The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Cosmic Commando

We're getting cross signals here.. was the guy DOING OR NOT DOING this illegal stuff in his workplace??
For starters they could check the cache on those Port Orleans work computers..
That's HOW he was caught.
http://mynews13.com/content/news/cf...icles/cfn/2013/5/15/deputies_disney_work.html

I didn't watch the video from AC360, but this was in the article:
"Ernie Allen, president of the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, said the number of those arrested in the child sex stings and for child "should signal to all of us that this is a real threat. It's a threat to Disney, it's a threat to a lot of companies and a lot of settings because these offenders will attempt to defeat the barriers that you put in place that deny them access to children."
Asked if Disney is doing enough, Allen said, "It's hard to imagine any company that's done more, that cares more, that's trying harder on these issues and part of the reason is Disney recognizes that it's a magnet, it's a magnet that is sort of America's symbol for children."

Unless there's something that Disney should be doing that most other companies are already doing, I don't see the point of this story. To the point of the story, they seem fairly "with it" regarding these matters; I think it's telling that the most common solution people have suggested is currently illegal. Like the saying, "Don't worry about what you eat between Thanksgiving and Christmas; worry about what you eat between Christmas and Thanksgiving", if Disney is line with the corporate norms (it sounds like they do at least that), then my children are at a far greater risk from everyday life than the one week a year at WDW/DL. Like others have said, this isn't just a Disney problem. Furthermore, I don't think there are many areas where children are vulnerable to a CM attack at WDW where they aren't already vulnerable to any random guest strolling by. Spirit has used the example in the past of a CM possibly using MM+ to see if little Jimmy is at the resort arcade by himself... any random person can just hang out at the arcade and look for kids by themselves. Or touch them on a ride (remember single rider fills every seat on some rides), or touch them in the pool if my back is turned towards my other children, or try to peek in the bathroom, etc. The in-room babysitting, the kids' clubs, possibly a housekeeper or custodian somehow knowing that a child is alone in a room... those are issues. The guy scooping ice cream on MSUSA could be a huge perv, but he's just not gonna be alone with my kids any more than the guy behind the counter at the gas station or the waitress at Applebee's.

Thanks to @PhotoDave219 for bringing up the Captain America thing. To me, that's the worst case I've heard of, and I agree that CNN really blew it by not having that story in their report: someone actually targeting a specific child through/because of an encounter in the park.

Nemo14

I'm the only one! LOL. At the Fupa.... Fula Chalupa..... Its like Cocabana but different.

Anyways, interesting that we were for the most part able to have a mature, civil, college level discussion with differing opinions about an insanely difficult topic to discuss. I'll be honest, I thought it would have careened off the rails like most things do. Nicely done, guys.
Totally agree. I logged on this morning expecting to see a slug-fest. Nice to see a mature discussion instead!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Interesting report on CNN. I doubt I could have done better if I positioned the story myself. :D

I already see that folks here are looking to squash the topic as it makes them feel uncomfortable or because it has substance. That's not going to fly with me. And I don't care how many passive aggressive PML fans are whining to @The Mom or @wdwmagic. When a story reaches CNN, no matter what you think of the organization, it is newsworthy. Anderson Cooper is widely respected in journalism circles and the piece that was run tonight appeared quite fair (unless, of course, you don't want to hear about WDW -- and UNI -- hiring pedophiles, some who tried to arrange meetings with children while working at WDW on WDW property using WDW computers while being paid by TWDC).

My strong advice is if you don't like the topic, then simply stay out of it. Or go whine about it on the PML or Twitter.

The story was not a one-off. CNN has been investigating the matter since last year. Despite Disney's attempts to kill it at the highest levels, thanks JZ for not backing down, it ran. Tomorrow, a local congressman will be interviewed related to pending legislation meant to address the problem of pedophiles working their way into Florida's tourism industry, specifically theme parks in Orlando.

How anyone could or would advance the idea that this isn't topical on the No. 1 WDW-centric site is beyond absurd. I get Disney doesn't want people talking about it. I get that many simple-minded people don't want to believe a thing the media reports, or want to downplay things. But that's not how functional, thinking adults behave.

Did you notice the statement that Tom Schroder of UNI gave to CNN? It was short, precise and to the point. Zero tolerance. ''We deal with it immediately and permanently.''

Contrast that with WDW's response, when they were unable to kill the story. WDW came off defensive and offered up a rambling distraction about how small a percentage of CMs were actually charged with crimes against children.

I don't know about you all, but if it's your child that's a victim, do you really care what percentage of Disney's workforce that he, or she, represents?

Disney was looking at minimization here. The goal is to keep all our kids safe and not to trivialize the ones who are victimized, which is precisely what Disney's statement does.

The figures are bogus anyway. Disney doesn't employ 300,000 people at WDW. They employ a different number depending on season that is generally around 65,000. But I don't want to have a discussion about numbers. One victim is one too many.

The idea that no children were victimized by WDW CMs while on WDW property is the most insane bit of PR spin by Disney fans that I have ever heard. Some of the individuals shown were people who regularly had access to children and an implied level of added trust. A concierge? A security guard? A pastor? C'mon, use common sense.

If it's a school employee, a district doesn't say ''we employ 16,000 people so a few bad eggs are OK''. The church doesn't say it's OK to molest choir boys if only 11% of priests are doing it.

I find it remarkable that the Pope has taken more of a forward-thinking stance than what I am reading by some people here.

I look forward to seeing CNN's continued coverage and who ever else decides to tackle this delicate and ugly issue.

But if you don't think it's newsworthy, then call and complain to CNN. I'm sure they want to hear from you. But let's not try and kill REAL news and stifle debate because it is easier to turn brains off and discuss the lovely pavement treatments being installed at DD.

Just seen the piece, and my first comment is that CNN were clearly looking to steer this towards Disney, when infact the issue exists in every facet of life. I would imagine that if any other large single site employer was examined in the same way, we would have similar results. This is not a case of Disney doing a poor job of checking employees, it is a case of a completely screwed up society that we live in. In most cases there is no criminal record prior to the offense, so nothing for a background check to find.

The statistics reflect the percentage of abusers in the general population. Whether that be at theme parks, schools, hospitals, or anywhere else.

The 300,000 is taking into account turnover, not the number of job positions. I knew that bus drivers and house keepers had an average of a 90 day employment life, but 300,000 is a heck of a churn.

The not happening on Disney property was put out by the two hosts of the piece. They seemed to be trying to make that clear. It doesn't sound like PR spin - but more a case of just stating the facts.

Polygraphs? Ridiculous. Can you really see an employer conducting background checks, then polygraphs on an employee that is going to be paid min wage, and will only be at the company for a few weeks before moving on. Oh, and then factor in that a good chunk of them don't really speak English.

The report would have been more effective if it were more wide-sweeping and covered other businesses where the same thing is happening. Perhaps the theme parks were an easy target and headline grabber. Did CNN not want to take on the backlash of implicating schools, churches, day cares, camps, hospitals, and other daily essential providers?

Last edited:

JenniferS

When you're the leader, you don't have to follow.
He breaks news in his own confusing way whenever he decides to do so.

I wouldn't hold my breath for him, but I would pay attention to what he intimates (between the lines means far more than what he actually posts)...

A very interesting character, our Spirit. Glad to call him a friend (and we have a friendly trash can member who is going to eclipse us both in likes soon...)
Already done. You missed the party.

John

This whole thing would be different if the CMs were caught using WDW to advance thier sic agenda but even CNN didn't go there. I mean for that matter what is Disney doing to prevent pedophiles from visiting the parks? I see no screening of customers in place to prevent these sickos from lining up in ques with kids at all. So using this same logic disney is responsible for those arrested for the same crimes that have visited the parks. Sorry unless Disney is shown to have prior knowledge I don't see how this is news

Ahhhhh but they might not prevent them from coming to the parks but I believe thru facial recognition they know who enters their gates everyday. I bet that they work in conjunction with the authorities and have access to sexual offender list. If one of these offenders come thru the gate I would bet money that they are kept under very close watch. Disney has an incredible security system in place. With that much money on the line there is nothing they wont do to protect their image. You may not see it but that doesn't mean its not there.

seascape

When I hire people, as I have in the past, I have made every effort to make sure that I wasn't hiring anyone who had ANY criminal issues.

Yes, huge companies like Disney, UNI, SW absolutely have some control ... to what degree, I'm not sure. But neither are you.
If you do not think anyone with a criminal record should be hired then what should we do with them? There are laws about discrimination and more and more laws will be passed because if former criminals can't be hired they have no choice but to commit more crimes. As for predators what do you want done with them? I knows it's a small percentage of people but they are everywhere. They are even at Cabana Bay as quests. They are in every hotel. So we can't vacation and don't leave you home because they are there and never take you children to children's day at work because some of you Co workers are predators. I didn't think mine were until one who was also a soccer coach was arrested and convicted. This story has no place here on a theme park board. The problem is not any of the parks fault. Any yes more Disney employees were involved but you can be sure if Universal builds the three more hotels and water park and a third gate there will be an increase in the number of Universal employees who are sexual predators. No park will ever get to 0. You are going to destroy the business you claim to love and this will kill Disney and Universal and all the theme parks in Orlando. And think of the Orlando economy if that happens. All this for a tiny fraction of 1 percent of the employees. I bet the percentage 90 employees and the theme parks who are predators is lower than the normal population. Drop this. Delete these threads.

Nemo14

If you do not think anyone with a criminal record should be hired then what should we do with them? There are laws about discrimination and more and more laws will be passed because if former criminals can't be hired they have no choice but to commit more crimes. As for predators what do you want done with them? I knows it's a small percentage of people but they are everywhere. They are even at Cabana Bay as quests. They are in every hotel. So we can't vacation and don't leave you home because they are there and never take you children to children's day at work because some of you Co workers are predators. I didn't think mine were until one who was also a soccer coach was arrested and convicted. This story has no place here on a theme park board. The problem is not any of the parks fault. Any yes more Disney employees were involved but you can be sure if Universal builds the three more hotels and water park and a third gate there will be an increase in the number of Universal employees who are sexual predators. No park will ever get to 0. You are going to destroy the business you claim to love and this will kill Disney and Universal and all the theme parks in Orlando. And think of the Orlando economy if that happens. All this for a tiny fraction of 1 percent of the employees. I bet the percentage 90 employees and the theme parks who are predators is lower than the normal population. Drop this. Delete these threads.

Delete these threads? really? I think we've all pointed out that this is a societal problem, not a theme park problem, but I don't think pretending it doesn't exist or sprinkling a little pixie dust on it will make it go away. The problem should be addressed, and as we have so civilly discussed, it does not have an easy solution.

Nemo14

So you took the story to CNN? You have an agenda and you are not only going to hurt Disney but all the parks in Orlando and if one were to look regardless of universals claim of zero tolerance they will always have predators and people who write the news stories will destroy all the parks in Orlando. You will be responsible for this junk news. Blame the employer. There are more sexual predators staying in the 4200 hotel rooms at Universal each year than employed at all 3 parks. Do you really want all this out there scaring the public?
"Scaring the public"? Is that what you think this is about?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The Port Orleans CM was soliciting children (outside of WDW, according to CNN) from his computer at work at WDW.

And he was fired, no? What more could be done? No more CM computer access? Put another CM in charge of watching another CM, like a buddy system of spies?

Classy, dude. Very classy.

I'm protecting no one, but thanks. Oh, and if I haven't made it clear enough for you, I went to folks at CNN with the story last year. I fully expected Disney to kill it fully since that is their MO.

I'll take pleasure in knowing that Bob Iger and his flying monkeys are probably having a miserable night.

Oh. I was wondering why you bring this up so often. And I know, I can't ask that, because it makes me look like I don't care about the larger issue.

Some folks here think I'm joking when I talk of Imagineer/fanboi hookups, but it is a known issue and has been for years. ...

Can you define "fanboi" please?

If you are talking about adults who are fans of the theme parks in the extreme, and I suspect you are. Then who gives a flying crap, if they hook up with Imagineers? Why does it matter what two consenting adults get up to in their personal lives?

15 pages of discussion regarding this CNN report, and all I get out of it is that Disney should do more to prevent it, but no one knows what more they reasonably could do. Disney is dealing with an issue that all major employers and society as a whole is dealing with. And it seems to me they are doing at least as good a job as anyone else.

Last edited:

Skyway

Hyperspace Hoopla

Obviously child predators are horrible, and I hope all businesses -especially those that cater to children do everything possible to keep these people away.

Here's my issue - '74 confirmed that he went to CNN with this story sometime in the last year, and obviously has a vested interest in getting the news out. He also said that he found out yesterday morning that it was going to air last night.

THEN.....he posted here that he had some big news to drop on us, getting everyone all worked up, and ensuring that all of us little minions were here waiting for his post with baited breath. So everyone gets excited, and we keep coming back and checking, and checking....and when he posts, it's to tell us to watch this news story, which of course we all do (mission accomplished).

...and now the big news mysteriously has to wait a few days, until we've had enough time to discuss the topic that he wants to discuss. Okay, I get it. Your news, post it when you want, but I can't help but feel like the kid with the decoder ring -"Remember to drink your Ovaltine."

RSoxNo1

I wasn't aware of that. But you can't expect every incident to get in a report. You know better than most here how things often get cut from stories (or even inserted) by folks who didn't spend days, weeks or even months working a story.

The fact it is a problem everywhere means the media should do whatever it can to bring it to light, so it hopefully becomes a very rare issue. Not an every day one.
They're reporting on a problem and failed to mention a recent incident. Kudos to them for reporting on a problem, but let's not pretend CNN did a great job on this either. If you're criticizing Fan Bois for having their head in the sand, you can't then argue what a great job of reporting this was. Most of this could have been done with anyone that has a Lexus Nexus account.

RSoxNo1

No, John. But placing out personal information about other individuals and their proclivities on the 'net is pretty stupid. And you know I am not that.

Instead of worrying about what I know, I'd put the focus on what was reported.

I'm honestly shocked by the amount of folks who appear, on first glance at least, to have more of an issue with people reporting pedophilia and discussing it then it actually happening. I really didn't expect this crowd to be so pro-corporation in 2014 knowing what y'all know.
The last part is absolutely what's important here. Regardless of what due diligence CNN did on reporting this, or Disney, Universal and Sea World did on hiring these people, this is important information. There is nothing right about pedophilia. If you help facilitate it, knowingly or unknowingly you need to face repercussions.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
They're reporting on a problem and failed to mention a recent incident. Kudos to them for reporting on a problem, but let's not pretend CNN did a great job on this either. If you're criticizing Fan Bois for having their head in the sand, you can't then argue what a great job of reporting this was. Most of this could have been done with anyone that has a Lexus Nexus account.

That doesn't fit with the narrative though.

seascape

"Scaring the public"? Is that what you think this is about?
How about running a story of sexual predators at Orlando hotels? Yes if you looked at the news today you would think crime is up and so is gun violence. In fact it's down. The public is being manipulated and running stories like this is designed to hurt Disney. Look at what was said earlier. The story was given to CNN in the hope that it would hurt Disney. That is not a story to solve the problem which is everywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom