The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

PeterAlt

There is no Eisner 1.0, there is one Michael Eisner and he isn't Steve Jobs.

I find it ironic you keep comparing the two when the breakdown between Disney and Jobs/Pixar played a major role in ousting Eisner, who Jobs swore never to work with. How exactly would it work having Michael Eisner back as CEO with John Lasseter and Ed Catmull in charge of Disney Animation after the implosion of the Disney/Pixar relationship during Eisner's tenure?

There is no rehabilitation, Eisner had his time and blew it, there are far too many bridges burned for there to ever be a way back for him at Disney.

He did great things when he had Frank Wells to reign him in but he came to see Disney at his own personal clubhouse; those who pandered to him and his paranoid delusions, Bob Iger and Jay Rasulo among them, prospered while talented executives like Steve Burke slipped through the net. Much of what is wrong with the Walt Disney Company today began with Michael Eisner.

Egos like his don't "reflect and grow", they fester and hope for an opportunity to get even. His time is done and should remain where it is, firmly in the past.
The two are the same personality types. They couldn't work together because it was a gigantic clash of egos. Jobs burnt many bridges too.

When Jobs returned, he was so humbled by it that he refused a salary and only took on the title of acting CEO when the BOD begged him to. He accepted the title as "Acting CEO" for quite a while before the BOD made him actual CEO.

I don't know what will happen with Eisner, neither do you. I'm not sure if there's an Eisner 2.0, neither do you. But when I read his tweets and his Instagram comments, I'm not seeing the cut-throat Eisner of the 80-90's. I'm seeing a more relaxed, grandfatherly, wiser, more mature, caring Eisner. I could be seeing the beginning of an Eisner 2.0. Or maybe not.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
FFS... does this mean Footers were 2013.. and Eisner is 2014 ??

I want to scrape my eyes out sometimes.

I don't think so, Disney has systemic issues if you look at the 123 page report from last night (I did) it basically stated that nearly all gains came from price increases and service cuts, There is no organic growth going on at TWDC now and it looks like PUSH and Ziti Sisters are at the leading edge of more cuts at P&R.

Board needs to hire someone who can reignite organic growth within TWDC, That might be Eisner 2.0 I thought it was VERY interesting that he was a high profile visitor at HKDL recently. Either way TWDC cannot stay on current trajectory much longer.

So we have a few options as I see it

1 Divest P&R to OLC who at least likes the theme park business and let TWDC become a IP holding company
2 Hire a new CEO who understands the entertainment business along with a strong Operations manager
3 continue as they are

FrankLapidus

The two are the same personality types. They couldn't work together because it was a gigantic clash of egos. Jobs burnt many bridges too.

When Jobs returned, he was so humbled by it that he refused a salary and only took on the title of acting CEO when the BOD begged him to. He accepted the title as "Acting CEO" for quite a while before the BOD made him actual CEO.

I don't know what will happen with Eisner, neither do you. I'm not sure if there's an Eisner 2.0, neither do you. But when I read his tweets and his Instagram comments, I'm not seeing the cut-throat Eisner of the 80-90's. I'm seeing a more relaxed, grandfatherly, wiser, more mature, caring Eisner. I could be seeing the beginning of an Eisner 2.0. Or maybe not.

So basically you're seeing exactly what he wants you to see, that he's a humbled man who has risen above the cut-throat politics of corporate America.

The image of Michael Eisner presented to the public when he was at Disney was always very different to the reality, he's always been good at that so I'm not surprised he gives you that impression.

The real Michael Eisner is the person who implemented "Project Snowball" to ensure that Jeffrey Katzenberg didn't receive the money he was rightly entitled to from Disney. The real Michael Eisner allowed his best friend Michael Ovitz to walk into an ambush when he joined the Walt Disney Company, an ambush facilitated by Michael Eisner because he had decided he really didn't want to share power with anyone after all, including his long-time friend. The real Michael Eisner sent David Stainton into Walt Disney Animation to cut costs and lay off hundreds of employees in retribution for the animators voicing their support for the SaveDisney campaign. The real Michael Eisner and his rampaging ego annihilated the hugely successful relationship between Disney and Pixar.

People like Michael Eisner don't change, there is no Eisner 1.0 or 2.0, he's exactly the same man he was when he walked into Disney, the only difference being then he had Frank Wells to be a conduit between the CEO and the rest of the company and keep his ego in check.

Eisner didn't just burn bridges during his time at Disney, he napalmed them. There is no way back for him at that company and that is the way it should be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just a kindly request (and we all know I am NOT a kind Spirit!), can we please not get derailed into discussions that are absurd be they that people cavorted with dinos 4,000 years ago when the world was new or that there is any chance of Michael Eisner returning to Disney when there is not.

I brought up his Tweets because they are topical and show a glimpse into the world of major media execs and their egos as well as what is going on in China involving Disney. I like the man personally and TWDC would not exist without him, but he is no more the guy for the job now than Bob Iger is.

But Wall Street has got its drooling/talking points from Zenia's office and I'm sure that after the year Disney had financially, they'll all step to the beat.

So ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Just a kindly request (and we all know I am NOT a kind Spirit!), can we please not get derailed into discussions that are absurd be they that people cavorted with dinos 4,000 years ago when the world was new or that there is any chance of Michael Eisner returning to Disney when there is not.

I brought up his Tweets because they are topical and show a glimpse into the world of major media execs and their egos as well as what is going on in China involving Disney. I like the man personally and TWDC would not exist without him, but he is no more the guy for the job now than Bob Iger is.

But Wall Street has got its drooling/talking points from Zenia's office and I'm sure that after the year Disney had financially, they'll all step to the beat.

So ...

@WDW1974 who do you think could turn TWDC around, They cannot increase prices and cut services forever and from my read of the report there is NO organic growth within TWDC.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Bob's letter is a masterwork of corporate communications because it actually says nothing at all.

It was painful to read ... nowhere more so than when he used the term 'platform agnostic' to discuss ABC's programming and how consumers digest it.

This techno geek still truly believes that people would rather watch a TV show on their Apple Watch (is that a thing yet) than a 60-inch Sony HD. I don't get this love for tech that he has or the massive twisted view that TV (the one thing he is supposed to truly get) is somehow passe. 111 million people watched a godawful Super Bowl game, highest number in history ... just part of a larger trend of event TV growing audiences now ... and he thinks it's all about platforms. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, this is the same guy who has allowed his P&R division to spend over $2 billion (that IS what it is now up to) on data mining/trip planning apps that make vacations less relaxing, door locks and plastic bracelets.

I mean, REALLY?!?!

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well there is a full year of Carsland revenue boost in there so it's not all price increases and cost cutting...just mostly;)

There's also full year of sailings of Disney Fantasy and, of course, DVC sales ... and international parks (well, Asian) all had great years.

But domestically, it is the same tale it has been for years now: raise prices, cut costs, milk more money out of existing guests.

PhotoDave219

So ...

My bad for bringing it up; I was just wondering if it was plausable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom