The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

TeriofTerror

I find it interesting, that those who explain why they are vacationing at WDW, in the majority seem to be DVC owners. If you don't count the purchase price, I do think that this does not fall under what @WDW1974 asked for, as he asked who was willing to spend thousands of dollars.

I do think there is a difference between going to WDW because it is a nice place to escape for a reasonable amount of money, because your accommodation is pre-payed or going on a pricey vacation to WDW.

After a visit back to DL earlier this year (my third after 1992 and 2005) I recently realised that the Disney destination that I find myself planning trips to in my head is indeed DL. Part of that might be that I have spent less time there, but for many years it used to be WDW. So, currently my thinking is that if I end up in Florida to take a cruise on the Disney Fantasy (need to get on one of the new ships!), of course I would want to visit WDW for a few days. But I am no longer sitting here in Germany constantly checking flight prices to Orlando hoping for some deals to come out. I find myself watching flight prices to LAX instead.
If you count my annual dues, APs, travel, and food I am paying four digits - just far less than others. ;) And I suppose I could rent my points to someone else and use the money for another vacation, but quite simply, I don't want to. I've traveled to a lot of places (foreign and domestic), but I know at WDW I'm always going to feel safe, happy, and well taken care of. And looking at Disney's numbers, I'd say I'm not alone. Is it perfect? Hell, no. Is there a lot of room for improvement? Absolutely. Am I going to go anyway and have a great time? You bet. Otherwise, why in the heck would I be spending so much time discussing and reading about WDW?

Goofyernmost

I'm not a good but I approve this post!
If you were intending to say "I'm not a goof", but, didn't, than you are indeed a goof. Not a good goof, but a goof none the less. ;):joyfull:

If I am being honest, the thing that is making us excited to come back to Disney in August is simply Disney World itself. My family and my brother's family get together and go for 10 days when we can. We are going to Universal and staying at the Hard Rock for 3 nights, and then going to Disney and staying at the Contemporary for the rest of our trip.

I am sure people will scoff that we are staying at a deluxe resort and say how much of a waste of money it is, but we love staying there. It has great restaurants, great views, and the MK is a short walk away. Plus the monorail makes our trip much easier.

I will admit I am most excited for the Potter expansion, and cannot wait to see what they have done over there. However, what makes us go back to Disney is the whole vibe of the place. We wake up early and go from morning to late night. We smile, laugh, joke around, and have a very upbeat morale the whole time we are there. We forget about real life, and just live for a week or so like we are children again. And our kids love seeing us act that way too.

I do think Disney needs to get on their horse and start creating new attractions, but Disney will probably always get our money every year or 2 just because it is the one place that has the ability to make us all one big group of kids again.
Does anyone besides me see that the all knowing, cool kids that inhabit these threads are making people feel like they need to apologize because they do things, just because they like too. No one should need to be concerned about people scoffing at them, when where you go and what you do is 100% your business and none of theirs.

I am an advocate for offsite, but, I don't care if others want to stay onsite. Heck, I have a daughter that stays onsite all the time (nothing that I taught her) and I have yet to cut her out of the will. If someone comes on and says that they cannot go to WDW because they can't afford it and in the same breath say because the resorts are too expensive, I might jump in there and say that there is an alternative to spending that much money. What it boils down too is that they enjoy the resorts and that is their focus. My focus is on the parks and every single one of the resort hotels could burn down tomorrow and I wouldn't even blink. But, that's me.

That was a lot of words to just say, if that is what you love to do, I don't know of anyone that has the right to make you feel bad about it. Have a great time.

Last edited:

Next Big Thing

Technically,on paper, they don't. But they have an inflated housing allowance taken out of their wages, and are required to live in the Disney dorms. Drops "real world" pay to under minimum wage, from what I've been told.
Not all are required to live in the Disney dorms as not all are CPs. Hell, not even all CPs are required to. After you get accepted, you have the option to stay elsewhere (non-disney housing).

Next Big Thing

A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?
As a local and an AP holder, I go just for the fun of going. New attractions and entertainment are fun and I certainly wish they'd add more faster, but I still love going. I normally go with groups of close to 10 people, all AP holders, who are all big Disney fans (and many of us performers as well so we tend to make a scene...). Most of us are between the ages of 18-21, so yes, we weren't around during WDW's heyday, but that's not our fault! I am looking forward to Diagon though definitely, even thinking of braving the crowds for opening day (whenever that may be).

asianway

hey guys, sorry to interrupt.. but question:

Does most of the staff and CMS at Tokyo Disneyland, Hong Kong's and DisneySea speak english?
or they all speak mostly their local dialects?
Hong Kong was an English colony so no problems there. In Tokyo most don't speak a lick of English but there's English menus and guide maps. Expect to do lots of pointing and some pantomime. I've never had a problem

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
I'm not sure why anyone needs to explain or justify their choice of vacation destination.
Do you feel victimized by the question? Theres a thread in the General Discussion board asking "How would you spend $300 if you had to buy a souvenir". Are those people being forced to "explain or justify" how they would spend the $300? Same thing with any of the numerous threads asking questions. Steve should probly just shut the whole website down to prevent more people from feeling terrorized by all the questioning.

Tigger1988

Do you feel victimized by the question? Theres a thread in the General Discussion board asking "How would you spend $300 if you had to buy a souvenir". Are those people being forced to "explain or justify" how they would spend the $300? Same thing with any of the numerous threads asking questions. Steve should probly just shut the whole website down to prevent more people from feeling terrorized by all the questioning.
Nope. Were you victimized by my comment? Because people seem to be projecting way more onto me than I ever said.

Smiddimizer

Look guys, Mark Hamil has the magic too!
d50490e5-1ad5-4bfd-ac00-66a5a0124d9f_zps2ce76acd.jpg

Alcoholics anonymouse.. :eek::p

Cesar R M

Hong Kong was an English colony so no problems there. In Tokyo most don't speak a lick of English but there's English menus and guide maps. Expect to do lots of pointing and some pantomime. I've never had a problem

thank you man!

I'm just wondering, since I really want to check out Tokyo's parks and maybe go around (like visiting the cat island and bunny island). They are all on my bucket list.

As for the rest of the thread..
why you guys keep taking every single conversation so personally?
this is the 8th or 9th time someone takes other comment's so personally! then acts offended by answering back rudely! what the hell!.

Last edited:

TP2000

After a visit back to DL earlier this year (my third after 1992 and 2005) I recently realised that the Disney destination that I find myself planning trips to in my head is indeed DL... But I am no longer sitting here in Germany constantly checking flight prices to Orlando hoping for some deals to come out. I find myself watching flight prices to LAX instead.

Funny how that's changed in the last five years or so, isn't it? If it weren't for my beloved Epcot, as a West Coaster I'd be about the same when it comes to WDW now. TDO has a lot of work to do, and the Dwarfs Mine Train and Avatar simulator ride isn't nearly enough.

You obviously can't beat the convenience of Lufthansa's twice-daily non-stop flights from Frankfurt to LAX, and on those snazzy new 747-8 Intercontinentals no less. But I recently flew Norwegian Air on their non-stop flight from LAX to Oslo and it was a very good airline at a very good price on a new 787 Dreamliner. Norwegian Air also has non-stops to LAX from London and Copenhagen at prices that beat the non-stop British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, KLM, etc. fares in Business or Coach.

Now, of course, John Wayne OC Airport is actually much closer to Disneyland and much nicer than LAX, but the only international service to John Wayne comes from from Mexico and Canada on Interjet or Westjet. But if you are already inside the USA, do whatever you can to avoid the disaster of LAX and get your Disneyland flight to John Wayne Orange County Airport.

PhotoDave219

I'm going to go victimize myself by jumping into an 85° swimming pool because it's on degrees outside.

I'm going to victimize my happy until I have cooled off.

Bolna

We're not going back. The money we would spend going to WDW is either going to a trip to DL with my parents and sibs (which would be our first time farther west than Breck, CO) or being added to for a first time trip to Munich for my hubs and me. :D

I know WDW holds special memories for us, but in our mind, why not go make new special memories in other places too?

If you want any info on Munich, send me a message, I live kind of in the neighbourhood and went to university in Munich. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom