The Spirited Back Nine ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I piece of fresh fruit is usually $1.00 to $1.25 at a convenience store too, making those particular items a bit overpriced but considering the "hostage" situation most guests are in I would not consider it price gouging.

Food prices are about 25%-30% in WDW than in most restaurants here of like quality on average, buffets not included and generally the service (as bad as many on this board make it out to be) is MUCH better than most here. Service as a whole here is absolutely terrible, terrible, terrible which directly results in any halfway decent service looking very good.

You'll notice I specifically called out Drink Prices as one area Disney does keep competitive. But $16 for a salad? $38 for a entree?

You're paying for $12+ dollar salads in your neck of the woods on average?

Lord_Vader

Join me, together we can rule the galaxy.
You'll notice I specifically called out Drink Prices as one area Disney does keep competitive. But $16 for a salad? $38 for a entree?

You're paying for $12+ dollar salads in your neck of the woods on average?

For a decent Chicken Caesar salad, close to $12. And no, I don't order them but would order the $9 burger that does not come with fries which add another $4-5 depending on whether they are sweet potato.

My main point is, food costs vary widely and the higher end areas bring with them more expensive restaurants even McDonald's (ugh) and other fast food. I am not saying $16 for a salad isn't expensive, it is. My main point is that most guests at WDW are captive for the most part unless they want to lug around food all day or leave which takes the better part of an hour to get out of the resort from MK in my experience.

When I go to Disney, I expect higher prices as I do when I do anything specifically aimed at tourists such as theme parks, zoos, stadiums, or even movie theaters.

My take, it costs me around $14 to see a movie in the evening (2hrs) and if I want popcorn and a drink another $12.00 or so. If I take my wife and son, just getting in costs me $42 and another $30 or so for the drinks and popcorn. $70 is not a cheap afternoon for a 2hr experience. We do it when there is a movie we really want to see in the theater for the experience and accept that if we choose to do it, we better pony up whether I like it or not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
For a decent Chicken Caesar salad, close to $12. And no, I don't order them but would order the $9 burger that does not come with fries which add another $4-5 depending on whether they are sweet potato.

My main point is, food costs vary widely and the higher end areas bring with them more expensive restaurants even McDonald's (ugh) and other fast food. I am not saying $16 for a salad isn't expensive, it is. My main point is that most guests at WDW are captive for the most part unless they want to lug around food all day or leave which takes the better part of an hour to get out of the resort from MK in my experience.

When I go to Disney, I expect higher prices as I do when I do anything specifically aimed at tourists such as theme parks, zoos, stadiums, or even movie theaters.

My take, it costs me around $14 to see a movie in the evening (2hrs) and if I want popcorn and a drink another $12.00 or so. If I take my wife and son, just getting in costs me $42 and another $30 or so for the drinks and popcorn. $70 is not a cheap afternoon for a 2hr experience. We do it when there is a movie we really want to see in the theater for the experience and accept that if we choose to do it, we better pony up whether I like it or not.

It cost me $200 to swim with a dolphin for 25mins... that doesn't make my $40 quick service meal a bargain. Your comparing apples and oranges as the two operate on completely different models.

Captive audiences are not reasons to justify whatever price the dictator demands as reasonable. It means you can expect non-competitive prices, but that is not a green light to gouge.

The prices are not justifiable in any means - they are simply testing the limits of what people will pay. Disney has the volume, the buying power, the preferential space, effectively zero competition and still will be some of the highest prices for the most average food around. There is no way around it. It would be like Walmart charging Guicci prices.

As long as people keep going 'oh well... its disney!' they are going to keep fisting customers and laughing all the way to the quarterly reports. The complacency just ensures Disney will see no wrong and keep doing it until its too late for you too.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
It cost me $200 to swim with a dolphin for 25mins... that doesn't make my $40 quick service meal a bargain. Your comparing apples and oranges as the two operate on completely different models.

Captive audiences are not reasons to justify whatever price the dictator demands as reasonable. It means you can expect non-competitive prices, but that is not a green light to gouge.

The prices are not justifiable in any means - they are simply testing the limits of what people will pay. Disney has the volume, the buying power, the preferential space, effectively zero competition and still will be some of the highest prices for the most average food around. There is no way around it. It would be like Walmart charging Guicci prices.

As long as people keep going 'oh well... its disney!' they are going to keep fisting customers and laughing all the way to the quarterly reports. The complacency just ensures Disney will see no wrong and keep doing it until its too late for you too.

Yes the 'It's Disney' crowd enables this kind of bad behavior from WDW, At least DL has it's local fans to keep TDA honest.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes the 'It's Disney' crowd enables this kind of bad behavior from WDW, At least DL has it's local fans to keep TDA honest.

Not when it comes to prices - they are just as addicted. Food pricing is worse in CA for the most part with the justification of 'well its California...'. But the rapid fire AP pricing changes looks to finally have broken through and pulled some from the fog.

I spend a ton on vacations.. including stupid things like paying $20 for parking to be near the front or $20 for a sports bottle. I pay when I need to because stealing would be wrong :) That doesn't mean I think the prices were justified or should be that way and that I can't speak out about them.

Cesar R M

I'd love that, but they could also get his name right. It's Staggs. Not Skaggs.
SXLp6cJ.jpg

PhotoDave219

That was my reaction when I was first told.

However the timeline we've always talked about has construction of anything - at the absolute earliest - starting in late 15/early 16 so an actual land opening in 19/20 makes sense in a timetable wise.

And im sure it makes sense to the executives who never set foot in a theme park earlier. I mean, they're above our pay grade, they must know what they're doing....

asianway

However the timeline we've always talked about has construction of anything - at the absolute earliest - starting in late 15/early 16 so an actual land opening in 19/20 makes sense in a timetable wise.

And im sure it makes sense to the executives who never set foot in a theme park earlier. I mean, they're above our pay grade, they must know what they're doing....
According to jason Garcia we don't know crap

PhotoDave219

Local fans here make up a very minute part of the audience.

Local fans in DL make up such a significant part of the audience (over 40%) that they have to limit the numbers of some APs.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not when it comes to prices - they are just as addicted. Food pricing is worse in CA for the most part with the justification of 'well its California...'. But the rapid fire AP pricing changes looks to finally have broken through and pulled some from the fog.

I spend a ton on vacations.. including stupid things like paying $20 for parking to be near the front or $20 for a sports bottle. I pay when I need to because stealing would be wrong :) That doesn't mean I think the prices were justified or should be that way and that I can't speak out about them.

Agreed on prices at DL and TDA needs to be called out on that as well.

Zac Skellington

I just can't believe they're going to leave the park in such a state, for so long...

PhotoDave219

I just can't believe they're going to leave the park in such a state, for so long...

Oh I agree with you… And my reaction is very similar to your reaction…

That's just what the heads of parks and resorts wants to do. And I really hate to be the one to put a pin in everyone's balloon and tell everyone 2020… But that's what I've been told by people who've never been wrong.

It's hard to get excited for something so far off. I mean at this rate you'll see it on DCL before you see it in Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom