The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Funmeister

Yep. And some of were predicting this as far back as 2009. But what do we know?

BTW, I have never worked for a themed entertainment company per se, but a part of me is thinking it might be time to actually get into that end of the media business. I like parks and resorts. I know the business. And I get old and angry watching incompetents do incompetent jobs ... oh, and I am not looking to drive boats around Bay Lake (that might work for my 74-year-old father, if I trusted his ability to pilot a boat safely!)!

Better than driving...piloting.....boats at Epcot as they are considered an "attraction" so the Cast Members are screwed out of the transportation labor grade raise paying them less $$$.

Nic

Wow wow wow. I've disregarded this thread as a 'What to do after a vacation?' support group based on the first three lines. Did not expect all that news!

alissafalco

You're the one that brought your friend up using subjective words like "miserable" without actual context.
Aren't you the one who's paying 5k for 4 nights at WDW??:eek::eek: Because you think it would cost the same if you stayed off property?? :eek::eek: And you've never ever even been to WDW?? You should probably wait until you actually go before you comment about others.

Nemo14

i forgot what hotel i was at that charged if u moved a glass or opened the in room refridge..but ..wasnt a disney property tho

yea ..

thats a thing now..

I remember a similar experience at CBR many years ago. Seems to me that we eventually were given a key to lock it up so kids wouldn't help themselves to a $5 bag of a dozen M&M's.

seascape

You know absolutely nothing about my friend so please refrain from making disparaging comments about her. Insane lines at attractions, young children, and the inability to even make a FP+ reservation because the line at the kiosk was insane can easily make for a miserable trip. She didn't understand the need to make FP+ reservations ahead of time, and I think that's on Disney more than her. She has visited the parks on several previous occasions and thought she had a good grasp on touring and didn't understand how exactly things had changed with MM+. I don't think she is in the minority by any stretch of the imagination.

By your own admission, you have never even visited WDW. You may be shocked at how easy it ISN'T once you get there.

Your last point is very interesting. Disney is the one who is making vacation stressful by requiring ADRs at 180 days, FP+ at 60 days, etc. Most people want to go ride a few rides, see some characters, and have fun. Unfortunately, it just isn't that easy.
No one has to make dining or fast pass plus resevations. However it is clearly explained in the book they send when you make you hotel reservation. I don't see how anyone can say they didn't know because if the don't know it's their own fault. The book is easy to understand and has a magnet for the refrigerator.

Snowflake82

He's not talking about MM+ or FP+.

He's talking about the old, standard, FP system where any guest with a valid ticket could walk up and get a slip of paper. Presumably the infrastructure/kiosks/etc. were paid for long ago, and the only ongoing cost was the little slips of paper. Yes, everything is worked in somehow - but his point was, even after what, 15 years of existing, some folks were just so frakking stupid they thought that the original FP was an upcharge service, not that anyone who had a ticket could use it as much as the system would allow for free.

Yep, and despite all the info provided in guide maps, etc., a good number of people thought it was only open to guests staying on site.

seascape

Oh it is an extra charge. All rolled into the hotel rates. 5 star charge for a 3 star room, and so on down the line. Think Magical Express is free? Think again. Disney just has the resort fee included in the room rate. They just do not list it separately like a regular hotel. Think you don't pay for those rubber bands. Think again.
If you are saying fast pass plus has a charge for it, then you are saying Disneys one day ticket is a lower cost the Universals because you have to subtract that cost. Come on fast pass plus is free and Disney costs a couple of dollars more for a one day pass. If you don't like it don't use it.

seascape

The real question is to what extent do the powers-that-be within Disney realize just what a boondoggle this has become?
I always thought the most ludicrous aspect of MM+ was the option to pre-order meals far in advance. I know there are a some obsessive-compulsive planners among Disney visitors, but for nearly everyone that is just silly.

The ordering of food can be done at BOG for lunch with fast pass. What's wrong with that? If you do it, your food is at your table right after you sit down. Lots of restaurants are using an automated ordering system now, why should you have to wait till your inside the restaurant to do that? Again no one has to order in advance but why do you want to make me waste my time? Is it that you know best for everyone else and everyone has to do things the way you want? Let me take advantage of technology and enjoy my vacation the way I want.

ParentsOf4

As has been true since the days we first heard about MyMagic+ and the Wizzarding World Of Harry Potter expansion ...

This is FastPass+:

fine-print-001.jpg

This is Diagon Alley:

diagon-alley.jpg

Iger, Rasulo, and Staggs just don't get it.

(courtesy of @Cosmic Commando)

Last edited:

Nemo14

Yep, and despite all the info provided in guide maps, etc., a good number of people thought it was only open to guests staying on site.

Quite true. We had a "discussion" with friends who had stayed offsite a few years ago. They went in July and never used a FP because they thought it was for resort guests only. We had told them about it before they went, told them which ones were hard-to-get, etc., but when they got there they ignored everything we told them and instead waited in standby for everything. :banghead:

seascape

Quite true. We had a "discussion" with friends who had stayed offsite a few years ago. They went in July and never used a FP because they thought it was for resort guests only. We had told them about it before they went, told them which ones were hard-to-get, etc., but when they got there they ignored everything we told them and instead waited in standby for everything. :banghead:
Your friends obviously didn't listen to you.

In any case the first time my wife and I went when fast pass minus was offered we asked at the first line we saw fast pass what it was and the cast member explained it to us. I have no idea how anyone can complain about fast pass plus and then bring up fast pass minus as an example. Maybe the solution is to copy universal and give united front of line to those staying in Deluxe on site hotels. Then all the rest of the rich can buy a limited one time version for an extra payment and the vast majority get nothing but long lines while the rich people like me get everything. I don't want to go to a place like that.

the.dreamfinder

Yep. And some of were predicting this as far back as 2009. But what do we know?

BTW, I have never worked for a themed entertainment company per se, but a part of me is thinking it might be time to actually get into that end of the media business. I like parks and resorts. I know the business. And I get old and angry watching incompetents do incompetent jobs ... oh, and I am not looking to drive boats around Bay Lake (that might work for my 74-year-old father, if I trusted his ability to pilot a boat safely!)!
Sure you don't want Zenia's job (and pay)? Faux SPIRITED one percenter no more!

tirian

Long ago, Disney charged off-property guests for transportation. There's absolutely no way that would fly in today's society.

I think you need to broaden your mind a little... Because nothing is as obvious as you say it is.. (specially if you take into consideration that everyone starts as a newbie in everything)

In my case, I 'm someone who you wouldn't consider "Stupid" nor a man who has trouble deciding "which leg goes first" in my pants.

Last year was my first ever visit to WDW. And despite how meticulous I am regarding planning...
there was NOT A SINGLE SHEET OF PAPER informing us of what FP was.. nor in the papers the resort gave us (including the magicbands packages) nor in the papers our Vendor operator gave us(the travelagency).

I had no idea about the "FASTPASS" thing Until I started to notice these lines everywhere at Magic Kingdom, with the big "FastPass" logo next to the normal standby line.. I wondered if it was a "Plus" or "paid deluxe" version I was not informed of.
CMS were so busy arranging and shoving us to the correct line, I had no time to ask (being partially deaf doesn't help either)

It was not until I was visiting Epcot when they finally informed us correctly their functionality and the generals about it and how it was free and where to find the machines.
Of course, the only time I tried to check the machines, there was NOONE to ask questions for.

Thanks god the wait times weren't that bad when I visited (very light crowds except on saturday) and managed to check most of the parks.

Maybe it could help if they add restrictions to transportation.
Lower the prices of everything, but the monorail and buses can only be used if you have an active magicband.
Make them work like they should (reduce freeloaders and make the magicbands seem to pay themselves)
Purists might get a bit annoyed of course..

bhg469

How is her lack of reading ability on anyone else but her? The info is there in mailings, on the website. It's just there. Her being wrong is on her.
How is taking young children to a busy theme park on anyone else but her? MM+ didn't make her.

You show up, wait in some lines, make some decisions. How is that anything but easy? I'm going in beginning of July. In no world do I expect to walk on rides that time of year. That's crazy.

No they don't require ADRs and FP+ at those days. That's when the window opens. You don't have to use it. Is the hot popular thing gonna be tough to get? Yep. Just like in real life. At 15 days out there's still plenty of table service options for me to choose from. I don't want to, so I'm not gonna. The world won't end if I don't get to eat at Be Our Guest or (insert other popular place). I bet I can even further customize my fastpasses. But we're happy with out selections thus far, so I'm not concerned. I'm a parent and we're dragging 4 kids along in a blended family situation, so there's bound to be stress. I'd still rather be stressed at Disney than at work. But I'm aware the anxiety generated is my own, and nothing to do with Disney.

And since you're en expert on the new system you know that if its someones 3rd 4th 5th trip back, there are attractions you have no desire to go on yet FP+ forces you to use you lower tier passes on those attractions..

A person who doesn't go often or who doesn't read these forums has little idea that the system is completely different. This is not a Plussing, this was a complete change.. The old system is no longer in place, something the "+" makes it sound..

You have never been there, you do no know or will never know what WDW did before and how it was better in many aspects, especially for the repeat visitors that have no desire to use a pastpass for little mermaid EVER instead of space mountain. The system is flawed and you will never know how flawed because you never experienced it.

And again no one is forcing you to use the system, but you are surely punished for not using it by waiting in inflated standby lines that should not exist.

Spirit, I apologize for taking your thread off topic. Is Comcast/Universal planning any type of retaliation for the complaint Disney filed about The Tonight Show as free advertising? I know I shouldn't be surprised at that level of pettiness, but it really did surprise me.

It has been brought up in these threads, anyone who needs to educate themselves as to why FP+ was an awful investment, needs to look no further than this thread.... and the million others who know this will never every yield a profit

Aren't you the one who's paying 5k for 4 nights at WDW??:eek::eek: Because you think it would cost the same if you stayed off property?? :eek::eek: And you've never ever even been to WDW?? You should probably wait until you actually go before you comment about others.

But its.... more magical, the planning DVD and commercials told me so!

Unless you're paying under 100 a night, the disney moderate resorts are no better than motel 6 and deluxe are maybe slightly better than a double tree, only you have to pay for the cookies.

lebeau

This is not being talked about nearly enough. And no one at WDC even gave half a second's consideration to what the blow back so such a stunt could be.

Say goodbye to Christmas Parade TV tapings folks!

No kidding. If that thing isn't a 2-hour commercial every year, I don't know what is. They barely even show the parade anymore.

Although less Nick Cannon in my life can only be a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom