The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Animaniac93-98

So, this is going to bother my pal @WDWFigment, who to be fair disappeared from this thread and site when I compared him to @KevinYee (who also doesn't check in here much anymore), but while DSP may be the ugliest park in the Disney UNIverse and least photogenic (at any time of the day!), I will quite boldly say it is worlds better than TPFKaTD-MGMS in terms of actual attractions.

The FL Studios park has four attractions that I have any interest in now (perfect for FP+ and dropping in for three hours and spending no money at all) while the Parisian Studios has eight (possibly nine) and a short parade that brings back happy memories.

I said this last year before Rat and now with Remy, there's no contest. Especially when you drop Star Tours from the equation because it's in neighbouring DL park.

PhotoDave219

There was some free entertainment in the Twittersphere today.

Approximately, it went like this.

Ol' Hokie Skipper corrected Devin Faraci (of geek culture blogging fame) about the "Harry Potter park" being a "land" which launched a debate that will likely go down in history as one of the seminal moments in modern history.

Faraci took offense to the correction. "Park, land, it doesn't matter. Theme parks are for kids," he said.

"No, they're not," other people responded.

"Yes, they're juvenile," Faraci retorted.

"You write about comic book movies, so what do you know?" they said.

"I write about movies that are serious, too," he replied. "Besides theme parks only exist to get your money."

"So do movies," they said. "Or was The Amazing Adventures of Spectacular Ultra Spider-man 14 created for aesthetic reasons?"

"Movies tells stories," the great blogger announced. "Theme parks don't."

The fanbois got a gleam in their eye. They could crush this one. "Everything in a Disney park is there to tell a story. Even the urinals."

Then, another country was heard from.

The reporter of the AP story on Gringotts (which was cited earlier in this thread) chimed in to say the story didn't misrepresent the expansion by calling it a "Harry Potter park" because "We don't say 'Park' in the story. We don't 'misrepresent' anything."

Someone responds, your article mentions "park" three times in the first paragraph.

So the reporter says (direct quotes):
"You are correct. It does. Sorry. I was busy writing and didn't see the final version."
"And I think that if @UniversalORL wanted a correction, they would have contacted us by now."
"I am not sure that you fully understand how much copy I write each week and day. Not just theme parks."
"I do the best I can with the time I have an I try to get everything correct. I feel that our coverage was good."
"Sorry. It's been a long week. I have also written about executions and crime in addition to 3 park stories."

And then even later, someone attempted to find middle ground.

"Theme parks are juvenile and capitalist breeding grounds, but they haven't always been," he said (approximately again). "Once upon a time there was Epcot."

An audible gasp could be heard. A single tear ran down a fanboi's cheek.

"Yes," this defender said, "Epcot was different, but it's all been lost. Now all theme parks build rides that are like summer blockbusters. They don't build rides like 12 Years a Slave or Short Term 12. If only we could build rides that make you reflect on human slavery, or roller coasters about at-risk teenagers. Then these theme parks would really be on to something."

One fanboi could even be heard saying, "But Disney isn't just about rampant consumerism. My proof? Disney brought back the Orange Bird."

My editors and I had out lengthy conversation about this. While it is a mouthful, describing it as "the wizard in world of Harry Potter-Diagon alley at the Universal Orlando resort" which is the proper name of the attraction, is how Us in Photo went ahead and put it.

It's also that kind of splitting hairs that makes people in journalism despise fanbois. While it is not a "Harry Potter Park" it is an expansion to an existing park. And that's a lot of words to put in a photo caption let alone a story.

WDW1974

Original Poster
There was some free entertainment in the Twittersphere today.

Approximately, it went like this.

Ol' Hokie Skipper corrected Devin Faraci (of geek culture blogging fame) about the "Harry Potter park" being a "land" which launched a debate that will likely go down in history as one of the seminal moments in modern history.

Faraci took offense to the correction. "Park, land, it doesn't matter. Theme parks are for kids," he said.

"No, they're not," other people responded.

"Yes, they're juvenile," Faraci retorted.

"You write about comic book movies, so what do you know?" they said.

"I write about movies that are serious, too," he replied. "Besides theme parks only exist to get your money."

"So do movies," they said. "Or was The Amazing Adventures of Spectacular Ultra Spider-man 14 created for aesthetic reasons?"

"Movies tells stories," the great blogger announced. "Theme parks don't."

The fanbois got a gleam in their eye. They could crush this one. "Everything in a Disney park is there to tell a story. Even the urinals."

Then, another country was heard from.

The reporter of the AP story on Gringotts (which was cited earlier in this thread) chimed in to say the story didn't misrepresent the expansion by calling it a "Harry Potter park" because "We don't say 'Park' in the story. We don't 'misrepresent' anything."

Someone responds, your article mentions "park" three times in the first paragraph.

So the reporter says (direct quotes):
"You are correct. It does. Sorry. I was busy writing and didn't see the final version."
"And I think that if @UniversalORL wanted a correction, they would have contacted us by now."
"I am not sure that you fully understand how much copy I write each week and day. Not just theme parks."
"I do the best I can with the time I have an I try to get everything correct. I feel that our coverage was good."
"Sorry. It's been a long week. I have also written about executions and crime in addition to 3 park stories."

And then even later, someone attempted to find middle ground.

"Theme parks are juvenile and capitalist breeding grounds, but they haven't always been," he said (approximately again). "Once upon a time there was Epcot."

An audible gasp could be heard. A single tear ran down a fanboi's cheek.

"Yes," this defender said, "Epcot was different, but it's all been lost. Now all theme parks build rides that are like summer blockbusters. They don't build rides like 12 Years a Slave or Short Term 12. If only we could build rides that make you reflect on human slavery, or roller coasters about at-risk teenagers. Then these theme parks would really be on to something."

One fanboi could even be heard saying, "But Disney isn't just about rampant consumerism. My proof? Disney brought back the Orange Bird."

Wow!!!

And I missed it. (I've been cutting down my Twitter reading because it truly scares me)

Who was the AP reporter?

SJN1279

Can I ask you something? Are you associated with any Disney blogging site? Podcast? Friends with any Lifestylers? ... Have a Disney travel agency in the family?

Just have to ask ...

I think its cute that you call certain Disney fans Lifestylers, because you think you are above them in some way. When in fact, you are the only insider who feels self important enough to create threads named after himself, which actually contain very little insider info when you get down to it. You are also the only Disney poster, who feels the need to put others down in a way that's hurtful(the overweight, homosexuals, etc), for no good reason.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Canada's Wonderland does this with not only Disney, but other branded character merch not owned for theme park use by Cedar Fair. I guess they sell whatever they think makes money.

I like that approach.

UNI does that to some extent with the shop at the exit of Terminator. I hadn't been in there in probably a decade until April and I was surprised to see DC Comics and Star Wars stuff etc... someone here told me the shop isn't owned by UNI.

WDW1974

Original Poster
My editors and I had out lengthy conversation about this. While it is a mouthful, describing it as "the wizard in world of Harry Potter-Diagon alley at the Universal Orlando resort" which is the proper name of the attraction, is how Us in Photo went ahead and put it.

It's also that kind of splitting hairs that makes people in journalism despise fanbois. While it is not a "Harry Potter Park" it is an expansion to an existing park. And that's a lot of words to put in a photo caption let alone a story.

True, but reporters should use something like 'the new Harry Potter area at UNI" ... but I have taken WDW surveys that call IOA 'the Harry Potter Park' and then UNI as Universal Studios Florida. I am sure there are reasons for that.

AEfx

I think its cute that you call certain Disney fans Lifestylers, because you think you are above them in some way. When in fact, you are the only insider who feels self important enough to create threads named after himself, which actually contain very little insider info when you get down to it. You are also the only Disney poster, who feels the need to put others down in way that's hurtful(the overweight, homosexuals, etc), for no good reason.

I think you misunderstand the term "Lifestyler". By definition, it's not just those who have large amounts of affection for Disney, or the love of theme parks (you'll find that many of us just love theme parks, and until relatively modern history, Disney was the undisputed king), it's someone who has those qualities AND drinks the Kool-Aid.

Very big difference. That Kool-Aid is killer.

BTW, Shame on you WDW1974 if you don't like overweight homosexuals - you better go back and take all those "likes" off of my posts, then, because I'm a Papa Bear. :)

I like that approach.

UNI does that to some extent with the shop at the exit of Terminator. I hadn't been in there in probably a decade until April and I was surprised to see DC Comics and Star Wars stuff etc... someone here told me the shop isn't owned by UNI.

It's the same in Universal California. I feel like even Disneyland had odd merch I wouldn't have normally thought they would carry (Transformers in Tomorrowland I think?). I believe we find it shocking because the whole "branding" virginity thing means more to us than the bean counters who order for the shops - who are gonna put whatever in a store they think will sell the most.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I think its cute that you call certain Disney fans Lifestylers, because you think you are above them in some way. When in fact, you are the only insider who feels self important enough to create threads named after himself, which actually contain very little insider info when you get down to it. You are also the only Disney poster, who feels the need to put others down in way that's hurtful(the overweight, homosexuals, etc), for no good reason.

Hah. You are funny in a special kind of way. ... Do I think I am above most Disney Lifestylers? Is water wet?

Yes, I do have an ego and may be self-important at times (but just a bit!) ... but I never break news stories here ... nah, not even about Potter taking over Amity and connecting to the original area by the HE, not about Georgie K becoming WDW Prez, about all the DVC plans nah ... and in this thread I didn't say a thing about Frozen taking over Maelstrom or Mary Niven being the next DL Prez or SDL rushing to add attractions. You are soooo right.

And I don't put down the overweight ( I need to drop over 25 pounds myself!) or homosexuals. I know that's popular belief down on the PML by folks who don't have the balls to come up here and say it.

But thanks for answering none of my questions.

Last edited:

WDW1974

Original Poster
BTW, Shame on you WDW1974 if you don't like overweight homosexuals - you better go back and take all those "likes" off of my posts, then, because I'm a Papa Bear. :)

I have more friends in the LGBT community than amongst the ... what's the term? ... breeders. They always laugh their off (most are not fat to be fair) when someone accuses me of this absurd bigortry. And that doesn't even count my special fanboi brigade that are always ready to service any needs that may arise!:eek::D:cool: I actually like the propositions much more than the death threats and crazies taking shots at me and even my SO ''Angie'' gets that! My true love Cassandra is a bit more protective of her man!:hungry:

It's the same in Universal California. I feel like even Disneyland had odd merch I wouldn't have normally thought they would carry (Transformers in Tomorrowland I think?). I believe we find it shocking because the whole "branding" virginity thing means more to us than the bean counters who order for the shops - who are gonna put whatever in a store they think will sell the most.

I always am on the lookout for things like that. Part of my OCD personality. Wait til @Lee sees what I just picked up for him ... yes, I'll say ... it really was THAT cheap!

Last edited:

AEfx

True, but reporters should use something like 'the new Harry Potter area at UNI" ... but I have taken WDW surveys that call IOA 'the Harry Potter Park' and then UNI as Universal Studios Florida. I am sure there are reasons for that.

That's what I would say, though "area" sounds a bit weird - I think "land" would be the best, most understood choice, though I don't know if Universal and/or Disney wouldn't like the relative association.

I think this is like the Wii U thing, though - there is a lot of confusion because the initial naming/advertising was unclear, and it's hard to correct first impressions. The base of all the problems with the Wii U was the name - while somehow they struck gold with the "Wii" strangeness the first time, "Wii U" was more abstract and the general public is just now starting to figure out it's it's own console and not just a peripheral or add-on for a Wii. If they'd just called it "Wii 2" it wouldn't be in the boat it is today.

(To veer slightly off-topic yet bring it to Disney, retailers had MASSIVE returns this last holiday season on Disney Infinity Wii/Wii U versions - one, because one was much better than the other for obvious reasons yet the advertising didn't show how gimped the Wii version was, but two, and primarily, because customers saw "Wii" on the "Wii U" package and didn't realize it was a different system. Major chains like TRU were basically taking opened video games back no questions asked over it because it got so bad and folks bought a $75 game that said "Wii" but it wouldn't play in their machine.)

Anyhow, that was a long-winded example of what I think also happened with WWoHP - the name was confusing to begin with ("World" for one), and some early Universal press did make it sound like it's own park, so that's why you see such a huge prevalence of folks who mislabel it in the media, even today. More often than not, I see it wrong rather than correct when I read about it on a non-theme park source. And since we know most of the folks who write those little blurbs are writing them off of press releases, and those that aren't are still subject to editors who don't have the foggiest clue and think they have to overexplain it, it's no wonder it's still the mess it is.

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

Respectfully, additional retail space in DTD does not represent improvements to the theme parks. Essentially, Disney is taking their existing mall and making it bigger. I suspect most of us already have several malls closer to home. :)

Iger and Rasulo build timeshares and stores because they can tie it directly to revenue. They don't 'get' theme parks.

Projects such as road improvements generally are lumped under capital maintenance. These projects are counted as capital expenditures (capex) but are expenditures needed to keep the facilities operational.

In 2013, Disney spent $2.1B on capex. Most of that (at least 2/3) was on Furniture, Fixtures & Equipment (FF&E) or capital maintenance. P&R revenue was at $14B. In other words, Disney spent 15% of revenue on capex.

For comparison, Eisner averaged over 25% before 9/11.

Last year, Universal's capex came in at 26%.

Organizations that are actually investing in their theme parks are spending north of 20%.

Iger and Rasulo are at 15%, with most of what could be considered true investment dollars this year being spent overseas in Shanghai.

Iger and Rasulo have never appreciated WDW's real potential. When it comes to WDW, they'd rather coast. :(
It's because the incorrectly regard it as a mature market. It was an easy defense to the public since they took over in 2005. However, Universal has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that the market hasn't matured.

wogwog

View attachment 56845
I have heard anecdotally that June has been slow for WDW, but not for UNI. But I don't have numbers to back that up ...
  • Don't know about Uni either but a WDW folk who "paid me" for poker lessons tonight said MK was originally blocked out for cast Main Gates from a week or so ago through Aug 8 but had June 20, 21, 28, and 29 unblocked on June 19. I guess if WDW can't get enough rubber band zombies to go to MK they might as well throw the cast members a bone.

Last edited:

AEfx

I always am on the lookout for things like that. Part of my OCD personality. Wait til @Lee sees what I just picked up for him ... yes, I'll say ... it really was THAT cheap!

LOL @Lee - never would have pegged him for having the bromance gene. :)

I too totally notice all the details like that - it's just me, as well. I notice the cash register receipts, the napkins, the branding on the cups...it all registers with me. I think that's the difference between "us" (the folks who get it, if I may be so bold, the "Reality Crew"), the Lifestylers, and the general public.

The general public doesn't give a fig about finding an off-brand product at a competing park.

The Reality Crew notices it, kind of goes "aw..." and misses the old days when it just wasn't necessary, but realizes in reality the cash that buys the product isn't worth any less to the folks running the stores. Gotta sell what sells.

The Lifestyler's head explodes, because they are stuck in a Chinatown "She's my sister/She's my daughter/She's my sister!"-slap fest between "Disney should not be supporting other brands!" (or vice versa), and "But everything Disney does must be cute and wonderful and good and we should be happy with whatever we get!" until their poor minds just can't take it any more. (Rinse, repeat.)

WDW1974

Original Poster
View attachment 56845

Don't know about Uni either but a WDW folk who "paid me" for poker lessons tonight said MK was originally blocked out for cast Main Gates from a week or so ago through Aug 8 but had June 20, 21, 28, and 29 unblocked on june 19. I guess if WDW can't get enough rubber band zombies to go to MK they might as well throw the cast members a bone.

I heard that too. Forgot to ask if there were any blackouts at the other parks this summer at all ... WDW parks, that is.

Sped2424

I firmly believe that the Club 33 expansion is designed to take advantage of all of these Lifestylers/Bloggers ... the ones who have money and don't get in on a 'friend' (you know the kind you find in the Disney fan community) and want to crow about having a membership.

I tried to have a business meeting in the 1901 Lounge (the Club's DCA locale) last month and with all the OC folks who just wanted to crow about their status in the Disney community, decry paying taxes despite all being worth many millions of dollars and act like the workers there were family, I was having very bad 90210 flashbacks.

What I am curious to know is when Disney is going to make the announcement about the FL location. Do you know? This thing was first told to me over a year ago and still nothing, but I know it is happening.
where would a club 33 even go at wdw? Im guessing magic kingdom?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom