The Spirited Back Nine ...

Goofyernmost

I'm an engineer I deal with schedules and timetables all the time, WDW used to allow you to go visit and 'check out' from reality - the biggest decision of the day 'Do I want to visit a park and if so which one' Now I need to create spreadsheets and GANTT charts to ensure I make all my appointments... NOT my idea of a vacation.
Here is a spot where they are really not thinking very far ahead. I can still go and still do go with no planning at all other then when I'm going to go. How is it done? You stay offsite and then you don't have to plan things down to the second. Where to eat, what park to visit, what days to skip. That is required when you have given up your ability to act independently by staying onsite and relying on Disney transportation to get you were you need to go. You are then locked in on meals, that requires planning of not only where you MAY want to eat, but also, many times, the park you can be in on any given day. (If you don't have the Hopper).

Also because it is so expensive to stay onsite, that will severely limit the amount of time you can stay there financially. That leads to trying to cram everything in as short an amount of time as possible. At some point people are going to realize that they are creating there own incarceration by convincing themselves that if they don't immerse themselves in Disney 24/7 they miss out on the experience. Well, they do miss out, but, what they miss out on is the ability to plan your own day, on that day and not have to commit months in advance and the freedom to just enjoy what they can and possibly afford to just stay in the area longer to accomplish their goals.

PhotoDave219

I don't think it's fair to place blame on people who like planning their dining in advance. Fact is, people who would otherwise not plan in advance are now doing so because Disney is allowing advance reservations 180 days in advance. It really should not be more than 7 days or so in advance to give planners and non-planners all a fair shot at reservations. IMO

No I am 100% in favor of laying blame where blame is due: at the feet of management and people thought this was a good idea.

I have not seen attitudes towards this concept changing at all. Either you love it because you're planning person like yourself or you absolutely hate it because the last thing in the world you want to do is have a preplanned vacation.

DisDan

My biggest thing? I don't know when I'm going to get off work early and decided to go to Disney… I can't plan a week out let alone 180 days out. So this entire culture all of scheduling everything in advance just gives me the impression that because I do not fit into the mold the management wants, I am not welcome.

Yea, for locals, I can see how this would be especially frustrating. Since you guys are more likely to visit on a whim, thus making it hard or impossible to do certain things or eat at certain places.

bhg469

I'm an engineer I deal with schedules and timetables all the time, WDW used to allow you to go visit and 'check out' from reality - the biggest decision of the day 'Do I want to visit a park and if so which one' Now I need to create spreadsheets and GANTT charts to ensure I make all my appointments... NOT my idea of a vacation.
Never once have I decided what parks I would visit when. I think on every one of my visits I take the first bus to come to my resort. The rest of the time was just planning around weather and our mood. Now we have to plan around our dining reservations and those are booked months in advance. Not sure if I will want a nice porter house in June, nor do I know if I will want to leave MK because it's my only chance to ride Soarin.

Kman101

The point all the pro FastPass+ folks are conveniently ignoring is that you really can't *just* wait in the standby line anymore: FastPass+ has exacerbated lines at even high capacity attractions like Haunted Mansion and Pirates. Before FastPass, all capacity was devoted to one line at all times, making standby lines significantly shorter.

What did you do without FastPass? With or without FP, rides aren't always going to be a low wait. I'm sorry the line isn't a walk on and I agree FP+ has increased the wait time on certain attractions but you CAN *just wait*. Most don't want to.

FastPass should have never been introduced. It's spoiled people.

Kman101

I don't think it's fair to place blame on people who like planning their dining in advance. Fact is, people who would otherwise not plan in advance are now doing so because Disney is allowing advance reservations 180 days in advance. It really should not be more than 7 days or so in advance to give planners and non-planners all a fair shot at reservations. IMO

I agree it's ALSO Disney's fault and I'm not trying to come off as just blaming the planners, but why did it get that way in the first place? I 100% agree it shouldn't be more than 7 days, or at least 30-60 days. 180 days is ridiculous.

bhg469

What did you do without FastPass? With or without FP, rides aren't always going to be a low wait. I'm sorry the line isn't a walk on and I agree FP+ has increased the wait time on certain attractions but you CAN *just wait*. Most don't want to.

FastPass should have never been introduced. It's spoiled people.
I've always felt universal was smart for charging for their Fastpass system. It makes it way more exclusive but doesn't inflate standby.

Kman101

So you happily waited 45-65 mins for Indy and Space? Or did you just go at a dead time.

What would you do if Fast Pass weren't there though?

I went the week following Mother's Day. I was there at rope drop and planned accordingly, I didn't need a FastPass for anything. And yes, I would wait 60 minutes if I had to (I didn't). I understand not everyone can go during a slow period, but if Fast Pass wasn't there, you'd HAVE to wait.

People just want to complain about FP+ (and I'm not defending it by any means) and I'm saying you can wait if you want to. People don't want to, and I understand that. Not saying I always do either, but again, if FastPass wasn't there, you'd have to wait if you wanted to ride.

raymusiccity

That really is frustrating.

In 2010, we took a big family Disney cruise through Northern Europe. We had cruised with Disney through the Mediterranean a few years before, and were impressed with all the beautiful merchandise we found on the cruise. When we got home, we learned that Disney had released even more merchandise that was exclusive to people that went on the first sailing, which said things like "Disney Inaugural Mediterranean Cruise," that kind of thing.

So once we made up our minds to go on the Northern European cruise, we decided we would go on the first one available, so that we could gather any similar exclusive merchandise that was available for the inaugural voyage. We even paid a bit more for the privilege of doing so.

So imagine our shock when we went to a Disney store in Orlando later that year, and found shelves filled with "Northern European Inaugural Cruise" merchandise. :( Not only was the merchandise being sold to people that didn't have to go on a Disney cruise at all, but it was discounted significantly from what we had to pay for it. We felt very insulted that Disney would put it in a generic Disney store after we paid higher prices and flew to Europe to go on an inaugural sailing.

I wish I'd taken a picture.

Not a big deal. Sort of like people buying NYPD baseball caps or Disneyland shirts on the East Coast. They just like the brand.

doctornick

What would you do if Fast Pass weren't there though?

I went the week following Mother's Day. I was there at rope drop and planned accordingly, I didn't need a FastPass for anything. And yes, I would wait 60 minutes if I had to (I didn't). I understand not everyone can go during a slow period, but if Fast Pass wasn't there, you'd HAVE to wait.

People just want to complain about FP+ (and I'm not defending it by any means) and I'm saying you can wait if you want to. People don't want to, and I understand that. Not saying I always do either, but again, if FastPass wasn't there, you'd have to wait if you wanted to ride.

I'll just add that I think some of what people complain about that standby is intolerable is a lack of "slow seasons" and more overall people at the parks. Fastpass certainly worsens standby wait times, but I suspect wait times would be worse than the good old days even without it.

bhg469

I'll just add that I think some of what people complain about that standby is intolerable is a lack of "slow seasons" and more overall people at the parks. Fastpass certainly worsens standby wait times, but I suspect wait times would be worse than the good old days even without it.
Lack of good people eaters is more responsible than anything really. If mine train was a complete dark ride and was an omni mover type ride, it would significantly reduce the bodies in other areas. And I mean a good dark ride with elevation changes like haunted mansion not little mermaid.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Lack of good people eaters is more responsible than anything really. If mine train was a complete dark ride and was an omni mover type ride, it would significantly reduce the bodies in other areas. And I mean a good dark ride with elevation changes like haunted mansion not little mermaid.

It's not as much about being an omni mover... as it is about how many people are in it at one time. That's a factor of length and vehicle setup. [vehicle count]x[vehicle capacity]x[ride duration] .. roughly. You don't want rides to eat people up and spit them right back out.. you need high capacity eating people and HOLDING them.

Figments Friend

Making the trip out west in less than two months now. I'm so excited :D I can't wait for Indiana Jones and Cars Land :)

I am happy for you Mike...you will love it out there!
Disneyland helps put many things into a better perspective.
Go with a open mind, and savor.
It*s a completely different vibe there and far more intimate and relaxing.
You will notice the pleasant difference right away.

Also, since this will be your first time experiencing the *Indiana Jones Adventure*, do NOT use the *Single Rider* option for your first (and second ) ride!
If you do, you will MISS half of the amazing experience. Trust me.
Fast Pass is okay....but DO NOT use SR your first few times through!
SR completely bypasses the stunning, elaborately themed queue experience through the Temple...a absolute MUST do, especially for your first few rides!

Dr. Jones would want you to get the full and complete experience, and so would I.
Heed these words of wisdom, and *choose wisely*.
:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom