The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Those making decisions affecting WDW aren’t evil and they aren’t intellectually stupid.

They are making the “best” decisions based on limitations imposed on them.

While I think you made some excellent points, as usual, in your post, I'll take a bit of a different view on your lead (yes, a journalism term).

You can define 'evil' a whole lot of different ways and WDW has some folks working at the highest ranks who just plain are not good people. So, I guess I'd call them 'bad' ... would I call them 'evil'? Probably not because we have so much evil in the world. But they are selfish and egotistical and live by a moral code that I don't feel comfortable with.

And the ''intellectually stupid'' part? Well, Disney doesn't have the best and the brightest. Again, I have met many of these people. Some I have known quite well. They come off as what I have come to term 'Disney lifers' because they wouldn't make it with other media/entertainment companies. They are lacking ... in everything from common sense to higher forms of intellect. I could give examples here, but I see no reason.

All I will say is look at WDW Prez George Kalogridis. I'd never call Georgie stupid intellectually, but I would never term him an intellectual to start with. George leaves a strong taste of ordinary on one's palate. He is where he is because Disney P&R has largely been a 'boys club' and he has played good soldier (you don't know how badly he was abused by Cynthia Harriss in his first Anaheim tenure) and will always follow orders, no matter the cost. ... come to think of it, that sounds evil to me.

As to your last point quoted above, that is absolutely accurate.

If someone gave George a billion dollars and said spend this on improving the actual in-parks experience, then there is no doubt in my mind that he would do so. But he isn't going to fight MM+, even when he probably knows with every fiber of his being that the project is a tremendous waste of money and will never earn the $$$ back that were promised to Iger and the BoD and is an operational nightmare.

WDW1974

Original Poster
It can be boiled down even simpler...

What is our motivation? What is our purpose, and actually make decisions based on that.

Not some stupid 'vision' statement that people recite but is not what actually drives decisions.. a motivation that actually steers actual CHOICES.

Then measure people based on how they align with that motivation/goal.

At it's root it's a culture problem... a culture that will never be fixed as long as organizations lie to themselves over what is most important.

I know you like to think all your posts are worthy of being in the WDWMAGIC.com Hall of Fame, however, I think the last line above is the most accurate and simplest statement of what is wrong with Disney that I have ever seen!

Nubs70

My take is that UNI is not really doing more than paying cursory attention to Disney ... literally, just the bare minimum one must do when dealing with a competitor.

They are so sure that what they are doing is the right way, that they sorta sit back bemused at MAGIC bands and entertainment cuts and project delays and just keep doing their own thing.
UNI is simply serving a market that WDW has jettisoned and ignored. The ignored segment is the adolescent to pre stroller adults.

Cesar R M

I know you like to think all your posts are worthy of being in the WDWMAGIC.com Hall of Fame, however, I think the last line above is the most accurate and simplest statement of what is wrong with Disney that I have ever seen!
The saddest part is.. how the hell you can fix a company that seems pretty rotten from the top, full of administrators and accountants and zero visionaries.

Its like a self protected group that keeps away anyone who doesn't like to count pennies and dollars.

Nubs70

The saddest part is.. how the hell you can fix a company that seems pretty rotten from the top, full of administrators and accountants and zero visionaries.

Its like a self protected group that keeps away anyone who doesn't like to count pennies and dollars.
Someone like Carl Icahn or Prince Allaweed (sp?) puts together a package with a management team of disaffected WDW visionaries.

This does not mean the parks can be run without a profit.

PhotoDave219

Please Stay Tuned

They will try to herd the cats to no avail. And the AARs, as you call them, will find the product they want.

That the big players are trying to fortify their positions is of little consequence in a market that evolves faster and faster.

Castles became obsolete because of the industrial revolution. But they still make nice museums.

Hey, when the zombie apocalypse comes? I want to be in a castle.

Preferably one within reasonable driving distance of a Sam's Club or BJ's or Costco…

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Wednesday Musings:

You know when your heart just isn't in something, when you are just phoning it in, when you aren't really all there? You know like the way WDW is run? I sorta feel that way tonight with this post. But I'll at least have the decency to warn you and apologize.

I saw all sorts of sights on the lovely beaches of SoFla today, but the thing that sticks in my mind is this fish I saw in a pond (freshwater) at a hotel I stopped into. It was huge and scary ... I thought it might have been a small gator, but was a fish. ... Hey, I said I was phoning it in tonight.

Very thankful that a special fanboi who lives a block away from the explosion in NYC is fine. Thanks for calling too! My strong advice, based on years of observing, is that if someone is working anywhere near a gas line GET THE HELL AWAY until they are done or they blow the place up. I swear I can't think of one case where a gas line was severed and there was an explosion that wasn't caused by 'workers in the area.''

TDR is probably setting a record for Americans in its parks this week with Deb Wills and her entourage, our old friend Parkscope Sean and our MUCH older friend @Buried20KLeague all visiting at the same time. They all should have hired @WDWFigment as their official photographer and snack taster.

I know many of you are experiencing wretched winters (even after we have 'sprung forward') but after just attempting a jog that turned into a brisk walk, I can tell you that 75 degrees and high humidity at night in March just ain't fun.

I am surprised that I took a shot at American autos and no one pushed back. There usually is at least one or two trying to justify why they spent more on a Chevy than they could have on a Benz.

Yes, I have met Robert Duval. No, he wasn't as impressed with me as most Disney fanbois.

I wish NBC wasn't running Revolution like it didn't care. It isn't an 8 p.m. show.

To a certain west coast Spirit, I wish we could stop playing phone tag for months. It really is crazy! And I miss ya!

The Miami Heat has lost four of five games ... LeBron says ''that's pretty bad.'' That is all.

Since I was ill, I didn't have an appetite (still no reason for you guys/gals to not offer to buy me food and beverage) and now that I can smell and taste food again, I have cravings for a steak sub and BBQ (just not together.)

Some of you have asked me about @Lee 's whereabouts. All I can say is you NEVER go against the family! Oh, and something about a ceiling fan with a monkey that costs almost as much as dinner for four at Le Cellier.

I read that @KevinYee went on another Disney Cruise. Good for him.

At the risk of burying this, and this is just informed rumour, but I wouldn't be surprised to see another hard ticket party at WDW THIS YEAR.

I'm curious, anyone here been to Europa Park?

Did Robert Niles (who has a truly lovely mother who gave me truly amazing cupcakes) try and stir up traff...I mean trouble by suggesting that a Thor meet-greet-and-grope was coming to TPFKaTD-MGMS?

I've never had a pedicure, but I am thinking about it. (I have had offers regarding my toes and feet -- REALLY!!! -- though).

Was the Soarin filming last night or is it tonight?

Why has it become kewl (other than the fact we are devolving back into monkeys) to take selfies where people are giving the finger? Not just idiot 16-year-olds but idiots that are 27, 46 and 65 too!

You know, for a phoning it in session, I sorta think this wasn't so bad.

WDW1974

Original Poster
DCA needed Carsland. None of the WDW parks need the visitation boost that DCA required. Even with Carsland, DCA can't begin to match the visitation of any of the WDW parks. It made perfect sense for TWDC to upgrade DCA even if it's still the weak sister of Disney U.S. parks.

Not accurate.

Both DAK and TPFKaTD-MGMS are both facing major issues (please, don't quote me numbers when Disney doesn't release any breakdowns officially) ... the only reason EPCOT isn't is because of two seasonal festivals that pay homage to that great Disney trait of drunken theme park debauchery. If it wasn't for food and beverage, EPCOT would very likely be a ghost town many days.

The only park at WDW that can stand on its own no matter what is the MK. Disney knows this. If they do, why are you fighting it, Phil?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom