The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Open! Open!! Open!!!

I am not reciting an old Target Black Friday commercial. Nope, the wait is almost over and I am too excited to sleep. Tomorrow ushers in a new era in the O-Town theme park wars and in a way that could be a game-changer for the industry.

To quote another old commercial, a WDW, commercial: ''I'm too excited to sleep!''

Well, maybe not ... Sleep is important for one's health, after all.

I have enjoyed skimming the thread during my 'absence' from MAGIC. Nice to see posts from @marni1971 and @Lee and @ParentsOf4 that are of the typical quality one associates with those posters. I don't know why anyone thinks I am on a vacation. Anyone will tell you that O-Town in July is anything but relaxing. Nope. Just full of hot air, humidity and thunder.

Oh, and Lee ... You are a hillbilly smart-!

Don't know what more to say right now, other than Frozen fireworks, Fantasmic and late night at Applebee's ... Yep, who needs the Hogwarts Express and that Gringotts ride?

I'll rejoin y'all in a little while with tales aplenty. Just keep believing in MAGIC! :)

PeterAlt

they(Wallstreet) could just tell Iger and Rasulo "keep milking. Universal is attracting us clients too, so not need to do anything" and then recommend to sell the hotels elsewhere. Just saying.

perhaps he says Cameroon might be worried about a poor execution vs Disney compared to what Universal could do now?
Is he? Or is this just guessing? Cameron has a lot of say on this and such a situation is impossible, unless I've been misinformed about his contract.

HakunaMatata89

I expect diagon alley to be manageable next week.

mj-laughing.gif

what do you consider manageable?

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, one quickee review since we waited five years for it: the SDMT is slightly better than I thought. A nice D-Ticket in a park that needs 2-3 new major E-Tickets.

It is no more or no less.

Happy Diagon Alley Day!

(Oh, more importantly don't forget that EPCOT has EMH this morning from 8-9!)

Sped2424

mj-laughing.gif

what do you consider manageable?
Not this
54408252.jpg

But not wait in a line to enter the land status either. If I could guess I would say 2+ wait times for the he and gringotts all the time. But a lot of the locales already got shopping in through the softs. So the shops shouldn't be 1 hour/30 minute waits to get in either like the first land was for a good while.

HakunaMatata89

Not this
54408252.jpg

But not wait in a line to enter the land status either. If I could guess I would say 2+ wait times for the he and gringotts all the time. But a lot of the locales already got shopping in through the softs. So the shops shouldn't be 1 hour/30 minute waits to get in either like the first land was for a good while.

i still say you got some good wishful thinking but hope you are right.

i stand by my gif

PrincessNelly_NJ

These are a few crowd pictures from 6 am.
Edit: seen a few people post that they just arrived around 7 and still were able to enter into the park

Attachments

• 1404818899.jpg
    1404818899.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 150
  • 1404818811.jpg
    1404818811.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 1404818733.jpg
    1404818733.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 1404818704.jpg
    1404818704.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Oh, yes...WDI has major systemic issues. There is no excuse for allowing their budgets to run as amok as they have been.

But, my point was that when given proper funding and direction, they can still produce rides that are among the best in the world. (Mystic, Rat, RSR, etc.)

The problems arise from extraneous forces. Like having a project's budget or scope slashed in half by the suits. Or being told that a Frozen presence is needed in the parks ASAP, but with the limitations of a (relatively) small budget and the directive that it not be a major new ride because the suits no longer want to spend money that way if they can help it.

What happens then is that imagineers who feel they are on the verge of being sacked if they don't get themselves attached to a project come up with idiotic ideas like converting Maelstrom.

It's a vicious cycle.

About those slashed budgets.

If FLE final cost was in the range of 500 million, what was the proposed starting budget?

I think what I'm asking is, why is WDI such a bloated mess? Why is 500 million enough to build 3 e-tickets inside of two incredibly immersive environments at USO, but not at WDW?

BrianLo

I think what I'm asking is, why is WDI such a bloated mess? Why is 500 million enough to build 3 e-tickets inside of two incredibly immersive environments at USO, but not at WDW?

Well apparently (despite a weird spectrum of numbers I'm seeing) the HKDL expansion fell somewhere in the 400 range. Ratatouille cost 150. I would not be surprised whatsoever if the Rat, tower of terror and crush's coaster all came in under 500 total at WDS.

So apparently yes 500 is within the realm of possibilities at Disney too.

At WDW on the other hand? Perhaps they hid some more MyMagic+ overruns in there somewhere...

In reality it was just a misguided expansion from the start, emphasis on the wrong things.

Last edited:

71jason

Wasn't really a breakdown. More of a hiccup. Was running nearly immediately

Still, they are running at far under capacity, dispatching a car every 2 minutes. Posted wait is already 5 hours. Need to start making money off merch > fact that Gringotts isn't ready for prime-time yet.

ETA: There's probably an ironic Jaws parallel here. Richard Dreyfuss as Universal Creative, trying to tell them not to open Gringotts, Mark Woodbury as the Mayor ... eh, I'm stretching now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom