The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
What does this mean?

It can be boiled down even simpler...

What is our motivation? What is our purpose, and actually make decisions based on that.

Not some stupid 'vision' statement that people recite but is not what actually drives decisions.. a motivation that actually steers actual CHOICES.

Then measure people based on how they align with that motivation/goal.

At it's root it's a culture problem... a culture that will never be fixed as long as organizations lie to themselves over what is most important.

ParentsOf4

It can be boiled down even simpler...

What is our motivation? What is our purpose, and actually make decisions based on that.

Not some stupid 'vision' statement that people recite but is not what actually drives decisions.. a motivation that actually steers actual CHOICES.

Then measure people based on how they align with that motivation/goal.

At it's root it's a culture problem... a culture that will never be fixed as long as organizations lie to themselves over what is most important.
As you allude to, there is a world of difference between a visionary and a vision statement.

Walt Disney was a visionary.

Now imagine Walt Disney writing a vision statement.

A vision statement is for an organization that lacks vision. ;)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Count Cisco out... Cisco has been divesting its 'non-core' stuff and is refocusing on the 'Internet of Everything' - not reaching out into trying to be a media company. Cisco is refocusing as a network company.

Good to hear, Some really fast routers would be nice along with 10GE edge switches, Tired of the JNPR weirdnesses.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
MSFT already have a brand which works for them. They ain't spending more on an independent brand when they already have a successful one.

Edit: To Spirit this isn't a full on return - more like a short term arrival between real world events.

Because of MSFT gaming they are already a media company, Now they need to extend the Xbox into a 'media platform' and for that they need content people are willing to pay for.

Xbox has the POTENTIAL to be the 'home entertainment hub' IF MSFT can lock in content for it, similar to the 'Smart TV' systems.

I don't own a Xbox though, I do own stock.

HM Spectre

Those making decisions affecting WDW aren’t evil and they aren’t intellectually stupid.

They are making the “best” decisions based on limitations imposed on them.

Externally, those limitations flow down from the top of the corporate food chain; Iger and Rasulo. There are factors that influence Iger and Rasulo such as the BOD (which Iger effectively controls) and Wall Street. However, Iger is powerful enough that he could produce change, if he wanted to. He doesn’t want to. WDW is the way that it is because it’s what Iger wants, if not in word then certainly by deed.

Internally, those limitations come from the backgrounds of the individuals making decisions affecting WDW. They all are academically intelligent. Most are talented administrators. That’s their strengths. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the skillset to lead an organization creatively. Their abilities don’t make them visionaries, which is what it takes for an organization to remain on the cutting edge.

Organizations need to balance administrative and creative talents. When one side becomes dominant, it leads to a less successful organization. Artists are needed to push the boundaries, to dream big. Administrators are needed to reign in artistic excess.

It’s more difficult to find an outstanding artist than an outstanding administrator. That “vision thing” is not something that can be evaluated during an interview or judged during an annual performance review. Usually those conducting these evaluations lack the background to accurately appraise creative talent. Quite the opposite; true visionaries scare them.

What does this mean?

Once an organization reaches a certain level of maturity, the organization tends to produce a strong group of administrators where creativity is either not up to the standard needed to remain an industry leader or creativity is marginalized by those same administrators. In such an environment, the most talented visionaries either leave or are beaten into submission.

In such an organization, there is no balance. Decisions overwhelmingly are driven by dollars-and-cents considerations. Since it is difficult to predict long-term success using a dollars-and-cents approach (much long-term “market data” is nothing more than imaginative projections), those decisions are dominated by short-term thinking. What’s good for this year and the next, and how do I massage long-term data to support the short-term decision I’ve already made? The organization takes incremental steps instead of planning for the future. The organization withers, sinking into mediocrity and eventual slow decay.

Industry-leading becomes excellent becomes good becomes good enough.

Currently, WDW is dominated by administrators, rather than a balance of administrators and visionaries.

This is what is happening at WDW today.

Fixing WDW is not simply a matter of lowering hotel prices, building Star Wars Land, or restoring the Yeti. It's a matter of locating and empowering a visionary with sufficient authority to effect meaningful change, one who can lead towards the future.

Exactly. Iger has no reason to produce change. He's leaving in around a year's time and the stock price is at an all-time high (sustainability be damned)... he's on cruise control.

To produce change you need a visionary willing and able to look beyond direct impact to the bottom line. That's what Walt Disney was... they called Snow White "Disney's Folly", he had difficulty securing the funding and it nearly bankrupted the company. Walt said most people he talked to about Disneyland thought it would be a financial disaster and closed within a year. Without Walt's vision to see past the raw numbers into the potential of his work, none of what exists today would even be possible.

From a Diane Disney article I had read, I think this Walt quote is pretty relevant: "I'm always sympathetic with you because you have to sit in with the bankers and the money men, and you have to fight the stockbrokers who come in and harass you and say, `Do something so I can turn over my Disney stock and make a profit.' I told Roy, 'You've got to get away from those fellows. They'll get you down. Stay as far away from them as you can."

Well... not only is today's Disney not "staying as far away from" those people as possible, it's RUN by those people.

When a company that was built and thrived on creativity and vision as core principles is run by "administrators" as you call them, whose intense focus is driven strictly by short-term financials, it's no surprise that things are stagnating. It's easy to take what has been built by creativity and value engineer it to produce short-term savings. It's much harder to have a vision to innovate, create and GROW which requires risk taking, outside the box thinking and SPENDING money.

I doubt that Iger stepping down will have much impact either; the company is infested with people of the same mindset (by design of course, it's job security). It's not just one man at the heart of the problem, it's the whole corporate culture and you don't change corporate culture by replacing the CEO with someone who has been beneath him in the corporate ladder trying to emulate him and take his job.

Unless a creative visionary lands up top and does a downright purge of the current mindset in order to re-establish what Disney should be about, they'll keep heading towards the inevitable result of short-sighted decision making. It's just a sad state of affairs.

BlueSkyDriveBy

Nope. Some people have been on tracks that are correct. ;) The story has been shared and leaked amongst certain people at this entity. I just don't feel comfortable boldly sharing the party and the two potential buyers. All the answers have been put in this thread, though. I can say that much.

In any other situation, I'd just say what I knew was going on, but it's still ongoing and I don't want this coming back on anyone. I just thought that it was way too interesting to not put in the thread because I just learned about it and it directly relates to what has been talking about over the past week.

According to Bloomberg TV this morning, Disney is currently looking to acquire another studio.

Are you referring to this story:

Disney in Talks to Buy Maker Studios

SirLink

Because of MSFT gaming they are already a media company, Now they need to extend the Xbox into a 'media platform' and for that they need content people are willing to pay for.

Xbox has the POTENTIAL to be the 'home entertainment hub' IF MSFT can lock in content for it, similar to the 'Smart TV' systems.

I don't own a Xbox though, I do own stock.

Depends what you derive as a media platform ... it has an on demand service, has Apps for all your favorite streaming sites: Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO Go, etc. Has got TV series already in development. In fact Xbox has argubably more content than a standard 'Smart TV'...

MSFT were betting Google/Apple/Amazon entering the battle of the Living Room. Guess what guys they are entering that battle through more thought out set top box's with Nvidia hardware inside.

SirLink

As you allude to, there is a world of difference between a visionary and a vision statement.

Walt Disney was a visionary.

Now imagine Walt Disney writing a vision statement.

A vision statement is for an organization that lacks vision. ;)

I wouldn't agree with the last point. I would say it focus a business unit instead of being "so wide you could drive 10 cars through side by side" which is why Disney Interactive needed one. They had vision just their vision was scatter-shot.

And Walt Disney most likely did have a vision statement, "make people happy", but he may never of referred to it using hip and trendy business words like "vision statement" more like a mission statement it provides direction. All companies need one ...

Cesar R M

You really should look at this.

sandvine-2h-2013.png

Are these graphs worldwide or just US?
Please note that not all the world have Netflix access, as netflix by itself is country blocked for their respective versions. (no surprise a lot of people use proxies to see the US only content)

Only a year ago Netflix Mexico started to offer services, dunno about other latinamerican countries.
But Youtube was the way to go for almost everything.. then itunex or apple media (music, music videos and trailers)
Anyway bandwidth wise.. netflix might be larger, because their pre-buffering and huge movie size.
with youtube yuo're not only watching movies, you're watching remixes, small animation, documentaries, short comedy, music (with no heavy video).

also, I tought we were talking about hits and reach, not bandwidth wise.

Google is still in the "portal" business, they have been for a very long time. They want to control your total experience.

They've gotten into the OS business, simply to control your experience. They have been in the media distribution business for a while, including aquisitons to control new media content distribution and monetize it (youtube as an example), and as of late, they are getting into the physical distribution market as a direct competitor to traditional ISPs.

It's still the portal wars during the first web bubble in the late 90s early 2000s, back when people weren't selling the "cloud" or SEO, and even before they were selling "keywords"...a long time ago, in a net that really isn't so far away (you do know that the majority of the net isn't accessible or searchable through google or related search engines?)...

Google never left that model. They are the AoL of the next decade, and they will own the content. The reason they will probably succeed is that, unlike AoL, they went for simple service first, and expanded. Vs AoL which quickly outgrew their britches as their services and demands outgrew their physical infrastructure (remember...busy signals?)

Agree with you, I wonder if their OS really as opportunity.. I would say it might be a higher percentage of success compared to other Oses like FIREFOX OS.

The interesting part of google is, they projected their growth and kept expanding their networks, unlike other mega content services like AOL (or Mexico's TELMEX aka Prodigy) which were hammered and couldn't add more for years.

Ok, since you asked, I guess I will bore you with some of my honeymoon pics (actually I love showing them off ;) ). First , here I am in Hawaii on Lanikai beach, Ohau- yes, it was nice....View attachment 48718

Gorgeous place!
Now, my honeymoon Tahiti, Moorea, & Bora Bora
First we went to Moorea [/ATTACH] View attachment 48719 View attachment 48720 View attachment 48721 View attachment 48722 View attachment 48723 View attachment 48724 View attachment 48725 View attachment 48726 View attachment 48727 which is almost as beautiful as Bora Bora

Talk about Paradise! thanks for sharing!
seems that after my Disney Cruise to alaska, I will have my eyes in visiting Hawai :D

Hong Kong Disneyland has a parade specifically for rainy days, while EPCOT has pavilions that are literally empty.

Just let this sink in.

aaauch... that was a deep burn there.

Those making decisions affecting WDW aren’t evil and they aren’t intellectually stupid.

Externally, those limitations flow down from the top of the corporate food chain; Iger and Rasulo. There are factors that influence Iger and Rasulo such as the BOD (which Iger effectively controls) and Wall Street. However, Iger is powerful enough that he could produce change, if he wanted to. He doesn’t want to. WDW is the way that it is because it’s what Iger wants, if not in word than certainly by deed.

Internally, those limitations come from the backgrounds of the individuals making decisions affecting WDW. They all are academically intelligent. Most are talented administrators. That’s their strengths. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the skillset to lead an organization creatively. Their abilities don’t make them visionaries, which is what it takes for an organization to remain on the cutting edge.

Organizations need to balance administrative and creative talents. When one side becomes dominant, it leads to a less successful organization. Artists are needed to push the boundaries, to dream big. Administrators are needed to reign in artistic excess.

It’s more difficult to find an outstanding artist than an outstanding administrator. That “vision thing” is not something that can be evaluated during an interview or judged during an annual performance review. Usually those conducting these evaluations lack the background to accurately appraise creative talent. Quite the opposite; true visionaries scare them.

What does this mean?

Once an organization reaches a certain level of maturity, the organization tends to produce a strong group of administrators where creativity is either not up to the standard needed to remain an industry leader or creativity is marginalized by those same administrators. In such an environment, the most talented visionaries either leave or are beaten into submission.

In such an organization, there is no balance. Decisions overwhelmingly are driven by dollars-and-cents considerations. Since it is difficult to predict long-term success using a dollars-and-cents approach (much long-term “market data” is nothing more than imaginative projections), those decisions are dominated by short-term thinking. What’s good for this year and the next, and how do I massage long-term data to support the short-term decision I’ve already made? The organization takes incremental steps instead of planning for the future. The organization withers, sinking into mediocrity and eventual slow decay.

Currently, WDW is dominated by administrators, rather than a balance of administrators and visionaries.

Fixing WDW is not simply a matter of lowering hotel prices, building Star Wars Land, or restoring the Yeti. It's a matter of locating and empowering a visionary with sufficient authority to effect meaningful change, one who can lead towards the future.

applauding this opinion!

Is it me, or does Sandberg look like a female Iger clone?

View attachment 48785
I hope not, let's hope she brings correct change. before the ship sinks.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
And, unsaid but implied, a vision statement will do nothing to help them obtain vision.
They (Iger and friends) should seriously just drop some LSD and take notes while on their "trip" to obtain said vision.

they could dream up a good dark ride that climbs up the stock market scale and through the the board room while executives slowly turn around in their chairs and throw money at you while your buggy dodges budget questions flying at you in 3-D and the Heffalumps and Woozles soundtrack plays in the background. (just replace honey with money in the lyrics)

Bacalou

Externally, those limitations flow down from the top of the corporate food chain; Iger and Rasulo. There are factors that influence Iger and Rasulo such as the BOD (which Iger effectively controls) and Wall Street. However, Iger is powerful enough that he could produce change, if he wanted to. He doesn’t want to. WDW is the way that it is because it’s what Iger wants, if not in word than certainly by deed.

What does this mean?

Exactly. Iger has no reason to produce change. He's leaving in around a year's time and the stock price is at an all-time high (sustainability be damned)... he's on cruise control.

To produce change you need a visionary willing and able to look beyond direct impact to the bottom line. That's what Walt Disney was... they called Snow White "Disney's Folly", he had difficulty securing the funding and it nearly bankrupted the company. Walt said most people he talked to about Disneyland thought it would be a financial disaster and closed within a year. Without Walt's vision to see past the raw numbers into the potential of his work, none of what exists today would even be possible.

From a Diane Disney article I had read, I think this Walt quote is pretty relevant: "I'm always sympathetic with you because you have to sit in with the bankers and the money men, and you have to fight the stockbrokers who come in and harass you and say, `Do something so I can turn over my Disney stock and make a profit.' I told Roy, 'You've got to get away from those fellows. They'll get you down. Stay as far away from them as you can."

Well... not only is today's Disney not "staying as far away from" those people as possible, it's RUN by those people.

When a company that was built and thrived on creativity and vision as core principles is run by "administrators" as you call them, whose intense focus is driven strictly by short-term financials, it's no surprise that things are stagnating. It's easy to take what has been built by creativity and value engineer it to produce short-term savings. It's much harder to have a vision to innovate, create and GROW which requires risk taking, outside the box thinking and SPENDING money.

I doubt that Iger stepping down will have much impact either; the company is infested with people of the same mindset (by design of course, it's job security). It's not just one man at the heart of the problem, it's the whole corporate culture and you don't change corporate culture by replacing the CEO with someone who has been beneath him in the corporate ladder trying to emulate him and take his job.

Unless a creative visionary lands up top and does a downright purge of the current mindset in order to re-establish what Disney should be about, they'll keep heading towards the inevitable result of short-sighted decision making. It's just a sad state of affairs.

These two posts are dead right as to what's going at at Disney's P&R. While other parts of the Disney corporation is doing quite well creatively, their P&R has become exactly as described. Sometimes I wonder how it must be having one of the four VP positions that oversee each of the four WDW parks. Do they sometimes drive there thinking on days of old or are they always focused on the bottom line...

When I visit Magic Kingdom and see works done like the Fantasy Land expansions, ride on Everest and visit the Tiki Bird Room restored to its original show, I can't help but think that there is a fringe of creative minds at work in the P&R group. I go on YouTube and see what's going on in Tokyo, Hong Kong & Singapore and I'm amazed. But then, I go visit Epcot and get depressed within an hour. Can the VP of Epcot be so detached from creativity and not be so inspired by other P&R Disney projects around the Earth? Without the special events that really drive the business at Epcot it doesn't bring anything to the table anymore that's even close to cutting edge.

I really appreciate WDW1974's posts but at the same time the posts really show the ugly truth of how the Disney Corporation treats P&R at Walt Disney World. The pinnacle project of Walt Disney himself has become one of the, if not the very pinnacle of un-creativity at the Disney Corporation. They should restore the original Journey Into Imagination but use trackless omnimovers such as those used at Sea World Orlando's Antarctica and then place all the high level WDW administration staff on the ride until they thoroughly understand WHY the parks were made.

flynnibus

Premium Member
And Walt Disney most likely did have a vision statement, "make people happy", but he may never of referred to it using hip and trendy business words like "vision statement" more like a mission statement it provides direction. All companies need one ...

Having one that doesn't really do anything is pointless.. and is kind of the point. A statement like 'we want to deliver the worlds most innovative houseware products' doesn't do to guide decisions within a company. Another fallacy is that vision statements are to define the focus of a company. No, what I'm saying is culture is broke when you say one thing, and do another. Having a vision statement doesn't fix that. Honesty and accepting of consequences is how you fix that.

Disney's Service Values statement (safety, courtesy, show, efficiency) is far more a practical guide than any vision statement like 'develop world class theme park entertainment for people of all ages' or some other lofty, but edgeless statement.

The problem is when a company is not honest or consistent in application of it's priorities. If your #1 worry is ensuring a 3% revenue growth.. then face up to it and spell it out.. because you are just going to steer your decisions by it anyways. Doing anything else just means lying to your employees and destroys credibility.

WDW1974

Original Poster
He went on for I don't know how long about the impending greatness of Fisherman's Wharf or whatever that thing was going to be called. Blindman's Bluff? I don't know. Even the concept art made it look like a strip mall with light bulbs. But ol' jt heralded it like the second coming of Walt. Oh the grass! oh the mulch! So glorious.

And maybe I'm misremembering. But didn't he say it has been several years since he has set foot in DTD?

Oh, and I remember the constant droning about the waffle stand. Disney needs a waffle stand. A waffle stand will fix everything that is wrong in the world. Sadly, waffles were probably the best idea jt ever brought to the table.

Probably right about that.

I just never got the exitement he had for anything at DD. It has NEVER (yes, even with PI in its heyday) been a driver of 99.9% of people booking $8,000 WDW vacations. It is a shopping and lifestyle (now Lifestyler) center. And call me a snob, but when I shop, I'd rather there be a Nordstrom's or a Neiman Marcus or even a Macy's around.

DD, going back to its earliest days in the mid-70s as the LBV Shopping Village, has never meant to be on par with ... you know, the parks and resorts.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'll also note, google is most certainly a media empire, and always has been, as their "billions" have traditionally come from advertisement.

Yes, I think that's a better way of framing the company. They are a tech company that has morphed into an ad empire based upon using their tech to predict (track, log, spy?) the likes of folks who use their tech and can tailor adds for them.

It's not coincidence that I am booked at a W Hotel for the first time in years and I keep getting banner ads touting them ... or that I can look two inches down the screen and see a DCL FLA Residents ad as they have me targeted since I have taken DCL cruises and I am a FL resident.

Cesar R M

They (Iger and friends) should seriously just drop some LSD and take notes while on their "trip" to obtain said vision.

they could dream up a good dark ride that climbs up the stock market scale and through the the board room while executives slowly turn around in their chairs and throw money at you while your buggy dodges budget questions flying at you in 3-D and the Heffalumps and Woozles soundtrack plays in the background. (just replace honey with money in the lyrics)

shouldn't that make things worse?
aka give them vivid images on how to exploit and extract all the money possible from clients, members..etc..?

Yes, I think that's a better way of framing the company. They are a tech company that has morphed into an ad empire based upon using their tech to predict (track, log, spy?) the likes of folks who use their tech and can tailor adds for them.

It's not coincidence that I am booked at a W Hotel for the first time in years and I keep getting banner ads touting them ... or that I can look two inches down the screen and see a DCL FLA Residents ad as they have me targeted since I have taken DCL cruises and I am a FL resident.

you can always use a ghostery for firefox or chrome..
they prevent such pesty trackers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom