The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

Nubs70

Snark and satire are the rule. Easier to be pithy with a soundbite than intellectual with a compelling argument.

Also exaggerates the already existing online trend of everything being either "best ever" or "sucking." No room for nuance.
This the point I was meaning to make but I was trying to limit myself to 140 characters. This is why I dislike the need for instant/low quality communication provided by Twitter/FB/Reddit. After the events in Boston, Reddit turned into an online lynch mob misidentifying innocent suspects and plastering images all over the world. When proven to be wrong, Reddit just says "oops" and off they go like there was no harm done. Or one could engage in quality communication like Congressman Wiener and broadcast one's junk to the world and deny it. Then we can all spend of our days, acting collectively as Beulah Ballbreaker, asking fervently "Have you seen this Tallywacker?!?!?!?"

Sneezy62

Now, the question is do I want to start WWIII sans my good friend Vlad Putin? Or do I simply place a link to a very long read without offering any comments (yet)?

OK, I choose the latter. Here's some reading for y'all. Warning, it is from the NYT Magazine so there are some big words.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/magazine/reaching-my-autistic-son-through-disney.html?_r=0
Wow. No dedication to a brand here just loving people using the tools at their disposal to reach their child. There are lots of things to take away from this article. Looking forward to the spirited comments.

Cesar R M

Snark and satire are the rule. Easier to be pithy with a soundbite than intellectual with a compelling argument.

Also exaggerates the already existing online trend of everything being either "best ever" or "sucking." No room for nuance.
you forgot the exaggerated actions that populate as responses.

"I'm crying over this, I swear!"
"This is the best thing ever"

RSoxNo1

In addition to playing on TV, this ad was running in the theatre prior to the previews when we saw Peabody & Sherman this after noon.
They've been doing a huge marketing push lately and I suspect that the same marketing push absent of the $1.5 billion investment would accomplish more or less the same thing.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Saturday Musings:

Yet again I ask a question with no apparent sane answer: why do people EVER feel the need to defend a multi-billion dollar corporation? Where the hell does that mindset come from? Whether it is Disney, UNI, Apple, Boeing or Starbucks? Just why?

To my fanboi friends, and you know who you are, who are having issues in the finding love game, I'll offer this advice: Why take a ham sandwich to a buffet?

Too damn early for springing ahead. Way too early. In ancient days when I was a child, we didn't set the clocks ahead until the third Sunday IN APRIL!!! We do not live in an agrarian society.

Deb Wills is a classy lady. I respect her. Even if she was a lifestyler two decades ago ... she had/has a quality site that serves the community and people who just want help in planning Disney vacations. I've met her a few times and she is nice and genuine in person ... so, you know I am about to slam her, right? No, I am not. BUT ... Deb is visiting HKDL, TDR and Aulani now. And, yes, Tweeting about it. It's the first time in her life that she has been to these cities and yet all she is doing, apparently, is visiting the Disney sites. I find that insane. How someone could go all the way to HK, just to see HKDL while staying at a Disney hotel ... and then fly out to Tokyo and do the same.

I just don't get that mindset at all. I suppose it's akin to if when I had gone to Germany, if I had dined only at McD's, BK, Subway, KFC and Starbucks. How do you visit amazing cities and simply go to Disney parks? BTW, did @Buried20KLeague leave for TDR himself yet? If you haven't, then I wish you a great trip and look forward to hearing about it.

So, do we have a breathless thread about the MK's new parade? Did it perform today? Are all the Lifestylers out at the park 'just in case'?

Jimmy Fallon is a funny talented guy. But he sure doesn't appear to be 11:30 p.m. material. Yep, all you Jay-bashers, it isn't as easy as it looks.

No, I am not thrilled with all that OMG!!!! merchandise Disney is putting out in the new 'Co-Op' store at DD. I don't need constant in my face reminders that Disney also realizes WDW used to be a whole lot better too!

Very much looking forward to the return of the Gay Lost as well as the debut of Resurrection on ABC tomorrow.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Really? I thought the food was excellent--albeit portions more in line with a tapas restaurant than your typical Tex-Mex chain--and drinks better and cheaper than La Cava (which has resorted to pre-mixing its margaritas). Place has been jammed last two Mardi Gras nights, which may be part of the issue--a victim of its own success.

I'm just basing that on what friends who have been have told me. ... and I sorta gave up on La Cava a few years ago now. I'm not queuing up for 20 minutes to pay Disney prices for an adult beverage, even a good one.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I guess a trillion positive reviews and 1 negative review by the Amity Corless family = Mixed.

The place is a home run by all accounts.

Now, c'mon Henry ... do you think I base anything on what Tommy Boi says? Hell, I wasn't even aware he didn't like the place before seeing your post.

Just like not everything at WDW is total crap today, neither is everything at UNI a total home run.

I trust the tastes of the people who have reported to me. It won't prevent me from trying it out myself, though.

Oh, I also wasn't thrilled with the barely edible pizza served at the Springfield food court last fall either.

UNI is doing far more right than wrong today, but they aren't nailing everything. And when you extoll the virtues of everything at UNI being great, you run the risk of sounding like Lou Mongello.

Even TDR is not perfect.

Clamman73

Spirited Saturday Musings:

Yet again I ask a question with no apparent sane answer: why do people EVER feel the need to defend a multi-billion dollar corporation? Where the hell does that mindset come from? Whether it is Disney, UNI, Apple, Boeing or Starbucks? Just why?

To my fanboi friends, and you know who you are, who are having issues in the finding love game, I'll offer this advice: Why take a ham sandwich to a buffet?

Too damn early for springing ahead. Way too early. In ancient days when I was a child, we didn't set the clocks ahead until the third Sunday IN APRIL!!! We do not live in an agrarian society.

Deb Wills is a classy lady. I respect her. Even if she was a lifestyler two decades ago ... she had/has a quality site that serves the community and people who just want help in planning Disney vacations. I've met her a few times and she is nice and genuine in person ... so, you know I am about to slam her, right? No, I am not. BUT ... Deb is visiting HKDL, TDR and Aulani now. And, yes, Tweeting about it. It's the first time in her life that she has been to these cities and yet all she is doing, apparently, is visiting the Disney sites. I find that insane. How someone could go all the way to HK, just to see HKDL while staying at a Disney hotel ... and then fly out to Tokyo and do the same.

I just don't get that mindset at all. I suppose it's akin to if when I had gone to Germany, if I had dined only at McD's, BK, Subway, KFC and Starbucks. How do you visit amazing cities and simply go to Disney parks? BTW, did @Buried20KLeague leave for TDR himself yet? If you haven't, then I wish you a great trip and look forward to hearing about it.

So, do we have a breathless thread about the MK's new parade? Did it perform today? Are all the Lifestylers out at the park 'just in case'?

Jimmy Fallon is a funny talented guy. But he sure doesn't appear to be 11:30 p.m. material. Yep, all you Jay-bashers, it isn't as easy as it looks.

No, I am not thrilled with all that OMG!!!! merchandise Disney is putting out in the new 'Co-Op' store at DD. I don't need constant in my face reminders that Disney also realizes WDW used to be a whole lot better too
Very much looking forward to the return of the Gay Lost as well as the debut of Resurrection on ABC tomorrow.

Right...I'm still waiting for the "This is the best sushi I've ever had!" post, but...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom