The Spirited Sixth Sense ...

JimboJones123

tissandtullyPlayhouse 923926 said:
Aww, the Disney Jr. show is fun especially with kids, the only part I hate is that the floor they make you sit on is super hard concrete. I'll be happy to see LMA go.
I miss the original Playhouse Disney show.

Stanley RULES!

JimboJones123

Oswald saw a major resurgence with the release of the Epic Mickey video game (and its sequel) which released in 2010, but had some buzz going on back in 2009. That game was Oswald's first appearance since 1943. So, going on that momentum, Disney decided to start marketing the character. And why not? A new crop of 'fans' emerged, even people that never touched the video game. Because the game led to news stories, and people googling the footnote and fans can grab onto what used to be a footnote and feel superior, like they are more in-the-know than someone who just likes Mickey Mouse. It's hipster culture.
That said, Oswalds shorts are pretty great, and yes I've actually seen them.
And the Walt Disney Treasures release...

ThemeParkJunkee

Yay! Another Spirited thread to keep up with! Welcome back WDW 1974 aka Mr. Spirit.. (yes I know it is already page 13 but I had to read it first). Somehow I knew you would name the thread something like this.

I have missed the intelligent speculation, scathing commentary, blatant sarcasm and revealing observations revealed in a Spirited Thread.

andyman8

This is just something coming off the top of my head (no backing whatsoever pure imagination) but what if Disney took a Star Tours 2-like approach to the new Soarin' film where they filmed quite a few scenes of various landmarks and spectacular sights of the world (there are quite a few!) individually and randomly choose say 6 per showing. While more expensive, it might address the complaint that the attraction is a one-and-done kinda ride. That said, with it averaging waits of 70 to 80 minutes daily, would more re-rideability even be a good thing.

P.S. Totally unrelated, but some CMs are saying that PUSH's last day might be Saturday at MK. Say it ain't so?

truecoat

Even the highest capacity attractions are seldom going to be able to accommodate every visitor in the park; Not everyone in the MK can ride Space Mountain either, but not everyone wants to and - more importantly - there are plenty of other choices.

Building additional family-friendly attractions will reduce demand for Toy Story Mania, and provide more attractions in a park severely lacking in rides. Same holds true for Soarin' over in Future World. Merely building another copy of an existing attractions gives us nothing new.

If they are intending on building another soaring building, they should build it first. Then you close one of the existing rides for remodel while running both Soaring over Cali and Soaring over the World. When that one is done, do the other. Problem solved.

PeterAlt

Again, he could have done that the first time around. Instead he gave his best buddy Michael Ovitz a job, decided he'd made a mistake pretty much straight away and then conspired with his cronies to oust Ovitz a little more than a year later at the cost of millions to the company.

Eisner would never contemplate a "passing of the torch" which is why the company found itself in the precarious situation it did. Not only did he not want to share power, he didn't want to put a succession plan in place. He eventually bowed to pressure and agreed to promote his loyal lieutenant Bob Iger who had the good sense to distance himself from Eisner at the right time to position himself for the top job.

There are very few Frank Well equivalents in the sense that he and Eisner were lightning in a bottle, the years they were in charge were just incredible and full of exciting, almost limitless possibilities. The day Wells died was the day that everything began to go wrong for both Eisner and the company and there is simply no way back from where it ended.

And yet while the Ovitz debacle was playing out, Eisner had an ideal candidate to replace Wells under his nose. But Steve Burke was ignored and left Disney in 1998 for Comcast where he has been doing a pretty good job ever since.

Eisner ain't coming back to Disney, its just not going to happen.
I just read the first two paragraphs, but I'll go back and read the rest after I type this. You are basing everything on Eisner 1.0. Just like Jobs, when you've been away for a while, you have time to reflect and grow. Jobs was completely rehabilitated and changed when he returned. I suspect the same would be true for Eisner.

Goofyernmost

I have a Facebook friend who works at TDS. About a year or so ago, she posted that TSMM had an EIGHT HOUR WAIT and a short time later, she posted a photo of the line stretching down the street. How could anyone in their right mind try to justify blowing an entire day waiting for one ride?
I suppose we could blame it on Disney... most will, but, I suspect that it has more to do with a lower IQ or the inability to say NO to their children that would cause that to happen.

lazyboy97o

I have a Facebook friend who works at TDS. About a year or so ago, she posted that TSMM had an EIGHT HOUR WAIT and a short time later, she posted a photo of the line stretching down the street. How could anyone in their right mind try to justify blowing an entire day waiting for one ride?
That sort of patience and determination seems to be relatively common occurrence at the Tokyo Disney Resort, especially for what ever is the newest. Given the high price of annual passes combined with the popularity of the season parades and shows, I can see where even a year later an attraction would still be seen as brand new (and it doesn't hurt that pride in maintenance keeps it looking as such).

FrankLapidus

I just read the first two paragraphs, but I'll go back and read the rest after I type this. You are basing everything on Eisner 1.0. Just like Jobs, when you've been away for a while, you have time to reflect and grow. Jobs was completely rehabilitated and changed when he returned. I suspect the same would be true for Eisner.

There is no Eisner 1.0, there is one Michael Eisner and he isn't Steve Jobs.

I find it ironic you keep comparing the two when the breakdown between Disney and Jobs/Pixar played a major role in ousting Eisner, who Jobs swore never to work with. How exactly would it work having Michael Eisner back as CEO with John Lasseter and Ed Catmull in charge of Disney Animation after the implosion of the Disney/Pixar relationship during Eisner's tenure?

There is no rehabilitation, Eisner had his time and blew it, there are far too many bridges burned for there to ever be a way back for him at Disney.

He did great things when he had Frank Wells to reign him in but he came to see Disney at his own personal clubhouse; those who pandered to him and his paranoid delusions, Bob Iger and Jay Rasulo among them, prospered while talented executives like Steve Burke slipped through the net. Much of what is wrong with the Walt Disney Company today began with Michael Eisner.

Egos like his don't "reflect and grow", they fester and hope for an opportunity to get even. His time is done and should remain where it is, firmly in the past.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I suppose we could blame it on Disney... most will, but, I suspect that it has more to do with a lower IQ or the inability to say NO to their children that would cause that to happen.

It's definitely a Japanese thing because its new and it's important to maintain face by seeing the 'new' attraction I can definitely see spending a whole day, Also remember AP's are very common at DisneySea.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Recall that Jobs v1 had a rampaging ego which almost destroyed Apple at the time much like late Eisner, It might take Eisner 2.0 to turn company around along with a strong operations guy on the business side to play Wells role.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom