The Spirited Back Nine ...

tissandtully

You are in for a treat! When do you plan to go? Make the classics a priority over the newer stuff. Trust me. Even though, the names of the rides may be the same, it's a completely better experience (excluding Splash Mountain). Make sure you do:

Indiana Jones
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Alice in Wonderland
Pirates of the Caribbean
Big Thunder Mountain
It's a Small World
Space Mountain
Haunted Mansion

Even though Florida's version of the Haunted Mansion has a few additional scenes, I can't explain why, but I like the California version better. I hesitated to put it on my list simply because the Florida version is supposed to be better, but I'll let you be the judge.

EDIT - I forgot to mention Tower of Tower. The DCA version is different than the DHS version. It has better special effects, but it is "darker" in tone and completely lacks the Fifth Dimension scene. Ride it for comparison's sake, but I prefer the Florida version.

EDIT #2 - I added Indiana Jones and Cartoon Spin. Indiana Jones is a super-must-see. Cartoon Spin is worth seeing (but do the classics first). I did not include Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, Canal Boats, Snow White, Columbia Sailing Ship, Winnie the Pooh, or Buzz Light Year because these are not must-see attractions for people who's been to WDW millions of times, in my opinion. See Buzz Light Year, even if I did not include it in my list because the DL version is superior, but still not a must-see. I did not include bobsleds because EE at AK is superior, but see it if you have time because it's a different kind of ride. Of course, see RSR at DCA.
Awesome, thanks!

Matt_Black

Except that said film is to serve as the basis of new attractions...

Well, more accurately, the new films are part of a very large franchise; setting, characters, and other elements from all official parts of said franchise could be included. That means the original trilogy, the prequels, the new films, and the animated stuff. Sadly, the Ewok films are non-canon, so no chance of that Wilford Brimley meet & greet.

Cesar R M

the new plans to move the BAH are coming along nicely too!
check the official artwork.
9kbyJtD.jpg

Californian Elitist

Magic Kingdom vs Disneyland... yes, no contest. But WDW as a whole vs Disneyland... I dunno, that's a tougher call. Despite the obscene prices, decay and endless closures and lack of investment, you can still have a lot of fun in WDW, and Disneyland can't touch it when it comes to things like the water parks, Fort Wilderness or the golf courses.

I agree that the actual resorts as a whole can't be compared. There are lots of activities at WDW that can keep one there for over a week. DL is an attraction of California; one should spend just a few days there and spend the other time doing other things in California.

I've never understood those who spend 5+ days at the DLR.

Figments Friend

I may well be the exception, but i find staying less then 5 to 6 days at the Disneyland Resort is not enough.
Sure you can pretty much 'do everything' a typical Guest would want to do in about 2 to 3 days, but for a big Park enthusiast/geek like myself i prefer to savor the moments more then once and up close.

My first few visits to California as a whole included a two-day visit to DLR and i found it to feel rushed in that time span.
I came back in later years on my own and stayed a week and it was much more relaxed.
The extra time allowed the true charm of the Park and the experiences within it to really soak in through the skin and go on into a deeper emotional level.

While your typical Guest will ride any given Attraction once or maybe twice, a freak like me will ride multiple times over that week long time span and enjoy the experience from many different perspectives.
That is just one of several reasons why i am now so enamored with Disneyland after being a 30+ year WDW Vet.
It's all 'new' and a different experience in so many ways...and i just love it.

:)

Soarin' Over Pgh

I may well be the exception, but i find staying less then 5 to 6 days at the Disneyland Resort is not enough.
Sure you can pretty much 'do everything' a typical Guest would want to do in about 2 to 3 days, but for a big Park enthusiast/geek like myself i prefer to savor the moments more then once and up close.

My first few visits to California as a whole included a two-day visit to DLR and i found it to feel rushed in that time span.
I came back in later years on my own and stayed a week and it was much more relaxed.
The extra time allowed the true charm of the Park and the experiences within it to really soak in through the skin and go on into a deeper emotional level.

While your typical Guest will ride any given Attraction once or maybe twice, a freak like me will ride multiple times over that week long time span and enjoy the experience from many different perspectives.
That is just one of several reasons why i am now so enamored with Disneyland after being a 30+ year WDW Vet.
It's all 'new' and a different experience in so many ways...and i just love it.

I tend to agree. I could easily spend five days at DLR. But if I did, I would need at least 10 days in California for everything else.

For those who aren't able to get to disney parks every year, let alone several times a year, or even a few times a decade, spending a few days at DLR is very easy to do...to soak up the atmosphere, see everything (several times!!) and relax. You COULD get through Disneyland in one, maybe two days, andDCA in probably one, but why rush it if you've traveled so far?

Figments Friend

Indeed.

I highly recommend folks headed to Disneyland to not just 'do the Parks'.
California, particularly Southern California, has a LOT to offer...and much of it is not-to-be-missed.
Orlando, Florida it ain'nt...peeps.

For a fun and informative overview of just some of the sights and experiences awaiting you 'beyond the gates', have a look at the epic thread over at the DL section of the Forum titled 'The Official Explore Southern California Thread' for some great highlights.

Link - http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/the-official-explore-southern-california-thread.872243/

Happy exploring!

Progress.City

I tend to agree. I could easily spend five days at DLR. But if I did, I would need at least 10 days in California for everything else.

For those who aren't able to get to disney parks every year, let alone several times a year, or even a few times a decade, spending a few days at DLR is very easy to do...to soak up the atmosphere, see everything (several times!!) and relax. You COULD get through Disneyland in one, maybe two days, andDCA in probably one, but why rush it if you've traveled so far?
I could spend a lot of time writing about this subject but I don't have time. There's just one mandatory thing I must say for now. If you go. Make sure you grab a bite at In and Out Burger!

GrammieBee

We like and visit both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Obviously there is a lot more to do in WDW, but both parks are unique in their own fashion. Some attractions are better in one than in the other and there are attractions in one park that aren't in the other.

We like to take our time, try out the restaurants visit the shops and generally see everything the parks have to offer We can easily spend five or six days at DLR. As for WDW, if you are not there for just a few rides and like to poke around in all the corners, it would probably take a month or more to do everything that is offered on Disney property.

There ARE other attractions to see fairly near Orlando besides WDW and Universal. Three especially come to mind; the beach at Daytona, Kennedy Space Center, and the Bok Singing Tower. As far as visiting other attractions in Southern California----if you only have part of a week's vacation, put on your running shoes and race. We once spent a whole summer touring California and we still didn't see everything. But then, we could easily spend a week in each National Park besides visiting the more commercial attractions.

So much to see and do and so little time to do it. Have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

We like and visit both Walt Disney World and Disneyland. Obviously there is a lot more to do in WDW, but both parks are unique in their own fashion. Some attractions are better in one than in the other and there are attractions in one park that aren't in the other.

We like to take our time, try out the restaurants visit the shops and generally see everything the parks have to offer We can easily spend five or six days at DLR. As for WDW, if you are not there for just a few rides and like to poke around in all the corners, it would probably take a month or more to do everything that is offered on Disney property.

There ARE other attractions to see fairly near Orlando besides WDW and Universal. Three especially come to mind; the beach at Daytona, Kennedy Space Center, and the Bok Singing Tower. As far as visiting other attractions in Southern California----if you only have part of a week's vacation, put on your running shoes and race. We once spent a whole summer touring California and we still didn't see everything. But then, we could easily spend a week in each National Park besides visiting the more commercial attractions.

So much to see and do and so little time to do it. Have a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year!
I agree that there is a lot to do off the Disney property in Central and Coastal Florida. The problem is that Disney has spent Billions of dollars convincing people that they do not want to leave the property and if they do all the "magic" will be gone. That's OK for some, but, it never has been for me. I usually spend 1/3 of my time in Florida at Disney and the rest of the time exploring. Man does not live by mouse alone.

Cesar R M

I agree that the actual resorts as a whole can't be compared. There are lots of activities at WDW that can keep one there for over a week. DL is an attraction of California; one should spend just a few days there and spend the other time doing other things in California.

I've never understood those who spend 5+ days at the DLR.
well, if someone who never visited DLR ever.. what if he tried to do ALL events, ALL Shows, ALL attractions? would he can do it in a single day?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree that there is a lot to do off the Disney property in Central and Coastal Florida. The problem is that Disney has spent Billions of dollars convincing people that they do not want to leave the property and if they do all the "magic" will be gone. That's OK for some, but, it never has been for me. I usually spend 1/3 of my time in Florida at Disney and the rest of the time exploring. Man does not live by mouse alone.
My approach is to break things up into seperate trips. I usually do a Disney trip and just focus on the mouse and maybe now the boy wizard. Magic Express, no rental car. On a different trip I will just go to the beach or maybe do a few other non-Disney things. I have family in Florida so I visit more frequently. On my non-Disney years I like to vacation somewhere other than Florida. There are 49 other states to see before you even need to break out a passport and see the rest of the world.

Goofyernmost

well, if someone who never visited DLR ever.. what if he tried to do ALL events, ALL Shows, ALL attractions? would he can do it in a single day?
I've only been there once but I would have to say no. And that is just if you only went to Disneyland. If you also wanted to see DCA, then absolutely no.

Goofyernmost

Well, no, but four days would be enough. Five is pushing it. A whole week is pretty ridiculous, IMO.
I went for three days and by the end of it, although I did like being in the parks, I was bored. I also never felt at home there either. It might have been my own paranoia, but, I always felt like I was infringing on private property owned by the people of Southern California. I was just standing in the way of them enjoying themselves.:oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom