The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
@WDW1974 who do you think could turn TWDC around, They cannot increase prices and cut services forever and from my read of the report there is NO organic growth within TWDC.

I'm going to evade answering this by simply stating a fact: there are MANY talented media execs out there that could run Disney for both its short and long term health (some you've heard of, some I would bet that 99.999% of folks here have not). The vast majority are folks who do not work for TWDC. The company needs new blood as much as I need fanboi tears. It can't go on forever with its current business model and that's why in two years time The Weatherman will be packing up his office and asking when he will be named a Disney Legend.

FrankLapidus

I don't want or intend to have this discussion here and now, but I will say that you paint only one side of the picture and a tainted and PR-tinged one (not that plenty of it isn't at the least partially true). Sure he had a large ego. You really think Frank didn't? How about Roy? (all rhetorical)

The real Michael Eisner was -- and remains -- the best thing that happened to TWDC after Walt's death. But if you want to have a discussion on ME's merits and flaws I'd rather you did it in another thread, perhaps I'll take part.

I agree to a point, Michael Eisner pre-1994/1995 had exactly what Disney needs in a CEO right now.

I really don't want to discuss it any further, as you've said he isn't coming back to Disney so there isn't any need to further discuss the matter. I got sucked into one of Peter Alt's fantastical theories when I should have known better.

I apologise for derailing the thread and won't do so any further.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm going to evade answering this by simply stating a fact: there are MANY talented media execs out there that could run Disney for both its short and long term health (some you've heard of, some I would bet that 99.999% of folks here have not). The vast majority are folks who do not work for TWDC. The company needs new blood as much as I need fanboi tears. It can't go on forever with its current business model and that's why in two years time The Weatherman will be packing up his office and asking when he will be named a Disney Legend.

Thanks @WDW1974, I'm in the tech field and tend to see things as they are not as I'd like them to be and I'm really not liking what I'm seeing with the cuts in entertainment Miyuki and PUSH being the highest profile,

It also seems Disney is having a hard time profiting with their media properties as well.

I DONT see Iger getting a 'Disney Legend' designation, Although I would give him one if it made him leave faster...

FrankLapidus

Agree but I still have an uneasy feeling that Tom Staggs is being positioned for the top job. I had the same feeling about Iger, I hope I'm wrong this time around.

WDW1974

Original Poster
How about the 3+ hour waits the Frozen meet and grope is getting?

I have a word for that: insanity.

Yes, I mean that. Because no child is ever going to want to wait (or be able) to wait that long without meltdowns (we didn't have that word for bratty kids when i was one) ... and adults ...cough ...Phil ...cough ...cough who would wait that long because they want to meet O-Town residents pretending to be toon characters have major, major issues.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Agree but I still have an uneasy feeling that Tom Staggs is being positioned for the top job. I had the same feeling about Iger, I hope I'm wrong this time around.

He certainly believes he is and Iger is not doing much to change that perception.
I know people who say that Tom isn't so bad etc ... but I think the fact the man may actually possess a soul, unlike say Bob or Jay Rasulo shouldn't be the criteria used to make him the head of the company ... or even the fact he may actually enjoy visiting DLR with his boys.

Staggs is an Eisner/Iger vet whose roots are in that tangled destructive mass known as Strategic Planning. I have issues (big ones) with him running P&R, let alone the entire company.

MerlinTheGoat

What would you say the chances are at this point that Iger's replacement will be any sort of substantial improvement that we need though? Thus far, the board appears to have sucked up to Iger like crazy. I don't know whether the problems of next gen have soured that relationship to any serious degree (though if it has hit $2 billion and not showing any signs of recouping that loss any time soon i'm guessing they can't be too happy), but i'm worried that they'll just end up appointing another successor just like Iger and we'll be stuck with yet another decade+ of cost cutting and blandness. Or someone else they think can get them the most bonuses and profits for the least amount of effort to reinvest in the product properly. Has the board finally gotten to a point where they're fed up with Iger's philosophies and are willing to try something new (investment in quality perhaps) that they could actually be willing to bring in some "new blood"?

Partly related, but I also saw Frozen a while back and I agree with you. Enjoyed it a lot, but thought the music was very bleh (I actually saw Phantom of the Opera for the first time shortly after which served as a fantastic palate cleanser for Frozen's music). Still doesn't match the likes of Beauty and the Beast or some of the other 90's renaissance movies. And I also think Hunchback of Notre Dame is criminally snubbed by most people. Still a very entertaining movie nonetheless though.

Also, have you heard any news on the Journey into Imagination front lately? Last I think we heard was that the project was supposedly scrapped (again) for now due to money reasons. And for that matter, anything to saw about the DHS overhaul (again there were rumors this was also postponed or even outright shelved due to next gen's cost overrun)?

Mr Spirit, welcome back. We. Missed. You.
911952-smith.jpg

Last edited:

FrankLapidus

He certainly believes he is and Iger is not doing much to change that perception.
I know people who say that Tom isn't so bad etc ... but I think the fact the man may actually possess a soul, unlike say Bob or Jay Rasulo shouldn't be the criteria used to make him the head of the company ... or even the fact he may actually enjoy visiting DLR with his boys.

Staggs is an Eisner/Iger vet whose roots are in that tangled destructive mass known as Strategic Planning. I have issues (big ones) with him running P&R, let alone the entire company.

Can't disagree with any of that, the company needs a clean break but I have doubts over whether the BoD will consider outside candidates as opposed to keeping things in-house. At the very least Disney needs a CEO with a creative vision and instinct, Eisner had both while Iger doesn't possess a modicum of either; I'm not sure about Staggs in that respect but him coming from a background in Strategic Planning really doesn't inspire confidence.

I'm hoping there's an outside appointment and that Staggs and Rasulo (how does he still have a job a Disney anyway?) decide to follow Iger into politics or whatever else he ends up doing.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a reminder, but the Weatherman will be on CNBC sometime in the 4 p.m. (Eastern) block to gloat about Disney's numbers.

I know I shouldn't watch, but that is actually the only thing keeping me here in the office (too bad, I can't stream it on my IMAGICBand screen).

mahnamahna101

Is there any news about what's going on at Universal Orlando after Diagon Alley opens? I know JP and Kong are slated to come, but what's the general time-frame?

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
Thanks @WDW1974, I'm in the tech field and tend to see things as they are not as I'd like them to be and I'm really not liking what I'm seeing with the cuts in entertainment Miyuki and PUSH being the highest profile,

It also seems Disney is having a hard time profiting with their media properties as well.

I DONT see Iger getting a 'Disney Legend' designation, Although I would give him one if it made him leave faster...

FYI - Miyuki left Epcot of her own choice. She has been telling people since late this past summer that she was planning on leaving and wants to open her own shop - rumor has it possibly in New York.

truecoat

The two are the same personality types. They couldn't work together because it was a gigantic clash of egos. Jobs burnt many bridges too.

When Jobs returned, he was so humbled by it that he refused a salary and only took on the title of acting CEO when the BOD begged him to. He accepted the title as "Acting CEO" for quite a while before the BOD made him actual CEO.

I don't know what will happen with Eisner, neither do you. I'm not sure if there's an Eisner 2.0, neither do you. But when I read his tweets and his Instagram comments, I'm not seeing the cut-throat Eisner of the 80-90's. I'm seeing a more relaxed, grandfatherly, wiser, more mature, caring Eisner. I could be seeing the beginning of an Eisner 2.0. Or maybe not.

But Jobs also manipulated the Apple stock price to get the current CEO Gil Amelio ousted. Doesn't sound like such a humbling proposition.

Cody5242

Bob Iger stated multiple times that Disney is offering a product that everyone loves. But @WDW1974 is saying the parks are stale! Should I take the Weatherman's word that's ego is through the roof or should I trust the mysterious Spirit with the solid track record....

Funmeister

I'm not Spirit, but if it helps any....land is already being cleared, rather quickly, for Kong

Will it be a tie-in with JP? I am confused on how it ties in with JP yet understand it is somewhat of a clone from Hollywood? Any details on how they plan to theme it with the existing area?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom