The Spirited Back Nine ...

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
This guy would eat your master for lunch.View attachment 76273

Don't bet on it, Ever seen a Norwegian Forest Cat

65adcea800a62275c1115aff17c55da5.jpg

We are talking small mountain lion here... :)

Progress.City

So, that's the thing. At this point, we "know" that there is a healthy budget for a DHS redo -- apparently somewhere in the $1.5B range. We "know" that some sort of flat ride heavy Playland area is in the mix, but that shouldn't take up more than $100M, maybe $150M if there's a lot of waste. We "know" a 3rd track is being added to TSMM -- who knows how much that could cost, but it's probably at worse in the tens of millions. We also know that the BAH is coming down and there will be some sort of refresh for GMR. Let's exaggerate and say the cost for all of that stuff that we "know" is $300M -- and it should be far less than that -- what the heck else is going in for the rest of the cash?

Probably some version of Cars Land, I guess.

Maybe Star Wars some day, though many have said it is not part of that budget.

What exactly are they planning to spend 100's of millions of dollars on?
There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know.

Donald Rumsfeld

Mike S

Well I just finished my want list to Santa Clause, it went like this.

1) For Photodave to explain to me what the heck a shinebox is?

2) For Goofyernmost to receive a bottle of Milk of Magnesia. It seems he is a bit constipated.

3) For the Mom a little reprieve from having to moderate Photodaves post.

4) For a certain Magical friends father to pull through a very serious illness.

5) For Lee to lead us all in a spirited chorus of "We wish you a Merry Christmas"

6) For some help for my Ravens in the secondary.

7) That 74 will make a showing before Christmas eve. He did get a early Christmas present....Thanks Meg!

8) For another Magical member and her family to have a wonderful holiday.

9) For the rest of the rest of WDW Magic members to show a little spirit and to pass some joy unto others.
Go to YouTube and search "Goodfellas shinebox scene" to get it.

Last edited:

PhotoDave219

The problem with that theory is the people who had the info. If Disney wanted to plant false info to placate the fanboys I think we all know which lifestylers would have it first. The fact that Spirit, Lee, PhotoDave and Martin each heard the same from their independent sources makes it unlikely. Everyone might have heard slightly different stories but they all said a substantial budget.

No, Disney rarely if ever does something like that

RSoxNo1

The Lone Ranger and John Carter were bad ideas from the start.
Agreed that they were both bad ideas, but Lone Ranger was an enjoyable movie. The issue is they were relying on name recognition from a generation that aren't regular movie goers. It was the biggest budget for a remake as far as I know and typically those movies get green lit because executives feel that they're safe. It's like the Cars Land should come to Florida argument that was going on a few years ago. The people that wanted Cars Land wanted it because they felt it was safe. They understood what it was and understood that it was a solid product. They didn't want something "like" Cars Land, they were sold on the idea of something that already has a basis in reality. Conversely, the opposition to Avatar largely predicated on people that thought the story of the movie sucked. They associated it with something they knew or understood and extrapolated it to the extent that everything associated with it would be bad.

Executives that green light movies aren't creative. I'm sure the pitch for The Lone Ranger relied largely on nostalgia. But if the original Lone Ranger didn't exist and the pitch was a great action movie / Western it probably doesn't get the green light because there aren't a lot of people making Westerns right now.

Next Big Thing

lazyboy97o

I totally get the Frozen complaint, I was just pointing out how they are taking the complete opposite strategy with Star Wars (thinking ahead, planning big things in terms of theme park projects tied to the new movies) and there were still complaints about "what if it flops"? The Star Wars strategy was the part I was calling cyclical complaining.
Ultimately, a lot of people only want the Original Trilogy over and over again. It is known and the prequels for many were a burn.

Yep, this. Please use the spoiler tag folks!
Images released by the director are not spoilers.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Well I just finished my want list to Santa Clause, it went like this.

1) For Photodave to explain to me what the heck a shinebox is?

2) For Goofyernmost to receive a bottle of Milk of Magnesia. It seems he is a bit constipated.

3) For the Mom a little reprieve from having to moderate Photodaves post.

4) For a certain Magical friends father to pull through a very serious illness.

5) For Lee to lead us all in a spirited chorus of "We wish you a Merry Christmas"

6) For some help for my Ravens in the secondary.

7) That 74 will make a showing before Christmas eve. He did get a early Christmas present....Thanks Meg!

8) For another Magical member and her family to have a wonderful holiday.

9) For the rest of the rest of WDW Magic members to show a little spirit and to pass some joy unto others.
If you are granting Christmas wishes, I'll take a couple slices from that pizza. I'm pretty hungry and it looks real good:)

When you get a chance rent Goodfellas. Great movie. Don't watch it on regular TV. You need the cursing or the movie loses something.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ultimately, a lot of people only want the Original Trilogy over and over again. It is known and the prequels for many were a burn.

Images released by the director are not spoilers.
I agree. And, I was certainly in the group that was massively disappointed by the prequels.

But, a few years back, I found out my kid was into Clone Wars, and she had never seen the original movies (including the prequels). So, we watched them all as a marathon one Saturday.

And, watching her at age 8 react to them completely changed my mind. I let go of the nerd rage and just sat back and allowed myself to enjoy the films.

Do they drag? Yes, at times. Especially the love scenes with the angst filled Anakin. Was the plot convoluted? Yes, at times. But, when taken into context with the whole series, they were all still fun.

I don't mind inclusion of them in Star Tours, or in any new development at this point. Though my favorite of them all is still 2 (er...5). Anyhow, the experience taught me that...Star Wars isn't just for my generation. It's moving on. I hated Jar Jar. My kid thought he was funny. When I saw the trailer and asked my now 10 year old about it, she thought the rolling droid was cute and the saber scene was awesome and cool. I...thought they were hokey.

Anyhow, I am reserving judgement for when the movie comes out. And, if they center on its IP for theme park development, that makes sense. They aren't building Star Wars land for my generation of fans. We got Star Tours. They are building it for my daughters generation...who don't have such nerd rage at the mention of the prequels, and grew up watching clone wars and playing with Star Wars Lego sets from all the movies instead of action figures from the first three (er...4-6).

I feel about it like I do avatar. May not be my first choice, personally, but if Disney does it well, I won't complain one bit. Now, if they go on the cheap or go hokey with it (dumb it down), I'll complain.

the.dreamfinder

Agreed that they were both bad ideas, but Lone Ranger was an enjoyable movie. The issue is they were relying on name recognition from a generation that aren't regular movie goers. It was the biggest budget for a remake as far as I know and typically those movies get green lit because executives feel that they're safe. It's like the Cars Land should come to Florida argument that was going on a few years ago. The people that wanted Cars Land wanted it because they felt it was safe. They understood what it was and understood that it was a solid product. They didn't want something "like" Cars Land, they were sold on the idea of something that already has a basis in reality. Conversely, the opposition to Avatar largely predicated on people that thought the story of the movie sucked. They associated it with something they knew or understood and extrapolated it to the extent that everything associated with it would be bad.

Executives that green light movies aren't creative. I'm sure the pitch for The Lone Ranger relied largely on nostalgia. But if the original Lone Ranger didn't exist and the pitch was a great action movie / Western it probably doesn't get the green light because there aren't a lot of people making Westerns right now.
And Disney still wonders why they never made Star Wars or ET.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom