The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
I don't think that needs to be what they are worried about. They need to start making solid attractions again and the rest will work itself out.

And if they really want to synergize in a "cool and relevant" way, they have Kimmel. Throw him in Atlantic Dance Hall for a week of shows and let him and Guillermo run around.

They can synergize too. They just need substance to make it worth the effort.

They wouldn't let Kimmel be himself. They'd basically tie a plaid noose around his neck and not let him make fun of the place. In case you haven't paid attention, Disney takes itself way too seriously.

crispy

You're the one that brought your friend up using subjective words like "miserable" without actual context.

I don't think saying she had a miserable trip needed context especially when she directly attributes it to MM+. I gave context because of your name calling and assumptions. Many people get a lot of joy from planning trips, but many people have neither the time nor the inclination to do so. Bottom line, a theme park vacation shouldn't be that hard. I hope your trip goes well, but as they say about they best laid plans....

crispy

Spirit, I apologize for taking your thread off topic. Is Comcast/Universal planning any type of retaliation for the complaint Disney filed about The Tonight Show as free advertising? I know I shouldn't be surprised at that level of pettiness, but it really did surprise me.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think this is a very distinct possibility. It was removed after Monday's show, meaning it was the first day they got to see how everything really looked while editing the show afterwards.

Maybe they did just decide it was too distracting. I mean, they left everything else that symbolized Universal there.

If that is the case, then not only is my highly-placed source wrong (which I find very unlikely) ... but the fact that Fallon went from lots of coverage of Potter 2.0 to very little was always the plan. It was great for the entire resort, but it sure seemed like they backed off the Potter coverage (which was the only reason the show was there to start with), and other folks mentioned this to me and found it odd and wondered if it was that ''the land and attractions weren't ready for late night.''

stevehousse

Understatement of the thread. I know socially, neighbors and such, many of the poor souls trying to make this disaster work, from front line to much higher up. Massive amounts of guests every day to educate who no nothing about it or could not figure it out before arrival. This will take years to change the awareness level since every day has once in a lifetime guests or every many years guests. Often they take verbal abuse over the guest thinking it is complicated, unnecessary, fixed something that was not broken, on and on. For everyone who likes to plan the new magical Iger way another guest arrives clueless. Silly people thought going to a theme park was simple.

I think this is the most obvious reason for the lackluster reviews of MM+. Too difficult to educate the guest, even though it is simple once u get it.

Are they even still handing out the MM+ pamphlet at the parking entrance or did that only last the first week or two of it being "official"? That's a practice that needs to be mandatory for guests to even have some for of knowledge before they arrive.

One of my coworkers is a huge Disney fan, goes every year, and she didn't even know about MM+ or FP+ and I had to inform her and tell her to link her tickets and such...

I liked redsox's response to changing FP, and it just makes the most sense. I wish they would have initially done that...

WDW1974

Original Poster
Yeah, I've met a couple of them. This is LBV, a small corner of a big city. The number of professionals of a certain age is limited. We all tend to run in the same circles, at least those of us who get out in the real world.

I know everyone pictures a cartoon mouse running the show, but the fact is, TDO is just people. People who go to dog parks, grocery stores, bars ...

... leather bars, meth dens, Waffle Houses, Walmarts ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
They are SUPPOSED to vacuum regularly.

There was a time when they removed vacuums from housekeepers carts, completely, except for the GF and a few other deluxes ... then they went to these sweeper things that in no way cleaned the carpeting.

Do you know for certain that WDW resorts, across the board, have housekeepers who are equipped with vacuums daily? A very serious question, btw.

(and I know the seven-figure consultant that sold Disney on the idea of not cleaning carpets!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
I saw it used successfully on other forums.

All of us are hardcore Disney fans but not all of us want to see the spoilers. Not everyone wants to see advance ride videos or even see photos of new things.

Some of us want to see things with wide-eyed, childlike wonder as we see it for the first time.

Thanks, Dave.

I approach every day with childlike wonder, but it doesn't take very long (sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes even hours) for that to disappear like my virginity (I didn't lose that until I was 29, so I think there's hope for Skipper Sean!);):devilish::D

crispy

Thanks, Dave.

I approach every day with childlike wonder, but it doesn't take very long (sometimes seconds, sometimes minutes, sometimes even hours) for that to disappear like my virginity (I didn't lose that until I was 29, so I think there's hope for Skipper Sean!);):devilish::D

th

WDW1974

Original Poster
Maybe off topic a bit, but Im putting this in @WDW1974 's thread because Im curious if him (or any others) have any knowledge of how Uni handles their Public Relations. Ive been watching the videos of media events with Universal Creative regarding DA and its extremely refreshing to see a truly open Q&A session that does not have canned, generic, bland, repetitive answers to pre-written questions from mommy blogging wh****, as in the way Disney handles their "Imagineer Chats". Thierry Coup, Mark Woodbury and Dale Mason come across in a very genuine manor. I only know who they are after watching several videos but I like what I see. I realize they are higher up the food chain than the average Imagineer and perhaps they have more freedom to speak openly but I enjoy seeing open ended, organic sessions and I dont feel like im being force fed a spoonful of brand advocacy.

Edit to add: my statement is in no way trying get to praise Uni and bash Disney. Just recognizing different styles of PR. I always have and always will love WDW

I really don't have much experience with UNI's PR folks. I think @PhotoDave219 can likely handle this one much better. ... I will say the Creatives have always struck me as much more real than Disney's Imagineers over the last dozen or so years. WDI is so political that no one wants to give you a straight answer (and, no, that wasn't a crack about he gay culture entrenched in Glendale) beyond folks like Tony Baxter that just got to a point where they didn't give a damn or fear losing their jobs (because some, like Tony, knew where all the bodies were buried.)

cw1982

i forgot what hotel i was at that charged if u moved a glass or opened the in room refridge..but ..wasnt a disney property tho

yea ..

thats a thing now..

That happened to my parents the last time I went to Uni with them as a teenager lol... we were staying at the Hard Rock. Most expensive bottle of water ever!

Cesar R M

There was a time when they removed vacuums from housekeepers carts, completely, except for the GF and a few other deluxes ... then they went to these sweeper things that in no way cleaned the carpeting.

Do you know for certain that WDW resorts, across the board, have housekeepers who are equipped with vacuums daily? A very serious question, btw.

(and I know the seven-figure consultant that sold Disney on the idea of not cleaning carpets!)
did his head roll at least?
because that is the most stupid idea I've ever seen to "cut costs" in hotels that already are throwing hundreds of dollars easily at the cost of guest's health.
Or they really did it until a health inspector rolled in?

WDW1974

Original Poster
What I don't get about Hokie is, he HATES this site. He HATES spirit. Yet he can't stop reading it.

They all hate me. They all hate the site. They all love to Tweet and subtweet and FB and DM about it ... yet, they all read religiously, which helps boost both my ego and Steve's bottom line.

As to Hokie, I always enjoyed talking with him here (and on LP.com) and never had an issue with him whatsoever. He's just apparently decided I am the enemy, much like my good pal, and Fidel Castro's younger bro, Andy, and Michael Crawford ... Funny thing is my friend @EPCOT Explorer is out there reading this and communicating with them and he never says a damn thing. I wonder if someone just told him that aligning himself with me publicly wasn't good for his own BRAND (somehow the boy has over 10,000 Twits that follow him ... just imagine if he used that platform for good and not crying about wall carpeting and Wishes!)

The thing I notice about all of them is they leave here and wind up attempting to build their own Internet businesses, personalities, blogs etc, Very few come back here to chat ... @WDWFigment is probably the only one who is still here somewhat regularly. Maybe there is a connection between his personal success (and I am a fan of his and he knows this) and the fact he doesn't go and hide and isn't afraid to tackle issues here that don't make Dr. Blondie and the CP/Yellow Shoes crew pleased, you can be sure. I think folks respect people who don't hide or run away angry (that started here with Tom Amity Corless before I was even here and quickly followed with Merfie, who I always thought added something ... what, I am still not sure, but I enjoyed talking to him). ...That's why I was happy to see @AEfx back, even if we don't always agree on things. He is intelligent and articulate and fun, even if he is soooooo weird with that Snow White's Adventures fetish! :)

Next Big Thing

If that is the case, then not only is my highly-placed source wrong (which I find very unlikely) ... but the fact that Fallon went from lots of coverage of Potter 2.0 to very little was always the plan. It was great for the entire resort, but it sure seemed like they backed off the Potter coverage (which was the only reason the show was there to start with), and other folks mentioned this to me and found it odd and wondered if it was that ''the land and attractions weren't ready for late night.''
They may have cut back from planned coverage, but WWoHP still got plenty of coverage through Comcasts other outlets. TODAY was in there on Wednesday, Access Hollywood did a few segments Thursday, E! did a live from the Red Carpet, etc.

Now that you mention it though, I do actually think I remember Jimmy mentioning on Monday that he would be giving us a sneak peak of the Escape from Gringotts ride, and that obviously never happened.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I've heard that a lot lately too, and despite my post, I'm generally not a "Doom and Gloomer." Disney has a real problem here.

Yep. And some of were predicting this as far back as 2009. But what do we know?

BTW, I have never worked for a themed entertainment company per se, but a part of me is thinking it might be time to actually get into that end of the media business. I like parks and resorts. I know the business. And I get old and angry watching incompetents do incompetent jobs ... oh, and I am not looking to drive boats around Bay Lake (that might work for my 74-year-old father, if I trusted his ability to pilot a boat safely!)!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom