The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Nemo14

If you look in that bottom photo, purported to be from on the ride, it looks like a tree is against the tracks.

Crappy to speculate, I know I hate it when others do, but thats what SFMM is saying and that looks like a tree to me.

My sincere hat off to the LA County Fire Technical Rescue guys. They are putting harnesses on the trapped guests before lifting them into a cherry picker. Insane stuff.

I see what you mean about the tree. If I were one of those guests I'd be a wreck at this point.

bhg469

It must've come out of nowhere for a coaster on a fixed track to suddenly hit one.
Wind or erosion could have uprooted it, making it closer to the track than intended. Obviously that's guessing. A tree didn't just appear but they do grow and those shock absorbers may not have been as stiff as they once we're causing more of a swing..

PhotoDave219

Ninja is anywhere between 20 to 50 feet off the ground as it twists and turns along the side of a mountain. Either a branch fell on the track or one of the cars swung too far one way and struck a tree.

Well the entire first car is dangling in mid-air and came off the track. I have no idea how that could happen.

PhotoDave219

A local LA news station has a shot of a fairly large tree (the trunk not just a branch) leaning against the track. It appears the whole tree fell and rested against the track. The train came across and collided with the tree, derailing the front car. The LAFD came in and cut the tree and are currently rescuing everyone.

Well that explains that. Still have the photo?

Lee

Adventurer
Do those cars swing?
Yep.
It's an Arrow suspended coaster. Swings in the turns, but I don't think the swinging was a factor in this incident. Looks like the tree's fault...
image.jpg

lazyboy97o

I get the feeling they'll be checking every other tree around the ride now and I wouldn't blame them. Are there other rides out there that are surrounded by trees?
At Six Flags Magic Mountain? A number of the coasters utilize the terrain and there is some nice tree growth throughout the park. Going through wooded areas is typically considered a positive feature of a coaster.

Cesar R M

LOL, prattle is the right word. I make long posts, but I daresay they usually make sense.

His premise is "we need to stop all this Uni vs. Disney" and then he goes on and on about it for posts, so what he really meant was "you all need to stop this Uni vs. Disney just listen to me go on about it" LOL.

All this debate is silly, though. Very few folks who come to Orlando to go to theme parks know about or care about ROI or any financial information about them, nor do they care that "hey, Disney has a great state of the art park...in Asia". That's all irrelevant. What folks want are amazing rides and attractions - and anyone who is not intellectually disabled can tell you who has been pumping out the newest, greatest, most frequent rides in the Orlando area.

Unless you are some idiot who thinks that 7DMT is an E-ticket, which again - I shouldn't use the term idiot, that's not polite when someone has intellectual disabilities...
we have a nice pair of words for that behaviour.. IRONY and HYPOCRISY.

also agree with your statement, We're judging the US versions which are the most reachable and broad ones. Not the Asian parks.

No. Indiana Jones has not been closed. Nor has an announcement of it being closed occurred.

A Star Wars expansion has not been announced nor have any of the usual credible sources said anything about it lately. Personally, I'm pretty sure it's going to happen… Eventually. Hopefully this budgetary season.
hopefully before the whole Frozen thing dies? because it could be a looong time if the insanity stays like it is right now.

Cesar R M

Wall Street will flip on Disney and tell them know they need to spend more on the parks... It is a business we all need to accept that and they will spend on the parks. The people on this board may not like all of their expenditures but they will invest and grow the parks. Remember that when you are dealing with public company their number one job if we like it or not is to make sure their stock rocks! It is a fact no one wants to admit.

Igor has done a great job of this and he will continue to watch the stock and make sure the outcome is good. So if they say build in the parks he will.

they(Wallstreet) could just tell Iger and Rasulo "keep milking. Universal is attracting us clients too, so not need to do anything" and then recommend to sell the hotels elsewhere. Just saying.

What are you referring to?

perhaps he says Cameroon might be worried about a poor execution vs Disney compared to what Universal could do now?

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
That he did -- left the legacy behind, and in the last five years of his tenure, gradually instituted the era of declining quality and shortcuts that you lament.

In retrospect, the folks complaining about the napkins & fries were right.

What was built in the last 5 years of his tenure that suffered shortcuts? Were there cutbacks and cost saving measures implemented? Sure, but after adding soooo much to the parks and resorts it's understandable they were looking to save a few bucks here and there.

As far as gradually instituting the era of declining quality, well, I guess that gave Iger the green light to make it ten times worse, right? Eisner took chances, rolled the dice, and ya, butted heads with many people but that doesn't in any way diminish what he accomplished. I'll take a rough "last 5 years" if it gives us MGM Studios, Animal Kingdom, Splash Mountain, Typhoon Lagoon, Yacht and Beach Club, Boardwalk, etc. Have we gotten anything close to any one of those during Igers reign? We got DVC's, Lame FLE, and more DVC's, and oh yeah, Magic Bands. Ill admit the bands arent bad, but at the cost Iger has spent, it is the biggest financial blunder for WDW in a long time and it does little for my "enhancement" as they promised.

Was Eisner the most lovable or well liked guy? No, but he got the job done and left the company in much better shape then when he took it over, regardless of what happened in the last 5 years, the company was in 10 times better shape financially, and the parks were much better as well.

Travel Junkie

I get the feeling they'll be checking every other tree around the ride now and I wouldn't blame them. Are there other rides out there that are surrounded by trees?

Yeah, there is a large mountain that sits in the middle of the park. Several rides including a flying coaster hug the mountain whizzing past old growth trees. It's great when the trees stay put. I see some logging in the future.

KCal reports the tree on the track was 18-20 inches in diameter and completely derailed the front car. It was holding on by the 2nd car that was attached to it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom