The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I just did. Seemed very milquetoast. Gnashers versus foamers seems sorta simplistic to me. So Yee is the wise man in the middle. Cool.

Funny. I used that same word to describe Kevin in a conversation I had out west. I feel bad saying it. I have hung out with Kevin. He is nice and intelligent and thoughtful ... but he seems to be stuck in this role. And while it was fine when the online community was smaller (no FB, no Twitter, every fanboi and bored housewife didn't have blogs), it just doesn't seem to be a recipe for success today.

Fanbois have no use for him. Disney still hates anyone having anything to do with that site. Some might say if everyone is mad at you that you are being fair and balanced, but that isn't how I view it.

You don't have to be a "gnasher" to say the value of WDW entertainment has dropped over the past 15 years.

Just like you don't have to be a "foamer" to say that SDMT looks like a nice, short ride.

What was the point of his article, that everyone should play nice?

It has.

It does.

Yeah, I think so.

I
Re: Heat/Spurs. I just hope it's as competitive as last year. Miami's playoff series have been snoozers so far this year.

I sorta vacationed through almost all of the playoffs (no, they weren't available on the Wonder, and, no, I didn't look for games while in Anaheim). I'm just glad the two best teams and the two best organizations in the league are playing for all the marbles.

WDW1974

Original Poster
He definitely has had several articles like this that are all variations on the same idea. I know he's used that Rodney King line before in such an article.

With that said, I still think Kevin Yee is the most well-spoken and balanced Walt Disney World critique-blogger. I don't think it's so much a matter of him 'losing it,' as it probably is growing tired of the criticism he receives from both sides of the fan community. Given his position as an influencer, a wide array of people read his articles, and any given article that he writes causes at least one segment of fans to vocally criticize him because they disagree with what he has to say. I wouldn't be surprised if his recent attempts to show that he is the 'rational middle ground' are partly written (as you say) out of a desire to placate. Some people can handle (or even enjoy) being a lightning rod for criticism. Other people can't handle constant criticism of everything they do. I'd certainly prefer for more of an edge one way or the other, but I think the quality of his posts remains high.

I'm not sure he's much of an influencer at all anymore. Dare I say that you may well have far more influence in today's social media landscape as Kev? Disney pays him no respect. And, as I've said, most fans think he goes easy on the Mouse because of his professed desire to be fair.

It's a hard wire to balance on. I'd say it's damn near impossible. The best thing Kevin ever did was come up with Declining By Degrees because it so perfectly encapsulated what was happening at WDW (what I termed Walmarting, what his co-hort Al Lutz said was partially the result of Defenders of Mediocrity) ... If you put your ideas, thoughts and opinions out to an audience, then you have to have very thick skin. I don't mind criticism or people disagreeing. The death threats, people attempting to out me and folks lying about me would be something else. But, yeah, you have to be able to take legit criticism and laugh off the crazy stuff.

I really do see you in the same sort of mode that Kevin is in. I don't know how well it will serve you over the long run. Do I believe you are honest in your opinions? Yes (we've had this discussion in private a few times). But your love for the Asian parks, which I share, will only make the folks in Celebration Place/TDO happy so long as you also like $48 Star Wars breakfasts and upcharge events. The reality is one can't be a TDR Lifestyler while living in the USA and Disney cares about its domestic product most of all (certainly far more than over a resort that they don't even own one percent of). I don't know what your tipping point would have to be to start telling your flock that they should stay away from WDW. ... I know I can't in good conscience tell people they should take WDW vacations any more. I am not like a handful of friends who have totally given up on the place. But I would tell people to take Florida vacations and visit Cape Canaveral and Busch Gardens and Aquatica and, obviously, UNI and IOA (which you still haven't done) and maybe do 2-3 days of WDW parks or, perhaps, just the great water parks. But I don't have a blog devoted to Disney travel.

At some point, you have to be quite pointed. Kevin may have been before, but has decided against that. And I believe that's why he is viewed as largely irrelevant. Someone should strike out aggressively from the blogosphere for being blacklisted or denied access because they deviate from the corporate talking points, but no one does. Really, though, once the company has turned its back on you because you dared give your audience an honest assessment that paints the company in less than glowing terms what exactly do you have to lose? When even folks from the DISBoards crowd are tired of spinning precisely what Disney wants (like a script ... like Aswad does), that just speaks volumes.

PhotoDave219

Spirited NBA Finals Musings:

OK, so I was right about tonight's game ... but how the hell do you let the AC die in Game 1 of the NBA Finals? Bad all around ...

Is it just me or in the week I've been back has anyone seen a noticeable uptick in passive aggressive behavior? If you have something to say to me ... or anyone ... just say it. This other crap should stick to private conversations or the Twitverse.

Speaking of conversations, while I have caught up in emails, I have 24 PMs here when last I checked. I will respond, but right now I only have time to either post/chat or answer PMs and I'm doing what I feel is more important.

Was the big news of the day the All Star Music food court redo? Or did some folks actually start a social media deal about Marvel villains appearing at the 8/23 event at WDW?

Any of you notice the new B Hotel Resort opening in the WDW Hotel Plaza? Looks to be quite upscale and nice. C'mon, the Lifestyler briage must be getting free nights to pimp the property.

Another day, another campus shooting in the USA and the fact is most folks don't give a damn. We should all have the right to carry 432 guns. Sure.

Someone sent me a Tweet that I can't seem to find, so I can't credit it to whomever said it, but they basically said that WDW fans largely don't give a damn at all about Marvel characters, but just don't want UNI to be able to use them. NAILED IT!

I am not nearly as psyched for Season 2 of Under the Dome as I was last summer for the first go around.

Yes, Disney fans, it is true. The only park opening a major $200 million attraction this year is the Disney Studios Paris. REALLY!

Am I fighting a losing battle? Well, it all depends on what battle you are referring to?

Billy makes on fine sandwich at the local Publix deli. He deserves a shout out since that thing hit the spot and was perfect NBA Finals watching food.

At least it was a dry heat.

Passive aggressiveness? No more than usual. Lots of people being snarky.

So this entire Marvel Villians crap came out of someone referring to a keyword in Search Engine Optimization. Now I know these bloggers arent remotely near professional journalists, letalone NYT quality, but holy crap. Thats a new low. That even surpasses the "George Lucas/Bob Iger at May the Fourth" crap. Whats next, they start reports based from fortune cookies?

I have friends that work near this latest campus shooting. Messed up that the country refuses to discuss it.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Because, of course, Tunesia has a perfectly spotless record when it comes to human rights.

I didn't realize we were talking about Tunesia. The point is now and where TWDC is choosing to film parts of the new Star Wars film and why they are. There are plenty of places with terrible human rights problems. I don't see Disney rushing to Yemen or the Sudan.

What they have chosen to do is negotiate a deal with the government of the UAE to film in Abu Dhabi and thereby prop up that region's tourism industry by attaching Disney/Star Wars, which gives the region a friendly spin. A region where one can be arrested and brutalized for merely having 'weed residue' on a shoe (not someone entering a country, someone changing planes in an airport).

PhotoDave219

I didn't realize we were talking about Tunesia. The point is now and where TWDC is choosing to film parts of the new Star Wars film and why they are. There are plenty of places with terrible human rights problems. I don't see Disney rushing to Yemen or the Sudan.

What they have chosen to do is negotiate a deal with the government of the UAE to film in Abu Dhabi and thereby prop up that region's tourism industry by attaching Disney/Star Wars, which gives the region a friendly spin. A region where one can be arrested and brutalized for merely having 'weed residue' on a shoe (not someone entering a country, someone changing planes in an airport).

I had no idea they were filming in Abu Dhabi. (link for those who dunno where that is) Right on the Persian Gulf. Holy crap. I cant see anything good coming from that. What was wrong with Tunisia? Aside from being next to the wild wild world of Libya.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Somehow I missed a few pages of the discussion, not sure how ... but ...

I hope that committment includes smoothing-out Ghost Rider, which is probably the most excruciatingly painful roller coaster on the planet!

That I don't know. I have never ridden it. I wanted to years ago, but either rain or closures prevented that. And then about seven years ago, I just gave up riding wooden coasters. I don't have back or neck issues, but I easily wind up hurting both. I had neck pain last week from sleeping on my pillow the wrong way! Must be getting old or something ...

It's absolutely horrendous. Add to that the security line, which everyone must go through whether or not they have a bag.

That's always been an issue for me. But those second scans that are simply folks with iPhones were too much. It wasn't a long wait ... maybe an extra four minutes on average. But it annoyed the hell out of me.

Those lines make it so easy to get throught the parks on even the busiest of days. I wish they could find a way to add one to Space Mountain...it constantly dispatches with less-than-full vehicles. I remember going quite a bit after work last summer when I had a trial in Southern California, and the parks were packed. But in the four or five hours I was there, I was able to hit-up every E-ticket. It was great!

Yep. Single Rider lines are MAGICal. One day Splash Mountain was at 110 minutes. We simply walked on ...repeatedly if I recall correctly. I don't get why WDW doesn't have them. There was supposed to be one for Soarin when it opened, but they never wound up using it. I think the whole concept is too confusing for WDW's ops folks.

This is my biggest complaint about Disneyland Park. The rides go down frequently. I had one trip where they went down in succession, which meant I was going from ride to ride for almost two hours but not actually getting on anything because they would go down. Finally I had enough and went to City Hall, where I was given some FPs for my trouble. I had calmed down, so I decided to head over to Splash Mountain, and guess what? It went down as I walked over to the single rider entrance! I had to leave. At that point I was livid. There is just no excuse for that. People can trash Six Flags all they want, but when I worked at the park near Chicago, my coasters went down maybe three times over the course of a week. Disney's attractions seem to go down three times a day!

I can tell you that when I lived out there part time, it was not like that. It also hasn't been my experience largely from say 2008-2012. But it sure was this trip. We actually took advantage of it more than it hurt us just through timing. But it was annoying when it bit us (once on RSRs, once on Indy). And looking at the weekly Micechat pics of the wait boards, it is clearly a regular issue now. I'm not sure why those guys haven't written about it, but they should.

Really? I didn't think it was anything special. I thought Carthay Circle was better.

Really. Phenomenal food, wine and service. And that has always been the case. Carthay, which I didn't do this time but wound up dining at three times on my last visit, is good but not in Napa's class.

I have never had a meal there that was less than "I wish I was at WDW, so then I could get away with licking the plate'' good!

It's funny because when I wear my Universal or Six Flags jackets, no one bats an eye. When I wear something WDW-related, the CMs look offended. LOL

Many CMs haven't been to WDW and they take pride in where they work and sorta wonder what the fuss is over their expansive sibling in the swamps.

Oh wow, Wonder Boy just made 'This Week in Unnecessary Censorship' on Kimmel ... I'll never hear the end of this!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
The mommy bloggers are a slightly different beast. They were somebody's pet project (AFAIK) at Disney and got invited to a lot of things they shouldn't have been.

And they are huge in Disney's collective minds. They were Laura's pet project and she built them up and when she was shown the door, Gary just picked them up.

(BTW, I truly believe if you gave the guy 3-4 adult (non-WDW) drinks that he might tell you what he really thinks of playing leader of that group of misfit mommies!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Still waiting for the last bill from my daughter's wedding in May so I can tally up the total cost - it felt like I was hemorrhaging cash! And the start date on my kitchen redo is in August - just paid the first draw. And finally, my youngest has one more year of college. So no, no big trips this year.

But a trip to Oxford, England (my daughter and son-in-law's new home) is definitely in the planning stages.

Late congrats on the wedding! They are expensive (why I don't get why some folks feel the need to do it 4-5-6 times!) And the kitchen ... my Faux Top One Percent kitchen is still largely stuck in the late 90s.

Oxford is a WONDERful place, oozes history and academics. I read there ... I also had my first (and only) Krispy Kreme donut there while hearing all about STD prevention amongst the gay community ahead of the 2012 Olympics. Fun Times!!!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Maybe class covers it but I see it as respect. Respect for yourself, Respect for the institution you are visiting, and Respect for others around you.

No one has respect for themselves, anyone else or anything else today ...

And I just refuse to accept boors acting boorish 'because' ... that's the 'new normal' crap and it covers everything from people getting slaughtered in mass shootings to the government spying on us to people dressed like pigs at the California Grill.

I may be fighting for the rest of my life, but I won't accept the status quo just because it is easy and lazy and will make far more people happy.

DisneyDad1977

I had no idea they were filming in Abu Dhabi. (link for those who dunno where that is) Right on the Persian Gulf. Holy crap. I cant see anything good coming from that. What was wrong with Tunisia? Aside from being next to the wild wild world of Libya.
I believe that Tunisia is still considered unstable following that whole awesomely de-stabilizing Arab Spring thing.

PhotoDave219

Her name is vaguely familiar.

But moving from the Olive Garden and Red Lobster to WDW sounds like an even trade!

Its my impression that she's not familiar with the issues surrounding the resort at the moment. I can think of a few independent people that would be a better choice, but I dout they would want to take whatever peanuts the Sentinel is offering.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom