The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
You are sharp to notice the attire. Anyone who has been to Tokyo knows they dress to impress there, including a day at Disneyland. Dressing nicely is a sign of respect to both yourself and your hosts, although the Americans schlepping through life in XXL basketball shorts and flip-flops would tell you that's old fashioned and uptight (unless you've never left America in your life and think a date night at a Darden Corporation restaurant is really living).

Yes, the woman a half-step behind the man (admittedly in a sepia-toned retro remembrance of 50 years ago) is a very traditional Japanese view of gender roles. But I'm sure people can value the diversity of other cultures when they see that. Notice that the young couples in the video are 21st century equals, however.

Anyone who has ever been to Tokyo Disneyland knows how perfectly typical this video is, and yet what a shocking reminder of how low the standards for Disney theme parks in America have fallen. On both coasts.

Like I said in a post a few back, many American park-goers would be VERY uncomfortable visiting a park with expectations and standards. One day I went to TDS with dress pants and shirt and my $2,000 shoes (no, I didn't pay that ... yes, that's what they retailed for) on because I was out of clothes and wasn't wearing sneakers with that outfit. I was in no way overdressed. ... I have dressed similarly during winter nights when I have had a nice dinner at an EPCOT resort and then gone to the park. When that happens I stand out bigtime and people assume I am some expense account conventioneer staying at the Swan who has no idea that PJ pants and wifebeaters are more standard attire!

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

Like I said in a post a few back, many American park-goers would be VERY uncomfortable visiting a park with expectations and standards. One day I went to TDS with dress pants and shirt and my $2,000 shoes (no, I didn't pay that ... yes, that's what they retailed for) on because I was out of clothes and wasn't wearing sneakers with that outfit. I was in no way overdressed. ... I have dressed similarly during winter nights when I have had a nice dinner at an EPCOT resort and then gone to the park. When that happens I stand out bigtime and people assume I am some expense account conventioneer staying at the Swan who has no idea that PJ pants and wifebeater are more standard attire!

Fun story you (and maybe @TP2000) would like: Our family always left MGM to go back to the room and change before eating at Brown Derby because, well, you just don't go to a place like Brown Derby in t-shirts and shorts.

I also remember being in MK in dress pants and shoes after a meal at Jiko. Felt a little out of place, but I wanted to squeeze in a few rides during the last park operating hour after dinner. :)

Magenta Panther

Like I said in a post a few back, many American park-goers would be VERY uncomfortable visiting a park with expectations and standards. One day I went to TDS with dress pants and shirt and my $2,000 shoes (no, I didn't pay that ... yes, that's what they retailed for) on because I was out of clothes and wasn't wearing sneakers with that outfit. I was in no way overdressed. ... I have dressed similarly during winter nights when I have had a nice dinner at an EPCOT resort and then gone to the park. When that happens I stand out bigtime and people assume I am some expense account conventioneer staying at the Swan who has no idea that PJ pants and wifebeater are more standard attire!

Thank you for dressing. Seriously. I have seen too many profane T-shirts at WDW. The last time I visited, there was this elderly man in front of me as I walked through the Castle on the way to Philharmagic. And he had a FILTHY word on the back of his T-shirt. A senior citizen! I couldn't believe it. Way to swag it, Grandpa. :p

WDW1974

Original Poster
I have different memories of TDL.

Sure, there were some people who were dressed up; perhaps 5-10% of the guests, I guess. (One wonders how they are going to do a day in a hot, crowded theme park in those shoes.) The rest of the guests were dressed quite casually.

Beyond that, my memories of the guests were as follows:
  • People are rude. A trip to TDL is a day where people bump into you all day pretty much nonstop without every recognizing the fact. If you crash onto someone, acknowledge it.
  • People are rude. Umbrellas in crowded theme parks are not good ideas, but if you are going to try to use one, mind other people's heads. If you hit someone with your umbrella, acknowledge it.

I have seen both of the above. It's not considered rude in Japan. It's part of the culture. ... Sorta like passing gas while in a queue in someone's face is just part of good old USA culture.

No, I don't like either. I have to accept them, though.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm not sure about that. I think it had more to do with the typical amusement park ticket system at the time. The "bigger" more thrilling, or more intricate (expensive to build) attractions took more tickets. The mild, plainer ones took fewer. You could buy them at 10 cents each, or 12/$1, 25/$2 or 100/$5.

At my local park, the roller coaster, Haunted House, and other more elaborate rides etc took 4 or 5 tickets. Ferris Wheel, Satellite, Flying Fish, Octopus etc took 3 or 4, Whip, Fun House, Bumper Cars, etc took 2 or 3, and Kiddie Rides, train, etc, took 1. Tickets were 10 cents each. The more exciting the ride, the more tickets. Unless you went on dollar day - typically the first day of summer vacation. All you could ride from noon -6, and special prices for food.

So Walt devised a numerical system, and broke it down further. An E ticket would be equal to 5 tickets, etc. But I don't think you could buy individual tickets - you had to purchase a booklet with the assorted tickets? I'm sure one of the experts has more info.

Actually, you could buy individual tickets. That's why every land had ticket booths. I think the only one remaining is the Tomorrowland one, which is now a DVC sales kiosk.

We always had B-Tickets leftover (even now, I have dozens and dozens) for some reason, yet I recall hitting the parents up to buy us another ride on C-D-E Tix. I vividly recall me having a Spirited meltdown until I got another Fantasyland dark ride on one early trip!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Part of this may depend upon what time of year you visit, but my experiences at Tokyo Disney Resort (especially Tokyo DisneySea) couldn't be further from this.

For starters, kids and teens often wear their school uniforms to the parks as a sign of pride, and these school uniforms are usually reminiscent of New England prep school outfits. Try to find kids dressed like this in the US parks.

During the spring/summer season, I observed fewer guests dressed in school uniforms or business attire (e.g., suits and dresses), but people were generally well-dressed (excepting for those guests who dress as characters or in "interesting" character-motiffs--a small minority).

During Christmas-date season, almost every guest was sharply dressed, and I'd wager that 30%+ were wearing suits, sport coats, or dresses. Of course, all of these outfits were paired with ridiculous novelty hats, but those hats actually work as a 'whimsical touch' when the rest of your outfit looks nice.

My wife and I both felt very under-dressed during our Christmas visit, and we aren't the 'XXL and gym shorts' type of guests.

I've also never experienced anything close to rudeness by other guests, unless you want to count the morning run for FastPasses, but that's not rudeness, it's just good sport! ;)

You and the Mrs. always look like the perfect All-American heartland couple as if dressed by Ralph Lauren, himself ... well, except for those socks on a certain anniversary day!:D

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

WDW1974

Original Poster
No, you didn't. But I think it was in reference to Jason Surrell (aka 2Manhattans, aka fan of the forum) taking down his Twitter. Shocking, huh?

Surrell has behaved like someone seriously unhinged. It hasn't gone unnoticed by his employer, either. I'd fire his . I've never really been sure of what his alleged talent is. ... But Disney only fires folks at his level if they steal from the company or engage in improper behavior with minors (although if someone committed multiple murders they might lose their job too ... not positive though!)

I think the fact he has basically been neutered on Star Wars projects by Trrowbridge and Mangum may just be behind all the online insanity.

I have heard that Jason Grandt has basically stopped posting ... I know Alex Wright and Andy Sinclair-Harris are all in that Twit Clique too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom