The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Bolna

Lookup to what main hubs John Wayne Airport flies.. and then figure out which has the best deals to Germany. Flying to say Denver or Chicago.. and then to SNA may be better for you overall than flying to LAX. SNA is close enough you can take an affordable cab or shuttle and the scale and age of the airport is much more agreeable than LAX.

Thanks as well for the tip! But there are several reasons why LAX makes more sense for me: My local airport is only 20 minute away by underground (station in front of my house, direct train to airport), but does not have any intercontinental flights. So I need to connect in Europe anyway - and I prefer to only have two legs, not three legs on a long flight. Second, I try to avoid having to catch a connecting flight in the US when I first enter the country. You never know how long it takes to get through immigration and I really don't want to stand in a line that beats the standby line for RSR at DL getting in panic of missing my connecting flight and then repeat this for security and then navigate through a huge airport from the international terminal to the one that the domestic flight departs from. And finally, it's just much nicer to be able to get off the long flight and know that that's it and I don't have to get back on a plane again. :) I hate that coming back as well, but then I am in a bad mood anyway because the vacation is over... ;)

TeriofTerror

Ugh, no way. Zero interest. I've been completely enamored with the Stanley Cup playoffs, more specifically the run my Kings have been having. The series against the Hawks was perhaps the best 7 game series I've ever seen. Shame more people can't get into the sport. It's easily the best live sport IMO, once you figure out the game.
NBA Finals? Stanley Cup playoffs? You people need to sort out your priorities. (JK) ;) It's baseball season, baby! :happy:

Goofyernmost

Because one airline sucks and the other is awesome :)
My philosophy is that any flight you can talk about the next day, is a tremendous flight. My expectations are very singular. When I was sent to Vietnam, we were in an American Airline plane. It was one step above the Wright Bros. Torn seats and so ancient that they had to add Geritol to the fuel mixture. The important thing is that it made it all the way half way around the world. All the rest was just bling.

mahnamahna101

Sorry, but I already have two, through the natural way. Along with a quartet of grands.

But my point, which may not have come through very well, is that even though I've been around quite a bit, I still enjoy going to WDW, but not because of what the company has done. They're efforts lately have been remiss. They're blatant money grabs with the new hard ticket events is disgusting; the lack of new attractions is disturbing (the SDMT kiddie coaster notwithstanding). So I enjoy going to WDW not because of what the company has done, but in spite of that. Yes, memories play a large part, but the legacy things that are still around seem to overcome the disappointments such that we still end up there on weekends.

But note that I mentioned buying the APs to UNI; those parks are becoming much more interesting, and that is overcoming the different demographics that UNI involves. We are not "hard and edgy", but the new attractions offset the "warm and fuzzy" that WDW engenders.

Actually went to the Studios twice this weekend, to see the Mark Hamill interviews. Saw them from the Idol theater. They were great; Hamill was fantastic. This is what drives me to go to the parks, the unique things that I can't get anywhere else.
SDMT has 120 minute waits on a day where Space Mountain stayed around 60-65 minutes most of the day... MK's desperate for new rides (removing the Speedway and expanding beyond the berm would help Space out slightly, Adventureland could use an E-ticket of some sort, Frontierland could use a family dark ride and potentially Geyser Mountain if they ever managed to rework backstage and build beyond the berm, Fantasyland is fairly well-rounded, but an Arendale mini-land is just waiting to happen beyond the berm).

Reworking backstage areas might be a little costly, but it would provide the space necessary to increase capacity and lessen the burden on major attractions like the Mountains, SDMT, etc.

doctornick

My philosophy is that any flight you can talk about the next day, is a tremendous flight. My expectations are very singular. When I was sent to Vietnam, we were in an American Airline plane. It was one step above the Wright Bros. Torn seats and so ancient that they had to add Geritol to the fuel mixture. The important thing is that it made it all the way half way around the world. All the rest was just bling.

Yeah, I personally find complaining about quality of flights to be silly (I largely feel the same way about hotel rooms) -- I view them as utilitarian and that their purpose is to get you from Point A to Point B. Everyone onboard a flights gets to the destination at the same time.

Everyone's opinion is different, but I'd personally save money and be able to spend it on more stuff to do (or a longer trip) at my destination than have marginally better food or service or legroom on my flight. YMMV.

doctornick

There was nothing wrong with @WDW1974 's question. If you did not like it, do not answer it... pretty simple.

There is nothing wrong with it, of course, but it's certainly a leading question. I don't see how pointing out that it is a leading question designed to evoke a specific type of response is an issue.

Edit: Here is the question that was asked...

"A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?"

A nice open opened question, if one wanted to get a variety of honest responses, would be something like....

"A serious question to all the folks in this message board community: Are you planning to visit WDW in 2014 or 2015? And what particular things are motivating you to visit or not do so?"

Mike S

Yeah, I personally find complaining about quality of flights to be silly (I largely feel the same way about hotel rooms) -- I view them as utilitarian and that their purpose is to get you from Point A to Point B. Everyone onboard a flights gets to the destination at the same time.

Everyone's opinion is different, but I'd personally save money and be able to spend it on more stuff to do (or a longer trip) at my destination than have marginally better food or service or legroom on my flight. YMMV.
Funny you mention hotel rooms. The last time I drove up to Orlando I stayed in a room that I could tell wasn't cleaned before I got there. Want to know how I could tell? There was what appeared to be dried blood on the sheets. No joke. The floor was filthy as well. Thank god we didn't stay there all trip and went to Pop Century.

flynnibus

Premium Member

When you are flying 2-4hrs... that is easy to agree with. When you are flying for 5, 14, 20+ hours... you will change your tune :)

There is big difference between 'practical' and 'physically painful'. Once you fly in the personal cubbies popular now in business class.. with Video on Demand, laydown seats, power, and decent meals.. you will appreciate the difference between that and being stuffed into a 2'x2' square where you can't even get the can of soda anymore, it's disruptive to everyone to get up, and you must sit in a chair designed for some fictional person that never existed.

I even pick my flight routes based on the airplane used for the route.. because I know the seat variations and entertainment offerings.

The truth is, even the domestic carriers use their crappiest planes for the domestic routes. I mean.. 13" CRTs down the aisle for entertainment is the 90s...

doctornick

When you are flying 2-4hrs... that is easy to agree with. When you are flying for 5, 14, 20+ hours... you will change your tune :)

I've flown to Europe, Asia (Far East and Middle East) and the South Pacific. I've never flown anything other than coach in my life. I've endured just fine.

Would I prefer to be in business class or first class? Of course. But the massive difference in cost makes it seem silly to me when that money can be put to better uses. Again, YMMV.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've flown to Europe, Asia (Far East and Middle East) and the South Pacific. I've never flown anything other than coach in my life. I've endured just fine.

Would I prefer to be in business class or first class? Of course. But the massive difference in cost makes it seem silly to me when that money can be put to better uses. Again, YMMV.

I would never pay the 2-5x the fare... but I would steer my selections to get FF miles and upgrade when I can :) The old days when Business just meant a slightly bigger seat and better service.. it was nothing to worry about (tho it was nice to be upgraded). But now with the cubbies, the space difference, etc it's night and day.

Unfortunately the carriers are also making it much more expensive and difficult to get upgraded :/

Kman101

I really don't see why his question is being made out to be such a big deal. If you don't like what's being said in a thread, no one's forcing anyone to read it.

tamotu99

Thats because First class is pretty much disappearing, and business class is being transformed into a halfway house between old first and business class, with premium economy being closer to the old style business class.

Apart from a few routes, mostly Europe to Asia that is, where the first class is becoming something else altogether, and to be honest completely unreasonable. Who needs a private suite, with a double bed, a door you can lock etc etc for more than £10,000 for a 10 hour flight, that is ridiculous

But i book a flight based on 3 main criteria, the route, the airline and the price (not neccesairly in order)

If its a flight under say 3 hours then price is the most important factor, i can put up with just about anything for that amount of time (though still avoid ryanair if possible) above that you are starting to look at the airline , and then for the really long flights youa re looking at the route, where is your layover (always choose hong kong or singapore when going east)

Some of my prefered airlines for long distance are Air Ne Zealand, Qantas (though not as good as they were 5 or so years ago), Cathay Pacific, Thai, Singapore, Virgin and swiss, i will also use BA at a push

Short Distance are German Wings, EasyJet, AirAsia, Jetstar and Pegasus

Nemo14

I really don't see why his question is being made out to be such a big deal. If you don't like what's being said in a thread, no one's forcing anyone to read it.
th

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom