The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

WDW1974

Original Poster
The reason why people get upset is because of the way these questions are posed. They don't appear to be simple questions, but rather ones with a rather judgmental and condescending tone to them. And let me be clear, your question did not upset me at all, but I can see why some people would get upset, especially with your critical background when it comes to WDW. Also, tone in type is nearly impossible to comprehend so I can see why people think your questions aren't simply just questions. ;)

Nah, I think people get defensive and start taking things personally and act like I am talking about them. I don't generally discuss individuals here unless there is cause. ... My questions may be critical, but judgmental or condescending? Um ... I don't know how one gets that out of a question unless one wants to get that.

Of course it's people that make the memories, but your particular chosen location is just as important. And of course nostalgia is also a big part of the draw to WDW. I remember going as a 5 year old child with my parents and how much I loved it, which translates into why I love going as an adult. How is a WDW vacation any different than going snow skiing, hiking in the Ozarks, etc.? It isn't. But, I also have emotional attachments to those locations as well because I have fond childhood memories of going with my family to. So guess what, I take vacations there as well. Your childhood memories, especially the good ones, will no doubt influence your choice of vacation destinations. WDW is no different.

Sure. But I went to many places as a child and had many great vacations, yet some of those places I have never been back to. Others I have ... but I am not afraid to expand my horizons and see what else is out there. Some WDW chronics absolutely are afraid to go anywhere else ... even the thought of DL scares the pooh out of them because it is located in crazy anything-goes (in their minds) SoCal.

Again, it's as if you're agreeing with yourself on these points. WDW is a vacation destination like all of the places you listed. If you and your family had a great time at any of these locations, wouldn't that influence your choice in the following years? Of course it would, just like any normal family.

It would be weird and a bit unhinged if I did not agree with myself, doncha think? Oh, and my family is most definitely not normal and I am quite happy about that!

I don't think it turns anyone into anything that they aren't, but it surely does help bring forth the inner child in some people. It's not just WDW for me though, I get giddy every time I take any vacation. But for WDW, the nostalgia part of it definitely comes through when I think back on my childhood trips with my mom and dad. There's no doubt an emotional attachment to the place.

No doubt. And that differs from person to person. Some people go back because they have had good times and enjoy the place, others go because they are addicted to a BRAND and marketing. Then there are those who go because they feel it's something you have to do once etc ...

There's no doubt that becoming more cultured by exploring places in America and other countries is something people should do. I love history so I enjoy Charleston, Savannah, Philadelphia, etc. and go to these historical cities every chance I get. However, I don't bemoan and get upset because someone chooses to stay within their safety net at WDW. It's ultimately their loss and their money. I've always looked at WDW as a safe place, free of the outside world. I don't turn a tv on, and basically get lost in my own world while there. WDW has changed for the worst in that area, which has caused me to cut back on my trips (I haven't been since 2010). I no longer feel that disconnect from the outside world like I used to.

Safe place? As safe as any city of its size that is a terrorist target could be and has a very poor population and lots of crime, sure. ... Free of the outside world? Nope. That is a line I won't yet people get away with using because as long as you visit with tens of thousands of others daily, you are experiencing the real world. The good, the bad and the ugly. ... I get how people back in the sleepy 70s and 80s could feel disconnected from the world at WDW. But now? With smart phones, the 'net and social media joining the throngs of humanity? Nah, don't see that.

And for the record, you can read through my posts here and see that I'm every bit as critical and concerned about the future of WDW as you and other posters here. Again, I think people got upset with your question simply because they associated it with your previous posts here. It's hard to fault them for that. After all, you are the "spirited" one. :)

I think people need to relax a bit and not take everything as an attack on their right to share the earth as a life form. Otherwise, they may be in for a long, very hot summer if I can't find a proper Faux Top One Percent Spirited Summer Holiday!

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
You have to wonder who approves these WDW tour scripts? Or who supervises their implementation and presentation to paying customers?

It was obvious to me that the Keys To The Kingdom Tour script writer and department supervisor have no Internet access and no ability to telephone the Disney Company archives in Burbank, nor any access to archival Imagineering documents in Glendale. And yet they sell this product to people who do have Internet access?

It was like the tour script was pieced together by a perky and energetic group of summer camp counselors with a troubling Walt fetish, and cut off from all communication with the outside world.

I had taken this tour a few years ago. Perhaps I was fortunate enough to simply have an educated cast-member, but I don't recall anyone claiming that Walt designed and built the Magic Kingdom that stands today. The design input of Walt's that was mentioned focused on what Walt wanted to change and adjust from Disneyland, and adapt it to Florida. Though it was after his death that these ideals were finally realized, and they were only realized by the people who actually built the park.

Perhaps some overly ambitious cast-members (and moreover the cleverly manipulative tour description on the website) take the "influence" a bit to far in their tours to give the false-impression that Walt had a first handed influence on the park. Thankfully mine did not.;)

WDW1974

Original Poster
And you might be mistaken. ;) I also watched the Belmont yesterday. But you did say "largely."

I am always smart enough to not speak in absolutes unless I am absolutely sure!

I did too ... I don't see us ever having another Triple Crown winner under the current circumstances.

Now, are you watching the NBA Finals?

Nadal or Federer who s better all time?

UGH ... that is very tough. I'd lean toward Nadal, but ... let's see when they are both finished.

WDW1974

Original Poster
thats a little disingenuous, isn't it? You skewed the question hard to get the answers that you were fishing for.

No, not at all.

I wasn't fishing for anything beyond honest answers from others. I'm not quite sure what you think I was looking for. I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on a WDW vacation nor would I tell others that they should. I have been very clear about that.

WDW1974

Original Poster
His dad mentioned it to him. Just because some guy that you supposedly knew once didn't mention it to you doesn't change anything.

The 'some guy I once knew' is the current President of WDW and was the VP of EPCOT when the decision to take the building down and the decision to build Mission Space were made. The information I am putting forth I am attributing to him.

While I believe the structural issues part, because I was told there were some, the sinkhole story is bunk. Common sense and knowledge of them would tell you that Disney would have had a HUGE problem on its hands if one existed in that area. ... I have no doubt that this was a popular story with workers at that time. I know it was. But structural issues in a building do not equal sinkhole.

Funmeister

No, not at all.

I wasn't fishing for anything beyond honest answers from others. I'm not quite sure what you think I was looking for. I wouldn't spend thousands of dollars on a WDW vacation nor would I tell others that they should. I have been very clear about that.

"Fishing" answers for what is what I would like to know!?!? It amazes me that some people who post here dislike @WDW1974 so much they try to make everything he says into an f'ing conspiracy theory. What in the WORLD could he possibly do to offend fanbois by asking an honest question? If someone else asked the same question there would not have been that much backlash.

EPCOTCenterLover

I read Spirit's posts because I enjoy the behind the scenes stuff. And let's be honest, for those who remember DL before WDW and everything else that came after, we remember the standards that used to be. It's hard not to make the comparisons.

Goofyernmost

"Fishing" answers for what is what I would like to know!?!? It amazes me that some people who post here dislike @WDW1974 so much they try to make everything he says into an f'ing conspiracy theory. What in the WORLD could he possibly do to offend fanbois by asking an honest question? If someone else asked the same question there would not have been that much backlash.
It has been explained by more then one poster the reason that this particular question was looked at skeptically. If you choose not to acknowledge those reasons, well, it doesn't really change anything does it. Saying that others are turning things into a conspiracy is, ah, pretty ironic.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Don't forget about Mat Damons movie "Promised Land" about anti-fracking was mostly funded by the royal family of the UAE. Companies likr WB, Paramount, and Universal are all cashing in as well. WB signed a multi-billion dollar contract already with the UAE

Oh yeah. I don't believe this is a Disney issue. It is an industry issue. BUT ... I care about what Disney does because I am a shareholder and I am a consumer of their products.

The new Four Seasons hotel in Orlando is coming along nicely and It will no doubt be extremely lavish but the money is coming from heavily UAE connected Prince Alwaleed who is a co-owner of the hotel chain. His partner is Monsanto loving Bill Gates.

Yes, it is. And I am sure the fact they are building a suite with NINE bedrooms (not nine rooms) tells you that the royals will be using it.

The Beverly Hills Hotel and The Hotel Bel-Air are already under fire from protesters due to the owner being the Sultan of Brunei who's country is under sharia law. It's funny how the LA Clippers fiasco received so much attention for weeks yet the Hotels being owned by a ruler who allows gays to be jailed and killed gets very little coverage. Such fair and balanced news. Donald Sterling may be racist, but he's got nothing on the Sultan.

Oh, I know those establishments quite well. I used to drink (and dine) at the Bel-Air quite regularly, perhaps, even with some folks whose names have been dropped by me from time to time. But as soon as I found out about the ownership, I stopped. Of course having an industry friend tell me that ''as a Jew, I need special permission to be allowed into Brunei'' was more than enough from me. ... I think the Sultan may well decide to sell. Not because anyone can force him to, but because he only wants those properties as 'American trophies' and if all the celebs stay away, they are simply nice hotels with history.

As to the coverage, Sterling is so much easier a target than the Sultan of Brunei. Of course one of them is a vile disgusting despot who needs a regime change ... and the other is Donald Sterling.

There's all kinds of dots to be connected here and the rabbit hole goes quite deep. I guess the UAE is hoping their image and "brand" will come out cleaner looking on the other end if they give enough people money

That is exactly what they are hoping. It makes me sick to my stomach that Horn made a deal with the devil for dollars.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No, not at all.

To be clear I would be glad to visit WDW and not have to spend the thousands of dollars;). If I fly it costs at least a grand to get there for my family of 4. Once you tack on park tickets, rooms and meals and I'm in for thousands (plural) for a week. I don't know anybody who can get me in for free or get me free or discount rooms or meals. I wish I did:).

Funmeister

It has been explained by more then one poster the reason that this particular question was looked at skeptically. If you choose not to acknowledge those reasons, well, it doesn't really change anything does it. Saying that others are turning things into a conspiracy is, ah, pretty ironic.

Like I said....if someone else asked the question.....

WDW1974

Original Poster
Fares to Japan are brutal. Especially when you want to splurge on Business for the 12 hour flight.

But whatever you do, don't fly an American carrier to Japan; with their battle-tank stewardesses in polyester potato sacks and a bad attitude serving microwaved slop. Fly Japan Airlines or All Nippon Airways and you'll think you went to heaven with gracious, attractive stewardesses in elegant uniforms serving edible food with an intense focus on the passenger experience and hospitality. No request is too small, the plane is immaculate, and the staff is pitch-perfect. If you can swing a Premium Economy seat on JAL or ANA, you'll get a domestic first class seat, free booze, and more courtesy from your cabin hostess than you ever thought possible.

But man, they sure don't offer any deals on the routes to Tokyo or Osaka!

I would say in general to stay away from domestic carriers internationally. I used to love Continental's Business First product, but United has just butchered the only high quality domestic carrier.

I can't say I have flown a bad foreign carrier, and that even includes Europe's answer to SW in EasyJet. When I have a decent experience on a domestic carrier as I did two weeks ago on Delta, that is cause for celebration. About time we let the foreign carriers into USA service.

The Mom

Premium Member

I did too ... I don't see us ever having another Triple Crown winner under the current circumstances.

UGH ... that is very tough. I'd lean toward Nadal, but ... let's see when they are both finished.

No, I don't follow pro basketball.

BernardandBianca

Are you looking to adopt a polite, well-behaved, middle aged Disney enthusiast?
Sorry, but I already have two, through the natural way. Along with a quartet of grands.

But my point, which may not have come through very well, is that even though I've been around quite a bit, I still enjoy going to WDW, but not because of what the company has done. They're efforts lately have been remiss. They're blatant money grabs with the new hard ticket events is disgusting; the lack of new attractions is disturbing (the SDMT kiddie coaster notwithstanding). So I enjoy going to WDW not because of what the company has done, but in spite of that. Yes, memories play a large part, but the legacy things that are still around seem to overcome the disappointments such that we still end up there on weekends.

But note that I mentioned buying the APs to UNI; those parks are becoming much more interesting, and that is overcoming the different demographics that UNI involves. We are not "hard and edgy", but the new attractions offset the "warm and fuzzy" that WDW engenders.

Actually went to the Studios twice this weekend, to see the Mark Hamill interviews. Saw them from the Idol theater. They were great; Hamill was fantastic. This is what drives me to go to the parks, the unique things that I can't get anywhere else.

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, recall last night that I said I may need some help. Here it is:

It involves sourcing something that has come into my possession.

Does anyone here know about Disney's use of the Compass Rose Corporation, incorporated in April of 1965? It is listed as the company of record for various FCC licenses (a sample is here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fle&stid=12&en=COMPASS ROSE CORPORATION ...) and appears to have been, initially, a tool for land acquisition during Walt's days.

It is listed as an "affiliated company" and the ownership of the same by TWDC does not appear to be clear or complete -- I would say more muddled. Yet, Disney's typical roster of corporate agents and officeholders out of Burbank and Glendale is there for this 'Compass Rose Corporation'.

I know Compass Rose has been utilized by TWDC to obscure real estate transactions over the years to the present day. In fact, not too long ago, Disney sold 234 acres to Horizon West (the master-planned development north of the MK and south of Windermere) for the rather small, curiously so, amount of $18 million.

Compass Rose Corporation is separate and distinct, however, from the shell companies employed by Disney to acquire the land on which WDW itself was built. Those companies are known to be Latin American Development, Ayefour Corporation, Tomahawk Corporation, Reedy Creek Ranch Inc., Bay Lake Properties Inc., and Compass EAST Corporation.

The other aforementioned shell corporations were folded into Compass East in September of 1966 which a year later became the Walt Disney World Company. Standing alone, Compass Rose Corporation has existed and operated for nearly 50 years now. Largely, it appears, to dissolve of real estate and hold the telecommunications backbone of Disney's resort properties. (Although, as just one anomaly of many produced, the site vacationsurvey.com, for example, was a Compass Rose Corporation endeavor.)

The former Buena Vista Communications/Vista-United is now part of Smart City Telecom, but Compass Rose appears to hold much of the required licensing for the flow of communications at WDW. And, again, shows itself in real estate transactions where there is an apparent intent to distance WDW and TWDC from the operations of Compass Rose.

I have been made aware of various items of interest that indicate Compass Rose Corporation has a more significant role and the FCC licenses attached to it may speak to that as does Disney's effort to make this apparent subsidiary appear to be something other than that.

Does anyone here have any more information on how and why Disney is employing this very old tool of Walt's era?

If you wish to keep it private, then that is fine too ... PM me and we can take it off the site to email.
There's just some 'odd' things that may be perfectly normal with an explanation so ... anyone help?

John

Nadal or Federer who s better all time?

Not taking anything away from Nadal....he is an excellent player but I will take Federer. I think Federer had to play much tougher opponents such as Sampras, Agassi etc. I was also pleasantly surprised to see Sharapova win. Russian girls rock!

I am watching, how much attention would have been paid if say Tim Duncan got cramps? You picked the Heat in six, that's a good safe pic but I wouldn't call it a slam dunk.....IF the Spurs win tonight there is no way the Heat win four in a row. If this happens San Antonio has a legitimate shot. Most people say that it depends on how James plays, I say it depends on how Wade plays.

PhotoDave219

OK, recall last night that I said I may need some help. Here it is:

It involves sourcing something that has come into my possession.

Does anyone here know about Disney's use of the Compass Rose Corporation, incorporated in April of 1965? It is listed as the company of record for various FCC licenses (a sample is here http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?action=fle&stid=12&en=COMPASS ROSE CORPORATION ...) and appears to have been, initially, a tool for land acquisition during Walt's days.

It is listed as an "affiliated company" and the ownership of the same by TWDC does not appear to be clear or complete -- I would say more muddled. Yet, Disney's typical roster of corporate agents and officeholders out of Burbank and Glendale is there for this 'Compass Rose Corporation'.

I know Compass Rose has been utilized by TWDC to obscure real estate transactions over the years to the present day. In fact, not too long ago, Disney sold 234 acres to Horizon West (the master-planned development north of the MK and south of Windermere) for the rather small, curiously so, amount of $18 million.

Compass Rose Corporation is separate and distinct, however, from the shell companies employed by Disney to acquire the land on which WDW itself was built. Those companies are known to be Latin American Development, Ayefour Corporation, Tomahawk Corporation, Reedy Creek Ranch Inc., Bay Lake Properties Inc., and Compass EAST Corporation.

The other aforementioned shell corporations were folded into Compass East in September of 1966 which a year later became the Walt Disney World Company. Standing alone, Compass Rose Corporation has existed and operated for nearly 50 years now. Largely, it appears, to dissolve of real estate and hold the telecommunications backbone of Disney's resort properties. (Although, as just one anomaly of many produced, the site vacationsurvey.com, for example, was a Compass Rose Corporation endeavor.)

The former Buena Vista Communications/Vista-United is now part of Smart City Telecom, but Compass Rose appears to hold much of the required licensing for the flow of communications at WDW. And, again, shows itself in real estate transactions where there is an apparent intent to distance WDW and TWDC from the operations of Compass Rose.

I have been made aware of various items of interest that indicate Compass Rose Corporation has a more significant role and the FCC licenses attached to it may speak to that as does Disney's effort to make this apparent subsidiary appear to be something other than that.

Does anyone here have any more information on how and why Disney is employing this very old tool of Walt's era?

If you wish to keep it private, then that is fine too ... PM me and we can take it off the site to email.
There's just some 'odd' things that may be perfectly normal with an explanation so ... anyone help?

I pulled the license info on WPJV496 and KUJ399.

Per the license, WPJV496 says:

90.35A1 - RADIOS WILL BE USED TO COORDINATE DAILY MAINTENANCE ACTIVITIES ASSOCIATED WITH THE EPCOT CENTER THEME PARK FACILITY, THESE ACTIVITIES INCLUDE ACTIONS NECESSARY TO ASSURE SAFETY TO BOTH GUESTS AND EMPLOYEES TO PROVIDE MAXIMUM OPERATING EFFECIENCY.

(Efficiency is spelled wrong on the form and left that way.)

KUJ399 says it was cancelled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom