The Spirited Back Nine ...

Soarin' Over Pgh

Wow, you will feel the wrath of photodave now. This will include a stern forum lashing and threats you cannot escape no matter how many thousands of miles away you are.

Yep, this. Please use the spoiler tag folks!

I think the 90's strategy of aggressively promoting a new film WHEN IT'S RELEASED is a very good strategy, and it has cost Disney untold millions because they strayed so far from it. Risk averse to the extreme only works when your new product falls flat - there's no preparation for success, as we all saw with Frozen.

Pumping in new shows/parades etc. to the parks annually to promote new films kills two birds with one stone - the parks get new promotable product and the studios get synergistic promotion for the film. With capex abysmally low for domestic P&R, these kinds of things shouldn't be considered luxuries. They should be de rigeur.

Eisner, for all his faults, knew how to synergize the living tar out of new properties. I think it's fantastic that new Star Wars attractions will center around the new films (I'm sure there will be plenty of touches for the original trilogy as well).

In 2015, it would be a wonderful thing if Cranium Command/WOL could be revived with Inside Out. It's almost too easy. What if The Good Dinosaur became an excuse to rebuild Dinorama into something worthwhile? These are the kinds of synergistic opportunities that should be celebrated and encouraged by Disney. They aren't, and it's their loss.

I wasn't interested at all in seeing the Lion King in theaters until I was at Disneyland and experienced the Lion King midday parade. It's since become one of my favorite disney movies. When it was re-released in 3-d a few years ago, I didn't hesitate to buy tickets for four separate showings...two sets which were used to take my young cousins to see if for the first time, so they could experience the awe struck-ness I once did.

Same goes for Hunchback of Notre Dame. That was during a weird stage of my life (preteen-teen years) where I was unsure of everything and was losing interest in disney. But again, Disneyland ...festival of fools... It's also one of my favorites now.

Disney has missed out on movie tie ins with their parks out of sheer ignorance and having no faith in their own product. Somtimes you have to spend a buck to make a few bucks, and they really missed out on shoving their hands further into people's pockets with the last few movies.

I think that princess and the frog could have greatly benefitted from having theme park tie ins to improve its standing, profits and likability. Even something like a six float mini parade to make it noticed would do the trick. Meet and greets are one thing, but having something substantial like a parade, or a festival, or heaven forbid, a ride, would be best because not everyone likes meet n greets. That movie was so beautifully done and has all but disappeared, except for tiana in parades and merchandise. That's it. :/ not even bathroom!

LL2WDW

I think that princess and the frog could have greatly benefitted from having theme park tie ins to improve its standing, profits and likability. Even something like a six float mini parade to make it noticed would do the trick. Meet and greets are one thing, but having something substantial like a parade, or a festival, or heaven forbid, a ride, would be best because not everyone likes meet n greets. That movie was so beautifully done and has all but disappeared, except for tiana in parades and merchandise. That's it. :/ not even bathroom!

Both WDW and DLR had "Tiana's Showboat Jubilee" premiere when the movie came to theaters. A live show on the the Rivers of America, with dancers, singers (at DLR), and live musicians. It still has it's own unit in DLR's Soundsational parade.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Both WDW and DLR had "Tiana's Showboat Jubilee" premiere when the movie came to theaters. A live show on the the Rivers of America, with dancers, singers (at DLR), and live musicians. It still has it's own unit in DLR's Soundsational parade.

Ahh, thank you for the correction. I wasn't at either resort during the time the movie was released and don't recall hearing anything special being done to promote it.

And with that, I'm off to YouTube :)

truecoat

@truecoat Who was the young female character on the speeder bike? Han and Leiah's daughter?

You must mean this young lady.

nJBZUbK.jpg

I have heard the same thing but don't know if it's true. She was sitting between Ford and Fisher for the first promo pic so maybe? She looks a little like Amidala.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
So, that's the thing. At this point, we "know" that there is a healthy budget for a DHS redo -- apparently somewhere in the $1.5B range. We "know" that some sort of flat ride heavy Playland area is in the mix, but that shouldn't take up more than $100M, maybe $150M if there's a lot of waste. We "know" a 3rd track is being added to TSMM -- who knows how much that could cost, but it's probably at worse in the tens of millions. We also know that the BAH is coming down and there will be some sort of refresh for GMR. Let's exaggerate and say the cost for all of that stuff that we "know" is $300M -- and it should be far less than that -- what the heck else is going in for the rest of the cash?

Probably some version of Cars Land, I guess.

Maybe Star Wars some day, though many have said it is not part of that budget.

What exactly are they planning to spend 100's of millions of dollars on?

The better question are they planning to spend it at all... My inner cynic tells me that the so called DHS budget was planted out there to damp down the outrage at all the closures at DHS and perhaps as a backstop if DHS took a huge hit in attendance.

What I think we will get is the 3'rd track and the flat rides, I think DHS will be the second convention/festival park and there is nothing coming other than the 3'rd track and flat rides and the closed rides will be the convention/festival venues.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yup. There's national places, like Zaxby's, that are pretty expensive, and like WDW, the drink comes separate. Last time I was there with 4 I believe it was somewhere around $45.

Yes but Zaxby's is top quality and worth the $10-12 dollars meal and drink it's my go to lunch when visiting ATL

Now WDW's grey hamburger for 8 bucks - while mickey d's has a similar burger on their dollar menu which is tastier. That's what 400% higher than the 'real world' if you include a large order of fries,

For crying out loud I can (and do) get a Kobe beef burger (Gordon Bierch) at the SJC airport for $18 bucks and it's actually WORTH it.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Yep, this. Please use the spoiler tag folks!

I wasn't interested at all in seeing the Lion King in theaters until I was at Disneyland and experienced the Lion King midday parade. It's since become one of my favorite disney movies. When it was re-released in 3-d a few years ago, I didn't hesitate to buy tickets for four separate showings...two sets which were used to take my young cousins to see if for the first time, so they could experience the awe struck-ness I once did.

Same goes for Hunchback of Notre Dame. That was during a weird stage of my life (preteen-teen years) where I was unsure of everything and was losing interest in disney. But again, Disneyland ...festival of fools... It's also one of my favorites now.

Disney has missed out on movie tie ins with their parks out of sheer ignorance and having no faith in their own product. Somtimes you have to spend a buck to make a few bucks, and they really missed out on shoving their hands further into people's pockets with the last few movies.

Great points, The problem is Disney is THOUGHT of as a creative company and if you read the book Disney Wars - Eisner was worried that Iger seemed to lack any creative talent and had no respect for the creative process.

Iger got launched to the presidency after he BOUGHT US rights 'Do you want to be a Millionaire' from it's UK creators and he's maintained that pattern.

Under Iger Disney is morphing from a creative company to a IP holding/licensing company.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The better question are they planning to spend it at all... My inner cynic tells me that the so called DHS budget was planted out there to damp down the outrage at all the closures at DHS and perhaps as a backstop if DHS took a huge hit in attendance.

What I think we will get is the 3'rd track and the flat rides, I think DHS will be the second convention/festival park and there is nothing coming other than the 3'rd track and flat rides and the closed rides will be the convention/festival venues.
The problem with that theory is the people who had the info. If Disney wanted to plant false info to placate the fanboys I think we all know which lifestylers would have it first. The fact that Spirit, Lee, PhotoDave and Martin each heard the same from their independent sources makes it unlikely. Everyone might have heard slightly different stories but they all said a substantial budget.

baymenxpac

found this little nugget in all the sony leak stuff (don't know if it was mentioned already. i did a scan, but didn't see it). this is from the workplace complaint leak:

Disney will make $300M on Spidey merchandise this year alone. We won't!

pretty incredible figure there, and i'm sure a big part of the reason why wall street loves iger. it also frames up the lunacy of the "well, disney is a BUSINESS" debate to justify lack of capital expenditures in the parks pretty nicely. not like TWDC doesn't have money oozing everywhere to reinvest into all of there ventures, from the studio to parks and resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom