The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Mike S

Based on something mentioned that I'm missing, or are you just asking?

The only Tokyo news I've seen (that has gone unmentioned here) is height test balloons for a TDL addition likely to Fantasyland. I can't 100% pin down the angle of the picture though where the site in question is located, but I'm betting someone here can do that for me in a jiffy. ;)

BoRNQKpIAAASiz7.jpg

The other question - is that taller than SDMT?
If that's for a real Frozen ride and all we get is an overlay............... :mad::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

tissandtully

Guest relations as a general rule blows at UNI. I don't like seeing cast walk through the parks with their uniform on.
Yeah, it didn't used to be that way. When I worked at IOA, unless you worked parking, all TM had to park at the cast parking behind. There was no IOA TM parking at the big garages and walking over. I see it all the time now though, TM in toon lagoon attire walking through the garage.

71jason

a new Starbucks (doesn't City Walk have one too?)

New DTD Starbucks > new CityWalk Starbucks. In fairness, it's pretty much better than any other Starbucks I've ever been in, but even MK and EPCOT beat CityWalk--slow-moving and customer service on a level with what I'd expect in a Target location.

Finally? See, call me a UNI fanboi and a Disney hater (I'm definitely one, but not the other!) but I'd argue that five years ago UNI was a top tier park. If you would say TPFKaTD-MGMS was/is top tier, then there is no way you can claim that UNI was not.

Agreed. Since the opening of IoA--even then at worst the #2 theme park in Orlando--and CityWalk, UOR has been a top tier destination. If anything, it was better 5 years ago, because the infrastructure (parking, security, ticketing, customer service) has simply not kept up with the crowds. Their main fear this Summer needs to be that no matter how impressive DA is--and that facade, wow--if it takes guests 3 hours of hell to get to it, will they care any more?

71jason

The problem is USF relied a bunch on shows... something the commando riders always overlook. The same exact mindset that calls DHS and DAK just a few hour diversions.. will say you can do all of USF and IOA in a day. Because they are running from headliner to headliner and skipping over everything else.. and then complaining the park has too little to do.

This x1000. Anyone who says "there's nothing for little kids" has never spent hours with a toddler in "If I Ran the Zoo" or "Curious George." Anyone who says IoA is not themed probably raced to the JP river ride then race out again, missing the Discovery Center and the various bits of theming along the paths. People who fantasize about WDW getting back Marvel don't seem to notice the hot line phone or the FF car or the Iron Man statue in the comics shop or the picture of JJ Jamison with Cap in the Spidey queue.

Disney created the commando mentality with FP. It's had nothing but a negative effect on their parks. If you can appreciate UOR with the same mentality guests had in 1970s-80s WDW, you'll get much more out of your visit.

ChrisFL

Premium Member

The only Tokyo news I've seen (that has gone unmentioned here) is height test balloons for a TDL addition likely to Fantasyland. I can't 100% pin down the angle of the picture though where the site in question is located, but I'm betting someone here can do that for me in a jiffy. ;)

BoRNQKpIAAASiz7.jpg

Looks like the area behind the Queens of Hearts Banquet Hall and Haunted Mansion

https://www.google.com/maps/place/T...ata=!3m1!1e3!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xe4d93636d509d3cb

DKampy

Agreed. Since the opening of IoA--even then at worst the #2 theme park in Orlando--and CityWalk, UOR has been a top tier destination. If anything, it was better 5 years ago, because the infrastructure (parking, security, ticketing, customer service) has simply not kept up with the crowds. Their main fear this Summer needs to be that no matter how impressive DA is--and that facade, wow--if it takes guests 3 hours of hell to get to it, will they care any more?[/QUOTE]

Good question...I know someone who visited Universal for the 1st time when WWoHP opened due to being Harry Potter fanatics...they said never again...it was not worth the hassle...in fact They did not care for the new potter area...and said it was over hyped. I was surprised to hear this...but I believe it was the hell the paved earlier to set the mood and dampen their spirits

Longhairbear

One note on Compass Rose for the folks here interested and following because it's just so damn obvious, but why is a company that has a market capt of $140 billion (give or take) selling off its 'blessing of size' -- the very land behind the MK -- for a paltry $76,000 per acre to Horizon West for continued residential development (i.e. suburban sprawl)?

Isn't the less desirable Golden Oak (talking location here) selling for over $900,000 for a quarter of an acre (I might be a little and I do mean a little high on that)?

Anyone find this odd? Does WDW Co really need the $18 million (George and Andy could come up with that, no joke) that badly? Does TWDC need it? What would the motivation be behind the continued divestiture of land, land that was bough by Walt and his men in the mid-60s, that started under Eisner and has taken off under Iger?

What am I missing? And why did Compass Rose Corporation morph from an apparent real estate acquisition tool into a multi- platform cable operator -- TV/Internet/Telecom -- among other things?

Yeah, some of those 'other things' has this Spirit asking what the hell is Disney really doing?

Oh well, time for some hoops ...
Would this have anything at all to do with NGE and it's cost?

lazyboy97o

BoRNQKpIAAASiz7.jpg

My quick guess would be that the photo was taken from Bayside Station. I too am curious to know more precisely as Fantasyland is rather packed on its back edge.

Definitely taller than Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Is TDL's MK a virtual clone in layout as our MK, or is it closer to Anaheim?
Its a more unique layout that its forms suggest.

Longhairbear

I have to say I am rather po'd at DVC member services at the moment. We didn't get our waitlist at the Grand California Villas. I had to go to the DVC website to confirm that I would not be staying at a Disneyland resort, and therefore would not be going to Disneyland for a 3 night mini vacation.
Me thinks their priorities are a bit intercoursed. No follow up for alternate accommodations were offered. That's a huge fail in my book.
They don't even offer a full price, never mind a discounted price, on a resort stay to make sure I go there. Has it gotten to the point that they don't care, and that the rooms will fill anyway?

culturenthrills

New DTD Starbucks > new CityWalk Starbucks. In fairness, it's pretty much better than any other Starbucks I've ever been in, but even MK and EPCOT beat CityWalk--slow-moving and customer service on a level with what I'd expect in a Target location.

Agreed. Since the opening of IoA--even then at worst the #2 theme park in Orlando--and CityWalk, UOR has been a top tier destination. If anything, it was better 5 years ago, because the infrastructure (parking, security, ticketing, customer service) has simply not kept up with the crowds. Their main fear this Summer needs to be that no matter how impressive DA is--and that facade, wow--if it takes guests 3 hours of hell to get to it, will they care any more?

My biggest beef with Universal this spring has been their unwillingness to staff parking properly for Mardi Gras and not opening the second toll plaza which has caused massive backups that spill out onto the roadways.

SJN1279

No way any Universal park beats a Disney park in attendance anytime soon. Families drive Orlando attendance, and Universal lacks solid family attractions.

-For the poster saying that Universal will surpass Epcot in attendance over the next few years: Kong vs. Frozen will be a blowout on the Disney side. I love King Kong, but he peaked in the 1930's, Frozen is hot now.

Also for all the doom and gloom over next gen, I found Fastpass plus to be an amazing upgrade over the original version of the system. Being able to gain fastpasses on my phone, instead of running around the park like a lunatic was a very nice change by the company.

Oh, and I was just at Disney, and Imagination was still open........

rioriz

BoRNQKpIAAASiz7.jpg

It was mentioned (and I forget where) that TDL was pitched a third gate recently...

71jason

My biggest beef with Universal this spring has been their unwillingness to staff parking properly for Mardi Gras and not opening the second toll plaza which has caused massive backups that spill out onto the roadways.

I totally agree. I would add security seemed understaffed this year as well. And if you're going to run an event 5 months straight, you need a better option than a theme-ruining tent city that is only open 6 hours a week.

No question UOR builds amazing stuff. But they stumble when it comes to day-to-day operations.

SJN1279

On the TEA list? No, probably not.

Even then, people on the internet are far too focused on attendance, when in the grand scheme of things it means little to the health of these parks.

Both Disney and Universal are going to thrive for years to come. I just don't see Universal surpassing Disney anytime soon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom