The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

mahnamahna101

if both Universal parks go above 10 million a year, what will the parking situation be like??
Parking garage expansion. Maybe 2 10-15 story parking garages for guests... 1 10 story one for employees. A monorail could take guests from another parking lot to the current resort. There's options to allow for more guests to park or arrive at Universal.

Keep in mind that Comcast is already starting to rework the infrastructure to allow for more efficient use of the little land they have.

Magenta Panther

It's just amazing to me what a "bargain" Universal is compared to Disney. I just booked a 3 night stay at Royal Pacific...granted it is later in August..probably after the Florida kids go back to school...and I bought a Universal 2 park Annual Pass. With that pass I saved 110 on my accommodations, and with the various 15% discounts on the City Walk restaurants, the pass is practically a wash, plus I will be on site, have the front of the line pass (of course not for Potter) and will have early entry. Sure...I can do it all in 3 days...but after multiple trips to Orlando, I really don't need a week there anymore. This will be my second consecutive trip to Orlando without setting a foot at the World....there is nothing new there to interest me.

Same reason I'm staying at Universal this fall. Oh, I may head over to WDW for one day to see the Mine Train (hopefully it'll be open/fully functioning) and Harambe Nights (and that will be the first time I will have set foot in AK for three years). But otherwise I'll be enjoying Diagon Alley and maybe FINALLY get on the Spiderman ride everyone keeps raving about...

mahnamahna101

... and DAK/DHS at 10M? IOA is getting closer. Theyre closing the gap.

With Kong, Seuss expansion, Jurassic World revamp for JP, Middle Earth potentially replacing Toon Lagoon, a nighttime show for IOA, something to replace the remains of Lost Continent, and a Potter Phase 3 that could bring a Great Hall table service behind the Hogwarts facade and upgrades to DC; Hollywood Studios is definitely toast by 2017. Animal Kingdom probably by 2019 since Pandora should bring 1-1.5 million more guests over 2 years. Epcot equalled by 2021-2022 unless Future World gets revamped.

It's misguided that SJN1279 thinks DHS, DAK and Epcot are untouchable in terms of attendance. Universal already equals or near equals them in guest spending... once people figure out Universal is the place with exciting, new additions each year, there'll be a shift in how people visit Central Florida's theme parks. DHS hasn't seen any actual new attractions since 2008 (Star Tours II is just a nice enhancement), Epcot and DAK since 2006 (Soarin' is the last ride to be added to EPCOT, while Nemo and Three Caballeros are just overlays pretty much).

All three ride on MK's curtails... Universal won't top the MK's attendance ever. They simply don't have the room for attractions that MK does. But the other three are fair game unless they start fixing those parks.

mahnamahna101

Same reason I'm staying at Universal this fall. Oh, I may head over to WDW for one day to see the Mine Train (hopefully it'll be open/fully functioning) and Harambe Nights (and that will be the first time I will have set foot in AK for three years). But otherwise I'll be enjoying Diagon Alley and maybe FINALLY get on the Spiderman ride everyone keeps raving about...
Ride Spidey... it's the kind of E-ticket Disney hasn't done since Indiana Jones Adventure. FJ, DC, Hulk, Popeye, JPRA, Cat, Mummy, Despicable Me, MIB, the Springfield area and E.T. are also fairly impressive. SDMT had a 2 hr wait the whole time I was at MK so I opted out of the 2 minute family coaster. Believe me when I say get a Fastpass+ if you're going to experience it.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
Yes, but again, that's Disney as well. @ParentsOf4 has done some nice charts showing how WDW prices have outpaced inflation. I agree there is a "we spent $15,000, you're going to see everything, kid!" mentality, but only because WDW has raised prices.

There are guests of all levels of spending doing it from guests staying off-site in $35.00/night hotels to guests staying on-site at $700/night Deluxe Resorts. My experience though shows the guests in off-site or value resorts are much more frenzied than guests at deluxe resorts with the moderates somewhere in between. I know the prices have outstripped inflation greatly, Disney is hardly the only entertainment related company that has done this. The prices are very high right now but they still continue to grow at a good pace, so supply and demand prevail. If the supply of parks/attractions remains limited while the demand continues to grow at an ever increasing pace the prices will rise until demand tapers off, regardless of my personal wishes.

PhotoDave219

With Kong, Seuss expansion, Jurassic World revamp for JP, Middle Earth potentially replacing Toon Lagoon, a nighttime show for IOA, something to replace the remains of Lost Continent, and a Potter Phase 3 that could bring a Great Hall table service behind the Hogwarts facade and upgrades to DC; Hollywood Studios is definitely toast by 2017. Animal Kingdom probably by 2019 since Pandora should bring 1-1.5 million more guests over 2 years. Epcot equalled by 2021-2022 unless Future World gets revamped.

It's misguided that SJN1279 thinks DHS, DAK and Epcot are untouchable in terms of attendance. Universal already equals or near equals them in guest spending... once people figure out Universal is the place with exciting, new additions each year, there'll be a shift in how people visit Central Florida's theme parks. DHS hasn't seen any actual new attractions since 2008 (Star Tours II is just a nice enhancement), Epcot and DAK since 2006 (Soarin' is the last ride to be added to EPCOT, while Nemo and Three Caballeros are just overlays pretty much).

All three ride on MK's curtails... Universal won't top the MK's attendance ever. They simply don't have the room for attractions that MK does. But the other three are fair game unless they start fixing those parks.

IOA & USF combine for 15M/yr. DAK & DHS combine for 20M/yr.

Anyone who thinks that a Potter 3.0 isn't going to happen simply isn't paying attention.

I don't feel Epcot is hurting as bad as people (and the fanboiz) say. DHS is the park that needs the most help, followed by DAK.

rioriz

Playing Devils advocate...

Potter 1 cost over 200 mil and added 1 ride, 1 slightly revamped ride, 1 eating area, and multiple shops in Hogsmeade.

New Fantasy land 500 mil and added 3 rides, lost 1, 1 show, 1 QS and Sit down restaurant, new themed bathrooms, new water feature, 1 slightly revamped ride, and 2 meet and greets...am I forgetting something?

So in the grand scheme of things (devils advocate) I can see how one could say NFL offers more as an expansion than Potter 1.

Potter 2 is a whole nother beast!

rioriz

Potter 1 new ride, 2 revamped ride, 1 eating area, 1 show (ollivanders is equivalent to belle), new themed bathrooms where a ghost mocks you while you pee (or at least that is what it feels like :D) 1 small "impromptu" show area and butterbeer

I forgot about Ollivanders! I will say it is a stretch to say Dueling Dragons was revamped as well as Goofy...besides the references in the queue nothing really changed. At least Flying Unicorn got new car overlaps.

And I guess you can add the Giggle Gang and that drink in Gaston's area if you wanted to include impromptu shows and drinks

gonnichi

Potter 1 new ride, 2 revamped ride, 1 eating area, 1 show (ollivanders is equivalent to belle), new themed bathrooms where a ghost mocks you while you pee (or at least that is what it feels like :D) 1 small "impromptu" show area and butterbeer

I like how you mentioned Butterbeer. It is like an attraction to me. The same way Dolewhips in Adventureland is almost an attraction to me.

Kman101

Epcot isn't "hurting" per say, but neither is DHS, technically, both parks have rides that need (which of course is personal opinion) refurbs. Epcot doesn't need an expansion, but they have an empy pavilion, a restaurant that isn't for guest use, a dated Universe of Energy, a poor Figment attraction, Malestrom is dated (though it does NOT need Frozen) ...
Soarin' is eventually getting an upgrade. I personally don't think Test Track, Mission Space and Nemo have re-rideability (again, IMO). DHS has Star Tours, Tower of Terror, TSMM (which I could do without but it's clearly popular, but likely more so because of the lack of family rides) and RNR (which I don't particularly love but it's fun). I'd say both are fairly equal in my mind of needing a lot of work. DHS needs to refurb Great Movie Ride, update/replace two shows (and put something in an empy theater), expand Pixar Place, and add Star Wars/expand.

Again, lots of that is simply personal preference and opinion. In terms of I guess attendance, DHS needs the help more. But Epcot Future World is in a pretty sad state.

Ignohippo

I don't view it as a Potter issue in a vacuum because if WDW had continued to add, continued to innovate ... hell, just continued to care, I think Potter would simply help everyone in Central Florida, including the Mouse.

But stagnation, outright neglect, contempt for cast and guests and irresponsible spending (yes, talking NGE here all the way because what could you do -- or what could Comcast -- do with a few extra billion dollars?) are what keeps the empire standing.

Potter is just the latest major shot to Disney's business that they will answer with Harambe Nights, the Marketplace Co-Op, a new Starbucks (doesn't City Walk have one too?) and, of course, the SDMT that is being advertised here on ABC in Miami as I type.

Finally? See, call me a UNI fanboi and a Disney hater (I'm definitely one, but not the other!) but I'd argue that five years ago UNI was a top tier park. If you would say TPFKaTD-MGMS was/is top tier, then there is no way you can claim that UNI was not.

And complete resort? Well, many Disney fanbois and soccer blogging moms and BRAND advocates may disagree, but UNI has been a complete resort for years. Has it been lacking in some areas? Absolutely. But to say it wasn't a complete multi-day resort isn't a viable position except by a Disney fan.

I have no idea what Potter is going to do for anyone's business, except for UNI's ... and there's a reason the folks who work at all levels of that resort don't look and act like they just had to put their beloved 18-year-old kitty to sleep (like many WDW workers look daily), but instead look proud, happy and confident.

Agreed on most parts. I would only disagree in that US was lacking in many regards before the past year's additions. Transformers was the major, current property the Studios needed to really elevate it to the top tier. Add in the other additions of the past couple of years (Despicable Me, Potter 2.0, Springfield) and that park is absolutely now the best of the best.

As for the "Resort", Cabana Bay finally adds the much-needed budget and family hotel Uni has been lacking.

And for DHS, Disney as a corporation should be embarrassed, but I imagine they're too busy counting the cash they receive daily from visitors that are too ignorant to know how much better the park could be, or how few actual rides the place has.

They have the opportunity to make DHS the second gate. I say that frequently and I do not take that term lightly. With the properties Disney has at its disposal, and the theme of DHS, it is uniquely positioned to be the second most popular park at WDW.

Serious additions to Pixar Place (Incredibles Ride, Monsters Door Coaster, Bug's Life playground, Toy Story makeover of the Catering Co. and Toy Store, CarsLand) as well as Star Wars would make that park not only the second best park at WDW, but one of the very best parks in the world and suddenly a huge destination for people and families all over the world.

Uni and Potter would no longer be of any concern at all.

Bolna

Also, I would ask that we please don't turn this into a total chatfest on things like why I asked a question, why you shouldn't take Ryanair (the Spirit Air, no affiliation with moi, of Europe) and Disney versus UNI: Chapter 7,897,504. Folks are reading and I don't want to distract them. Thanks.

I guess we are now busy with chapter 7,897,505. I think @WDW1974 would think the same about that as he did of chapter 7,897,504...

Ignohippo

Yep, Disney had 2006-2014 to add new E-tickets, fix broken areas, redo Tomorrowland, etc... instead we got NextGen, a 3/4 finished New Fantasyland with no true E-ticket, and Toy Story Midway Mania (basically a video game in a moving vehicle). Diagon Alley might be the wakeup call for many pixie dusters. Kong and the KidZone replacement should help to shift the paradigm as well. By the 50th anniversary, both parks could easily equal Epcot's attendance IMO.

There'll be a time eventually when Universal gets 2 to 3 days while Disney might get 1 or 2 (MK and Epcot being the parks most people choose). Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom will get hurt bad by Comcast's rapid-fire additions to Universal. They're both in dire need of TLC, but TDO has refused to give them anything substantial since Everest and TSMM. 6 years for DHS, 8 years for DAK... just terrible. 11 years once Pandora finally opens its phase. Meanwhile, we just might see Middle Earth open completely by 2017 :cool: Universal is doing what Disney used to - take guests on exciting adventures to places never seen before.

Very, very well said.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom