The Spirited Back Nine ...

PhotoDave219

A higher capacity monorail is simply a monorail which carries more passengers. Am I missing something (probably obvious) with your question? :confused:

Longer trains could, in theory, operate out of the existing stations with no modifications, although the idea becomes far, far more practical and efficient even if you do nothing but lengthen the platforms - which in turn further increases the total number of passengers you can move. The Walt Disney World monorail design makes openings between cars impractical, so the way you operate trains which are longer than the station platform is by either spotting the train twice at each station (the front cars load, monorail pulls forward to load the rear cars) or else where all cars do not stop (open) at every station (for instance, only cars 1-6 are spotted and doors open at the Polynesian; Only cars 4-9 open at the Grand Floridian, etc.).

I get your point, but among the exceptions, I don't think anyone has mentioned the Tiki Room yet.

Wait a minute - hold everything!!! Horizons is coming back ?!?

Please don't play with our emotions like that. Please... :in pain:

First… You're talking about operational concepts the transportation simply can't grasp. In the short version? They are only going to purchase trains that fit with the existing stations and the existing beams.

And they're only going to purchase new trains when the old ones are no longer repairable. I mean could you imagine what would happen if it was peak season and it was opening and a train died on the express ? And then you went to send a tug & the tug died? Certainly makes you think there's no way they'll be able to automate the system come February… Makes you think that the lady at until November something like that when they have more money to play with.

Apparently people are neglecting to realize the difference between swapping a film out versus a multimillion dollar attraction. They simply are not going to spend $100 million or more on something that didn't work the first time…

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
In some ways the problem of less entertainment and less "distractions" comes from the commando touring mentality. I agree that WDW has encouraged this mentality with FP+ and reservations but it's also partially the guest's mentality coming in. For example, there are plenty of non-ride things to do at AK. Probably enough to fill a whole day. But you hear people constantly saying its a half day park because it only has 6 rides. For some people, rides are what counts. People arrive at rope drop and run from ride to ride ignoring the environment around them and then when they are done all 6 rides it's 1PM and they leave the park. Later they complain the park is only a half day park without enough things to do to fill a whole day. Unfortunately it seems this mentality has won out over the people who like to go and take their time exploring the parks. MK is the one park that has enough rides to support the commando style. If you went from ride to ride without stopping it would actually still be hard to hit every ride in a single day. If you want to stop and enjoy some of the smaller entertainment and distractions plus parades and fireworks you really need 2 full days.

I think the blame is shared between the guests themselves and Disney.
Disney's price increases spiraling out of control also drive this behavior as people's disposable income is limiting them to shorter and shorter stays at the parks. Hence the rise of the commando touring style

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Double decker monorails;)

It worked for NJ transit and that system was actually more screwed up than WDW's transportation for a while. They would just need to raise the roof at the stations. CR could pose a problem, but if they aren't hanging that giant wreath at Christmas time anyway it's just wasted wall space that could be removed to make the monorail opening bigger;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disney's price increases spiraling out of control also drive this behavior as people's disposable income is limiting them to shorter and shorter stays at the parks. Hence the rise of the commando touring style
No doubt that's a factor. There are also more and more one time or infrequent guests who don't know if or when they will be back so they feel the need to "see everything" and can sometimes get a little crazy. Disney adds to the hysteria with all the structure and reservations. For a long time EPCOT had more small scale entertainment and little distractions than any other park. It also had probably the highest percentage of local and frequent visitors out of the 4 parks. I think a park like DL which caters to more local visitors needs to offer more entertainment and variety to keep people coming back. The one area WDW seems to embrace is the meet and greet. Not exactly my cup of tea, but as other distractions and entertainment get cut they are increasing M&G offerings. Not sure if it's just being cheap/lazy or giving people what they want. Probably a combination of both.

lazyboy97o

First… You're talking about operational concepts the transportation simply can't grasp. In the short version? They are only going to purchase trains that fit with the existing stations and the existing beams.

And they're only going to purchase new trains when the old ones are no longer repairable. I mean could you imagine what would happen if it was peak season and it was opening and a train died on the express ? And then you went to send a tug & the tug died? Certainly makes you think there's no way they'll be able to automate the system come February… Makes you think that the lady at until November something like that when they have more money to play with.

Apparently people are neglecting to realize the difference between swapping a film out versus a multimillion dollar attraction. They simply are not going to spend $100 million or more on something that didn't work the first time…
Capacity can be added to the existing trains.

Goofyernmost

In some ways the problem of less entertainment and less "distractions" comes from the commando touring mentality. I agree that WDW has encouraged this mentality with FP+ and reservations but it's also partially the guest's mentality coming in. For example, there are plenty of non-ride things to do at AK. Probably enough to fill a whole day. But you hear people constantly saying its a half day park because it only has 6 rides. For some people, rides are what counts. People arrive at rope drop and run from ride to ride ignoring the environment around them and then when they are done all 6 rides it's 1PM and they leave the park. Later they complain the park is only a half day park without enough things to do to fill a whole day. Unfortunately it seems this mentality has won out over the people who like to go and take their time exploring the parks. MK is the one park that has enough rides to support the commando style. If you went from ride to ride without stopping it would actually still be hard to hit every ride in a single day. If you want to stop and enjoy some of the smaller entertainment and distractions plus parades and fireworks you really need 2 full days.

I think the blame is shared between the guests themselves and Disney.
I prefer to blame Disney for it all. They created the commando style by introducing, not FP+, but FP in general. Before that there was no such thing. You went in stood in quickly moving lines and saw what ever you could. Running from place to place did not have any positive result, so you went the circle, saw everything there or, at least, whatever you had time for and moved on. If you didn't have time for it you just figured, well, I'll see those others on my next trip.

Now it is sort of a challenge to see who can see the most things, without really seeing them or appreciating them. It is quantity over quality. I believe that we all get exactly what we deserve.

PhotoDave219

It worked for NJ transit and that system was actually more screwed up than WDW's transportation for a while. They would just need to raise the roof at the stations. CR could pose a problem, but if they aren't hanging that giant wreath at Christmas time anyway it's just wasted wall space that could be removed to make the monorail opening bigger;)

They won't fit in the stations. Plus, liability. What happens when one of those fat people and their scooters go tumbling down the stairs?

PhotoDave219

Death to 5th gate talk

Disney doesn't need more halfway parks. People won't extend their vacation more (they don't have it...)

They need to distribute the load and increase utilization

Huge infrastructures sitting idle - huge waste

I'm just in favor of whatever would drow a crowd away from Magic Kingdom… The studios glaring inability to attract a crowd that stays beyond 6 is just one of yet a number of contributing factors as to why the Magic Kingdom is horribly overloaded anymore.

The biggest problem is were discussing infrastructure and filling out available space in Parks. These are things that just don't happen overnight… As much as some of us… Me being one of those… Would really like that to happen. This is a problem that guests are going to have to deal with for the foreseeable future.

Over at the studios, we have only one thing actually in progress construction wise. We have a ridiculous amount of smoke and rumors and it can all come to a screeching halt tomorrow. There are all sorts of rumored plans but they changed it once, they can certainly change again.

We are just stuck with the crowds until new things open. And that is not going to happen anytime soon.

lazyboy97o

There is a whole hallway the monorails skirt under at the Contemporary Resort.

Omnispace

I prefer to blame Disney for it all. They created the commando style by introducing, not FP+, but FP in general. Before that there was no such thing. You went in stood in quickly moving lines and saw what ever you could. Running from place to place did not have any positive result, so you went the circle, saw everything there or, at least, whatever you had time for and moved on. If you didn't have time for it you just figured, well, I'll see those others on my next trip.

Now it is sort of a challenge to see who can see the most things, without really seeing them or appreciating them. It is quantity over quality. I believe that we all get exactly what we deserve.

I was just about to mention this - once the concept of "exploring" the parks was thrown out the window with Fastpass, the commando tactics took-off. Add to that Disney's concurrent marketing blitz that one isn't experiencing the MAGIC unless they are at a particular character-driven park. In their drive to focus on certain demographics, Disney has basically rendered three of their four WDW parks irrelevant. The result is an intrusion of characters into parks they weren't conceived for, (or other "etoh" distractions).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They won't fit in the stations. Plus, liability. What happens when one of those fat people and their scooters go tumbling down the stairs?
Nah, just make the openings to the upper level too narrow for the fat people. Then they won't get up there in the first place;)
There is a whole hallway the monorails skirt under at the Contemporary Resort.
We keep getting reports of the deluxe resorts running at low occupancy. They don't need that extra floor of rooms anyway;)

PhotoDave219

Nah, just make the openings to the upper level too narrow for the fat people. Then they won't get up there in the first place;)

We keep getting reports of the deluxe resorts running at low occupancy. They don't need that extra floor of rooms anyway;)

Not yesterday. All the monorail resorts were packed.

Packed with some very angry guests because of the Awful monorail service. Which they pay top dollar for.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I agree that FP started the trend to an extent, but according to Disney's own executives legacy FP wasn't being utilized by the majority of guests. They are claiming a much higher use rate with FP+ which increases the number of people with this mentality.

With legacy FP I didn't really change my schedule for the day. I would grab a FP for rides with longer waits when I got to the land they were in. For example when I got to Fantasyland I would grab a FP for Pan and then start with Small World. I would tour the land at my pace and my only restriction was I had to wait for Peter Pan until my FP start time. They never enforced the end of your return time so if you got a 10am to 11am FP and returned at 1PM they would still honor it. Honestly, the only time I planned around pulling a FP was TSMM. I would almost always go straight there and get my FP before they ran out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom