The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

CDavid

While we are at it, let's all jump into our time machines and flash back to 1952. Seriously, accept that times change and work with it. It will probably, at some point in time, come full circle. In the meantime, wear your long pants, white shirts, and sport coats along with a narrow black tie and go to the parks. I think you will realize really quickly why that isn't done anymore.

I do believe that reason should be used in what can be worn in public, but, those are pretty easy to distinguish.

Just because you disagree with a suggestion made on the forums is no reason to make fun of the idea. Nobody has suggested wearing dress pants and shirts with sport coats to the parks (save to a few select restaurants, where that is appropriate) or dressing in styles of several generations ago. I can't speak for @the.dreamfinder , but there is nothing wrong with expecting and requiring reasonable standards of dress in the parks (which you also advocate, above).

People just don't need to be walking around with offensive slogans on their clothing or shorts which are so short their rear end is hanging out the bottom. Speaking only for myself, a set of general guidelines of dress is certainly appropriate for a Disney theme park; While 'reason' should be enough and people ought to know what they should or shouldn't expose to the public, judging by what we see in the parks (and elsewhere!) anymore many people apparently don't know these things. We don't need to be silly about it or go overboard with rules, but yes, a dress code would be completely appropriate.

Cesar R M

Like I said, Heat in six ... but I don't see them winning tonight. Spurs will be pumped on homecourt.

BTW, and I don't want a massive sports thread, but isn't it interesting that almost always you see the top two teams in the NBA make the Finals (and the top four in the Conference Finals)? How many times do you see a team that was just very good make the Super Bowl? Or the Stanley Cup Finals?

this is very usual in football too.. Like Barcelona vs Real Madrid duopoly.

Goofyernmost

Just because you disagree with a suggestion made on the forums is no reason to make fun of the idea. Nobody has suggested wearing dress pants and shirts with sport coats to the parks (save to a few select restaurants, where that is appropriate) or dressing in styles of several generations ago. I can't speak for @the.dreamfinder , but there is nothing wrong with expecting and requiring reasonable standards of dress in the parks (which you also advocate, above).

People just don't need to be walking around with offensive slogans on their clothing or shorts which are so short their rear end is hanging out the bottom. Speaking only for myself, a set of general guidelines of dress is certainly appropriate for a Disney theme park; While 'reason' should be enough and people ought to know what they should or shouldn't expose to the public, judging by what we see in the parks (and elsewhere!) anymore many people apparently don't know these things. We don't need to be silly about it or go overboard with rules, but yes, a dress code would be completely appropriate.
Surprisingly, to you, I agree totally. But that isn't the way it was presented was it? Restaurants should not be semi-formal, but, appropriate wear OK. That includes shorts... this is Florida and these people are on vacation, but no T's and no damn hats (take off the damn hats... get some culture for gods sake). Polo shirts would be OK. And as a side note... no obscenities of any sort should ever be allowed anyplace. Restaurants or Theme Parks. One of the more upsetting things about today's society is that extreme lack of class.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Surprisingly, to you, I agree totally. But that isn't the way it was presented was it? Restaurants should not be semi-formal, but, appropriate wear OK. That includes shorts... this is Florida and these people are on vacation, but no T's and no damn hats (take off the damn hats... get some culture for gods sake). Polo shirts would be OK. And as I side note... no obscenities of any sort should ever be allowed anyplace. Restaurants or Theme Parks. One of the more upsetting things about today's society is that extreme lack of class.

I think with a dress code you have to shoot higher than your desired goal because people will always break the rules. If you have a dress code of business casual or jackets for men preferred people will still wear shorts, but maybe think twice about the tank top and throw on a nice collared golf shirt.

Is anyone else amazed at what you can say on TV these days? There are very few words anymore that are taboo even on network tv.

Omnispace

Yes you're right. ATIS did end up going from free to a ticket attraction. I had forgotten about that change. I remember ATIS from the late 1960's when it was free. When they started charging for ATIS I avoided it after that time because I'm cheap! :p

It's probably good you didn't go on ATIS after that -- it seemed to really go downhill in maintenance after the loss of Monsanto's sponsorship. In fact, I think it's the first time visiting Disneyland that I really felt deeply disappointed about the upkeep of one of their attractions. ATIS always had some difficulty with maintenance -- the foam snowflakes were within easy reach of the Atommobiles -- but it seemed to get worse over time till the scrims were torn, effects weren't working, and I recall one instance where the entire crystalline lattice scene wasn't lit. As a result, guests didn't take it seriously -- an instance of the "broken window" theory. Fortunately, nothing I have experienced since has been as bad.

maxairmike

For places like the Brown Derby I think proper golf attire would be a great minimum of dress expectations. It is both comfortable and looks good, and can be done for cheap (polos and khaki shorts at Old Navy), so no reason to complain about it being over-dressing to enjoy your day in the park. As to more general dress for the parks, I really wish they would say something about gapping cut-offs (i.e. the entire side of the shirt is missing, regular sleeveless is ok, not preferable, but ok) and "wife beaters." Unfortunately they'd have a rough go of policing all the words they'd probably like to, given the garden variety of such shirts sold by Nike at the outlets that everyone loves to wear, especially the South American tourists.

StageFrenzy

He definitely has had several articles like this that are all variations on the same idea. I know he's used that Rodney King line before in such an article.

With that said, I still think Kevin Yee is the most well-spoken and balanced Walt Disney World critique-blogger. I don't think it's so much a matter of him 'losing it,' as it probably is growing tired of the criticism he receives from both sides of the fan community. Given his position as an influencer, a wide array of people read his articles, and any given article that he writes causes at least one segment of fans to vocally criticize him because they disagree with what he has to say. I wouldn't be surprised if his recent attempts to show that he is the 'rational middle ground' are partly written (as you say) out of a desire to placate. Some people can handle (or even enjoy) being a lightning rod for criticism. Other people can't handle constant criticism of everything they do. I'd certainly prefer for more of an edge one way or the other, but I think the quality of his posts remains high.

If @KevinYee tries to stay where he is at now he is just peeving off both sides. If he wants to continue to be a leading voice for the Disney fan community, he needs to pick his standards for the parks and if Disney fails to live up to them call them out. Stop trying to placate people, continue to write passionately and logically about the parks, ignore the haters. At the end of the day; the yeti is still broken, future world is a mess, 7DMT looks very nice if too short. That is the drum he should be pounding relentlessly.

Rteetz

Talking about bloggers and podcasters, I recently came across a soundbite in the podcast done by the DISboards people, it's called DISunplugged which I found very curious and I thought @WDW1974 might like to listen to despite his negative opinion about podcasts. It's the May 6 show. To make it easy, the relevant soundbite starts at around 25:49 and only goes to 26:50. The thing they are talking about is how Disney controls access so that only those will get access to media events who are purely positive about Disney.

Here is the video version of the show:

I listen to that podcast regularly to me its the best one out there. Pete and the rest of them do a great job they are honest and Pete says Disney doesn't always like what they do like what they are talking about in this particular episode.

Nubs70

Surprisingly, to you, I agree totally. But that isn't the way it was presented was it? Restaurants should not be semi-formal, but, appropriate wear OK. That includes shorts... this is Florida and these people are on vacation, but no T's and no damn hats (take off the damn hats... get some culture for gods sake). Polo shirts would be OK. And as a side note... no obscenities of any sort should ever be allowed anyplace. Restaurants or Theme Parks. One of the more upsetting things about today's society is that extreme lack of class.
Maybe class covers it but I see it as respect. Respect for yourself, Respect for the institution you are visiting, and Respect for others around you.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited NBA Finals Musings:

OK, so I was right about tonight's game ... but how the hell do you let the AC die in Game 1 of the NBA Finals? Bad all around ...

Is it just me or in the week I've been back has anyone seen a noticeable uptick in passive aggressive behavior? If you have something to say to me ... or anyone ... just say it. This other crap should stick to private conversations or the Twitverse.

Speaking of conversations, while I have caught up in emails, I have 24 PMs here when last I checked. I will respond, but right now I only have time to either post/chat or answer PMs and I'm doing what I feel is more important.

Was the big news of the day the All Star Music food court redo? Or did some folks actually start a social media deal about Marvel villains appearing at the 8/23 event at WDW?

Any of you notice the new B Hotel Resort opening in the WDW Hotel Plaza? Looks to be quite upscale and nice. C'mon, the Lifestyler briage must be getting free nights to pimp the property.

Another day, another campus shooting in the USA and the fact is most folks don't give a damn. We should all have the right to carry 432 guns. Sure.

Someone sent me a Tweet that I can't seem to find, so I can't credit it to whomever said it, but they basically said that WDW fans largely don't give a damn at all about Marvel characters, but just don't want UNI to be able to use them. NAILED IT!

I am not nearly as psyched for Season 2 of Under the Dome as I was last summer for the first go around.

Yes, Disney fans, it is true. The only park opening a major $200 million attraction this year is the Disney Studios Paris. REALLY!

Am I fighting a losing battle? Well, it all depends on what battle you are referring to?

Billy makes on fine sandwich at the local Publix deli. He deserves a shout out since that thing hit the spot and was perfect NBA Finals watching food.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom