The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

stlphil

Overtaking the Mouse is dumb fanboi drivel ... that isn't what UNI is attempting. They are growing their business in a smart, deliberate fashion. They are opting for creating magical experiences for guests instead of sticking a MAGIC band on their arms.

But they can also inflict great harm on Disney by simply changing the paradigm of a typical Central FL vacation.
Obviously, Universal has accepted that WDW is the big player in Orlando. They have a big fight on their hands but appear to have embraced it. By their actions they appear to be attacking WDW as being out of date and out of touch with their core audience. This will work in their favor to Disney’s detriment.

alphac2005

Um...they have one. It's called youtube.

You do know that youtube has a pay per view service for streaming HD movies, right?

Google is most certainly in the media business, including content creation. Apple, however, has positioned itself strictly as a media distributor.

Sorta right, sorta wrong.

I can add one little nugget: The media entity in question is negotiating their union deals early to have that resolved for the would be buyer and to actually help their many union employees before a sale so that they are set in stone. One of the prospective buyers would most certainly throw cash around like crazy and there are several divisions that are salivating at the prospect. The other entity people are very suspect and uncertain as to how they would spend even though they have a pile of cash.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Hmm,

MSFT or CSCO come to mind as companies who would like to buy a media property especially since CSCO provides much of the cable infrastructure and MSFT has had several failed independent media ventures so far so an established media property would be useful. Both have a boatload of cash.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Hmm,

MSFT or CSCO come to mind as companies who would like to buy a media property especially since CSCO provides much of the cable infrastructure and MSFT has had several failed independent media ventures so far so an established media property would be useful. Both have a boatload of cash.

Count Cisco out... Cisco has been divesting its 'non-core' stuff and is refocusing on the 'Internet of Everything' - not reaching out into trying to be a media company. Cisco is refocusing as a network company.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Sorta right, sorta wrong.

I can add one little nugget: The media entity in question is negotiating their union deals early to have that resolved for the would be buyer and to actually help their many union employees before a sale so that they are set in stone. One of the prospective buyers would most certainly throw cash around like crazy and there are several divisions that are salivating at the prospect. The other entity people are very suspect and uncertain as to how they would spend even though they have a pile of cash.

I still don't get it.

Hong Kong Disneyland has a parade specifically for rainy days, while EPCOT has pavilions that are literally empty.

Just let this sink in.

And now my butt hurts.

The one-two punch, yall. :(

SirLink

Hmm,

MSFT already have a brand which works for them. They ain't spending more on an independent brand when they already have a successful one.

Edit: To Spirit this isn't a full on return - more like a short term arrival between real world events.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I think Sunday is becoming way too busy with appointment TV.

And yes, I caught what I call the "Gay Lost'' (not my origination, a friend's) and enjoyed it. I was sorta beyond over the whole Pan arc.

The whole Pan arc ran its course and needed to move on. The new direction looks promising. It has my full attention.

I know we are at odds on SHEILD but DA*N it has picked up some pace and made me glad I have hung in there. Questions building, drama mounting, and the action is certainly there.

alphac2005

I will guess that maybe it's AT&T or DirecTV.

Nope. Some people have been on tracks that are correct. ;) The story has been shared and leaked amongst certain people at this entity. I just don't feel comfortable boldly sharing the party and the two potential buyers. All the answers have been put in this thread, though. I can say that much.

In any other situation, I'd just say what I knew was going on, but it's still ongoing and I don't want this coming back on anyone. I just thought that it was way too interesting to not put in the thread because I just learned about it and it directly relates to what has been talking about over the past week.

ParentsOf4

OK. We know that. How would you fix it?
Those making decisions affecting WDW aren’t evil and they aren’t intellectually stupid.

They are making the “best” decisions based on limitations imposed on them.

Externally, those limitations flow down from the top of the corporate food chain; Iger and Rasulo. There are factors that influence Iger and Rasulo such as the BOD (which Iger effectively controls) and Wall Street. However, Iger is powerful enough that he could produce change, if he wanted to. He doesn’t want to. WDW is the way that it is because it’s what Iger wants, if not in word than certainly by deed.

Internally, those limitations come from the backgrounds of the individuals making decisions affecting WDW. They all are academically intelligent. Most are talented administrators. That’s their strengths. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the skillset to lead an organization creatively. Their abilities don’t make them visionaries, which is what it takes for an organization to remain on the cutting edge.

Organizations need to balance administrative and creative talents. When one side becomes dominant, it leads to a less successful organization. Artists are needed to push the boundaries, to dream big. Administrators are needed to reign in artistic excess.

It’s more difficult to find an outstanding artist than an outstanding administrator. That “vision thing” is not something that can be evaluated during an interview or judged during an annual performance review. Usually those conducting these evaluations lack the background to accurately appraise creative talent. Quite the opposite; true visionaries scare them.

What does this mean?

Once an organization reaches a certain level of maturity, the organization tends to produce a strong group of administrators where creativity is either not up to the standard needed to remain an industry leader or creativity is marginalized by those same administrators. In such an environment, the most talented visionaries either leave or are beaten into submission.

In such an organization, there is no balance. Decisions overwhelmingly are driven by dollars-and-cents considerations. Since it is difficult to predict long-term success using a dollars-and-cents approach (much long-term “market data” is nothing more than imaginative projections), those decisions are dominated by short-term thinking. What’s good for this year and the next, and how do I massage long-term data to support the short-term decision I’ve already made?

The organization takes incremental steps instead of planning for the future. The organization withers, sinking into mediocrity and eventual slow decay.

Industry-leading becomes excellent becomes good becomes good enough.

Currently, WDW is dominated by administrators, rather than a balance of administrators and visionaries.

This is what is happening at WDW today.

Fixing WDW is not simply a matter of lowering hotel prices, building Star Wars Land, or restoring the Yeti. It's a matter of locating and empowering a visionary with sufficient authority to effect meaningful change, one who can lead towards the future.

Last edited:

lebeau

Those making decisions affecting WDW aren’t evil and they aren’t intellectually stupid.

They are making the “best” decisions based on limitations imposed on them.

Externally, those limitations flow down from the top of the corporate food chain; Iger and Rasulo. There are factors that influence Iger and Rasulo such as the BOD (which Iger effectively controls) and Wall Street. However, Iger is powerful enough that he could produce change, if he wanted to. He doesn’t want to. WDW is the way that it is because it’s what Iger wants, if not in word then certainly by deed.

Internally, those limitations come from the backgrounds of the individuals making decisions affecting WDW. They all are academically intelligent. Most are talented administrators. That’s their strengths. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they have the skillset to lead an organization creatively. Their abilities don’t make them visionaries, which is what it takes for an organization to remain on the cutting edge.

Organizations need to balance administrative and creative talents. When one side becomes dominant, it leads to a less successful organization. Artists are needed to push the boundaries, to dream big. Administrators are needed to reign in artistic excess.

It’s more difficult to find an outstanding artist than an outstanding administrator. That “vision thing” is not something that can be evaluated during an interview or judged during an annual performance review. Usually those conducting these evaluations lack the background to accurately appraise creative talent. Quite the opposite; true visionaries scare them.

What does this mean?

Once an organization reaches a certain level of maturity, the organization tends to produce a strong group of administrators where creativity is either not up to the standard needed to remain an industry leader or creativity is marginalized by those same administrators. In such an environment, the most talented visionaries either leave or are beaten into submission.

In such an organization, there is no balance. Decisions overwhelmingly are driven by dollars-and-cents considerations. Since it’s much more difficult to predict long-term success using a dollars-and-cents approach (much long-term “market data” is nothing more than imaginative projections), those decisions are dominated by short-term thinking. What’s good for this year and the next, and how do I massage long-term data to support the short-term decision I’ve already made? The organization takes incremental steps instead of planning for the future. The organization withers, sinking into mediocrity and eventual slow decay.

Industry-leading becomes excellent becomes good becomes good enough.

Currently, WDW is dominated by administrators, rather than a balance of administrators and visionaries.

This is what is happening at WDW today.

Fixing WDW is not simply a matter of lowering hotel prices, building Star Wars Land, or restoring the Yeti. It's a matter of locating and empowering a visionary with sufficient authority to effect meaningful change. One who can lead towards the future.

Let me wipe away the tear rolling down my cheek.

Bravo!

alissafalco

Beautiful pics, @alissafalco ! Looks like you stayed at the Hilton Moorea (formerly Sheraton I believe). I stayed over water there at the Hilton 2 years ago and it was incredible. Then stayed over water at the St Regis in Bora Bora and it was insane. I heard the spa at the Thalasso was incredible though, as we almost stayed there. Also stayed over water in Fiji on a separate trip which was also incredible. This is why the Poly over water can/will never compare to the real thing, unless they plan on creating a true lagoon within the small "over water area" so you can actually see and swim in the water and sandy bottom directly from your villa, which I doubt they would do. Do yourselves a favor folks, see the real world, like @WDW1974 says...at least so you can compare and experience different things.
^^^^^ This yes exactly!!!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Is it me, or does Sandberg look like a female Iger clone?

sandberg.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom