The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

MerlinTheGoat

Even as someone who has grown on Avatar as a park concept to some extent, all indications from the concept art points towards the same issue plaguing New Fantasyland- all style, little to no substance from a ride perspective (which is what AK needs, it's already a lovely park but it's woefully lacking in great rides). Pandora is inevitably going to end up pretty and I don't think anyone is doubtful of that (Joe Rohde and James Cameron will ensure a visually pleasing experience to walk around in). But that's not going to help much if your actual core rides lack quality and substance, and there's legitimate worry that they're once again going to fail in that regard just as New Fantasyland has. Going by the leaked blueprints (which from the recent concept art and models appears to still be pretty accurate), we're getting a Soarin-like simulator as the headliner attraction described as an "E Ticket". And a secondary boat ride described on the plans as a C-ticket. The only ride I am even interested in is the boat ride (the Soarin ride is likely going to end up with the same issues as the Epcot one, long lines due to poor capacity but with a lacking ride at the end), and my expectations are still tempered for even that one due to the fact that WDI themselves consider it a C-ticket. Something WDI considers a C ticket internally isn't going to be likely to provide a proper Pirates or Mansion quality experience (or something akin to the old EPCOT greats), rather probably more like the lackluster and cheap Little Mermaid ride.

Cars Land was so successful because Lasseter was involved directly and played politics in order to get what he required. He saved the project from being a disappointment due to his influence and power. Rohde very clearly lacks such power, even less so than Tony Baxter i'm sure (this is probably his last really big project before he's forced to resign like Baxter). Despite years of trying, he still hasn't been successful in convincing them to fix the Yeti despite plans existing that would address it without having to close the ride. Cameron is an outsider to the company and also probably doesn't have any political power over the likes of Iger besides the ability to walk away (and from what it sounds like Universal doesn't want Avatar so Disney may have been his only choice). We also know a third ride (the true E ticket- a coaster) was already cut from the plans against his will, so he doesn't seem to have any real control over the budget.

And speaking of the budget- no telling what we'll end up with by the time it's built. Budgets are being slashed or outright eliminated left and right due to the ever rising cost of the nextgen nonsense. I would be extremely surprised if the current Avatar plans somehow avoid getting caught up in that line of fire and comes out intact to what they're currently planning.

And remember when Iger said Avatar was to be completed by 2015? LMAO, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being later than 2017 given that they're still not done with that Dwarf Coaster...

SirLink

Don't agree at all. If you want your employees to over achieve they need to have personal interest in the success of the project. Lying and manipulating workers is not a sustainable way to build that type of personal investment from your employees. It's just a house of cards that always comes crashing down.

Welcome to the Video Game Industry projects built on lies and manipulation.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Welcome to the Video Game Industry projects built on lies and manipulation.

And look at the industry of 'one offs', failed companies, and zero longevity. An Industry where the title lives on, but not the companies that built it.

I wouldn't call it an industry to base any best practices or management philosophies on. Its one of the more volatile ones out there due to the incredible cost to develop titles while relying on fickle buyers.

ParentsOf4

The (relatively) recent glimmer of hope for the parks: Carsland
What's we've seen in the past, both good and bad, is that what happens at DLR does not necessarily translate to what happens at WDW.

Several have suggested that John Lasseter was the creative driving force for Cars Land and the rebirth of DCA. Lasseter had sufficient power within corporate Disney to effect the change he wanted at DLR. It's been suggested that Lasseter cares little about what happens at WDW.

Similarly, J.K. Rowling drove the resurgence at Universal. She didn't care what happened at Universal per se, but when she fell in Universal's lap after being badly mishandled by Disney management, Universal was smart enough to give her pretty much everything she wanted.

Now funded by Comcast's deep pockets, Universal has rediscovered the mantra of theme park expansion.

Universal can be expected to continue this trend as long as their management sees financial results. Once the creative minds at Universal stumble (every organization stumbles from time-to-time) and one of their investments fails to live up to financial expectations, Universal might be at risk of falling back into the same behavior of the current WDW. We'll see.

It's a case of the adage that success has many fathers but failure is an orphan.

It takes an incredibly talented organization to learn the right lessons from its mistakes. Even more so to not let immediate challenges detour it from its long-term goals.

Last edited:

SirLink

And look at the industry of 'one offs', failed companies, and zero longevity. An Industry where the title lives on, but not the companies that built it.

I wouldn't call it an industry to base any best practices or management philosophies on. Its one of the more volatile ones out there due to the incredible cost to develop titles while relying on fickle buyers.

It doesn't cost huge sums that is a fallacy. It is cheaper to produce four game blockbusters and generate a healthy profit and develop a sizable user base for the same cost of WDAS/Pixar production of CGI film.

Funmeister

And remember when Iger said Avatar was to be completed by 2015? LMAO, it wouldn't surprise me if it ends up being later than 2017 given that they're still not done with that Dwarf Coaster...

I have a feeling before it is over with we may be looking at 2018 for the full experience. I think the land will open with the one of the attractions and the second attraction will open nine to twelve months after the initial opening as part of a "phase two." Wait for it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It doesn't cost huge sums that is a fallacy. It is cheaper to produce four game blockbusters and generate a healthy profit and develop a sizable user base for the same cost of WDAS/Pixar production of CGI film.

So you are saying it can be done for 30-50 million dollars.. and that's not a huge sum? And what's the actual net margin per unit sold? Breakeven is at what.. 1 million plus units?

Yeah.. totally sounds like that risk is a fallacy... :rolleyes:

Funmeister

So you are saying it can be done for 30-50 million dollars.. and that's not a huge sum? And what's the actual net margin per unit sold? Breakeven is at what.. 1 million plus units?

Yeah.. totally sounds like that risk is a fallacy... :rolleyes:

Games do not make huge profits. Studios go in and out of business all the time. EA has come close many times of going under? Not because of the cost of paying employees. Not to pay for the hardware or software to make the games. The licensing deal with the NFL has been more of a liability than a profit center.

On the flip side, indie game developers are putting out better games at a fraction of the cost. The problem is the bigger companies buy them up (thinking they will continue the success) only to shut them down a few years later. Healthy profits only come along from the surprise smaller games. There are a few exceptions like subscription based games and some of the big franchises. Call of Duty? Makes some money. Madden? Costs money...almost a loss leader.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Games do not make huge profits. Studios go in and out of business all the time. EA has come close many times of going under? Not because of the cost of paying employees. Not to pay for the hardware or software to make the games. The licensing deal with the NFL has been more of a liability than a profit center.

On the flip side, indie game developers are putting out better games at a fraction of the cost. The problem is the bigger companies buy them up (thinking they will continue the success) only to shut them down a few years later. Healthy profits only come along from the surprise smaller games. There are a few exceptions like subscription based games and some of the big franchises. Call of Duty? Makes some money. Madden? Costs money...almost a loss leader.

Exactly.. and what of that industry is admirable to support the notion that lying to your employees to give them a 'impression' that they make a impact is a good thing? The premise SirLink started with before pulling out the video game industry as some model that is desirable.

Phil12

While true that DCA desperately needed the boost, you're incorrect about DCA not matching WDW park guest numbers. DCA is on track to exceed at least DHS in attendance, if not DAK as well. We still haven't seen 2013's numbers, which would be the first full year since the expansion completed, and there will be significant growth over 2012. Wouldn't be surprising at all to see DCA break 10 million (while DL declines somewhat).
I hope you're right. It would be terrific if DCA is finally able to help reduce the overcrowding at DL. It would be an improvement for both parks IMO. :happy:

The Carsland benefit for Walt Disney World is not necessarily a boost in attendance, but rather preventing a loss of guests to off-property destinations up I-4.
I think the guest experience at all of the WDW parks would be vastly improved if they had some reduction in attendance. The parks are bursting at the seams now. There doesn't seem to be any off-season any longer. I'm all for Universal taking some of the heavy load off of WDW. :joyfull:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks, I think I get it now! :)

But please, no more, it's still winter the longest and coldest winter I can remember here (windchill down to single digits tomorrow night). :eek:

I snuck out to the beach this afternoon and leered at Spring Breakers (as well as everyone else in a bathing suit) ... I have to say this isn't exactly the Best Bods locale.

As to the horrible weather, well, that's just part of the great myth of global climate change! It isn't really that cold or unusual!!! (yes, sarcasm for the sacrcastically challenged)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Obviously, Universal has accepted that WDW is the big player in Orlando. They have a big fight on their hands but appear to have embraced it. By their actions they appear to be attacking WDW as being out of date and out of touch with their core audience. This will work in their favor to Disney’s detriment.

My take is that UNI is not really doing more than paying cursory attention to Disney ... literally, just the bare minimum one must do when dealing with a competitor.

They are so sure that what they are doing is the right way, that they sorta sit back bemused at MAGIC bands and entertainment cuts and project delays and just keep doing their own thing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
The whole Pan arc ran its course and needed to move on. The new direction looks promising. It has my full attention.

Yes, I agree. ...

I know we are at odds on SHEILD but DA*N it has picked up some pace and made me glad I have hung in there. Questions building, drama mounting, and the action is certainly there.

No interest whatsoever. It started weak and got worse. And I am no Marvel fanboi.

But I'd rather watch something more highbrow in concept like Resurrection, which showed lots of promise and actually was No. 6 for the week (and outdrew Walking Dead head to head, although not in the key demo).

Another ABC note, nice to see how they forced Disney Store and Belle costumes into tonight's Modern Family.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Yes, I agree. ...

No interest whatsoever. It started weak and got worse. And I am no Marvel fanboi.

But I'd rather watch something more highbrow in concept like Resurrection, which showed lots of promise and actually was No. 6 for the week (and outdrew Walking Dead head to head, although not in the key demo).

Another ABC note, nice to see how they forced Disney Store and Belle costumes into tonight's Modern Family.

If you dvr'ed Once Upon A Time, go back to it. First scene, blue plates, look close. Something was shoehorned in there, as well.

Getting around to Resurrection tonight.

yoyoflamingo

Noticed that about the Disney Store as well. Synergy at its finest :rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom