The Spirited Back Nine ...

BrianLo

What I'm driving at is the SW movies are either going to be like Marvel and be a Creative and Financial success OR they are going to follow the Lone Ranger/John Carter model and flop badly even though they had good material to work with.

The Star Wars movies (VII at least) will either be a creative and financial success, or a creative failure and a financial success.

It's more akin to the mid-way point of the Harry Potter movie series, you know the next movie could be good or bad, but the box office will be predictable either way. The fans will show up in droves.

They very well could damage the brand with a terrible movie... but there seems to be too much goodwill surrounding the project for it to be truly "terrible". It also has a very low bar (the prequels) to overcome.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The Star Wars movies (VII at least) will either be a creative and financial success, or a creative failure and a financial success.

It's more akin to the mid-way point of the Harry Potter movie series, you know the next movie could be good or bad, but the box office will be predictable either way. The fans will show up in droves.

They very well could damage the brand with a terrible movie... but there seems to be too much goodwill surrounding the project for it to be truly "terrible". It also has a very low bar (the prequels) to overcome.

Well put, But with the trailer we've already seen a offensively 'cute' robot which is why I'm wondering about a flop and how bad, Disney really needs to give this comedic sidekick thing a rest.

Disneyhead'71

Well put, But with the trailer we've already seen a offensively 'cute' robot which is why I'm wondering about a flop and how bad, Disney really needs to give this comedic sidekick thing a rest.
Well, Yoda has Grover's voice. Jar Jar has Elmo's voice. What is the most annoying character on Sesame Street? Take their voice and pair with a rediculous CG alien and Voila! New loveable Star Wars sidekick.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I beg to differ on this, With the sole exception of the Marvel movies, Disney's live action offerings have been to be charitable stinkers recently. Disney has discontinued the 'Clone Wars' animated series for the 'Kid Friendly' Rebel's series which while being beautifully animated - seems to lack heart for lack of a better term which worries me that the new Star Wars will be nothing more than a infomercial for Star Wars toys.

What I'm driving at is the SW movies are either going to be like Marvel and be a Creative and Financial success OR they are going to follow the Lone Ranger/John Carter model and flop badly even though they had good material to work with.
@BrianLo beat me too it, but it bears repeating. There is absolutely no way the next Star Wars movie can be a financial flop. None. It's not possible. It could be in the same ballpark as the prequels from a fan perspective, but even those movies were very big financial successes.

If we are talking about a go/no go decision for adding SW to the theme parks I'm pretty sure that decision would have to come before episode 8 to be built and open by 2020. If there is no possible way for episode 7 to be a financial failure then there is no way that they decide to bag the SW theme park plans because of lack of interest in the franchise.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Disneyland Paris tends to be the most expensive resort for building while Walt Disney World is usually the cheapest.

Makes sense and it was a few years ago so there is some inflation. They should be able to build the equivalent of the Paris version for no more than $100M in Florida. It seems like a lot, but less than 10% of the total project budget.

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
But you challenged that it was excessive and said it was only 20-30% elsewhere.

My family would be quite upset if I didn't feed them too....

I challenged the notion that they are ripping people off and you never bothered to mention that the meal was for more than one person. Most QS meals cost us around $75-$100 for three of us at WDW. Food costs are generally 25% more or less than a rough equivalent could be purchased here. There are exceptions that can always be called out, some are bargains others are not.

As consumers we all have to make choices for our purchases. I choose to pay the higher costs rather than take an hour or two for travel to leave a park to get something off-site and Disney knows most fall in line for the same exact reason.

FigmentJedi

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/...ure-lost-disney-film-empty-socks-found-norway

A copy of a 1927 Walt Disney cartoon which was thought to be lost has been found in northern Norway, the country's National Library said Thursday.

The film -- an almost complete version of "Empty Socks", the first Christmas film by the US entertainment giant -- was discovered during an inventory at the library's facility in Mo i Rana, near the Arctic circle.

"At the beginning, we didn't know it was a lost cinematographic treasure," Kvale Soerenssen, an archivist at the library, said in a statement.

"The film was in two reels which weren't clearly labelled."

The original version of "Empty Socks" had a duration of 5:30 minutes, but between 30 and 60 seconds from the central part were missing in the footage found in Norway, which was authenticated by Disney cartoonist David Gerstein.

emptysocks1.jpg

(Walt Disney/Norweigan National Library)

The film stars Oswald, the Lucky Rabbit, a predecessor of Mickey Mouse who appeared in 26 movies by Walt Disney and his countryman Ub Iwerks.

The National Library said it had digitised it and sent a copy to The Walt Disney Company.

Before this find, the only known copy of "Empty Socks" was a 25-second sequence preserved at the Museum of Modern Art in New York.

The Norwegian film originally belonged to a private individual, before ending up in the collection of the Norwegian Film Institute, which handed over its archive to the National Library of Norway.

Most of the library's works and documents are kept in a high-security bunker in Mo i Rana.

According to Norwegian newspaper Aftenposten, the nitrocellulose reels -- a highly flammable compound -- are stored in a room with controlled temperature and humidity.

The National Library has launched a large digitisation project to make its collection more accessible, which has helped discover lost documents.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Humor has always been a part of the Star Wars movies, if done properly it's not a bad things.

Humor YES offensively cute never turn it off NO, C3PO was comic relief at times always waited for him to utter one of Jonathan Harris classic lines 'Oh the pain, the pain' but not the Jar-Jar/Mushu/Olaf constant annoyance brand.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I challenged the notion that they are ripping people off and you never bothered to mention that the meal was for more than one person. Most QS meals cost us around $75-$100 for three of us at WDW.

I didn't mention it because it was not necessary for the point. 1 person or 4... $40 for a counter service take away meal is too much. If I had to pay $33 a person for freaking fast food like you mentioned I'd be belligerent.

Food costs are generally 25% more or less than a rough equivalent could be purchased here. There are exceptions that can always be called out, some are bargains others are not.

So at $33 a person (your number) you normally are paying $26 a person for a take away meal where you are and find that normal??

As Chris Rock said... WHUT CHU EATIN????

As consumers we all have to make choices for our purchases. I choose to pay the higher costs rather than take an hour or two for travel to leave a park to get something off-site and Disney knows most fall in line for the same exact reason.

Yup.. and I'm choosing not to go out at all with those absurd prices.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Dude, it was a teaser trailer.

True - but the thing positively screamed TOY, Just like the Ewoks were designed to sell plushies, Plus I have a DBIL who's in the 501'st legion if the next movie sucks I'll have years of family dinners with him carping about how Disney ruined SW.

IF Disney lets JJ make the movie the way HE wants there is no way it will NOT be good, If the movie is directed out of Glendale like Lone Ranger/John Carter were. Lets say all bets are off.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom