The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Quinnmac000

As a huge Trek fan (I mean, seriously, check out my handle for Pete's sake) I'd love to see this happen. After what Uni's done w/ the Potter franchise, one can imagine all the wonderful, immersive Trek goodies they could come up with.

I have 0% faith this will ever happen, though. Why? Because for all of the confusion that remains to this day in the Marvel/Uni licensing pact (ie, what constitutes a "family"), the current ownership situation of Trek is enough to make you see double.

While there's a history and relationship between Paramount and Comcast/NBC/Universal (ie, Trek aired on NBC originally, small Trek attraction at USH in the 80's, TF rides), Paramount technically doesn't own Trek. When Viacom split into CBS and new Viacom/Paramount 10 years ago, CBS got the rights to all Trek on TV, already-released films, merchandise and other consumer platforms (ie, games) while Paramount retained distribution rights for DVD's and the option to produce and distribute future films. The kicker, though, is while Paramount has the rights to make the new films, they have to pay CBS to license the name, characters and elements they used to own.

Ultimately, CBS as the licensor has final say in how the franchise and characters are utlized in the new films and any associated merchandise. This arranagement is what reportedly pushed JJ to Wars, as CBS was hostile in his and Paramount's attempts to turn the new films into a synergized marketing juggernaut.

I seriously doubt CBS would license non-JJ Trek to their chief competitor, and while Paramount might have discussed bringing JJ Trek to Uni, I can't begin to fathom the IP legal issues brought up by such an arrangent.

CBS doesn't invest in theme parks and neither does Paramount anymore so there would be no loss for either just gains. So I doubt that would be a reason why they would say no. Its like CBS saying no I don't want to make more money off my property by sitting on my butt or Paramount saying I don't want to make any more money by sitting on my butt and letting someone else do all the hard work.

Cesar R M

Yes you can. It is a stand-alone movie. It followed up on an episode of the original show called Space Seed. But they tell you everything you need to know in the movie. It's not just the best Star Trek movie. It's one of the few Star Trek movies that is really good as a regular movie.

Enjoy!
plus it has one of the best rage memes ever used ever..

XjAsUwh.gif

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

Who wouldn't?

BigBangTheory-StarTrek.jpg

oh gods, those guys! XD

truecoat

It's ridiculous only because you can't possibly list every place your child may be at risk without saying 'everywhere' ... and, yes, parents should realize that. But many don't. Just like I am sure that people send their kids into the changing rooms at BB and aren't thinking ''there could be pervs in there'' (BTW, I am convinced Aquatica is aware of this problem because they ALWAYS have someone inside 'cleaning' ... literally all the time. I guess Disney feels that having 1-2 $9 an hour CMs cleaning and discouraging this type of behavior is just too much for them to afford!)

There is nothing wrong with focusing on a relatively small part of a huge problem and hoping to inform people.

Quick tip for parents, don't let your child go to the bathroom alone, use a family restroom. Stairways are another prime area of opportunity.

ProfSavage

They sound like Disney Parks fans..

Which group?

I'm a fan of both, for different reasons (my favorite Trek film being Undiscovered Country) but I don't think you'd see something like "Hyperspace Hoopla" with Trek characters tolerated by many Trek fans. HH wasn't event liked by many Wars fans, if YouTube comments can be believed (they can't, they're all mouth breathers).

Just my $0.02.

lebeau

plus it has one of the best rage memes ever used ever..

XjAsUwh.gif

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!

All anyone needs to know about Wrath of Khan is that Shatner and Montalban basically spend two hours trying to out-act each other. They both go over the top and then decide, nope, that wasn't enough. Time to crank the acting dial up to 11. It's the most Shatneresque Shatner has ever been.

I never appreciated the fact that only Shatner can pull this off until I saw Quinto try to do the same thing in Into Darkness. Quinto is arguably a better actor than Shatner. And that is probably why he fell flat on his face when trying to out-ham the master. Also, no toupee.

tribbleorlfl

CBS doesn't invest in theme parks and neither does Paramount anymore so there would be no loss for either just gains. So I doubt that would be a reason why they would say no. Its like CBS saying no I don't want to make more money off my property by sitting on my butt or Paramount saying I don't want to make any more money by sitting on my butt and letting someone else do all the hard work.
If you believe what was reported last year, that's exactly what CBS did in terms of marketing for the new films.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...ights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766/

doctornick

The award for Disney park with the most need for helping North America goes to Disney's Hollywood Studios. I'm beginning to think there's more vacant space in that park then there is used space.

With seeing how Uni (and DL for that matter) actually utilize all their limited space so wisely, I'm curious if TDO could come up with a master plan to actual use the DHS areas efficiently. Unlike the other WDW parks, there's actual space limitation at DHS and the layout is not conducive to expansion/redevelopment since it was set up as a working studio and hasn't been sufficiently modified to correct the new direction (if there is one) the park has gone onto.

Sure, they can replace existing stuff like the Backlot Tour, LMA and Streets of America and have a decent amount of space to work with, but it would still be constrained by a poor layout (specifically, they really need to have an alternative route in and out of Sunset Blvd). I truly wish we would see Burbank and TDO actually come up with a comprehensive plan to "fix" that park.

Quinnmac000

If you believe what was reported last year, that's exactly what CBS did in terms of marketing for the new films.

http://www.thewrap.com/movies/artic...ights-killed-jj-abrams-grand-ambitions-91766/

The difference is JJ wasn't just in it for the films but he wanted spin off TV shows, comic books, toy lines, pro bably even a clothing line; essentially doing what Marvel is doing right with with their characters with Star Trek. That's over saturation and kills stuff off faster, there is a reason Star Trek has managed to last so long.

TalkingHead

1. Wrath of Khan
  2. Voyage Home
  3. Undiscovered Country
  4. (3a) First Contact

Search for Spock (by itself was pretty so-so, but improves a lot when you watch it as a 2-4 trilogy), Generations (the first act was great, but the ship crashing was too meta-metaphorical), Trek (the Reboot), Into Darkness in some order

9. Insurrection
10. Nemesis​

(leaving 7 blank spaces because these are just that bad)

18. Final Frontier
19. The Motion Picture​

I watched TOS over the past year, and this summer I've watched most of the films with the original crew. I was expecting the worst with the Motion Picture so maybe that's why I liked it. It's epic scaled, similar in tone to TOS and has that incredible Goldsmith score.

I also wasn't prepared for how much fun Voyage Home is.

I'd flip if Uni found a way to get us on board the Enterprise.

Cesar R M

All anyone needs to know about Wrath of Khan is that Shatner and Montalban basically spend two hours trying to out-act each other. They both go over the top and then decide, nope, that wasn't enough. Time to crank the acting dial up to 11. It's the most Shatneresque Shatner has ever been.

I never appreciated the fact that only Shatner can pull this off until I saw Quinto try to do the same thing in Into Darkness. Quinto is arguably a better actor than Shatner. And that is probably why he fell flat on his face when trying to out-ham the master. Also, no toupee.
The hilarity was, that according to rumors.. Neither Montealaban nor Shatner seen each other.
Montealaban complained that he had to say his lines to a young woman who played Shatner's lines.

dhall

I watched TOS over the past year, and this summer I've watched most of the films with the original crew. I was expecting the worst with the Motion Picture so maybe that's why I liked it. It's epic scaled, similar in tone to TOS and has that incredible Goldsmith score.

I also wasn't prepared for how much fun Voyage Home is.

I'd flip if Uni found a way to get us on board the Enterprise.

I loved Voyage Home, and it was also the first one that my wife saw when we were dating. Khan is just too good not to be first, but I really like all of the next 3-4 in the list a lot as well.

I liked the first Abrams movie a lot more than the second, but then I was more amused by the 'homages' in the second than offended. I really liked seeing the old characters reinterpreted by younger, and frankly, much more talented actors. But, he really needed to have come up with a better name for the universe-threatening, world crushing, threat macguffin than 'the red matter'

(oh noooooos -- not the 'red stuff'!!!!!!)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom