The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

culturenthrills

No, nothing new.

But I did hear rumblings of the boat ride opening a year or more after the rest of Pandora to drag out costs and give them more to hype.

Either Jim Hill heard the same thing or he 'borrowed' the idea from here.

This IS Disney's MO.

You would think they would learn from Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley and even their own Carsland that you open it all at once. You wow them, you don't open up piece by piece. So stupid. :banghead:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I'm inclined to agree with you, although I certainly wish he would -- it would be great to watch him desperately trying to appear "hip" and "relevant." Plus there might be a clue as to whom his successor might be if he names Staggs or Rasulo in his challenge.

The single MOST effective management technique is the old HP MBWA 'Management by wandering around' the show 'Undercover Boss' shows how CEO's have found huge problems with their organization by actually BEING a lowly line employee for a while

Middle managers tend to hide problems from their bosses, It's why Walt insisted his managers BE in the parks on a regular basis and why Eisner himself took on CM duties periodically.

The Weatherman - not so much.

CDavid

You would think they would learn from Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley and even their own Carsland that you open it all at once. You wow them, you don't open up piece by piece. So stupid. :banghead:

Indeed, and I thought it had even been discussed here that Disney had supposedly recognized the value of opening an entire land at once and the resulting 'splash'.

However, Avatar is no Harry Potter, nor is it even a Carsland. It isn't going to make quite as large an impact (Star Wars will, but I digress) no matter how well its done. Rather, the greatest benefit to Pandora may simply be to make a park sorely lacking in attractions more of a whole-day experience, and for that purpose there is less of a need to debut everything at once, and even some incentive to get portions open as soon as possible.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Indeed, and I thought it had even been discussed here that Disney had supposedly recognized the value of opening an entire land at once and the resulting 'splash'.

However, Avatar is no Harry Potter, nor is it even a Carsland. It isn't going to make quite as large an impact (Star Wars will, but I digress) no matter how well its done. Rather, the greatest benefit to Pandora may simply be to make a park sorely lacking in attractions more of a whole-day experience, and for that purpose there is less of a need to debut everything at once, and even some incentive to get portions open as soon as possible.

They could have done so much with a 'National Parks' theme in the old CMM, I'm just underwhelmed with 'Pandora' because it breaks the overall theme of the park. The Americas and Australia are not represented in the AK park and there are certainly lots of interesting animals in those continents.

Not some imaginary extraterrestrial ferngully.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
They could have done so much with a 'National Parks' theme in the old CMM, I'm just underwhelmed with 'Pandora' because it breaks the overall theme of the park. The Americas and Australia are not represented in the AK park and there are certainly lots of interesting animals in those continents.

Not some imaginary extraterrestrial ferngully.

I disagree that it breaks the theme because it actually completes the parks original grand scheme. I do agree though that more can be done with Australia.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Without the discount you're paying $118. With, you're paying $98. That's not 20% savings. But, regardless, you're right. It's only worthwhile if you know you'll be eating out that frequently/spending that much anyway.

ETA: Maybe I'm looking at it wrong but that's how I would figure out where I would break even.

For what it's worth, here is how my mind works:
Without TIW - Table service meals for my trip $1000 plus $200 in tips = $1,200
With TIW - Table service meals for my trip $800 + $200 in tips + $100 cost of the card = $1,100

I saved $100. A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks whether you call it 10% of just the food or 8.33% of the food plus tip or just 2% of the $5,000 I spent for my whole trip including room, airfare, park tickets and food. It's still $100 more in my pocket then I would have had if I didn't get the card.

dupac

For what it's worth, here is how my mind works:
Without TIW - Table service meals for my trip $1000 plus $200 in tips = $1,200
With TIW - Table service meals for my trip $800 + $200 in tips + $100 cost of the card = $1,100

I saved $100. A hundred bucks is a hundred bucks whether you call it 10% of just the food or 8.33% of the food plus tip or just 2% of the $5,000 I spent for my whole trip including room, airfare, park tickets and food. It's still $100 more in my pocket then I would have had if I didn't get the card.
I don't disagree. My original reply was to a post by @PhotoDave219 about the savings percentage and how much you have to spend to break even. I do not have an opinion on the TiW one way or another... I've never used it.

WildcatDen

YES! YES!! YES!!!
I truly hope that as part of DL's 60th Diamond Anniversary that they bring that stuff back.

When you had it you knew you were at DL and no place else in the world!

Originally, it was served at Carnation on Main Street (later Gibson Girl) and Carnation Plaza Gardens (there was a QSR there for years before they removed it and built the Rancho del Zocalo on the Frontierland side. When DCA opened, they also served in at Buuurrrbank Ice Cream. I think early in 2004 they stopped selling it and into history it went.
King 's Island has Graeters ftw

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom