The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Smiddimizer

It must be because WDW's Main Street USA was built to handle larger crowds by Walt's hand-picked team after 15 years of experience running Disneyland. The Orlando management of 2014 is way smarter than those schmucks who designed and built the place back in the early 70's. Please don't question them. ;)

They have been good about running all the vehicles at Disneyland; it's something you really notice when you enter or exit the park. Here's a recent photo with four vehicles loading/unloading at the same time in the Town Square, while two horse-drawn streetcars pass each other further up the street and a second Omnibus loads up in front of Tomorrowland.
IMG_5868.jpg

Omnibus #1, Red horseless carriage (departing), Yellow horseless carriage (arriving), and a fire truck. Plus two horse-drawn streetcars running and Omnibus #2 not captured in this photo. Oh, my! Don't tell TDO, they'll be mad.

Gas guzzlers..

EPCOTCenterLover

I'm pretty much done with WDW for awhile. Nothing enticing.
DL is closer, and my work takes me through Paris at times, so DLP is always a strong bet. One day, the Asian parks if my job ever takes me that direction.

bhg469

Personally? My next Disney trip is either to California in 18 months or so, or Paris (maybe next spring, but that's fairly unlikely). My next Orlando trip will be Universal only (never been to either park).
I was in universal for the first time since about 1993. It is amazing, and rumors that they can't theme are vastly over blown. My wife didn't handle potter well and we sort of had to skip most of ioa, but in the just over half day we spent there I was thrilled.

Disneyfan_76

A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?

Actually, not much. Just convinced the wife that we should do DL/DCA instead of the 'world' this October. My daughter is two and it will be her first Disney Park visit. I don't want to have to deal with the 'magic shackle' and DL has more to offer.

Astro Blaster

Re: Disney Store - I'm frequently near the Disney store in Times Square and sometimes I'll take a stroll inside. It's pretty embarrassing to go by yourself into that store if you're over 12 years old. I feel a little weird each time I do, so I haven't gone in awhile. I used to like going to Disney stores because they had areas catered to a more mature audience, but not anymore. The World of Disney stores are usually very good - I guess they're run by the resorts division? - but they closed the huge one on 5th ave about five years ago because the rent was too expensive.

Astro Blaster

As for Star Wars in Abu Dhabi, I don't really have a problem with it. As someone pointed out, it's better than Tunisia and at least is safe for the cast and crew. A bunch of big time movies have already filmed in the UAE - mission impossible 4 immediately comes to mind. I'm sure they will get an increase in tourism as people still visit the old Tatooine sets in Tunisia, but seeing a desert kinda makes me want to stay away. Not like the beautiful vistas of New Zealand in LOTR. I just hope they make a good movie.

Next Big Thing

I'm all for a dress code. Disney actually has a dress code but it is rarely enforced because the ones left to enforce it are turnstyles. There's no way a college kid making $7.25 an hour is going to risk getting screamed at over how someone is dressed.
Literally no one makes $7.25. It's fairly against the law.

I found him:
mickey-mouse-mark-hamill-june-5-2014.jpg

I'm thinking he'd rather be frozen in carbonite or even thrown in the pit of Sarlacc and slowly digested over 1,000 years:cool:
He actually seemed to be enjoying his time there from what I saw today

Last edited:

eastvillage

Still waiting for the last bill from my daughter's wedding in May so I can tally up the total cost - it felt like I was hemorrhaging cash! And the start date on my kitchen redo is in August - just paid the first draw. And finally, my youngest has one more year of college. So no, no big trips this year.

But a trip to Oxford, England (my daughter and son-in-law's new home) is definitely in the planning stages.

Ahhh! Oxford! One of my favorite places in the world. I did study abroad at Oxford University and then later when I lived in London for a couple years I would make trips to Oxford almost monthly. Have you been?

Longhairbear

Spirited Friday Afternoon Quickees:

Why so quick? I think I'm headed to the pool for the first time in 2014 as soon as the sun gets a little lower.

Nice to see some Spirited haters joining the thread. It wasn't like I didn't know you were reading religiously.

Like I said last night, passive aggressive. You betcha.

Any of y'all see (or attempt) to see whatever Disney was doing with Mark Hamil? I wonder if he's at the BW with the rest of the 'talent'?

I just caught up on reading about some of the food and beverage AND ICE CREAM offerings UNI will debut with Potter 2.0 and that's enough to get me there! Um ... You can keep your blue Bartha milk, WDW.

Just think, in a week and a half, TPFKaTD-MGMS will go back to being dead beyond 2-3 attractions.

How far we have come : Gay Days are going on and beyond a hater that can afford a banner plane, all is quiet. Not even a thread here. Frankly, that's just the way it should be.

Why is it that DL can have multiple Main Street vehicles running at the same time when usually nothing runs at the MK?

So, any other Imaginering types drop out of social media?

Will someone let me know when Soup and Salad Sandra writes her first WDW story? I'd like to critique it here.

OK, I admit it, I was thinking that today would be a lovely day to be at Typhoon Lagoon.

I know I've asked this and not gotten one response, but has anyone heard of a Lifestyler giving up their Premier Pass now that it is $1,029? Anyone ...

For all the crap I get in the mail (and email), let me very clear: I am NOT an Emmy voter. Wasting time and trees.

Anybody go to Disney Stores at all? I haven't been to one since picking up a gift card last year.

So, none of the Star Wars fanbois here have an opinion over Disney's film deal with Abu Dhabi? But you do have opinions over whether Hoth is cooler than Endor? Why ... Why do. I bother?

Did I enjoy the placed PR piece about SWWs in USA Today? Not nearly as much as the placed piece describing the best nude resorts in the Caribbean (just didn,t need the image of the naked dude serving meatballs in the cafe).

I sure hope @Lee and DD made the boat!

OK, time to go live the life ... Pool time. I'll see you all a little later ...
I know I haven't been to WDW is a few years, but I didn't know they don't use the Main Street vehicles anymore. What's up with that?

TP2000

I know I haven't been to WDW is a few years, but I didn't know they don't use the Main Street vehicles anymore. What's up with that?

I've seen the horsedrawn streetcars run at WDW in the winter in recent years. But I don't remember any of the motor vehicles running. I'm sure they do occasionally, or maybe just one Omnibus or something motorized?

What's different is at Disneyland they'll run the ENTIRE FLEET all at the same time; Two Horseless Carriages, a Fire Truck, Two Omnibuses, and Two Horse-Drawn Streetcars. All at once. From park opening until the first parade at 4:00PM. Then all the motor vehicles come back out for another couple hours before the second parade at 7:00PM, while the horses go back to the barn for the evening. Then the motor fleet goes away for the night as Main Street rolls into fireworks setup and two Fantasmic! crowd departures through the 11 o'clock hour. Phew!

michael.fumc

I've seen the horsedrawn streetcars run at WDW in the winter in recent years. But I don't remember any of the motor vehicles running. I'm sure they do occasionally, or maybe just one Omnibus or something motorized?

What's different is at Disneyland they'll run the ENTIRE FLEET all at the same time; Two Horseless Carriages, a Fire Truck, Two Omnibuses, and Two Horse-Drawn Streetcars. All at once. From park opening until the first parade at 4:00PM. Then all the motor vehicles come back out for another couple hours before the second parade at 7:00PM, while the horses go back to the barn for the evening. Then the motor fleet goes away for the night as Main Street rolls into fireworks setup and two Fantasmic! crowd departures through the 11 o'clock hour. Phew!
We rode the fire truck (I think that is what it is?) last summer after the rope drop

TeriofTerror

A Spirited serious question to all the folks who still have pixie dust in their eyes: what currently going on at WDW has you excited enough to burn through thousands of dollars by visiting in 2014 or 2015?
I will be. Lack of exciting new attractions aside, Disney still does a pretty good job of making me feel pampered. I spend 51 weeks per year taking care of my family, my clients, and other responsibilities; I love having a week when someone else is taking care of me. And we bought DVC via resale a few years back - 100 points at $67 per point. Comparing what we spent to rack rates we would have paid, we've already paid that off. So this year I'm going to relax at Vero Beach for a few days and then head to AKL for four more... for my annual dues of something like $490. I'll go to the parks to visit a few old favorites like HM and PotC, check out SDMT, and stroll through Food & Wine, but for me a week at the beach and experiencing AKL is money well spent. :)

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.

Because its a mere bagatelle, and one simply must feel the love and magic to keep in-touch with ones inner self. Or maybe it because the current Mrs Sak insisted we do WDW before she lets me go back to Vegas.

randyrut

If I am being honest, the thing that is making us excited to come back to Disney in August is simply Disney World itself. My family and my brother's family get together and go for 10 days when we can. We are going to Universal and staying at the Hard Rock for 3 nights, and then going to Disney and staying at the Contemporary for the rest of our trip.

I am sure people will scoff that we are staying at a deluxe resort and say how much of a waste of money it is, but we love staying there. It has great restaurants, great views, and the MK is a short walk away. Plus the monorail makes our trip much easier.

I will admit I am most excited for the Potter expansion, and cannot wait to see what they have done over there. However, what makes us go back to Disney is the whole vibe of the place. We wake up early and go from morning to late night. We smile, laugh, joke around, and have a very upbeat morale the whole time we are there. We forget about real life, and just live for a week or so like we are children again. And our kids love seeing us act that way too.

I do think Disney needs to get on their horse and start creating new attractions, but Disney will probably always get our money every year or 2 just because it is the one place that has the ability to make us all one big group of kids again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom