The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Rack rate is $162 week and $177 weekends. It was around $70-$80 bucks a night. Which is fine as far as I am concerned. I thought the resort was extremely well kept, versus my disastrous stay at POP a year ago. The frequency of the busses were excellent. At that resort its all about location, location, location. You have to absolutely get a preferred room. If you are on the other side of the resort you have to take a internal bus just to get a drink.

In other words, it takes a 60% off CM-only discount during the least expensive period on the calendar to bring the room down to what it is truly worth. I am just hoping Diagon Alley won't bring an end to my days of $50 TM rooms at UNI's more upscale resorts.

As far as Frozen is concerned, I agree on most points except the music. It may be simply from your perspective. My 6 yr old granddaughter continuously sings the songs and knows every word.

It all comes down to taste ... I pretty much hate all music since the 90s ended. ... But I wonder how that music will hold up versus the classics from the 1930s to the 90s. I don't see it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It was painful to read ... nowhere more so than when he used the term 'platform agnostic' to discuss ABC's programming and how consumers digest it.

This techno geek still truly believes that people would rather watch a TV show on their Apple Watch (is that a thing yet) than a 60-inch Sony HD. I don't get this love for tech that he has or the massive twisted view that TV (the one thing he is supposed to truly get) is somehow passe. 111 million people watched a godawful Super Bowl game, highest number in history ... just part of a larger trend of event TV growing audiences now ... and he thinks it's all about platforms. UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, this is the same guy who has allowed his P&R division to spend over $2 billion (that IS what is now) on data mining/trip planning apps that make vacations less relaxing, door locks and plastic bracelets.

I mean, REALLY?!?!

Iger's just another empty suit trying to show they are relevant by embracing the latest 'shiny' technology without looking at the business case supporting the use of the technology. There WILL be applications for the iWatch but they will not be dreamed up by some suit in a boardroom somewhere, trying to beat a square technological peg into a round real world hole.

Moto's flip phone gave us the 'Star Trek' communicator and text messaging, the IPad gave us the Star Trek PADD which was a easily portable universal computer interface. The real world thought up the apps.

If you are interested in Aviation the iPad became a 'glass cockpit display' for small planes, on larger planes it has taken the place of the Jeppeson Sectional Charts which all commercial pilots used to carry, In a prior life I automated a airline's maintenance manuals with LOTUS NOTES - instead of dozens of binders with daily updates aircraft tech's had a laptop when they logged in in the morning manuals were updated and update log completed automatically, Now the same thing is done with an iPad.

Boardroom disasters like NGE will live on as b-school case studies in how NOT to do tech.

bhg469

I believe it's another cut PLEASE tell me I am wrong, It was a great way to spend time watching a traditional japanese craftswoman create something unique before your eyes and there are only 15 people in the world trained to do this.

I have seen that show more times than I have ridden soarin.. Guess which I would give up? If this is budget related, like you think, I'm not sure what to think about this future of wdw.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Nothing was planned. But you can bet that Imagineers are foaming at the mouth with blue sky concepts to get something built.

Of course, DL was supposed to get a massive Snow Queen themed, Marc Davis designed boat ride back in the 70s!

.....Well not that they have their own movie ripping Snow Queen off

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I have seen that show more times than I have ridden soarin.. Guess which I would give up? If this is budget related, like you think, I'm not sure what to think about this future of wdw.

I also prefer a Miyuki show to Soarin' when I've had to choose Miyuki always won and I've never seen her do the same animal in the same way twice and I've probably seen about 100 of her shows over the years.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Thanks for the elaborate reply. Good to see you stayed at the SL. It's my second favorite resort at DLP, I think I like it even more than the WL. Glad to hear they have improved their maintenance on the e-tickets, and I hope they will continue doing that. At DLP they can sometimes leave a broken animatronic in a ride (like Pirates) for a couple of weeks before fixing it. And the last couple of years I have ridden RNRC more without music on it, than with music. I think maintenance should be their main priority for the short term. DLP can be a gem and one of the most beautiful Disney parks if maintained properly.

SL is the only resort at DLP I will stay at right now. They have major issues at most of them and their cheapest options (like the recently rehabbed Santa Fe) are way too down market for my Faux Top One Percent tastes.

I have heard, but not seen, examples of Disney putting inop AAs behind tarps and curtains to prevent them from being seen. But I actually saw AAs that I haven't seen in years that were working like the dueling pirates and the swinging Tarzan Pirate on PotC.

Only did RnRC once and the music was fine and the effects were all working, but it was very rough -- O-Town like and I just don't enjoy coasters when they injure me.

Good to see you also enjoyed the new christmas tree and it's lighting show. I also enjoyed Dreams of Christmas, although the opinions on that show vary.

I loved Dreams of Christmas. For all the ripping that DLP receives, most of it well deserved, it still presented the type of new Christmas night time spectacular that would have WDW social media whores wetting themselves. Now, is it largely a rip of the Holiday WoC show? I haven't seen that, but I am sure it was. But who cares? Disney regularly shares content amongst parks.

I think the show had a bit too much Frozen and Toy Story for my tastes, but still thought it was wonderful.

And also saw the regular Dreams show when it returned and really think 2.0 is even better with the new Brave and Lion King segments replacing Mary Poppins and Jungle Book. What a GREAT show. Better than anything WDW shows. And better yet that it doesn't focus so much on the same old IP, great to see Peter Pan as the focus and segments from Hunchback and Princess and Frog too.

I did hear from someone who works there who said that locals/APers preferred the original, but that isn't surprising.

Also look forward to Rat. At least it's a unique ride and not a clone. I hope it proves to be very succesfull for the DLP resort, so they have some more room for more investments. I also hope the Star Tours update will happen soon. It needs it.

It isn't going to break new ground. Hunny Hunt did that back in the 20th century. But it should be worlds better than the little kiddie coaster that every fanboi is getting worked up over.

Even though Star Tours has yet to be announced it will be happening sooner rather than later. It was fun to ride the old one, though. It wasn't fun to wait in a hot queue (see my future post on operational issues) for almost half an hour for what should have been a walk-on because they decided to staff enough people to run only two of six sims, however.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have a Facebook friend who works at TDS. About a year or so ago, she posted that TSMM had an EIGHT HOUR WAIT and a short time later, she posted a photo of the line stretching down the street. How could anyone in their right mind try to justify blowing an entire day waiting for one ride?

I don't know how anyone in their right mind waits an hour or longer for any theme park ride. Don't get that 'thinking' process at all.

I just don't.

And I generally don't get into queues when I see a wait time above 30 minutes. My time is more valuable than whatever attraction I would wait for.

orky8

It all comes down to taste ... I pretty much hate all music since the 90s ended. ... But I wonder how that music will hold up versus the classics from the 1930s to the 90s. I don't see it.

How many times have you seen it/heard the music? When I left the theater, I remember thinking the music was good, but I can't remember a single song. I've since heard the soundtrack a hundred times (the joys of parenting), and after the 4th or 5th time, knew every song and thought it rivaled or surpassed the movies of the 90s.

Remember, back then, the hits were all over the radio and on MTV (at least for lion king, but I think the theme songs for Aladdin, B&TB, and Pocahontas were too).

HenryMystic

I don't know how anyone in their right mind waits an hour or longer for any theme park ride. Don't get that 'thinking' process at all.

I just don't.

And I generally don't get into queues when I see a wait time above 30 minutes. My time is more valuable than whatever attraction I would wait for.
How about the 3+ hour waits the Frozen meet and grope is getting?

aladdin2007

Nothing was planned. But you can bet that Imagineers are foaming at the mouth with blue sky concepts to get something built.

Of course, DL was supposed to get a massive Snow Queen themed, Marc Davis designed boat ride back in the 70s!

Werent they still trying to build a big princess meetngreet (with frozen) next door to Norway? Or is that off the table now. I would rather them do that than see Norway become a princess pavilion which it isnt far from becoming already. Besides Norway is a traffic mess with the shoehorned in meetngreet.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yay! Another Spirited thread to keep up with! Welcome back WDW 1974 aka Mr. Spirit.. (yes I know it is already page 13 but I had to read it first). Somehow I knew you would name the thread something like this.

I have missed the intelligent speculation, scathing commentary, blatant sarcasm and revealing observations revealed in a Spirited Thread.

Thanks ... and while I say I like to educate and entertain and just plain make folks think, I love how you described my threads. I think you nailed it!!!:D:devilish::cool::)

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They are going digital in Anaheim (and, obviously, Shanghai) so I can't imagine O-Town being any different.

O town will grab all the film stuff and milk it for the next decade or so... After all you can have a digital to film print made a lot cheaper than new projectors...

John

In other words, it takes a 60% off CM-only discount during the least expensive period on the calendar to bring the room down to what it is truly worth. I am just hoping Diagon Alley won't bring an end to my days of $50 TM rooms at UNI's more upscale resorts.

Yup, Last year I did POP because I had my granddaughter with me and I paid somewhere around $40. I wouldn't stay there again if it was half that....I know there are people who like the place. So did I at one time. My mother was the crew that opened the place up. It brought her to tears to see what shape she was in. That was enough for me.

Here again we agree, Notice I said it was a hit with the afore mentioned granddaughter.....Disney's sweetspot demo. I too very much dislike any music since the 90's....but then again I have reached ol' fart status. ( the over 50 crowd).

SirLink

Hi Spirit

Can we talk about Disney Interactive is getting ready to cut cut cut - after Disney Leadership Team sought the advice of Skipper John and caused in house fighting with the Brand teams - instead of listening to the advice of Disney Interactive which hobbled the Infinity project, thus not being able to meet internal projections ... I think I may of *ahem*

WDW1974

Original Poster
So basically you're seeing exactly what he wants you to see, that he's a humbled man who has risen above the cut-throat politics of corporate America.

The image of Michael Eisner presented to the public when he was at Disney was always very different to the reality, he's always been good at that so I'm not surprised he gives you that impression.

The real Michael Eisner is the person who implemented "Project Snowball" to ensure that Jeffrey Katzenberg didn't receive the money he was rightly entitled to from Disney. The real Michael Eisner allowed his best friend Michael Ovitz to walk into an ambush when he joined the Walt Disney Company, an ambush facilitated by Michael Eisner because he had decided he really didn't want to share power with anyone after all, including his long-time friend. The real Michael Eisner sent David Stainton into Walt Disney Animation to cut costs and lay off hundreds of employees in retribution for the animators voicing their support for the SaveDisney campaign. The real Michael Eisner and his rampaging ego annihilated the hugely successful relationship between Disney and Pixar.

People like Michael Eisner don't change, there is no Eisner 1.0 or 2.0, he's exactly the same man he was when he walked into Disney, the only difference being then he had Frank Wells to be a conduit between the CEO and the rest of the company and keep his ego in check.

Eisner didn't just burn bridges during his time at Disney, he napalmed them. There is no way back for him at that company and that is the way it should be.

I don't want or intend to have this discussion here and now, but I will say that you paint only one side of the picture and a tainted and PR-tinged one (not that plenty of it isn't at the least partially true). Sure he had a large ego. You really think Frank didn't? How about Roy? (all rhetorical)

The real Michael Eisner was -- and remains -- the best thing that happened to TWDC after Walt's death. But if you want to have a discussion on ME's merits and flaws I'd rather you did it in another thread, perhaps I'll take part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom