher capacity Fairytale Hall facilities in Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Park. And they needed a much bigger theme park presence than they got, aside from the predictable meet n' greets.

A BIG miss on the Frozen craze from the synergy experts in Burbank.

Disney has minimal control of merchandise distribution except guaranteed delivery of contracted items for retail. Companies such as Lego, Hasbro, etc. purchase manufacturing rights, market to retailers who advance order their supplies based on expected demand. It is obvious that virtually every retailer underestimated the demand for Frozen merchandise all around, even the local JC Penny is out of Frozen toys & constumes. It can easily take months for backorders of toys/books/clothing to catch up to demand in cases like this.

GiveMeTheMusic

LOL hasn't it been like this for years, though? You two crack me up. Are you friends offline?

Nope, we've never met, we just share a level headed love of DLR.

The DHS parking lot rumors were swirling big time a little while back when Cars Land was a for sure ready to build thing. At this point, I don't believe TDO will approve anything that costly. Unless it directly affects short term revenue, it won't be addressed.

Soarin' Over Pgh

This says more to me about your Target than anything. Our local toy aisles have no shortage of Frozen toys.

Could be. But this store is typically very well staffed and well maintained. There are no empty shelves anywhere else. The store itself was rebuilt and designed specifically for Target and has only been open for about 5 months. The rest of the toy section was well stocked, if not over stocked (Monster High, Littlest Pet Shop, and in the boys section, Star Wars Legos dominated half an aisle) in some areas.

Maybe it's the demographics. The first Target is located in an upper class area. But it's also attached to a mall with a dedicated Disney Store. There's also a TRU nearby (I didn't venture into it because I rage in the parking lot with all the baby strollers and parents letting their kids run wild through the lot). The Disney Store didn't have a piece of Frozen merchandise, either.

The second Target was a stand alone store in a middle class neighborhood, with no other toy stores or outlets nearby.

Not entirely sure what that says about either store.

Edit to add

Another thought, lebeau. Maybe it's location. I'm in Pittsburgh, PA, where the winter doesn't want to go away. :) Maybe it's wishful thinking or perhaps a good bit of anticipation of the damn winter going away and the city melting into spring that has Frozen sales through the roof here. I'm really not sure. But it's certainly not one or two stores that the Frozen stuff is flying off the shelves from.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom